Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
No in easy friendly fire didn't happen. Your fireballs would knock party members over, and blizzard would do the same, but they weren't injured by any of the spells.
I remember that for normal as well. Never took friendly magic damage on Normal in my game.

edit: What the hell is up with the mobile version and logging in? Stubborn as hell. Still can't get it to work on my phone right now.

Design by reused assets. :p

Ah well, previews are always risky, especially with slow burning RPGs.

Reusing assets is not a problem by itself, though. Lots of games do this, and BioWare has freely admitted doing so, for instance with some of their animation routines.
And if you look carefully enough at the various DA:I videos and screenshots, you will recognise assets from DA:O and DA2.
It’s more a question of whether the assets are still suitable and used properly.
And we don’t know if, in what way and to what degree, assets from that multiplayer project ended up in DA:I.

BioWare, and other studios, also reuse assets from the public (or not so public) domain. DA:O, for instance, had some textures that were taken from real-world textiles and a medieval Norwegian church in order to decorate clothes and woodwork. In DA2, Merrill ended up with a ‘Dalish’ statuette that was, originally, an art deco statuette from the 1920’s (and probably plucked from the Internet).

I don’t think that’s a problem per se, and for a historical game, or heavily historically influenced game (from Rome Total War II through Assassin’s Creed to The Witcher’s high-to late medieval / early Renaissance approach) that’s even commendable. One caveat though: It has to be correct (in the case of a strictly historical game) or look like it fits with the style of that particular in-game culture.

Having said that, Bio is pretty bad in copying ‘/ reusing things and keeping it cohesive. The critical video showed (visible roughly between 11:00 and 12:00) a pair of painted archaic Greek kore statues flanking a gate. Pretty odd and looking rather out of place, I might add.
Pictures from a ballscene in DA:I show you and your party suddenly wearing what look like parade uniforms from late 19th / early 20th century Europe.

Okay, disengaging nitpicking mode :)

Okay some info about the companions here that I found on tumblr:

Sera calls Vivienne fancy pants
Varric calls Josephine ruffles
Cullen is taller than a human male Inquisitor
You meet Leliana and Cassandra around roughly the same time
More race-specific content
Cullen sings
Iron Bull is in his mid to late-30s
Solas is in his early to mid-40s
If you romance Cassandra as a mage, your class is mentioned, but the romance is not restricted because of it

Cullen sings
Cullen isn't really cool enough to get away with that, I am probably going to die from second-hand embarrassment if he sings to the Inquisitor.

AND in other news at 5pm GMT there should be a new video about Vivienne being released. I'm looking forward to that ^_^

I hope I can kill Cullen just to post in on YouTube and see all the reactions. I'm probably going to be an asshole to him, just like my complete asshole configuration for DA2 in the Keep.

Gotta admit; pretty badass madame that Vivienne.:blushing:
The eyebrow at the end alone could close the breach.

It seems all companions will get similar treatment from the trailer department.

Correct me if I am wrong but regarding Origin stories for races, didn't BW state that they integrated race specific quests / dialog / cutscenes in favor of no Origin style quests? If that is true and there are a considerable amount of decent variety, then I personally prefer that method over Origin quests. Certainly I enjoyed them in DAO and they served a good purpose, but it was very dull once you reached the main story how very little variety there was for races, other than simply being called "knife ears" or "dwarf".

So early previews aren't that favorable? That is a shame. Well hopefully the reviews turn out good for the game, since I do want this installment to be great.

Correct me if I am wrong but regarding Origin stories for races, didn't BW state that they integrated race specific quests / dialog / cutscenes in favor of no Origin style quests? If that is true and there are a considerable amount of decent variety, then I personally prefer that method over Origin quests. Certainly I enjoyed them in DAO and they served a good purpose, but it was very dull once you reached the main story how very little variety there was for races, other than simply being called "knife ears" or "dwarf".

So early previews aren't that favorable? That is a shame. Well hopefully the reviews turn out good for the game, since I do want this installment to be great.

Na, fuck that. I would never favor the occasional racial mention over an in game customizable origin story. That's one mod from Skyrim I'll definitely be downloading, as that's something I've been wanting in the elderscrolls forever.

Second, Origins had mentions to your race and background already, so who are they trying to fool, here? No, they have no ground to stand on.

edit: @ Vivienne, the trailer was ok, but I will say Vivienne is really pretty. Would be better without that stupid ass hat though.

Last edited:
Well, I think her extravagant taste in clothes is interesting, not because I identify with her or whatever but because I think it suits her. She has an interesting face too.

Which appoach is better is certainly up for debate. But the awesome thing about origin stories was that it made you think, what approach would a person that grew up in certain conditions, being surrounded by certain people would take in situations they find themselves in thoughout the game. If there is no backstory included whatsoever, it takes all that away, leaving you with a pretty much blank Skyrim type of charater. Which is fine, because you can create a backstory all by yourself. I'm just not sure that's what I want to see in BW game, since there pretty much always was some kind of backstory available for your character. Even if it was a short Mass Effect style one.

Originally there were going to be class backgrounds, though not origin stories, if I remember correctly. That was when the Inquisitor was still human-only. Gaider has stated that they have now race-specific content, 'way more' than they had class background content. Whatever that may mean.

I thought the Vivienne trailer to be Generic Fantasy for Teens kool, not my taste to be honest. And I think I've seen a mage casting a protective shield in a trailer somewhere else, though I can't remember exactly which game...:)

I've got Just Cause II in my Steam library, where it's been lying for ages, the victim of a past Steam sale. I think I'm going to try it out because its open sandbox world is supposed to be gigantic. Just curious how they did it and what it tells me. After all, it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it :)

Top Bottom