Anyone running any CP2020 games out there??

+
I think I can understand the lack of people playing. The system is very dated, not particularly polished, and the setting hasn't been updated in ages. I've been wanting to use 2020 recently for a cybernetics-focused game in an original setting, but the mechanics were just a dealbreaker. So much stuff is broken, doesn't make sense, inconsistent. I'm trying to make a conversion to GURPS (which has its own warts to deal with) for chargen that makes sense, like skills and stats with diminishing returns.

There seems to be a real lack for a cybernetics-focused RPG. 2020 is just really dated, v3 is utter shit, Shadowrun has magic that's ignorable but still has issues with dice pools not playing nicely with Roll20, GURPS lacks supplements focusing on cybernetics. Hopefully if I ever manage to find a good source I'll be able to put out some quality homebrew.

What about the mechanics do you find dated? Just curious.

The artworks.
[I'm out haha ==>]

IMO, the rules are simple enough to make your game fast and easy for your player to understand and fully exploit, but I figure it's a matter of taste.

To answer the original question, the lack of people playing has pretty much zip to do with mechanics or setting, and everything to do with the fact that there hasn't been any official support for Cyberpunk 2020 for a decade and a half. A decade ago they released V3, which was ridiculed into obscurity pretty much right out of the gate. While there is still internet fan based support for the game, mostof the sites, particularly the mega sites, have vanished.

People who play it now are either the hard core dedicated fans and people who old copies on shelves at the game story.

Most people, even rabid tabletop gamers, have never heatd of the game in this day and age.

Top Bottom