What does DRM achieve, and does piracy equal lost sales?

+
Witcher 3 and Denuvo DRM

A new form of DRM by a company called Denuvo is being billed as uncrackable. In evidence, two games that use it, Fifa 15 and Lords of the Fallen, still have not been cracked even weeks after release.

New DRM by Denuvo challenges hackers.

Now my question is, the Witcher 3 being released with no DRM, it's going to be pirated to hell and back. Sure it's going to sell amazingly as well, but despite the best intentions towards consumers by CDPR, and even if the game were selling for 5 bucks, tons of people are still going to pirate it. Thats just human nature..

And the impetus behind CDPR's decision not to include DRM in the Witcher 3 was because no DRM insofar has managed to stop hackers, and the DRM just frustrates the paying customers. Much of the time, games are cracked before they're even released, which adds insult to injury.

But with the Denuvo DRM managing to frustrate hackers insofar, I wonder if CDPR has decided to now consider using the DRM? The Witcher 2 was pirated some 4.5 million times. Now I'm sure that many of those people that pirated probably ended up buying the game legitimately on a Steam sale or something, but there is no doubt that CDPR would have made even more money if their games were protected from pirates.

Witcher 3 is going to revolutionize RPGs. It's going to sell millions of copies, and spur greater sales of the PS4 and Xbox One, as well as cutting edge PC hardware. As much as I personally don't want to have to deal with DRM, I'd hate to be a developer and know that my game is being downloaded for free and without compensation after years of toil.

Nothing is uncrackable.

This will get cracked eventually, and it'll be just as useless as every other form of DRM before it. The scene is persistent and pirates are patient, it's a move by Rockstar that will barely receive them any additional sales and depending on the cost of a contract with Denuvo might actually be a really stupid move.
LotF has been received extremely poorly and FIFA15 is primarily a console game through and through, there's not much reason for the scene to lump massive amounts of effort into cracking those titles beyond the "we did it" factor. GTAV is on a whole other level, first group to crack it will earn huge scene respect and they'll persist until they get it.

Many of my workmates are massive pirates (They buy if they enjoy), however even they are buying Witcher 3 day 1 because they respect what CDPR does and their DRM Free attitude. If CDPR was to ever go back and put DRM on their games, instantly all that trust and goodwill is lost.
Yes, The Witcher 3 will be pirated a lot, but so was Skyrim, so is every AssCreed and COD, but those games still sell in abundance and TW3 will too.

In case of CDPR, many people just go to trackers just to tell people not to pirate the game and support the devs because they deserve it. It actually works. Even if they do download that copy, they end up liking the game and buying it.

In case of CDPR, many people just go to trackers just to tell people not to pirate the game and support the devs because they deserve it. It actually works. Even if they do download that copy, they end up liking the game and buying it.
That works only if the game is worth supporting. I pirated all the CoD games (stopped playing that crap when Black Ops came out). Thank god that piracy exists otherwise Steam games that cant be re-selled will make you frustrated.

Fifa 14 took like 2 months to crack so It'll take a lot more testing to prove this "uncrackable". My money's on the pirate scene. By the time GTA 5 releases they will also have more experience with the new DRM thanks to Fifa and LoTF and would take a shorter time to crack. Not to mention the manpower that will go behind that effort.

Last edited:
Huge no from me. Game will be cracked eventually and CDPR would just alienate the people that they won over so far with their anti-DRM stance.

Denuvo should also be one of the reasons that Lords of Fallen is a crashing constantly for a lot of people.

I would cancel my preorder of W3 if they put something like Denuvo on it and I wouldn't be alone.
You shouldn't underestimate the amount of goodwill CDPR is creating by their gamers first mentality. After the free DLC announcement I saw several posts saying they wasn't really interested in W3, but that they were going to buy the game now because they wanted to support them.

But luckily we don't even have to discuss this since CDPR would never DRM the GOG version of W3.

There are reports from people who bought Lords of The fallen that this new DRM is fucking their PCs and bringing all kind of bugs to the game. I don't know if it is true but back in 2004 when Ubisoft start implementing StarForce DRM into their games they had the same issue and they stopped using Starforce a year later because of this problem.

I think that all kind of invasive DRM must be avoided. DRM only hurt people that actually have bought the game.

Well, is it made by the same people who made that filth known as SecuROM apparently, the site is now inaccessible so can't recheck but that's what I read.

First of all you don´t want to shoot yourself in the foot. You claim drm free, you support drm free with your sister company and suddenly you go for drm because it isn´t cracked yet. I bet everyone would pissed about you lying.

Also I bet pirates are happy about this. They take cracking as challenge and love to put their nicks behind their work. I bet they are racing for who is gonna crack it first.

Last but not least it is hard to tell whether piracy makes your income bigger or smaller. Especially if the piracy decreases the sales is the right question. Will you force people to buy it if there is no piracy? Will the option to freely try the game make them buy it eventually? Is the advertisment coming from piracy(people will share their opinion no matter if they played legal copy or not) going to increase the sales? What is better, uncrackable drm or better services than pirates provide? and so on and so on...

I don´t want to support piracy or say it is good but at the same time full control from companies is not ideal either. They would love to have it just to get some more coins. That´s why I love CDPR. They are showing that it is possible good way.

Anyway don´t want to go deeply into piracy discussion, I just got taken away a little.

Are people worried that CDPR is going to all the sudden use DRM because it's uncrackable? I highly doubt this new DRM won't get cracked. When GTA V comes out (A game with a way bigger demand than Fifa or Lords of darkness or whatever) it will probably get cracked. If CDPR goes back on their word about no DRM then that is going to lose them sales. Fans, who were going to buy the game will now not purchase it because they felt betrayed. Pirates who were never even going to buy the game will still not buy the game. I'm pretty sure they've realized this by now and won't ever go back and use DRM again.

DRM is what's killing PC gaming, and it borders (most of the time is fully there) on the immoral.

CDPR suddenly reverting back to DRM would be the end of their company.

Thank god that piracy exists otherwise Steam games that cant be re-selled will make you frustrated.

You're looking at it all wrong. The problem is, precisely, platforms like Steam that control everything you do. Piracy and DRM are both despicable and destructive. Some practices that fall within the scope of piracy however are just normal human behavior, like sharing with friends. But cracking and illegitimate downloads are not.

That's the issue with shitty practices and software licenses: you either accept them or stay away from the program in all forms, including illegal downloads.

Every user is a vote for these practices. Do you think Windows would be what it is today without piracy? Both legal and illegal users support this shit. So stay away from programs like these, pirated or not.

Last edited:
It`s not just DRM who killing PC gaming it`s also companies who treat their customers like idiots, that`s why i will never buy EA or Bioware game again because they lost my trust, maybe they try to follow CDPR example how to treat customers that`s why people ordering multiple copies just to suport them. If you want respect you need to show respect. And i dont think that piracy is equal lost sales what if example i download game that i alredy bought how is that lost sale?

That is why it always makes me sad, when great games are only available on Steam. I want my physical DRM-free copy which I can play whenever I want without internet. I guess I will have to move to digital eventually, but I much rather go to GoG than Steam. If I have bought a Steam game, then only discounted, not because I don't want to support the developer, but because I don't want to support them using Steam. There is a reason, why most games on Lan parties are still old games.

Well, is it made by the same people who made that filth known as SecuROM apparently, the site is now inaccessible so can't recheck but that's what I read.

Not apparently, definitely google cache has the site in there, Including the name of the VP of Sony DADC in the imprint.

What it reads under the games tab
GAMES
46 Days
That’s how long the latest Denuvo-protected EA game (FIFA 14) lasted before being cracked. That’s simply unprecedented and it’s a testament to one of Denuvo’s core principles: always keep innovating. Our latest innovation, Denuvo Anti-Tamper, allows EA to reap the benefits of stamping out all piracy attempts in the crucial first weeks of a title’s release. We’d love to do the same for you.Denuvo Anti-tamper and SecuROM can be ordered through our close partnership with Sony DADC

Now I find it curious, maybe it's just me but why did he take the main page offline. But left the sub pages intact.

Oh and this one made me laugh really hard...
http://www.denuvo.com/?page=imprint said:
You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without Denuvo’s prior written consent.

edit: wait wasn't it fifa 15 that hasn't been cracked yet? Now they are confusing me.

Top Bottom