The Cooking Thread

+

The Cooking Thread

• Total voters

Forum veteran
So I made mozzaspaghettibutteritos today. Basically, you take a tortilla, pour cooked spaghetti into it, cover it in mozzarella and a little butter, then microwave it for a minute and a half before folding up and eating. There's no better way to fix hunger. Or living, if you eat enough of them.

Does that count as "cooking"? You people are insane overachievers, making food that takes longer than a few minutes to prepare. Patience of saints.

We make a nice blackened chicken with honey and garlic rubbed on it. I usually cook it in the oven at 350 for half an hour or more, then ramp the heat to max, put it in the broiler skin-down, flip it after, ohh...20 minutes? When nicely blackened but before the skin sticks. Pull it out, flip it, rub whatever sauce you are using on the top, put it in until nicely charred. So good.

OK, sounds good, and I do like my chicken well-cooked, but I was looking for the kind of recipe where it's just the coating that's blackened (cajun-style) rather than than blackening by burning the chicken.
@227 - so is there anything in that dish other than carbs and fat? Not criticising, of course, just asking.

I did grilled salmon with moringa pesto and baked potato today. It took 15 minutes.

I chose last because:
A) never done it myself cause I'm loser at it.
B )You didn't put microwave as an option.
C) My mom does it better anyway.

OK, sounds good, and I do like my chicken well-cooked, but I was looking for the kind of recipe where it's just the coating that's blackened (cajun-style) rather than than blackening by burning the chicken.

@227 - so is there anything in that dish other than carbs and fat? Not criticising, of course, just asking.

I did grilled salmon with moringa pesto and baked potato today. It took 15 minutes.

It is the coating that's blackened - the broiler sets fire to the skin, basically. That's the point of the honey, although you can get by with most other sauces/rubs as well.

The chicken itself runs the risk of being undercooked, not overcooked. Thus the cooking times are all guesses - you want the juice to run clear.

Oh, I should have mentioned - you have to split the chicken in half lengthwise or this is impossible with any regular-sized chicken.

Same trick would work just fine on fish, only don't precook it, since fish is more delicate and you're fine if it's undercooked a bit.

When blackening, the trick is a hot pan/broiler and a good glaze/rub.

For some reason I tend to have more faith in everyone here (except Suhiir) for cooking tips than "proper" cooking sites, despite the general characterisation of gamers (except for Suhiir, and possibly Sard) as living on Mountain Dew and Pizza.

See, I knew you were smart!

I bought myself some fresh Salmon the other day. Had it with a mix of veg. I can't say I knew what else to do with it though, a cook I am not and in the end it was no different to cooking my usual frozen fish and meats.

I bought myself some fresh Salmon the other day. Had it with a mix of veg. I can't say I knew what else to do with it though, a cook I am not and in the end it was no different to cooking my usual frozen fish and meats.

Try it grilled with a liberal coating of black pepper.

After @oedo-808 mentioned this, I had to look it up. And now I want one. Anyone else had any?

http://fooddonelight.com/mango-guanabana-smoothie/

Last edited:
After @oedo-808 mentioned this, I had to look it up. And now I want one. Anyone else had any?

Fixed your image, welp.

Guanabana indeed is absolutely delicious. The juice tastes very much like Wrigleys Juicy Fruit. If I remember Juicy fruit correctly; it's been a while since I had them. My favourite fruit juice, no doubt.

My local asian goods shop sells the Rubicon ones.

Apparently they are not available on amazon (the original site, that is) but the german amazon site sells them. Unfortunately for double the price as my store does. And I wouldn't bet that they ship to the US.

I recommend trying it - but no experiments with other fruits, stick to the Rubicon version (Thicker, made with additonal fruit purée, very tasty).

a banana discussion ...........:hmm:

and this in the news section...........................oh god we really need real news here soon :facepalm:

Last edited:
We have..truly fallen. To bananas. I AM NOW SCOOPING THIS UP AND MOVING IT TO COOKING.

Man, that thread gets more action than Reptile during Conjugal Visit Week at the Pen.

I'm told it's not size that matters.

By...disinterested third parties!

Don't know about that. Generally speaking, the bigger the banana, the more it weighs. And you pay for them depending on how much they weigh, not how many there are.

Sure, but big bananas tend not to be as good for eating, they're the kind you just slice in half and deep fry in batter.
And small ones tend to be soft, so they should be mashed into a puree and used in peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
Medium-sized bananas are definitely the best.

Forum veteran
Where on earth is this supposed banana discussion in the news forum? Did it get moved? Deleted? Is there an anti-banana conspiracy afoot?

Whatever size bananas they use in banana cream pie are the best. There are few things as blissful as banana cream in your mouth.

Sure, but big bananas tend not to be as good for eating, they're the kind you just slice in half and deep fry in batter.
And small ones tend to be soft, so they should be mashed into a puree and used in peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
Medium-sized bananas are definitely the best.

This...this was the most horrific paragraph I have read in months. Possibly years. "they should be mashed into puree.."!!! What.The.Fuck. I just...it..that...
Some of us have -respect- for our bananas!

Has your cruelty, your vicious banana-hating mania, no end? DO YOU NOT FEEL REMORSE?

Whatever size bananas they use in banana cream pie are the best. There are few things as blissful as banana cream in your mouth.

Now, this I found arousing. Between Dragon goddamn slicing, mashing and deep-frying my fruits and Also-not-one talking about his cream, I'm starting to wonder if I'm batting for the wrong side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom