Cutting of limbs and similar violent animations...

+
Geralt the terminator crushing people's head :) While I agree with you that Geralt crushing heads is ridicules, I strongly believe that Geralt in Wtcher 3 is going to be extremely more violent than in the books and previous games. Geralt in Witcher 3 is a different person from the books and previous games, because he is unstable. His life from the books or his lost memories and the new life and perspective on the world from games are now colliding, riddling him with confusion and anger (when you don't remember something that makes you angry). As far as he knows the hunt is responsible for this situation, and the hunt is threatening the life of all his loved ones including his friends. He sees one path, killing and destroying the wild Hunt and whoever that stands in his way to save his loved ones. He has to do it fast because he is short on time. Any bandit or animal that stands in his way is an obstacle and no different than the wild hunt itself to him. I believe he would resort to violence even when it comes to gathering information about the hunt. He also feels the fact the the hunt would go after his loved ones is his fault. I assume the hunt is going after his loved ones, because that is how they got to him the first time by snatching Yennefer.

You got a point there ;-) Would make sense if he's in a hurry and thus acting "abnormal" for the sake of his beloved ones

Completely agree with caspartine and pedrolago. I think the reason Geralt's killing of humans in the books feels so much more brutal than the killing in the games is because they're not just about killing. There is much more emphasis on character development and character interaction, which lends a lot more weight to those situations when Geralt does kill people. Similarly, I don't think it's just the animations that need to change in the games to change the player's perception of killing, but the entire implementation of combat - as caspartine put it, the '-1 enemy, +10 XP' mentality has to change, which probably means that the game would feature less killing (and, in the eyes of some, less gameplay).

However, I think it's more an interesting thought for now than something we'll actually see in TW3 - although CDPR don't seem afraid to deviate from industry tropes in general, I don't think this is what they're trying to do with the Witcher 3 just yet. But maybe, in a couple of years, we will see killing change from a simple gameplay mechanic to something which actually causes the player to feel empathy towards the characters in the game.

Reading your post, one particular scene came to my mind. For those, who read the saga:
Bonhart killing the Rats, especially Mistle, after Ciri's arrival at the scene, and the beheadings after
Now I will stray from the topic, but bear with me. I share your doubts, maybe we have to wait for something like that, but - back to the spoiler - no matter how gruesome the scene is, now matter how realistically you would depict it in the game, it's true impact would only come with proper narration. And that's where the team has my full trust.

The only beheading I "enjoyed"(can't believe I am saying that lol) was when Geralt beheaded Marietta Loredo in TW2. She asked for it when she attacked a cranky witcher.

Otherwise I don't think the game should go too much down that road.It needs to be appropriately used just like everything else.

I would also like to so some other cool animations for example: You are fighting a soldier and after you cut of his hand or whatever he falls on the ground and is still alive and starts rolling and screaming or maybe crawl .. And you can finish him of in a "Samurai" style with your sword or maybe crush his head ( NO QTE) . In my opinion this animations are highly violent but they only increase the immersion and reality of war. They must include these kind of things.

All I want is the ability to stab him in the back as he's crawling.

All I want is the ability to stab him in the back as he's crawling.
You know when you cut off someone's hand, they can still run. I don't see the point in crawling if someone cut my hand off, I would run as fast as I can so I don't get killed. Now if someone cut off your leg, you have to crawl, and then you get stabbed in the back.

More than the complicated animations itself I would prefer better blood "physics" - so to say. Blood flowing from underneath the body for example.
And even more importantly, the sounds. It bothers me in so many games, that people die silently.
Yes sometimes it can happen, after a quick blow. But most of the time its agony, even if not a psychical one.

Last edited:
More than the complicated animations itself I would prefer better blood "physics" - so to say. Blood flowing from underneath the body for example.
And even more importantly, the sounds. It bothers me in so many games, that people die silently.
Yes sometimes it can happen, after a quick blow. But most of the time its agony, even if not a psychical one.
Well if they do that they will need alot of good voice actors. Meh.. I dont know what to say, I think it would be a waste of money and time to make everyone crying on the ground as they lay dying. I mean if you are really going to die after that almost fatal blow I doubt you would make much noise. Yeah if your hand gets cut off you might say FUCK or OMG over and over but the true nature of pain comes in waves and when you are in the middle of some real life and death pain, one ought to be silent and still. Or smoke some weed. Just kidding about that last part, no I'm not go smoke some weed :)

Last edited:
In TW2 Geralt doesn't allow much room for agony, most, if not all of his moves are quick and clean. When you break a bone or cut off a finger it takes a couple of seconds for the pain to really kick in, there's simply not enough time for them to moan unless Geralt's having an off day.

Apart from the fact that Geralt's in his prime (If that even applies to witchers), he's not a sadist. When Geralt lands a blow it's usually the last when it comes to humans.

Apart from the fact that Geralt's in his prime (If that even applies to witchers), he's not a sadist. When Geralt lands a blow it's usually the last when it comes to humans.

I would correct it a bit, and that will explain the difference - his blows are lethal, yes. That doesn't mean they kill instantly. Not according to the books anyway.

I would correct it a bit, and that will explain the difference - his blows are lethal, yes. That doesn't mean they kill instantly. Not according to the books anyway.

Well no but in the sense that he doesn't leave his opponents in agony. Letho's death is an accurate portrayal, since there's only a second or two of hang time before he hits the ground.

@caspartine and @Ðarkstar well you both have a point. Geralt is described as finishing opponents fast with lethal blows, but at the same time there are parts where the opponents do not die instantly and die in agony, pain, and disbelief. @Sagitarii At the end of the day I am against opponents dying in agony while yelling and moaning. It would just get really annoying after 3 hours let alone 50-100 hours. It's a game that you are supposed to enjoy, and it's not supposed to cause post traumatic stress disorder after being played for 50-100 hours.

@Sagitarii At the end of the day I am against opponents dying in agony while yelling and moaning. It would just get really annoying after 3 hours let alone 50-100 hours. It's a game that you are supposed to enjoy, and it's not supposed to cause post traumatic stress disorder after being played for 50-100 hours.
You might be right, it might get annoying, but of course I didn't mean they should to overdo it.

I won't agree with the second part though - the content that is presented, doesn't have to affect how enjoyable the game is. We are talking about Witcher here, where there is rape, death and torture everywhere (that sounded more metal than it should), but still it's a very enjoyable game. It's all matter of HOW it's done.

You might be right, it might get annoying, but of course I didn't mean they should to overdo it.

I won't agree with the second part though - the content that is presented, doesn't have to affect how enjoyable the game is. We are talking about Witcher here, where there is rape, death and torture everywhere (that sounded more metal than it should), but still it's a very enjoyable game. It's all matter of HOW it's done.
You have to take into consideration how the he rape, death, and torture is handled in the previous games. We never see anyone explicitly and realistically get raped or tortured, and that is why the games are very enjoyable. In Witcher 1 we know that Ilsa was raped but we never see her getting raped, we know the children were molested but we never see them getting molested. In Witcher 2 we know Morrill was constantly raped and tortured by Loredo but we never see it happening, we get small glimpses of Ves getting sexually harassed by Loredo but Geralt steps in before the rape happens explicitly, we know Ves was raped by Henselt but we never see her getting raped, we know Triss was tortured but we never see it, we know Anais was molested by Dethmold and Boussy killed but we don't see it, finally we know that Philipa gets her eyes gouged out but the camera zooms some where else and we don't see it , and so on. CDPR uses very smart and non-immersion breaking methods to handle these situations, and keep the game enjoyable and free of stuff non-sadists do not like to see. I don't think any of us would like to see constant realistic and explicit rape scenes in our games, because we can't handle it psychologically.

In the case of opponents' agony, moaning, and yelling before death, not only it gets annoying but it also is actually unrealistic. Most of the time before you die specially after getting stabbed in vital organs by a sword your body goes to shock, leading to diaphragm's complete or partial paralysis, causing heavy and fast breathing or cardiac arrest, so people cannot yell or even talk before death in most cases. That's why people can't yell when they are having a heart attack. The only time opponents get to make sounds of agony is when you have to go back and finish them off, and Geralt never has to go back and finish injured opponents off because his sword blows are lethal in the games.

Last edited:
You know when you cut off someone's hand, they can still run. I don't see the point in crawling if someone cut my hand off, I would run as fast as I can so I don't get killed. Now if someone cut off your leg, you have to crawl, and then you get stabbed in the back.

That would depend on how high their threshold of pain is. I've experienced injuries that left me in a fetal position on the floor, even though all my limbs were still attached and functioning.

Top Bottom