Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
You can set your character to attack an enemy in tac mode and it'll do it that way. I don't think they'll just attack though. They'll throw in abilities too, and the behavior edit section is gutted to potion use and how characters select targets....

Yeah, thing is, tactical mode wasn't a thing before - going between 3rd person (directly controlling your character) and isometric view (floaty cam, controlling with mouse) used to be seamless. The way it is now, it just seems like a chore, if you want to have a nice mix of action and tactical combat. I feel like they're forcing you to choose one way or the other, and that wasn't the case in previous DA games on PC. Not being able to auto-attack while in 3rd person only makes this even worse.

Last edited:
Does the combat help you level up? Or is it just pointless combat?

I mean, you get xp for it... but barely. If you're looking to grind levels, I suggest getting a horse asap, and ignore every combat situation that isn't tied to some sort of objective. Unless it's a bear or a giant or something, which I actually enjoy fighting. A pair of bears almost wrecked me worse than the giant did on hard. I switched to normal though, so not sure if it'd be the same.

But yea, it's basically pointless. But I guess it's better than doing all this running around with nothing happening in between. Place feels more alive, so that's something. And realistically you wouldn't go fighting everything in sight anyway, and I don't advise you try, or you'll be spending a long time going back and forth to your camp for potions. Especially if you're in a spot where they respawn obviously, lol.

Only problem with trying to ignore fights is your dumb ass companions don't always listen, and enemies will sometimes suddenly spawn ahead with you. On horseback, you're too fast so that's no issue. And you can knock them out of the way, which is pretty funny.

These horses are friggin indestructible, lol. No fall damage either. Hilarious.

---------- Updated at 02:57 PM ----------

Yeah, thing is, tactical mode wasn't a thing before - going between 3rd person (directly controlling your character) and isometric view (floaty cam, controlling with mouse) used to be seamless. The way it is now, it just seems like a chore, if you want to have a nice mix of action and tactical combat. I feel like they're forcing you to choose one way or the other, and that wasn't the case in previous DA games on PC. Not being able to auto-attack while in 3rd person only makes this even worse.

I do grow tired of having to switch between the two. Reading people's description of how it used to be just makes me excited to play origins again but on the PC.

Also seen on BSN: The console version has a "loot all" button, the PC doesn't.

What the hell even, Bioware.

After watching a few videos of the PC version - they've really messed up tactical mode on KB+M.

Also, they seem to have actually removed auto-attack, you are now required to hold down the left mouse button in order to keep making basic attacks. This decision alone just boggles my mind. I get why they've been doing it for controllers, but this is just silly. Surely, there has to be an option to enable it... right?
In tactical mode (I'm going to stop calling it that...we need a euphemism) yes. In "action mode" you hold down R to continue attacking.

What I find funny is that she'll keep attacking even after everything is dead. Yes, you can blast random things with your staff. I've done it several times trying to loot, lol.

Last edited:
Grapple hook is ridiculous, but also really funny. Enemies always fly face first into my shield:

One of the TESO skilltrees had this, surprisingly gratifying skill, and it did become the go to for managing combat flow. Its worth mentioning since although they've acknowledged an influence from Skyrim, on the face of it rather looks like TESO was a greater example. The combat looks identical, similar skills evident, MMO level design, followers rather than party members, and what we're hearing now about the nerfing of tactics & behaviours has me wondering wheres the "Tactical Combat[SUP]TM[/SUP]" in the game?

Also seen on BSN: The console version has a "loot all" button, the PC doesn't.

What the hell even, Bioware.

Someone needs to make a "Tell me lies" video like they did with Todd Howard. The level of bullshit from that PC pandering video is epic. From Graphics to the controls, everything here was made with console in mind, and I know that as a longtime console player up until now. It's super obvious.

---------- Updated at 03:06 PM ----------

One of the TESO skilltrees had this, surprisingly gratifying skill, and it did become the go to for managing combat flow. Its worth mentioning since although they've acknowledged an influence from Skyrim, on the face of it rather looks like TESO was a greater example. The combat looks identical, similar skills evident, MMO level design, followers rather than party members, and what we're hearing now about the nerfing of tactics & behaviours has me wondering wheres the "Tactical Combat[SUP]TM[/SUP]" in the game?

Yep, nerfing that was my biggest annoyance in change. I usually spend a good bit tweaking that to make sure it's exactly how I like it. Now, a third of the difficulty comes from battling your companion's actions.

Fuck TESO. At least Bethesda had the good sense to have someone else make that and not bring that to their main titles. Bioware done goofed hard.

I do grow tired of having to switch between the two. Reading people's description of how it used to be just makes me excited to play origins again but on the PC.

Origins on PC absolutely needs a little AutoHotkey tool running in the background though...

Autorun and Tab Highlight Toggles

Hmm maybe a similar Autohotkey could be used to fix that press R to auto-attack stuff... Even if it's a toggle it would be better. no? But I guess from what I'm hearing it's best to wait a few patches and hope for some decent interface mods...

Don't know what happened, maybe the driver update, but my swords aren't showing hilts anymore. Like, there's no hand guard. Also, I could have sworn they had sheathes... they didn't before, I know, but I thought they changed that? Anyway, I know for sure they had hand guards on the hilts before, and now they're missing... kinda mangry about that at the moment.

Also, I think Origin is fucking with me. Every time the game turns off, a window about my saves not being synced because I don't click play game from Origin pops up... As if this game needed more problems.

The lighting effects on beards in this game is impressive. I can't wait to see the sex-scenes that happen with this thing. Well done BioWare! Come 2015 I'm sure Snake and Geralt will be jealous.

btw, Has anyone tried making any Witcher characters in DA:I's character creator? Making characters from other games/movies is something I always like to do in robust character creators like this one.

Last edited:
The lighting effects on beards in this game are really impressive. Well done BioWare! Come 2015 I'm sure Snake and Geralt will be jealous.

btw, Has anyone tried making any Witcher characters in DA:I's character creator? Making characters from other games/movies is something I always like to do in robust character creators like this one.

Your Inquisitor looks awesome!

I will probably try at some point to make Ciri, seeing as the CC has lots of different scars on it.
Besides that, I promised Unkindled I'd make a Geralt Inquisitor and romance Dorian... although now I'm starting to think Iron Bull would be better.

It's not mine unfortunately, it's an LPers. But I agree he looks amazing! It reminds me a lot of the male monk from Diablo 3.

I know it sounds like I'm just being a whiny bitch at this point, lol, but another thing, why don't they show you what the armor's rating will be in the schematic you're about to buy? I have no idea whether this heavy adventurer armor is better than the vanguard coat armor I just got. Not unless I buy it first.

---------- Updated at 05:20 PM ----------

I got lucky. Not really better, but it looks better. Good enough. Not too much worse than what I got.

@Unkindled So at this point you're basically asking yourself "Does BioWare even know how to RPG?" The ironic thing is that people who had low expectations are actually enjoying the game atm! :lol:

I know right? Lol. I am for what it is I guess. I had really really low expectations, and so when I realized I was right, it didn't hit me so hard. I am finally getting into a bit more of the actual game, but I get side tracked so easy with silly side shit. Because I keep hoping I'll find some real sidequests, but it's not gonna happen. Even the character specific "quests" are these little go here, click this missions. Blackwall went from hating me to riding my balls after finding two of these grey warden note sites out of like, ten or something. Lol.

Currently looking for serpent stone to get this adventurer armor with golden plate. Matches my hair, lol. Then getting some for cassandra. I'll just use Iron for her though.

Can't get my money back and I already saved on what I was going to spend, so I've already accepted that this is exactly what I expected it to be so cynically before it came out. Might as well enjoy what I can.

@Unkindled So at this point you're basically asking yourself "Does BioWare even know how to RPG?" The ironic thing is that people who had low expectations are actually enjoying the game atm! :lol:

I had REALLY low expectations and I'm really enjoying the lets plays. :p

Yeah I'll probably grab it tbh, I'm glad I waited though. I'll just wait for TW3 for a world I can get immersed in.

Here's the thing though, I like a game that involves me deeply in the politics, that puts in a position where I can become a powerful political leader if I so desire, and gives the ability to choose how I want to approach things.
Have you ever played Crusader Kings 2, Costin? If you like political intrigue in a medieval setting it might be up your alley. It's a medieval grand-strategy game from Paradox Interactive.

Yeah I'll probably grab it tbh, I'm glad I waited though. I'll just wait for TW3 for a world I can get immersed in.
Yeah, same here. I don't think BioWare's writing has anything on The Witcher. But I'll probably pick up Dragon Age: Inquisition because I like the art-style, the combat looks better than Origins', it looks kinda like a single-player WoW, and the political-aspect looks interesting (although it's probably just a way to get you to grind influence and power.)

Last edited:
I had REALLY low expectations and I'm really enjoying the lets plays. :p

Another reason why I'm not really pissed right now. This will just (Hopefully) make Witcher 3 look amazing.

A thought. What if CDPR said they can't wait to play DAI, because Witcher 3 was designed just like it!!!??!?!?!? OHHH!

Lol. Seriously though, if Witcher 3 sucks, I might die.

Lol. Seriously though, if Witcher 3 sucks, I might die.

If the Witcher 3 sucks I will cry until I have cried enough tears to drown the world and murder everyone so the world can be reborn anew and maybe the dinosaurs can make better rpgs.

Anyone know where I can see how much approval I have?

I read on the forums you can't. That might not be true but apparently there's no way of doing this (loooooooool why did bioware think this was a good choice)

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad choice per se. I was just wondering if I had missed it.

The issue with showing the approval metric is that you become too concerned about those numbers instead of making choices that you feel are right.

Anyway this is my Inquisitor. Ready to disband the Templars and fold them into the Inquisition after giving them a speech about how he is indeed the chosen of Andraste.

Qunari without those fucking horns. Following in the proud tradition of Sten.

Fuck the mages by the way and their moronic leaders. I mean dear lord but how moronic can you be to :
Sell yourself and all your followers into slavery to Tevinter

Last edited:
Top Bottom