Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
@EmperorZorn
Difficulty is actually pretty good. I might set it back on hard, but you can get your ass handed to you on normal as well if you don't pay attention.

After ignoring to many many random ass sidequests and continuing on with the game, it's not as much of a headache now. I'm still begging for it to move the fuck on and I hate having to gather power to continue the damn story. I think that's my main gripe with the game. Yea I'm realistically gaining influence and power in the world, but that means piss and shit to me unless I'm having fun along the way. The combat is enjoyable but the combat is never the reason I play an rpg. It's just the thing that gets me by from mission to mission. The focus in this game is all combat. The closest thing I've gotten to a decent sidequest, I guess, was getting the amulet necessary to challenge a leader of a group killing our guys back on the storm coast.

edit: Which is pathetic, really.

Oh sure Witcher 3 will have better writing, better dialogues and better graphics. Combat will just be down to preference not quality since CDPR combat is merely a cheap knockoff from Dark Souls and Batman.

Thats a strange point of view, it doesn't make sense to me. DS & Batman are entirely different combat schemes, TW2's vanilla was obviously not "copied" from either as it too is significantly different both technically & playwise (plus DS was released months after TW2), and even though I played both games all three games I wouldn't equate their combat on basically any metric.

Maybe calling something "knockoff" means different to you than me, but its a strong enough slur that I'd like to see some supporting evidence that such a claim doesn't simply deserve ridicule.

Pro tip: Get a fucking horse ASAP. These bad boys don't take fall damage. Do you know how vital that was for my sanity? LOL. I like the mounts obviously. As poorly implemented and designed as it is, I like it for silly fun. Gotta get your kicks where you can.

Also, team warrior squad kicks ass. Iron Bull, Black Wall, Sexy Cassandra who is probably the only reason that I want to see this game through, and finally, the great blonde Santa, Unkindled, fucking murders everything. Who needs pussy ass mages anyway? Not me, fuckers.

Check out Dragon Knight's review, it's pretty funny.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition/user-reviews

From BSN: "you can zoom all the way out in tac cam on the console and you cannot do this on the PC. Not to mention that on the console you can use the L and R triggers to slow down or speed up the combat while in tac cam." Is this true?? And it wasn't implemented on PC? That's retarded.

That explains a LOT then, lol. I was wondering why our experiences were so different with combat. That's terrabad.

That is retarded. It is on the PC, you just need a controller.

I'm really not sure if I want to turn this in or not. When I'm just playing and killing shit, I'm liking it because it's fun tactically taking down soldiers, even if it is by implementing silly MMO moves like that chain pull thing, which is super useful. But every time I think about how I'm railroaded into their particular build, and how much they stripped the rpg element of the game, I get really pissed.

I think that if you stop thinking of this as an rpg and think of it as a game focused around building up forces and running a military, fighting and such, that you can probably get enjoyment out of it. I am. But like I said before the game came out, not at all in the places I want to enjoy it in.

If anyone thinks they still want to buy it, personally I wouldn't buy it unless there's nothing at all out that interests you. And I wouldn't buy it for full price either. I only got this because I got Farcry for free, so instead of spending 120 bucks, I spent 60. So why not.

And on that front, I think I might keep the game after all. Might. I honestly don't know if I'll be making a second playthrough... I can't imagine me liking going through all of these menial tasks over and over. Depends on the story that's taking so long to get through.

---------- Updated at 11:51 AM ----------

Also, I like Blackwall. Dude's handsome and his beard thankfully doesn't look as bad as in those pictures earlier. Not on my system anyway. Liked him soon as he said this to my question, "But what can one grey warden do?"

"Save the whole fucking world, if pressed." :lol: Kudos, dude. I do like the all warrior party, but might just replace goofy ass Iron Bull Altogether with him. I just can't stand looking at his ass, and boy, the voice acting is super amateurish. I can't count how many times James Vega jumped into my game.

So one point the game has over DA 2, I don't hate over half the cast. That's something.

Last edited:
You're more enthusiastic about the characters so that will probably make up for the grind, assuming you don't hit big performance issues. Not caring about my PC and mostly not caring about the environment makes it hard to slog through.

At this point I will consider it a miracle if my laptop doesn't explode into a poisonous cloud of EA anti-dual core gas.
BUT
if the game does work I shall hopefully enjoy it. I mean most people couldn't finish DA2 but I am replaying that quite happily. As long as the controls don't suck ass I should be fine. I've played the Witcher 2 on my laptop (and the controls for that were a struggle bc my pc lagged so badly i did everything in a mixture of slow motion and then sudden stuttering leaps forward), so maybe I will be able to handle Bioware's awful pc controls.

"Stop thinking of this as an RPG"... I'm sorry, does not compute.

I honestly don't understand Erik Kain's reviews. He's glowing about the game, but when you get further into his details.... He dislikes the combat, looting and crafting. The writing is "good but not compelling." What the fuck does that mean? I don't know how anyone on the fence is supposed to decipher these strongly varying impressions.

I honestly don't understand Erik Kain's reviews. He's glowing about the game, but when you get further into his details.... He dislikes the combat, looting and crafting. The writing is "good but not compelling." What the fuck does that mean? I don't know how anyone on the fence is supposed to decipher these strongly varying impressions.

he's sounding like someone who has too much of EA's money in his mouth to talk sense

? You disagree? There's no attribute distribution, side quests are... I'm going to say non existent, because these little tasks aren't what I'd call quests, the game cares very little for story... how can anyone call this an rpg?

Or if you're saying that just doesn't work for you personally, that's fine. I wasn't suggesting that this would suddenly make the game better. Like I said, I'm trying to like the game, but I'm not at all defending it, so no need to apologize to me if it doesn't work for you, as I'm not bioware and I don't care.

Last edited:
Ok this is slightly off-topic but still about DA:I

I got an email from amazon saying I qualified for the pre-order bonus yadayada but they told me to activate the bonus through Steam...... is that them making a mistake or what? DA:I obviously is through Origin not Steam.... unless if you buy through Amazon they use Steam? That doesn't make sense.

LOL. I just might myself
After what they did to his face.

---------- Updated at 02:16 PM ----------

Just when I was thinking "Yep, armors look good. Even the basic stuff, which I of course am still rocking." I pick up pink armor. Even when Blackwall puts it on, it turns pink with his Warden sigil on his chest. GOD.

After watching a few videos of the PC version - they've really messed up tactical mode on KB+M.

Also, they seem to have actually removed auto-attack, you are now required to hold down the left mouse button in order to keep making basic attacks. This decision alone just boggles my mind. I get why they've been doing it for controllers, but this is just silly. Surely, there has to be an option to enable it... right?

After watching a few videos of the PC version - they've really messed up tactical mode on KB+M.

Also, they seem to have actually removed auto-attack, you are now required to hold down the left mouse button in order to keep making basic attacks. This decision alone just boggles my mind. I get why they've been doing it for controllers, but this is just silly. Surely, there has to be an option to enable it... right?

You can set your character to attack an enemy in tac mode and it'll do it that way. I don't think they'll just attack though. They'll throw in abilities too, and the behavior edit section is gutted to potion use and how characters select targets....

Grapple hook is ridiculous, but also really funny. Enemies always fly face first into my shield:

Just reviewing the thread..... Doesn't seem to be the debacle that DA2 was. But I think, for me, it has gone from a day one buy to wait and see buy.... Although (much to my surprise), Costin likes it. So, that counts for something, I suppose....

Just reviewing the thread..... Doesn't seem to be the debacle that DA2 was. But I think, for me, it has gone from a day one buy to wait and see buy.... Although (much to my surprise), Costin likes it. So, that counts for something, I suppose....

I'm still really surprised he does like it. The game's a mess when it comes to focus. Whose bright idea was it to replace sidequests with little mmo tasks? Were they trying to make an MMO and had to stop, then decided to not waste the resources? Beats me.

That's not to say there's no way you can enjoy what is there, but then there's lots of things you can enjoy. If you're looking to enjoy this as an rpg game, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If combat is all that interests you, then you're in heaven. Never ending combat right here. Knock yourself out.

That's not to say there's no way you can enjoy what is there, but then there's lots of things you can enjoy. If you're looking to enjoy this as an rpg game, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If combat is all that interests you, then you're in heaven. Never ending combat right here. Knock yourself out.

Does the combat help you level up? Or is it just pointless combat?

Top Bottom