Witcher 3 music

+
I would say the fault's somewhere in the middle, between Zimmer and whoever employs him to make music - and yes, I use the word 'make' instead of 'compose', because I view Zimmer as a craftsman rather than an artist. And I have no doubt his music contributes to overall financial success of the movies it's part of. But still, regardless of any business deals he might be involved in, he still takes responsibility for his work, and it's this work that is the foundation on which I base my opinion of Zimmer as a composer.

It's not the scale that makes a composer, but the quality of his music. And Zimmer lacks in this regard.

No, his music is of the highest artistry. Hans Zimmer is not some studio hack. This is the bloke who scored The Lion King, The Dark Knight, and 12 Years a Slave. He's arguably the finest movie composer working today.

But it is all wrong for the Witcher games.

~Yennefer, where are you!?~ TW3 main theme. :rofl:

Last edited:
Yes, trash music for trashy films.

There's zero sentiment, atmosphere, tradition into -insertanyrandomZimmertrack- . It's all marketing. Pretentious, banal, cacophonous, boring and repetitive to the point to make your brain explode. Won't forget Pirates of the Caribbean's soundtrack. I can't unfortunately.

Even the Pirates of Penzance made a better soundtrack.

If you think Zimmer is "kewl" try listening something like: Basil Poledouris, Inon Zur, Michael Hoening, Jason Hayes... and (for godsake) Skorupa.

I respect all the guys here who say Hans Zimmer's music doesn't fit the witcher because it's their opinion.. Mine is that it fits.

But you on the other hand calling his music trash ..well that escalated quickly.

I respect all the guys here who say Hans Zimmer's music doesn't fit the witcher because it's their opinion.. Mine is that it fits.

But you on the other hand calling his music trash ..well that escalated quickly.

Those are my arguements and facts for not liking Zimmer, thus I wouldn't find his music fitting anything, from TW to Super Mario. Not agree with me? ok, I respect that.

Can't I say that Zimmer is overestimated? Or must I simply adapt and obey to the common audience accustomed to the last Hollywood trends, because they said so?
It's my personal opinion and I am possibly alone in this as far as I can see.

Last edited:
http://vk.com/wall-14777224_66441

Interview with Percival Schuttenbach. Making Music for The Witcher 3.

Community group "Vedmak" from VKontakte interviewed Christina Bogdanova, a member of a Polish group "Percival Schuttenbach". The Group has been creating music for The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - the final part of the legendary adventures of Geralt of Rivia.

Gr.Vedmak : Hello. Please introduce yourself.

Christina : Hi my name is Christina , I'm from the group Percival Schuttenbach.

Gr.Vedmak : Nice to meet you. Tell us how you and your group joined CD Project Red team?

Christina: It's very simple . We received an invitation to participate in the creation of music for the game " The Witcher 3" by email. Later we discussed about the date of recording and soon after this, we visited their head office in Warsaw with the full instrumentation, and then began our work together .

Gr.Vedmak : Music for The Witcher 3 write only you or is there any other group or individual working with CD Project Red?

Christina: As far as I know, the music you hear in the game - a synthesis of our music and music of compositors from CD Project Red. I haven't heard anything about involvement of other musical groups.

Gr.Vedmak : What style of music will be in The Witcher 3? Will it mostly be an emphasis in the traditional folk style, as in the first game, or with a touch of orchestral music with folk, as in the second?

Christina : At the moment it remains in mystery and probably for distributors of music themselves. I can only say that the live instruments can be heard, but what about the percentage of samples are to orchestration yet difficult to speak.

Gr.Vedmak : Tell us about your work with developers. About their relationship with new people in the company, how easy is it to work with them?
*In general, what are your impressions of working with the studio?

Christina : I think it was one of the most enjoyable joint work in our history . Beside the fact that the creative process was easy and relaxed ( in the breaks we could have a rest : a cup of tea , read a book , chat with colleagues and even play games ) , we also learned a new " chip " , opened a new opportunities as recording instruments and individual approach. Working with guys was (and is not yet come to an end ) just wonderful ! And comfort in the studio allowed us to focus on the music and atmosphere of The Witcher at 100% .

(Record of the main theme of the game The Witcher 3)

Gr.Vedmak : While creating music for the final part of trilogy, have you a look at the gameplay itself ? After all, when you create a musical accompaniment in the game to feel the atmosphere of all regions and locations .
*How like the music from The Witcher 1 towards to The Witcher 3?

Christina : When creating the music we mostly did not use images from the game. Because of several reasons, such as skilful and logic . For example, in some aspects the creators wanted us to play here a "our motive , like at the concert... In addition, we recorded the music in different ways , see images , The Witcher posters in office ( walls themselves were imbued with the spirit of the game ) , therefore, create music , we first listened to each other and the game composers . And certainly it is not only a name of our group is called Percival Schuttenbach... Sapkowski himself running in our veins ," once said out leader Mikolaj . Very hard to say how and what in music will be different from the first game, of the third . This question will answer implementors sound or creators of the game . I'm not sure that I have the right to assess these things with the mind ! I really like the music from the TW1. And TW3 - while it 's sound great, let's see what will happen next.

Gr.Vedmak : Can you give us an audition or some music track from the game? Just a little bit ;)

Christina: We don't have new material and we're even don't have a rights on it.
*But will be taken excerpts from our ready-made tracks (see below) , they will be slightly altered and will be taken fragments ( as in the trailer for VGX).

Percival Schuttenbach - Sargon

Percival Schuttenbach - Dziewczyna Swarożyca

Percival Schuttenbach - Jomsborg

Gr.Vedmak : Finally please tell us a few words of your own. Thank you.

Christina : I hope that you'll like the music you hear in The Witcher 3. I also hope that people will appreciate our modest contribution to this ambitious project . I would like to believe that we get turned this game into the world of The Witcher and complement the powerful beats and .... hmmm ..... its live instruments . We also look forward to the game with their fans and fans RPG. We would love to share with you a lot of our folk. If you feel the lack of it in the game " The Witcher 3" , then you are welcome on our concerts.. All the best and see you at the concerts !

Gr.Vedmak : Thank you for the interview, looking forward to the musical material from the game and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt . Have a nice day .
*Questions: "Vedmak" community and Alexander Mikheyev.
*Interviewer : Geralt of Novgorod aka Alexander Mikheyev.
*Interviews gave Christina Bogdanova .
Specially for the group "Vedmak" .

Sorry for using GT, ask me if something not understandable.. :(

Last edited:
Interesting, CDPR gave them no guidance whatsoever, the artists having full freedom in what they produce. Very curious to hear what they came up with, but judging by their other tracks it will be something awesome. :) Thanks, Валькирия.

Their sound seems a perfect fit for the game. Are they really composing the main theme themselves?

Yes, Persival will record instrumental part of main theme, and then studio composers add some orchestral parts (or maybe don't), that's what I understand.

Yes, Persival will record instrumental part of main theme, and then studio composers add some orchestral parts (or maybe don't), that's what I understand.

Thanks for posting the interview. The translation works fine.

It sounds like what will happen is that there will be an orchestration stage. At this stage, the music director will remix, sample, add live or synthesized parts to, and otherwise cut, chop, and mangle the music to fit the Procrustean bed of the game's needs. I'd say the themes will be theirs; the performances will be theirs. But what comes out in the game will have been colored, stretched, and cut to fit the moods, visuals, and timings of the game.

Top Bottom