Movies / TV Shows!

+
To fill the hole that True Detective left me with (finale was great btw) I started watching Deadwood which is really quite good so far, not a lot of action but extremely good dialogue, and Al Swearengen might be one of the best villains ever. So I do approve.
Great show! Some really trippy dialogue. Al Swearengen is amazing, it's mostly down to the acting. I also liked the doctor.

As a True Detective viewer, this is damn accurate lol
LOL Got to hand it to both Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Seeing they were in the lead roles made me disinclined to like the series, but they had me by minute 10 of the first episode. I stopped watching and made the husbando binge watch the rest of them so we could be caught up for the finale. I'm not sure how they're going to top it next season, but I look forward to seeing them try.

Yeah I like deGrasse the Pluto killer, he's an informative & personable academic, so I'm looking forward to this series. The original was superb and launched many a career in science, or love of the stars. Carl Sagan was a superstar himself, and an open mind who embraced ambiguity in his memorable quote:

"absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

Succinct.

while sagan contributed to generating interest in science and making it mainstream and "cool", he was also a pothead and a believer of silly ideas. that quote you gave was a good example because it's a logical fallacy.

I just finished watching the latest episode of Vikings, bloody wonderful I tell you: Very brutal in it's depiction of raiding, and the battle scenes are just such a joy: Proper use of archery, barricades and shield walls.

LOL Got to hand it to both Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Seeing they were in the lead roles made me disinclined to like the series, but they had me by minute 10 of the first episode. I stopped watching and made the husbando binge watch the rest of them so we could be caught up for the finale. I'm not sure how they're going to top it next season, but I look forward to seeing them try.

My therapist was literally disgusted with Matthew, didn't like anything about him, but then he saw TD, and he's all of a sudden among his favorite actors, so you're not alone in that.

So the last two episodes of Vikings were quite good. The show is really starting to open up and the actors feel like they inhabit their roles now. The result is all the leads are more interesting, especially Ragnar, Athelstan and Siggy. Ragnar is subtly changing, looking more to a stable future via political angling and farming. But what happens back home while he's in England might change all that. Siggy is clever as a fox and ambitious. "women should be friends...and rule" Loved that line. Rollo is a mess and confused, a hard role to play. As a viewer it's hard to empathize with him when he makes so many bad choices. Athelstan has become the warrior but the scene in the monastery where he's reminded of his past was a nice touch. He'll never let go of his English roots. By far my favorite moment in the last episode was the little girl hiding in the grain house. Ragnar, you softy :p
The only downside is the battle scenes aren't as good as they were in season one. The brutal skirmishes between 1-4 warriors were done much better than the large scale battles. And they show people from both sides being less than tactical. It's unlikely The Vikings just wandered up to their quarry without an element of surprise. Many times they sought to trade instead, or to extract tribute through intimidation. Yet the show consistently depicts them as warriors who gave no forethought to their raiding.

Last edited:
Hannibal. Two very good actors, the actor who plays Will Graham is very, very good. I hope we'll see more of him. I was already convinced by Mikkelsen.

Just saw Grand Budapest Hotel. Very entertaining, a wonder of a movie.

Hannibal. Two very good actors, the actor who plays Will Graham is very, very good. I hope we'll see more of him. I was already convinced by Mikkelsen.

Great show, but I swear the sound of the dialogues is literally ten times lower, that the intense scenes. My ears are bleeding.

Also started to watch True Detective - seems amazing, at first glance. And also Arrow - little bit cringy, more traditional, but still very good.

Last edited:
Since I have free Sunday afternoons and Monday mornings now with True Detective over, I decided to finally give Breaking Bad a shot. Marathoned the whole season one - it's not that long since it's only seven episodes.

First impressions ? Very interesting premise. Chemistry teacher partners up with his former student to cook meth, when he learns that he has inoperable lung cancer. All that to pay for his treatments and apparently secure the financial future of his family. I have to say, that as Pole I find this all quite bizzare given that our universal health care covers cancer in all types :p

I like those types of scenarios however, no matter how unebelievable they seem to me. "America" is what I usually say [and then shrug my shoulders]. Your average man finds himself in dire straits and turns to crime, showing us the glimpses of the underworld - in this case of drug making. I know nothing about this stuff and I doubt that BB strives for realism in that aspect - it's TV, therefore it demands certain mindset. How else could you accept the very convienent fact that Walt has a brother-in-law in DEA, that is suuuurely gonna be going after him in future seasons. And a baby on its way! And cancer !

I give the season one props for using great music! I am writing this listening to the Out of Time Man and generally speaking I have no bad words to say about it in terms of sound design. Cinematography is another standout, though I have to say I've been spoiled by True Detective and its high-budget, Breaking Bad isn't showing off in any way in that regard... and I don't mind. Careful shots and hand-held camera give it a certain feel. Love the New Mexico setting as well !

So yeah... I am hooked. Sorry for skipping over the characters and story stuff, but it's a material for a longer write-up. I guess I will be making a video review, once I sort my thoughts about that. If there is one thing that stands out to me more that the others is the fact how your "average" man on the verge of death finds motivation and even certain "fulfillment" in his criminal operations. Thrills of living on the edge and realization that death is near, perhaps ?

Last edited:
@Luxorek

you might have missed a lot of details, especially if you watched Breaking Bad as quick as you say.

Walt gets into drugs BECAUSE his brother is a DEA agent. Also a huge part of the show consists of subtle nuances in facial and body expression. It may not have any flashy effects but the acting is among the best you'll find in television.

Don't try to binge watch this show, you'll be missing out too much. And btw about future seasons... you really have no idea :p

First impressions ? Very interesting premise. Chemistry teacher partners up with his former student to cook meth, when he learns that he has inoperable lung cancer. All that to pay for his treatments and apparently secure the financial future of his family. I have to say, that as Pole I find this all quite bizzare given that our universal health care covers cancer in all types :p

I like those types of scenarios however, no matter how unebelievable they seem to me. "America" is what I usually say [and then shrug my shoulders].

Aye that's why there was a comic:
Breaking Bad: Anywhere but America Edition

Walt gets into drugs BECAUSE his brother is a DEA agent.

Does he ? If you look at it just to see what gave him the idea it was indeed the TV broadcast of Hank busting some meth makers and their stash of money. This prompted Walt to go on that ride-along to see a real lab for himself. I doubt he would even go anywhere with that, if it wasn't for Jesse being a "fortunate" acquaintance from the past.

Ultimately, if it wasn't for the CANCER and Walt's desperate need for money he propably wouldn't even touch the stuff. That's the catalyst. I imagine he though he didn't have much life in him left and would die before being caught - now, I don't know what happens yet in later seasons, but since there is 5 of them I imagine there is some remission going on :p That or they really stretched the time narrative.

Besides... I mentioned Walt's brother-in-law being a DEA agent, because it's simply a very convenient thing for the show to have. I don't have to be a seer to know who's gonna be after Heisenberg in future seasons :p BUT please no spoilers.

Looks interesting.... DAT CAST

though seems it needs backing for something.
The movie looks interesting, but...

Kickstarter, seriously? They have no shame. They got Charles Dance, Sean Bean, but they missed 250.000$? They choose nerds' favourite actors for a reason. And really far from being the best choices for Duncan and Macbeth if you ask me. While watching this I was "oh, ok, Games of Thrones-Harry Potter-Sean Bean will die-slow motion battles". Their casting already foretells the movie will be made anyway.
:facepalm:

"We now need to raise the budget and, just as importantly, prove to the world there is an audience out there for this film."
> We needed to market our movie. Free marketing is overrated. Let's make you pay for it.
"All money raised from this campaign will go towards taking the film into pre-production. This will allow us to create the concept art, storyboards, scout locations and begin work on the costumes, sets, and a host of other things. Having all those additional elements in place will help us secure the final production budget."
> Please help us secure our budget (o_0). Meanwhile other people are trying their best and succeed with less than 250k.

Kickstarter should be left to people who actually need it.

It's unbelievable.

Last edited:
Contextually speaking yes, Walt gets into that business out of necessity due to the particulars of his health system, but that is just a premise. You'll see how things evolve and what goes on with him as a character.

If you place any other show out of context it will also seem pointless. Just keep watching!

Oh yeaaah ! Incredibles is gotta be one of my favourite animated movies of all time. Still holds up incredibly well [pun intended]. Here's hoping they got Brad Bird on board again.

Top Bottom