Now reading [books]

+
Few years ago I was reading Maurice Druon's "The Iron King" and on the cover was something like GRRM-"This is the real Game of Thrones!"
I mean, wtf..."George, your GoT is not real? You are plagiarist!!??" :D
Oh my, this is the worst advertising message I've ever seen... George, are you okay...? :rofl:

GRRM is giving praise where it's due to his inspiration, and trying to promote other writers he considers worthy of a read. I see nothing wrong with either of these things.
I agree, nothing is wrong with praising and promoting other authors...Just don't put it on book cover...It looks ugly :)

GRRM is giving praise where it's due to his inspiration, and trying to promote other writers he considers worthy of a read. I see nothing wrong with either of these things.
Indeed I said author's praise is the positive thing, but when publishers have to put a gigantic line on top of the cover... well if you have to, write it with a thinner font at least.

@Ljesnjanin look what I've found today... the book you mentioned earlier, with the same praise. I'm actually curious now. :rofl:

Been done for more than a century. It's called blurbs, ever since Gelett Burgess attributed such praise to a certain Belinda Blurb. It's so standard in the publishing business that sensational paperbacks just wouldn't seem right without it.

"Makes you want to crawl through thirty miles of dense tropical jungle and bite somebody in the neck."

Been done for more than a century. It's called blurbs, ever since Gelett Burgess attributed such praise to a certain Belinda Blurb. It's so standard in the publishing business that sensational paperbacks just wouldn't seem right without it.

"Makes you want to crawl through thirty miles of dense tropical jungle and bite somebody in the neck."
I didn't know that and well... this is actually quite funny, I will never forget this name from now on, every time I'll see a blurp!

@Ljesnjanin look what I've found today... the book you mentioned earlier, with the same praise. I'm actually curious now. :rofl:
Real Game of Thrones is international, I see :D
Anyway, I strongly recommend you to read entire Iron King series...No dragons, elves , magic or flaming swords-just real and brutal medieval world...

And now I sound like on-cover advertising :rofl:

I 'm reading The Gargoyle, by Andrew Davidson, and i find it very interesting. It 's stories inside the story, (some of them really memorable), and the result is very good.

Finished this bad boy today

I am pleased overall. Finally a witcher novel where Geralt is actually the main character. Lots of badass action but also some funny and beautiful moments, Secondary characters were superb as well. Can't wait for the next one :D

Just discovered this book which is kind of a sequel to the Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines game (connected in characters and events):

Gehenna - The Final Night part 1

You can buy it digitally and DRM-free through that link.

It's a decent book (official from White Wolf) but it would be mostly interesting to those who liked the game or generally are
interested in WoD. It has so many WoD references without explanations, that for those unfamiliar it can be rather hard to read. Sometimes it gets into the mode where it tries to resemble the game (like some films do), but that's not very common and doesn't detract from the book much. I guess it's simply a gesture towards the game fans.

Last edited:
I've just finished Martin's A Clash of Kings. For Christmas I got all five books of the Song of Ice and Fire series after watching four seasons of the TV series.

So far I haven't found many changes to the source material, though I've heard it will change with book three. And even some POV characters haven't found their way into television.

What I liked were the dream sequences and visions who were gutted in TV. With knowledge up to season 4 there was some great foreshadowing.

Top Bottom