Cannot get game to run

+
Cannot get game to run

I just bought the US version of the game (enhanced ed) and installed it without any issues. However I cannot get the game to run.The intro movie pays fine (the one where Geralt is fighting the striga). At the main menu I choose "new game" and the PC crashed and rebooted some time into the intro video that plays.Later on I tried again and hit escape to bypass the intro movies. The game loads, but before I can do anything it crashed again.I need tips and troubleshooting suggestions. Thanks.My PC specs:WinXP Home SP2Intel CPU 3.4 GHz2 GB RAMAsus EAX1600XT vid card

get a newer ATI driver, a newer DirectX, BTW SP3 for XP is available also get all the in game settings on LOW, and retry

Newer DX? You mean 9.0c isn't the latest?Need a bit of time to do all that. Will post results here within a few days.Thanks.Edi: I meant 9.0c is the latest version of DX 9 isn't it? I know there's DX 10 but I don't think my card can handle it, can it? It's an ATI X1600XT.

Ok.So far upgrading to SP3 + latest catalyst drivers (8.9) has made no difference. It always crashes in the intro movie after selecting a new game - the part where someone in a white shirt is running through the forest.

ZeroNiner said:
Ok.So far upgrading to SP3 + latest catalyst drivers (8.9) has made no difference. It always crashes in the intro movie after selecting a new game - the part where someone in a white shirt is running through the forest.
try to disable EAX, try to skip the intro movies, oh and do register your game, as registered users get more attention here :p

EAX is not enabled in the main menu ("options"), and I turned down sound acceleration one notch as suggested in other posts.I've installed the latest version of DX 9.0c (thanks for the link) but I haven't tried the game yet. Will do so and post results here.

Update: doesn't work either. I tried the sound fix posted somewhere else, that failed too.:(Edit: Game registered too.

the sound fix is for game crashing right at startdid you install any of the new Adventures? can you test those too?

Uninstall the game, perform all system maintenance procedures run regcure or similar product. It looks like you've done all the updates. If your using a duo core processor check on that subject article somewhere here in forum. Chech your list of updates in Add/Remove programs tab and make sure your processor is fixed if need be. Run "DXDIAG" in run command and make sure your graphics card is working correctly. Also in graphics settings see if you can set it to "let gaming or applications decide settings" or something like that--especially when it comes to AntiAliasing. If not reset settings to Default and turn AntiAliasing off--I've had nothing but problems with this setting for most games. Reinstall the game, play through the Intro and get to start of chapter 1 at outskirts in save. At this point--granted you get this far-- you can try installing the EE upgrade patch if needed as there isn't really anything special in the intro for the EE upgrade anyhow. Good luck!

Sorry, what do mean by different ATI drivers? Originally I had one from last year, then I upgraded to the latest. Both made no difference. I even tried Omega drivers without any luck.

Top Bottom