Why we shouldn't trust Triss

+
Why we shouldn't trust Triss

Maybe someone else has mentioned this, but I'm playing through the games again and noticing so many things that are making me excited to see what choices I'll have in Witcher 3, and I want to talk about it.

So the Rose of Remembrance that Triss is desperate for you to get when she sees you're recovering your memory? I can't help but feel that her intent with the rose of remembrance is actually to cast the same spell on you that Philippa casts on Saskia to take control of her. Triss is clearly caught up in the schemes of the Lodge and she knows that Geralt will eventually catch onto it. And knowing the events of the books now, Triss lived with unrequited love she had for Geralt. I see Triss as someone desperate to keep Geralt both sleeping with her and from catching onto her. Triss is not trustworthy, and the fact that sorceresses in general are not trustworthy is so plain having read the books as I have and then replaying the games.

Does anybody else feel this way? I can see ulterior motives in everything Triss does and says now.

I think Triss is desperate to keep Geralt for herself. But she's not caught up in the Lodge's plans; she's been cut out of them. She wants to keep Geralt out of them too.

Triss was naive in her dealings with the Lodge and other powers. She gave them too much information and assistance, and they left her hanging when she needed them. She's a very young, very small fish in a sea full of big old sharks. But I believe that's all she is.

She is so stuck on Geralt that she would pull sorcery on him to keep him for herself, though. That much I agree with Especially now that Geralt knows about Yennefer,

I think Triss is desperate to keep Geralt for herself. But she's not caught up in the Lodge's plans; she's been cut out of them. She wants to keep Geralt out of them too.

Triss was naive in her dealings with the Lodge and other powers. She gave them too much information and assistance, and they left her hanging when she needed them. She's a very young, very small fish in a sea full of big old sharks. But I believe that's all she is.

She is so stuck on Geralt that she would pull sorcery on him to keep him for herself, though. That much I agree with Especially now that Geralt knows about Yennefer,

Meh I do not think she would go that far. SHe clinged on to Geralt because she didn't know what happened to Yennefer, she probably thought she was dead. In spite of everything, Yennefer is her best friend, so my guess is she will let go eventually. Or Yennefer will make her.

I agree with StaGiors, I do not think Triss would go that far. There has always been a somewhat obscure line between them that is drawn by Geralt called "friendship," and Triss knows that and respects that, although she is hopelessly in love with him nonetheless. This is exactly one of the strongest side of the game and why I love this saga so much -- the characters are so different from your generic archetypes and scriptbook story arc -- Triss is no delicate, needy princess, and Geralt is no shinning knight in the rescue. Their commitment to each other is a very adult, mature one. So yes I do believe if Geralt does make his choice Triss would understand and only wish for the best for him, not because she gives up but because their relationship has evolved into something much greater. < ------ this just all suddenly sound pathetically romantic absolutely love it XD

Being said that, it is you who will ultimately decide what to think of Triss and what choices you are going to make. My opinion, as any other players', could just be a very biased interpretation of a complicate, deep and delicately crafted character. I also agree that Triss is indeed oblivious of the lodge's plan and being manipulated by the real schemers. And while the theme "sorceresses are untrustworthy" is often consistent in the story, I do believe it should not be generalized to all the witches, but instead treated more as a sign of the conflict between common folks and beings with supernatural abilities or characteristics (elves, witchers, etc.)

I question the rose of remembrance theory when Triss makes it clear she's prepared to do anything to help Geralt recover his memory, and states she 'owes him that, she owes Yennefer that'. Is that the genuine Triss talking or is she trying to ensorcel Geralt here? It sounds to me like she knows Geralt is soon to recover his memory and she wants to get to the point where he chooses. And she wants it to happen sooner than later.

Meh I do not think she would go that far. SHe clinged on to Geralt because she didn't know what happened to Yennefer, she probably thought she was dead. In spite of everything, Yennefer is her best friend, so my guess is she will let go eventually. Or Yennefer will make her.
I was just rereading book of elves and look what I found :
Then Geralt of Rivia appeared. A witcher leading a stormy life, and tied to her good friend Yennefer in a
strange, turbulent and almost violent relationship.
Triss had watched them both and was jealous even though it seemed there was little to be jealous of.
Their relationship quite obviously made them both unhappy, had led straight to destruction, pain and yet,
against all logic ... it had lasted. Triss couldn't understand it. And it had fascinated her. It had fascinated
her to such an extent that . . .
. . . she had seduced the witcher - with the help of a little magic. She had hit on a propitious moment, a
moment when he and Yennefer had scratched at each other's eyes yet again and had abruptly parted.
Geralt had needed warmth, and had wanted to forget.

I was just rereading book of elves and look what I found :
Then Geralt of Rivia appeared. A witcher leading a stormy life, and tied to her good friend Yennefer in a
strange, turbulent and almost violent relationship.
Triss had watched them both and was jealous even though it seemed there was little to be jealous of.
Their relationship quite obviously made them both unhappy, had led straight to destruction, pain and yet,
against all logic ... it had lasted. Triss couldn't understand it. And it had fascinated her. It had fascinated
her to such an extent that . . .
. . . she had seduced the witcher - with the help of a little magic. She had hit on a propitious moment, a
moment when he and Yennefer had scratched at each other's eyes yet again and had abruptly parted.
Geralt had needed warmth, and had wanted to forget.

Yes I meant, she wouldn't do it twice. :)

Because Yennefer and Triss actually kind of made up after a certain amount of time in the books, and Triss seemed to finally accept that Geralt will be with Yennefer no matter what. Thanks for quoting the books though. It is good to have info right here so that people can see it.

To get back on topic, I think Triss can be trusted. She only means well for Geralt, Ciri, hell even Yennefer and as she is now free of the influence of the Lodge, that would, at some points, stop her from revealing everything to Geralt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom