Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really an expert on hard- and software and I told what you guys said to my friend about the purpose and use of SSD's and he told me that you better put your OS on a SSD because a SSD has more effect on a OS then on games.
He told me that an SSD has no effect on performance and he showed me some graphs and testing result wich proved his point. Putting an OS on a SSD only takes up 15Gb and if you have 120GB you have plenty of space to put your programs which you use every day on it.
Could any of you comment on that?

I think that "advice" comes from people who do not know how operating systems work. The exact opposite is my thesis. Putting Windows on SSD is a waste of good SSD, because Windows does not respect the character of an SSD. SSD is at its best when it is read-mostly. But Windows scribbles crap all over its system disk, almost to the point of being write-mostly.

What you really want is applications to load fast. Not Windows. Windows isn't loading itself when you're running applications. But running applications is exactly everything you are doing when you are using your computer productively. This means:

Put Windows itself on HDD. That way you are not wasting SSD space on updates, cache files, pagefile, hibernate file, and temporary files. The only thing you lose is fast booting of Windows itself. This should not affect you, unless you frequently shut down and reboot your computer.

Install any application that lets you choose the install location to SSD. That way, all the application program files, support libraries, and resources will load from the SSD.

If you have large data files, locate the folder (usually your Documents folder) that holds these to the SSD.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, but just wanted to say thanks to you guys for replying and explaining things. I'll stick to a HDD. For me, an SDD is an expensive excersise that i don't really need, so i'd rather put that money towards something else. This has been a rather helpful thread, and some helpful advice.

It was more of a performance comparison than a game comparison. Even if the games optimisation is different it maybe can give us an estimate of how the consols and mid PCs will end up performing in The Witcher 3. They (CDPR developers) have said that the console version will look similar to a PC running at high settings. And if they run at 1080p, 30fps(which they are aiming for) an old and not so powerfull PC will be able to push The Witcher 3 to high details and frame rates.

As i said the 7870 is not a powerfull GPU and is theoretically just a little more powerfull then whats in the PS4 though still outperforming the console in frame rates due to (most probably) being accompanied by a much more powerfull CPU. And as you said an open world game is even more CPU demanding which will bring even more advantage to the PC platform.

This is good news for those who hasn't the best gaming rig. They will be able to run it at high frame rates but still not sacrificing graphical detail. But who knows, maybe CDPR do a very good jobb on the consoles but a shit port on PC. I hope that isn't the case.

It is a terrible comparison.

A corridor "hider" uses limited draw distance, certainly no more than 100m, and can use mostly fairly simple geometric forms as it is a "constructed environment".
A game with intricate outdoor locations can have a draw distance easily 3-4km (900x-1600x the required cached information). The form of the information is also more chaotic ~ compare the fairly similar density of "corridors/alleys" in a location such as Novigrad, and how the forms are less ordered (though they may not actually be as or more complex, their orientation and design gives this impression). There are lots of clever optimisations used to retain a usable degree of responsiveness but it is certain that the complex outdoor environment is by far the more challenging.

It is a terrible comparison.

A corridor "hider" uses limited draw distance, certainly no more than 100m, and can use mostly fairly simple geometric forms as it is a "constructed environment".
A game with intricate outdoor locations can have a draw distance easily 3-4km (900x-1600x the required cached information). The form of the information is also more chaotic ~ compare the fairly similar density of "corridors/alleys" in a location such as Novigrad, and how the forms are less ordered (though they may not actually be as or more complex, their orientation and design gives this impression). There are lots of clever optimisations used to retain a usable degree of responsiveness but it is certain that the complex outdoor environment is by far the more challenging.

I'm far from an expert and you are probalby right. The point wasn't to compare the games though, it was more of a comparision between this generation consols and similar performing PC:s. A 7870 is, as I stated before, close to the GPU in the PS4 but the later should perform better through better optimisation that a console bring. Even then the 7870 performs a lot better in Alien: Isolation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't both system perform worse in a open world, not just the PC system?

SURPRISE!

1,5 x supersampling :

2 x supersampling :

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Ryse-PC-259308/Specials/Test-Technik-1138543/
----------------------

http://pclab.pl/art59993-7.html

Last edited:
I'll be playing TW 3 with minimal settings. And once I can afford a better pc, I'll play it again with high settings.

I know that it might be early next year before we get any requirements but a tidbit or so would have been welcome by now.

I know that it might be early next year before we get any requirements but a tidbit or so would have been welcome by now.

It's still more than 3 months to production, 4 months to release, and a month to Black Friday. Way too early to release authoritative system specs, and too early to start shopping anyway. And since I'm going to have to read all the forum complaints, I would much rather they be on target than panic customers by overspeccing, or cause complaints by underspeccing. Be accurate or withhold statements, CDPR, please.

When they released system specs for TW2, they were dead-on accurate, even though not well explained. I expect no less, certainly not any of the ridiculous requirements we've seen from Bethsoft and other houses. And this takes time, and it comes late in development.

Anyway, I expect another reason they have not yet released system specs is that they are going to be very unsurprising.

And since I'm going to have to read all the forum complaints, I would much rather they be on target than panic customers by overspeccing, or cause complaints by underspeccing. Be accurate or withhold statements, CDPR, please.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To CDPR from a low-end PC user. The only thing I wish for.

Hello. I live in a country at war and it would be extremely hard for me - and hundreds of other Wtcher fans - to purchase a computer that can run The Witcher 3.

I am sure that my computer can run the game on medium graphics. What I fear for, however, is a message I might get when I try to run the game:

"You need xyz in order to run this game."

The truth is... I don't need xyz to run this game. Games like Tropico 4, Crysis 3, Battlefield 4...etc. They won't allow me to run these games unless I have a certain graphic card or RAMs or Directx11 or whatever. I understand that those are needed to run the game on high graphics but they are not needed at all to at least run the game on low graphics. There are people who modified the files and could play those games without having the "needed/required" specs.

What I'm asking is: Please just let us run the game. I'm willing to play it on the lowest graphics so don't tell me that I need to have a certain requirement unless it is a requirement to run the game on low settings. We low-end PC users who are true fans of CDPR and the whole Witcher Lore would be incredibly grateful if you do this.

My thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm already grateful for the fact that you actually read our threads and that you're a rare kind of good game developers who care about what their fans say. And for the Witchers of this forum: please reply and give redpoints so it can reach the developers.

Thanks again :)
Yeser

@slicedice808
For what I know compatility problems happens with notebooks with some graphics card, usually nvidia launches updated drivers to solve this, so if that's the problem then updating drivers is the only solution
I could be wrong,though
And if the question is that games like bf4 require to much power from your pc, then I could say to you that some user in this forum once said that in some source that the witcher 3 is planned to support at least gtx300 series, if you use one of these graphic cards
Also if i remember the witcher 3 will support directx 9 so if you have that version, you're ok
About processors and RAM I don't have much to say :/
If the problem is another, then again: sorry I can't help

There are some limits to what can be done for older hardware or operating systems.

The game is written to require a 64-bit CPU and OS, and DirectX 11. DirectX 11 in turn requires Windows Vista or later. You may as well be told at install time that you can't run this game, if you don't have that.

I have low-end computers even worse than an Athlon 64x2, HD5570, 2GB RAM, so I will be among the first general customers to be reporting on what the actual minimum requirements are.

I don't know who started the rumor that the game would run on "gtx300 series", but some people keep circulating a false published claim about game requirements, and I wish it would stop being repeated. The first nVidia cards with any support for the absolute requirement of DirectX 11 are the 400 series.

We actually had a poster who kept demanding Witcher 2 be recompiled for Athlon XP (which doesn't even have modern floating point). There's only so far anybody can go with museum-grade hardware.

Last edited:
@hardom Thanks for the answers. But I want to say that BF4 isn't taxing on my computer. I run games like it on high settings. It's just that I can't even run it because it requires certain hardware.

@slicedice808
If your system does not meet BF4's stated requirements, you're not going to be close to TW3's.

Exactly what hardware are you running that does not meet BF4's stated requirements? An Intel GPU?

If you're running an Intel GPU, treat yourself to a real GPU.

Last edited:
@Guy N'wah I can have the 64-bit Win7 and all the software required.

As for the hardware, I've attached my system specs and I'd appreciate your opinion.

You are saying that Directx11 is an absolute requirement. My question is: It's an absolute requirement to what? Is it really a "requirement"?

Is it a requirement to play the game on the lowest settings? I don't think so. I play games like Far Cry 3, Crysis 2, BF3, AC Black Flag...etc on the same hardware that cannot run games like Tropico 4 or BF4 just because they have a certain "requirement" I can't meet.

If the game can run on the lowest settings possible without this requirement, then it is no longer a requirement that should stop me from even running the game. And even so, I already said that I can run demanding games on high settings. And if less demanding games require certain requirements that they won't run without while very demanding games don't, it means that it is not really a requirement, and that the developers can choose whether or not to set those requirements to stop the game from even installing or running.

View attachment 6651View attachment 6652

Attachments

• dx2.jpg
    dx2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 50
  • dx1.PNG
    dx1.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 59

As for the hardware, I've attached my system specs and I'd appreciate your opinion.

You are saying that Directx11 is an absolute requirement. My question is: It's an absolute requirement to what? Is it really a "requirement"?

Is it a requirement to play the game on the lowest settings? I don't think so. I play games like Far Cry 3, Crysis 2, BF3, AC Black Flag...etc on the same hardware that cannot run games like Tropico 4 or BF4 just because they have a certain "requirement" I can't meet.

If the game can run on the lowest settings possible without this requirement, then it is no longer a requirement that should stop me from even running the game. And even so, I already said that I can run demanding games on high settings. And if less demanding games require certain requirements that they won't run without while very demanding games don't, it means that it is not really a requirement, and that the developers can choose whether or not to set those requirements to stop the game from even installing or running.

Bummer. The 9600 GT is a DirectX 10 only card, and DirectX 11 is a firm requirement.

To put it in just a few words, the technology change from DirectX 9.0c and 10 to DirectX 11 is huge, DirectX 11 can't accommodate older hardware, and programs written for DirectX 11 can't accommodate the older versions.

There isn't a good way to take a DirectX 11 program with first-class graphics like TW3 and make it work with earlier versions of DirectX. The only ways are to spend a lot more effort than went into the original to make it work at all with the earlier DirectX, or to downgrade the graphics to DirectX 9 and 10 features. These are things that no developer with a budget, a deadline, and a reputation for first-class graphics should be asked to do.

In general, you shouldn't expect game developers to continue to support DirectX less than 11 at all.

As @Guy N'wah , if CD RED launches the game with a Direct X 11 requirement you may not run the game at all. But we will only get to now when they release the requirements.

What country are you from? Wars are never good :(

Pondering whether I'm likely to *need* any upgrade.

The machine is a *little* bit unbalanced ~ i5-2400 @ 3.1GHz, 32GB of RAM, GT430 (supposedly DX11 'capable'), 466GB SATA HDD with a 466GB external USB device (plans to add a second SATA device got ... paused. As did plans to put a better GPU in).

Budget is likely to be minimal to non-existant, so unless there is a pressing need I don't plan any immediate upgrading, but I suspect there is a lot of growth potential in the GPU.... though the currently available generic monitors are only 1440*960 1400*1050

The 'off-balance' build is intentional - it is currently being used for GIS work where large files in significant quantities are in use simultaneously... it would be nice to lift the 'play' side a little bit though.

Pondering whether I'm likely to *need* any upgrade.

The machine is a *little* bit unbalanced ~ i5-2400 @ 3.1GHz, 32GB of RAM, GT430 (supposedly DX11 'capable'), 466GB SATA HDD with a 466GB external USB device (plans to add a second SATA device got ... paused. As did plans to put a better GPU in).

Budget is likely to be minimal to non-existant, so unless there is a pressing need I don't plan any immediate upgrading, but I suspect there is a lot of growth potential in the GPU.... though the currently available generic monitors are only 1440*960 1400*1050

The 'off-balance' build is intentional - it is currently being used for GIS work where large files in significant quantities are in use simultaneously... it would be nice to lift the 'play' side a little bit though.

I played w2 with a GT430 on 720p and low to med settings.............I think you will need to upgrade for w3..........or expect stuttering..............Oh man I remember the Kayran fights and QTEs...lol..........I had to make the res super tiny............there was a bug where QTEs would not work...You would hit the button like a mad man and it would never fill the bar.............lmao....I bought my first real GPU as a result.......a GTX560 2g....Then I got a second.........Then I upgarded to 3 GTX660ti SLI.....Now , I am getting 2 970's maybe 3 for Witcher 3......I got addicted or something.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom