(Act 3 spoilers) Which final mission is best in your opinion?

+

• Where is Triss Merigold?

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Of His Blood and Bone

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • The Spellbreaker

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Rauter

Forum regular

I know these aren't last story quests in The Witcher 2, but all of them are unique, because you can finish only one of them.

I'm talking about:
Where is Triss Merigold?
The Spellbreaker
Of His Blood and Bone

Two of them have big battle against Nilfgaardian/Kaedweni troops, one is more "witcher-oriented" (breaking a spell seems like witcher work for me, although this one involves politics).

Personally, I think rescuing Anais is very epic. Cooperation with Roche when he and Geralt are taking down archers and guards, the infamous scene with Dethmold, battle music...
Where is Triss Merigold? is also great quest (especially on Iorveth's path). Death of Shilard and that moment when Geralt doesn't give a shit he's surrounded by whole Nilfgaardian unit... it's also more oriented on main story. And although I consider this as my canon choice, I still prefer Of His Blood and Bone (ciriously, I replayed that one just for THAT music).
The Spellbreaker is ok because of Phillipa and Iorveth (I really wish there would be more interaction between them, because they are really nice couple. Wait, that sounds weird...), but compared to previous two... It simply lacks something.

What about you? What's your opinion?

"Where is Triss Merigold" from Roche's path is my "canonical" choice. Geralt came all this way because Triss needed him, not because he owed Roche or Temeria anything. Freeing Saskia from the spell, or persuading Roche to take Anais to John Natalis, are equally fine if not necessarily what my Geralt would do first.

I like all three, but I go with Triss, not because I care about her that much, but more because I care about stopping the Nilfgaardian plot. I try not to be too political as Geralt, but I can't just can't let them succeed. Its very satisfying to kill them all, saving Triss is just an added bonus. I love that she acts so surprised by all the corpses.

Still, when faced with that decision on my first playthrough, I went with Anais, I really cared about Roche and Temeria. I guess my problem with this ending is that it seems like it isn't practical for the immediate future, and it won't have any meaningful consequences in TW3. That is sort of meta-gamey of course, but with Anais being so young, I can't imagine her playing a big role in this upcoming conflict with Nilfgaard. And Roche having to go after her alone is even worse, because apparently no one other than Geralt is willing to help him (Ves, Aryan, where are you??)

Spellbreaker is great just for the opportunity to talk to Saskia. She is by far one of, if not my absolute favorite character in the game. Just something about her being a dragon is so cool to me, and normally, I am not really impressed by dragons. But her character is just great. Still, I find it hard to choose this ending because the devs give us that breadcrumb of being able to help Iorveth and recover the enchanted dagger needing for freeing Saskia in the Iorveth/Triss path.

Truth be told, I don't mind leaving Saskia under control because I also really like Phillipa as a character, and given the state she is in at the end of TW2, she probably could use a little backup. Ideally, I'll be able to free Saskia in TW3, I know that might be a stretch, but like I said, I am hopeful that those breadcrumbs from TW2 mean something.

Generally, my canon is Iorveth's path with the "Where is Triss" choice. I am still torn about sparing both Sile and Letho, sometimes I like to let them die, sometimes I want to spare them in hopes of seeing them in TW3.

"Where is Triss Merigold" from Roche's path is my "canonical" choice. Geralt came all this way because Triss needed him, not because he owed Roche or Temeria anything. Freeing Saskia from the spell, or persuading Roche to take Anais to John Natalis, are equally fine if not necessarily what my Geralt would do first.

*fist bump*

Triss had done plenty up to that point to win my respect. The only variation on my canon is I do feel obligated to Roche for freeing me. True that it's a necessary plot point, but Roche had every reason to not trust Geralt. Temeria, so far, I could care less about.

Of His Blood and Bone is the best one.Attacking Kaedwenian camp as an army of two,killing Dethmond,making a tough decision is really cool + this quest gives Siegfried more screen time if he's alive.

Only advantage of Triss quest is an opportunity to kill Shilard (but still you don't kill him directly)

Last edited:
"The Spellbreaker" had the least fighting in it (especially if you kill that elemental with one hit, using adrenaline/group finisher), and not much interesting talk. It's my least favorite.
"Of His Blood and Bone" was perhaps the most interesting by itself, especially if you convince Roche not to give Anais to Radovid. But it just feels like a wrong thing to do, besides the consequences.
"Where is Triss Merigold?" has different results as it belongs to both paths. The result is obviously better on Roche's path (excluding the massacre in Upper Aedirn), but at least Henselt can be killed. And it was good to see Roche with Anais in epilogue. He's an amazing warrior and manages on his own, yet Dethmond survived..
On Iorveth's path, the ending was far less interesting and unrealistic. The quest itself had enough fighting and interesting chat with Nilfgaardians and Triss.

I prefer "Where is Triss Merigold?" on Iorveth's path, with Letho being killed as my definitive ending. It just wraps up the main plot of going on Iorveth's path so well. The whole point for me was that Iorveth was the fastest way to try to save Triss. Once Triss was captured, getting Letho became secondary, but then after Roche ending up being such a cool guy at Henselt's camp I couldn't just leave him high and dry. I promised the dude I'd get his kingslayer, and I owed him that much for all the shit I put him through.

Top Bottom