Movies / TV Shows!

+
On a recommendation note, last year for the first time ever I saw an older comedy called Barney Miller. I can't recommend this one enough and the first 4 seasons are on Netflix.

I never heard of it as it's entire run came and went before I was even born but a lot of the comedy holds up. I'd say it's a lot better than many currently airing sitcoms. I'm looking at you Two and a Half Men! haha. I've had to push some friends and family into seeing this older comedy but when they finally see it they like it as much as I do and we all wonder why that was never on reruns yet growing up we all saw a million episodes of "Gilligan's Island" and "Brady Bunch" that are significantly less funny.

This was a better show than writer Reinhold Weege's more successful "Night Court". It's the favorite cop show of many policemen (a demographic not noted for being fond of cop shows). Much of the credit for that belongs to character actor Abe Vigoda (Sgt. Fish), who is doing fine at 93 despite so many reports of his death that it has become a running gag.

So, I finally researched a bit and discovered Martina Hill and her show. It's hilarious. I don't speak German, but I've been prowling youtube for her skits. I love crass humor.

So is she always lewd around this one guy? That seems to be the case. German members need to fill me in on this show because so far I'm loving it.

Last edited:
"Knallerfrauen" takes off from a very successful French sketch comedy series, "Vous les femmes". Here's a good (and not too rude) sketch:

There's also China Knallerfrauen:

The last show i watched was Grimm, I just finished watching season 3
I felt bad for Renard, but i'm pretty sure he won't die, he is a tough guy and he does look like a noble man (In the royal blood way) even though he is a bastard, he looks more fitting to the crown by his look more than his brother, even his cousin looks better than his brother...
To be honest i'm Schade, but i started to hate Adalind at the end, even though we have the same family name (I lolled when i found out) but what you can do...a witch is a witch...
Monroe made the whole show for me, he made the show very entertaining, funny and serious at the same time, charismatic and awesome.
Nick, well OK...nothing really to say about him, he is doing his job, killing "Monsters", I guess we can say the Grimm is somewhat modern Witcher, but unlike the witcher he is not created as monster hunter but born as one...
Sometimes I was kinda pissed that the creatures were more beautiful than the humans (Juliette) don't get me wrong Adalind isn't that beautiful, her figure is kinda meh, i was more attracted to Rosalee.
Sgt.Wu was sort of human version of Monroe, funny guy...

Well in general it is a good show, it is serious, funny and entertaining.
I know i talked mostly about the characters, but i had nothing to say about the show, because the people in it are the one who make alive.

Sorry for talking alot, i have those moments...

If the battles of the 2nd movie are any clue, I expect the actual battle of the Five Armies to feature an intermission.

Well, unless they come up with more idiotic elf-dwarf romances or other stupid stuff like that, the whole movie should be one big battle...

I am so looking forward to Sleepy Hollow coming back. Hope they kill off the wife this season.
And Haven, but with some trepidation. The last season didn't end well.

Well, unless they come up with more idiotic elf-dwarf romances or other stupid stuff like that, the whole movie should be one big battle...

Actually I didn't mind the relationship between Tauriel and Kili. Admittedly, it could have been better written though! I'm honestly waiting to see how Smaug gets killed!

Actually I didn't mind the relationship between Tauriel and Kili. Admittedly, it could have been better written though! I'm honestly waiting to see how Smaug gets killed!

Well, I guess you didn´t read the book, so I won´t say anything that could spoil the ending for you.

Regarding the Tauriel-Kili relationship, it´s not only something they came up for the movie out of nowhere, but it´s also something with no purpose whatsoever, plot-wise. Why is it there?? To simply fill the Hollywood corny movie checklist?

Well, I guess you didn´t read the book, so I won´t say anything that could spoil the ending for you.

Regarding the Tauriel-Kili relationship, it´s not only something they came up for the movie out of nowhere, but it´s also something with no purpose whatsoever, plot-wise. Why is it there?? To simply fill the Hollywood corny movie checklist?

I think it was basically to pad the movie out a bit and develop Kilis' personality, as you need to show that the Dwarves are different so they decided to pick one and expand upon him. Could it have been better done? Yes it could have been. Honestly though, I wanted to see more from Jimmy Nesbit's character, Bofur!

This was a better show than writer Reinhold Weege's more successful "Night Court". It's the favorite cop show of many policemen (a demographic not noted for being fond of cop shows). Much of the credit for that belongs to character actor Abe Vigoda (Sgt. Fish), who is doing fine at 93 despite so many reports of his death that it has become a running gag.

I agree. After seeing that show I was shocked I never saw it on reruns anywhere growing up.

And I have been fooled by an "Abe Vigoda dead at..." headline just a few years ago. It's nice to see he is still alive but if I were him I would be sick of that running gag by now, he really will die and no one will think it's a real story!

So, I finally researched a bit and discovered Martina Hill and her show. It's hilarious. I don't speak German, but I've been prowling youtube for her skits. I love crass humor.

I thought she looked familiar. I only ever saw the one clip but it made me smile and hit replay a few times.

I agree. After seeing that show I was shocked I never saw it on reruns anywhere growing up.

And I have been fooled by an "Abe Vigoda dead at..." headline just a few years ago. It's nice to see he is still alive but if I were him I would be sick of that running gag by now, he really will die and no one will think it's a real story!

He has a good sense of humor and has been a willing participant in the gag ever since People magazine mistakenly reported him dead in 1982. See http://www.abevigoda.com
Though he played the aged, ailing Sal Tessio and the hypochondriac Sgt. Fish, he is himself a very fit, athletic man. There's a story that he had just run five miles when his agent called him and said he should go immediately and audition. He showed up, well, looking like he had just run five miles.
He looked at me and he said, 'You look tired.' So I said, 'I am tired. I've been jogging five miles.' And he said, 'You know, you look like you have hemorrhoids.' And I said, 'What are you, a doctor or a producer?' And just like that, he said, 'You've got the job.'

Last edited:
That is a funny story and I heard he left Barney Miller for a spinoff show that lasted just a year. Was that any good? I haven't been able to find it on Netflix or Amazon. Though I suppose not being able to find it might be an answer in and of itself.

That is a funny story and I heard he left Barney Miller for a spinoff show that lasted just a year. Was that any good? I haven't been able to find it on Netflix or Amazon. Though I suppose not being able to find it might be an answer in and of itself.
Fish. Ran two years. Canceled not because it wasn't good but in a dispute over his fee. It's not easy to find.

Last edited:
Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy. If anyone wants a non-serious, action filled, visually stunning and hilarious movie to watch, I highly recommend. I laughed my ass off throughout the entire movie.

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy. If anyone wants a non-serious, action filled, visually stunning and hilarious movie to watch, I highly recommend. I laughed my ass off throughout the entire movie.

Same here. I loved it! Especially Rocket Raccoon!:thumbsup:

Justified starring Timothy Olyphant as US Marshall Raylan Givens, set in small-town modern day Tennessee. The character was created by Elmore Leonard and first cropped up in a short story called Fire in The Hole. Raylan is a great character, and not so very different in tone from Geralt, and the stories are generally a cut above the usual bullshit that passes for contemporary crime TV shows

Elmore Leonard is (was: died a year ago) a wonderful writer. 3:10 to Yuma, Get Shorty, Rum Punch (Jackie Brown), and most recently, Justified. One of the very best crime writers: maybe only Hammett compares, and Leonard was far more productive. And I agree, Geralt has a lot in common with "hard-boiled" fiction. Somewhere down the line that started with Red Harvest, Yojimbo, and A Fistful of Dollars.

Just heard some great news on the local grapevine that should be of interest to many here. Michael Fassbender (needs no introduction) & Ronan Bennett (Screenwriter - Public Enemies, Hamburg Cell, Face, Top Boy), are collaborating on a film of Cuchulain & The Táin, one of our oldest legends, based around ~0 AD and extant in epic prose manuscripts ~1200AD. The tale is one full of complex & mature themes centred on human ambition & desire, honour, loyalty & betrayal, with supernatural forces ever-present but never ascendant. This is obviously going to be a big budget movie, and many more than myself have been awaiting it to happen, because it will blow minds.

Just heard some great news on the local grapevine that should be of interest to many here. Michael Fassbender (needs no introduction) & Ronan Bennett (Screenwriter - Public Enemies, Hamburg Cell, Face, Top Boy), are collaborating on a film of Cuchulain & The Táin, one of our oldest legends, based around ~0 AD and extant in epic prose manuscripts ~1200AD. The tale is one full of complex & mature themes centred on human ambition & desire, honour, loyalty & betrayal, with supernatural forces ever-present but never ascendant. This is obviously going to be a big budget movie, and many more than myself have been awaiting it to happen, because it will blow minds.

I had to go search for that myth! So he's basically our equivalent of Hercules? ???

Top Bottom