New game plus for witcher 3?

+
Odds are, I'm not going to play TW3 more than once, if there is no NG+ option like Dragon's Dogma in place so I can carry over my level, loot, gear and skills into a new game.
To me...it's no fun and a boring, pointless waste of time. I'm just saying, I could careless about 35 other possible endings, if I have to grind to level up all over again and start from scratch each and everytime I finish the game. No thanks, that is the worst idea of fun ever, if other players want to start over each and everytime at zero and choose different choices, then go right ahead. I don't mind starting the story over, yes I'll choose different choices too, but at least Geralt will be more of a leveled up bad ass with NG+. Then I can go do shit in the beginning that I couldn't do the first time. That's fun, that's what keeps me wanting to play all the endings over time.
I just doubt I'll invest my time for the story alone, when it's 50 hours long, anyways..the cool thing is, NG+ is just a player option. So to all those who don't want NG+, no one is forced to ever use it, but god forbid the options not fucking there man.
I think that would be a major disappointment for a lot of gamers, if TW3 didn't have some NG+ like I stated above, I only know this because I'm psychic, just kidding ;)lol...

Last edited:
I'm so not playing TW3 more than once, if I can't have an NG+ option like Dragon's Dogma and carry my new level, loot, gear and skills into a new game, then fuck it.

Haa Haaa... Oh come on guys ;) lol... it's not TW2.
TW3 is like 200 fucking hours long man, where is the love Jeezus age... I'll get over it, but damn it.
Waaaaa... I want my NG+!!
@slimgrin No Fleders, no buy lol

---------- Updated at 05:25 AM ----------

All better now ;)

Last edited:
Moderator: A post has been deleted.

Language like "Oy, it's like talking to a brick wall" and "you seem to be unable to let go of the false notion..." does not exhibit an intent to engage in a debate on the merits of NG+; it is an intent to demean your opponent and browbeat him into accepting your opinion by such words.

Your opinion, however valid it may be, cannot stand when expressed in that manner.

Not really interested in a NG+, I would rather play the whole thing in one playthrough (character progression-wise) and be able to play after the ending if possible. As for replaying the game, if the skill specs are different enough and the story "changeable" enough, I expect to replay the game a few times, doing my 4th playthrough of The Witcher 2 right now and I never felt like it needed a NG+ .

Guest 3790055

I don't really care of having a new game + or not; I'd be more interested in the ability to play/wander in the map after the story's end. If Geralt does not die - nor Ciri :).
It was not possible in the two first games but this one is open world so I hope the devs have thought about it.

That was my 2 cents. Hi to the whole community btw, I'm a newbie here :)

Not really interested in a NG+, I would rather play the whole thing in one playthrough (character progression-wise) and be able to play after the ending if possible. As for replaying the game, if the skill specs are different enough and the story "changeable" enough, I expect to replay the game a few times, doing my 4th playthrough of The Witcher 2 right now and I never felt like it needed a NG+ .
TW2 didn't really need NG+ because it was only 25 hours and only 2 different paths, but it would have been nice non the less. Yeah, TW3 would be great for lots of players like me, since TW3 is way longer.. and well it's fun ;)

You missed my real points. Igni example was used as an example of active skills being the focus of Geralt's skill trees. To use another example: kick/counter/disarm. This ability was used to disarm an enemy of his shield in the 35min demo. Try and nerf that. Maybe Geralt has to disarm shieldman more than once now? Kick him twice? Maybe the shieldless shieldman is able to dodge the blows of the White Wolf and pick up his shield again? No, the simplest answer is to increase his HP so that when he loses his shield thanks to Geralt's timed and unblockable counter/kick/disarm, it will take more hits to kill him. But that messes with the balance of the enemy right there. After Geralt disarmed him in the demo, shieldman was dispatched in less than ten seconds. The point of shieldman is that without his shield, he's just an ordinary man with no chance against Geralt of Rivia. Increasing his HP would just lead to spamming LMB more for no good reason.

TW2 was used as an example of CDPR's design philosophy when it comes to leveling up and skills gained for combat. These skills were active and could not be countered by increasing enemy health. Inferring from the new mechanic of "activated skills" in 12 unlockable slots, this design philosophy has been carried over to TW3. Successfully explaining why NG+ wouldn't work well in TW2 is almost equivalent to why it wouldn't work in TW3 unless there's been a massive change in designing combat.

I've said it in my original post, and I'll say it again. I don't doubt CDPR has the capability to code NG+ without draining resources from other departments - but only if they only intend to increase enemy health, damage, what-have-you. And such a method of executing NG+ would be counter-productive to TW3's level-up/skills/combat designs and systems. In short, you would need to do far more than tweak some enemy stats for proper NG+ - you would in fact need to:

My whole point is that NG+ as it is in Dark Souls or whatever other game where the developers only tweak stats on an Excel sheet would not work in TW3, where skills gained are mainly active and not passive buffs. Because of this the approach to NG+ must be radically different and thus will drain resources, especially if enemy AI/tactics have to be adjusted to combat every single player iteration of an NG+ - no two people will carry over the exact same skills, and since enemy tactics would adapt to your skills... well. As such, while it'd be nice if NG+ is in the game, I say no unless it's properly fleshed out and works in tandem with the systems that are already in place in the base game.

I think I shan't repeat myself like a broken record further, especially not with such long posts clogging up this thread. So have a good day, monsieur, and see you in another thread. :)

I didn't miss your points. In fact, I countered them all. But I'll be happy to do it again.

Disarm post-NG+ works exactly like disarm in your first playthrough. Increased HP doesn't lead to extra-long fights because player's damage output scales up with enemy HP. I'll say it again -- enemy HP scales with player's damage output, which means that fights play out largely the same. You disarm the shield-bearer and kill him in 2-3 hits because his HP is balanced to match Geralt's end-game damage output. Simple, right?

Your mistake is in assuming that NG+ is an appeal for an uber-hard mode. It's not that, nor is it a way to build up your character to insanely overpowered strength. NG+ games play out almost exactly the same way as first-playthrough games because of scaling. NG+ is for players who want to retain their hard-earned gear and stats. It also gives players the option of using end-game skills in early-game sequences, which, again, doesn't result in an overpowered player-character.............. because of SCALING.

You can argue 'til the cows come home that the scaling would be impossibly difficult to achieve because it wouldn't have worked in TW2 (a game that was built from scratch without the mechanics necessary to implement NG+), but that's all completely besides the point. Using TW2 to illustrate why NG+ wouldn't work in TW3 is like trying to explain why Yennefer won't appear in TW3 because she wouldn't have fit into the plot of TW2. It just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
TW2 didn't really need NG+ because it was only 25 hours and only 2 different paths, but it would have been nice non the less. Yeah, TW3 would be great for lots of players like me, since TW3 is way longer.. and well it's fun ;)

Quite the contrary. Exactly because the game was 20hours long, was more linear and you could only use your best gear and top level skills for 15 mins, TW2 was far more suitable than TW3 for NG+ option. You mentioned Dragon's Dogma quite a few times. I admit that i am not familiar with it, since i am a PC gamer(as propably most people here). However the VAST MAJORITY of games that feature NG+ option, are definetely more linear in nature, and somewhat sorter than open world games. Not mentioning Dragon's Dogma, there is not one huge open world, non linear game that comes to mind with an NG+ option. The sandbox elements, will allow you to have a maxed out character, and still have alot of gameplay left. Replaying 200 hours of non linear game, with a maxed out character with top gear, loses alot of it's RPG flavour, resulting more into an action adventure experience.

I didn't miss your points. In fact, I countered them all. But I'll be happy to do it again.

Disarm post-NG+ works exactly like disarm in your first playthrough. Increased HP doesn't lead to extra-long fights because player's damage output scales up with enemy HP. I'll say it again -- enemy HP scales with player's damage output, which means that fights play out largely the same. You disarm the shield-bearer and kill him in 2-3 hits because his HP is balanced to match Geralt's end-game damage output. Simple, right?

Your mistake is in assuming that NG+ is an appeal for an uber-hard mode. It's not that, nor is it a way to build up your character to insanely overpowered strength. NG+ games play out almost exactly the same way as first-playthrough games because of scaling. NG+ is for players who want to retain their hard-earned gear and stats. It also gives players the option of using end-game skills in early-game sequences, which, again, doesn't result in an overpowered player-character.............. because of SCALING.

You can argue 'til the cows come home that the scaling would be impossibly difficult to achieve because it wouldn't have worked in TW2 (a game that was built from scratch without the mechanics necessary to implement NG+), but that's all completely besides the point. Using TW2 to illustrate why NG+ wouldn't work in TW3 is like trying to explain why Yennefer won't appear in TW3 because she wouldn't have fit into the plot of TW2. It just doesn't make any sense.

:wat:

Oh I see the problem now. We're talking on completely crossed wires.

My argument is based on the foundation that almost none or a very small number of Geralt's skills gained through leveling contributes to player damage output stats-wise. That would mean Geralt never really increases in damage output through skills; skills only grant him new moves (pirouette, dodge, counter, 360 Aard) only with which he can defeat the tougher enemies in-game. This notion rose from the information that a majority of Geralt's skills are active skills (pirouette dodge, counter, 360 Aard) instead of buffs to damage output/health/etc. If this was the case, his damage output at the end would not have increased much from the beginning save for the weapons he found throughout the game - he would only have learnt new techniques to kill. This is why I was insistent that increasing enemy health would lead to tedium; I was working under the assumption Geralt's innate damage output did not increase, thus scaling would not have worked.

On the other hand, you work under the assumption that Geralt's damage output would have vastly increased throughout the game - just like in most other RPGs. By the time NG+ is started, enemy stats will have to be increased in order to match Geralt's end-game damage output, restoring the difficulty of NG+ to that of a normal New Game. Thus, Geralt can experience the same difficulty curve in NG+ as in NG.

Does this make sense? "This" being the fact that I have a perfectly working understanding of what NG+ is, and that neither of us were talking at brick walls. Rather, we were missing the other's wall completely.

To be fair, I can see why you work under that assumption. I suppose the foundation of my argument is flawed in that I have no concrete idea of what TW3's leveling system is like. With the information that we would mainly be unlocking active combat techniques, I jumped to the conclusion that all our level-up unlocks would be such. As this is not yet fact, it is not surprising you believe otherwise - that there will still be a substantial number of skills that contribute to Geralt's inherent damage output. I will not challenge that belief, for I have no evidence with which to do so. Therefore, given the entire foundation of my argument is not strong, the argument itself is possibly moot.

But interestingly, due to your repeated bolding of the word scaling, I have come upon another problem with NG+ in TW3. The rest of this post isn't directed at you, Saucer. Feel free to respond nonetheless if you feel like it.

Before I begin, let's look at what we know about the game for sure so that the argument is not based on conjecture. No sources because I'm lazy.

FACT: Enemies in the world do not scale to your level in a single game/playthrough.

FACT: On Normal difficulty, wolves in the tutorial can kill you if you are not careful. Also, even at your maximum level, you will never out-level the toughest enemy.

FACT: After the prologue, a player can visit any part of the world at any time.

FACT: There are at least 300 skills available to unlock (this minimum calculated based on numbers provided by Marcin Momot).

FACT: Out of the 300 skills available, less than 150 of them can be unlocked at maximum level (based on level-ups granting 1-3 skill points, and 50 being the maximum level). As such it is not unreasonable to assume that the difficulty curve has been balanced to accommodate a maximum of about two skill trees in one playthrough. At maximum level, your two skill trees will mean you have a not-too-hard fight against the toughest monster.

Here is where we start. In any playthrough of TW3, Geralt begins at 0% in power. The monsters throughout the world range from 0% to 100% in power. By the time the end of the game is nigh, Geralt rivals the toughest monster at 100% in power. This means that, as the game progresses and more and more skills are gained, the game's overall difficulty is as follows:

View attachment 10783

Which is as it should be. The game starts out difficult because going to the wrong place and fighting the wrong monster will, like in real life, get your untrained arse kicked. At the end of the game, you can much more easily beat monsters you previously had trouble with, but still have a challenge in the biggest baddies in the game's world. The game is never too easy. Perfect.

Unfortunately, with NG+ things change. In a New Game Plus, Geralt starts out at 100% in power. By the end of the game, he will theoretically be 200% in power. This leaves the monsters severely disadvantaged, so their own power level must be raised. But wait. Raised to what extent?

---

Obvious option number one: raise the enemies' power to range from 100% to 200% in level. This maintains the difficulty curve of a normal New Game. But this makes no sense. This effectively means that Geralt's greatest skill as, say, a Swordsman is only just on par with the prowess of a lowly wolf. No matter how deadly a cut Geralt can make and how tough his hide is, at the start of NG+ he will equal the worst enemy in the game.

That's good then!, some might say. It incentivizes the player to learn new skills! You can't relearn old skills anyway. But the big problem is that in The Witcher skill trees are all balanced to be equal to one another. Swordsmanship is no better than Magic - they're just two different ways to reach the same power level. That means that the lowliest form of Magic isn't going to be better than the greatest form of Swordsmanship, meaning learning new skills (Magic) isn't going to help Geralt at the start of NG+ since all enemies have been scaled up to match his best Sword-move - his newly learnt basic Magic skill is going to have zilch effect even on a wolf. Only when Geralt has learnt a substantial amount of Magic skills will the player even begin to get an easier time, eventually maybe equaling the toughest enemy in power level. As a result, the difficulty curve is distorted:

View attachment 10784

Aside from the immersion-breaker that is slashing a wolf with your most badass sword attack only to see it lose half its health, due to the way skill trees are balanced in The Witcher (where only one or in TW3 maybe two trees is meant to be filled in one playthrough) the difficulty curve of the game is heavily distorted. In this case, NG+ scaling works against that sweet spot the developers have worked so hard to achieve with difficulty balancing in a normal New Game.

---

Option number two: raise enemies' power to range from about 50% to 150%. This way, at the start of NG+ Geralt's top-level sword skills are still viable against some of the monsters he meets in the world, and he still isn't overpowered. Now, he has plenty of time to soak up those new Magic skills. But what happens when he has an entirely new tree of Magic skills? He would be about 200% in power - which is 50% more than the toughest monster in the game. Difficulty curve gets distorted even more:

View attachment 10785

The game doesn't start out too hard. But then it gets substantially easier about halfway through as more Magic skills are accumulated and Geralt begins to out-level the toughest monster in the game. By the end, Geralt could probably take on Eredin with his eyes closed. Once again, NG+ scaling destroys the difficulty.

---

Option number three: Leave the enemies' power range as it is in the base game...

:thumbdown:

---

As one can see, there is literally no solution that will maintain the difficulty curve of the base game in an NG+ playthrough due to two things: skill trees are mostly meant to work independently of one another, and the player can encounter any monster at any time in the game. Unless one is fine with the two distorted difficulty curves above, I cannot see why one would want NG+ in TW3. The scaling works completely against what CDPR has been trying to achieve (good balancing) since at least TW2; why would one want to undo that? I really don't know, but perhaps that's just my point of view.

Attachments

• TW3 Difficulty Curve Vanilla.png
    TW3 Difficulty Curve Vanilla.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 40
  • TW3 Difficulty Curve 1.png
    TW3 Difficulty Curve 1.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 69
  • TW3 Difficulty Curve 2.png
    TW3 Difficulty Curve 2.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 48
Quite the contrary. Exactly because the game was 20hours long, was more linear and you could only use your best gear and top level skills for 15 mins, TW2 was far more suitable than TW3 for NG+ option. You mentioned Dragon's Dogma quite a few times. I admit that i am not familiar with it, since i am a PC gamer(as propably most people here). However the VAST MAJORITY of games that feature NG+ option, are definetely more linear in nature, and somewhat sorter than open world games. Not mentioning Dragon's Dogma, there is not one huge open world, non linear game that comes to mind with an NG+ option. The sandbox elements, will allow you to have a maxed out character, and still have alot of gameplay left. Replaying 200 hours of non linear game, with a maxed out character with top gear, loses alot of it's RPG flavour, resulting more into an action adventure experience.
Well.. I like action adventure rpgs, they are my favorite. Yep, it's kinda hard to explain any cool new features in games like Dragon's Dogma or Red Dead Redemptiom or GTAV, since they are all console games for the most part. Man... some PC players are really missing out on some great console games, with great new ideas that are more fun than what you might be stuck playing with. But then again, console players are really missing out on some great mods, better graphics and more fps... well, sometimes. ;)
Serious tho, the NG+ I'm talking about from Dragon's Dogma, would work great with TW3 for fans who want the option. It's based on stamina mostly, then they have a speed run or dark mode that you can switch on and off too. You might not ever understand it unless you play it, If we are all lucky enough to get this option(s) in TW3, then you'll know what I'm flapping talking about. It's Awesome :) lol....

---------- Updated at 04:33 PM ----------

My argument is based on the foundation that almost none or a very small number of Geralt's skills gained through leveling contributes to player damage output stats-wise. That would mean Geralt never really increases in damage output through skills; skills only grant him new moves (pirouette, dodge, counter, 360 Aard) only with which he can defeat the tougher enemies in-game. This notion rose from the information that a majority of Geralt's skills are active skills (pirouette dodge, counter, 360 Aard) instead of buffs to damage output/health/etc. If this was the case, his damage output at the end would not have increased much from the beginning save for the weapons he found throughout the game - he would only have learnt new techniques to kill. This is why I was insistent that increasing enemy health would lead to tedium; I was working under the assumption Geralt's innate damage output did not increase, thus scaling would not have worked.

On the other hand, you work under the assumption that Geralt's damage output would have vastly increased throughout the game - just like in most other RPGs. By the time NG+ is started, enemy stats will have to be increased in order to match Geralt's end-game damage output, restoring the difficulty of NG+ to that of a normal New Game. Thus, Geralt can experience the same difficulty curve in NG+ as in NG.

Does this make sense? "This" being the fact that I have a perfectly working understanding of what NG+ is, and that neither of us were talking at brick walls. Rather, we were missing the other's wall completely.

To be fair, I can see why you work under that assumption. I suppose the foundation of my argument is flawed in that I have no concrete idea of what TW3's leveling system is like. With the information that we would mainly be unlocking active combat techniques, I jumped to the conclusion that all our level-up unlocks would be such. As this is not yet fact, it is not surprising you believe otherwise - that there will still be a substantial number of skills that contribute to Geralt's inherent damage output. I will not challenge that belief, for I have no evidence with which to do so. Therefore, given the entire foundation of my argument is not strong, the argument itself is possibly moot.

But interestingly, due to your repeated bolding of the word scaling, I have come upon another problem with NG+ in TW3. The rest of this post isn't directed at you, Saucer. Feel free to respond nonetheless if you feel like it.

Before I begin, let's look at what we know about the game for sure so that the argument is not based on conjecture. No sources because I'm lazy.

FACT: Enemies in the world do not scale to your level in a single game/playthrough.

FACT: On Normal difficulty, wolves in the tutorial can kill you if you are not careful. Also, even at your maximum level, you will never out-level the toughest enemy.

FACT: There are at least 300 skills available to unlock (this minimum calculated based on numbers provided by Marcin Momot).

FACT: Out of the 300 skills available, less than 150 of them can be unlocked at maximum level (based on level-ups granting 1-3 skill points, and 50 being the maximum level). As such it is not unreasonable to assume that the difficulty curve has been balanced to accommodate a maximum of about two skill trees in one playthrough. At maximum level, your two skill trees will mean you have a not-too-hard fight against the toughest monster.

Here is where we start. In any playthrough of TW3, Geralt begins at 0% in power. The monsters throughout the world range from 0% to 100% in power. By the time the end of the game is nigh, Geralt rivals the toughest monster at 100% in power. This means that, as the game progresses and more and more skills are gained, the game's overall difficulty is as follows:

View attachment 10783

Which is as it should be. The game starts out difficult because going to the wrong place and fighting the wrong monster will, like in real life, get your untrained arse kicked. At the end of the game, you can much more easily beat monsters you previously had trouble with, but still have a challenge in the biggest baddies in the game's world. The game is never too easy. Perfect.

Unfortunately, with NG+ things change. In a New Game Plus, Geralt starts out at 100% in power. By the end of the game, he will theoretically be 200% in power. This leaves the monsters severely disadvantaged, so their own power level must be raised. But wait. Raised to what extent?

---

Obvious option number one: raise the enemies' power to range from 100% to 200% in level. This maintains the difficulty curve of a normal New Game. But this makes no sense. This effectively means that Geralt's greatest skill as, say, a Swordsman is only just on par with the prowess of a lowly wolf. No matter how deadly a cut Geralt can make and how tough his hide is, at the start of NG+ he will equal the worst enemy in the game.

That's good then!, some might say. It incentivizes the player to learn new skills! You can't relearn old skills anyway. But the big problem is that in The Witcher skill trees are all balanced to be equal to one another. Swordsmanship is no better than Magic - they're just two different ways to reach the same power level. That means that the lowliest form of Magic isn't going to be better than the greatest form of Swordsmanship, meaning learning new skills (Magic) isn't going to help Geralt at the start of NG+ since all enemies have been scaled up to match his best Sword-move - his newly learnt basic Magic skill is going to have zilch effect even on a wolf. Only when Geralt has learnt a substantial amount of Magic skills will the player even begin to get an easier time, eventually maybe equaling the toughest enemy in power level. As a result, the difficulty curve is distorted:

View attachment 10784

Aside from the immersion-breaker that is slashing a wolf with your most badass sword attack only to see it lose half its health, due to the way skill trees are balanced in The Witcher (where only one or in TW3 maybe two trees is meant to be filled in one playthrough) the difficulty curve of the game is heavily distorted. In this case, NG+ scaling works against that sweet spot the developers have worked so hard to achieve with difficulty balancing in a normal New Game.

---

Option number two: raise enemies' power to range from about 50% to 150%. This way, at the start of NG+ Geralt's top-level sword skills are still viable against some of the monsters he meets in the world, and he still isn't overpowered. Now, he has plenty of time to soak up those new Magic skills. But what happens when he has an entirely new tree of Magic skills? He would be about 200% in power - which is 50% more than the toughest monster in the game. Difficulty curve gets distorted even more:

View attachment 10785

The game doesn't start out too hard. But then it gets substantially easier about halfway through as more Magic skills are accumulated and Geralt begins to out-level the toughest monster in the game. By the end, Geralt could probably take on Eredin with his eyes closed. Once again, NG+ scaling destroys the difficulty.

---

Option number three: Leave the enemies' power range as it is in the base game...

---

As one can see, there is literally no solution that will maintain the difficulty curve of the base game in an NG+ playthrough due to two things: skill trees are mostly meant to work independently of one another, and the player can encounter any monster at any time in the game. Unless one is fine with the two distorted difficulty curves above, I cannot see why one would want NG+ in TW3. The scaling works completely against what CDPR has been trying to achieve (good balancing) since at least TW2; why would one want to undo that? I really don't know, but perhaps that's just my point of view.
People can just play NG+ on hard mode, because that will put more enimies on screen at one time. Also there is no need to even scale anything, because sometimes it's just fun to be a super leveled up bad ass and slay stuff with greater ease and burn through the story. As a player, you can reward yourself like this after all the grinding it took you to get your new skills and level up. But if you do get bored, then just turn on the hard mode while in NG+ and fight 3 warewolves at once, instead of 1 or 2. Devs said that some monsters will still be hard even after Geralt reaches his max level, so no worries ;)

View attachment 10783

---

View attachment 10784

---

View attachment 10785

---

---

I respect the amount of work you put into this post, but it's far too detailed speculation considering how little we know about the game. I believe that it's probably possible for CDPR to implement a working NG+ after the fact for two reasons: NG+ is a concept that's been functioning in great games since Super Mario Bros. and CDRP are incredibly talented developers who are famous for adding in extra features after their games have shipped. NG+ would be a perfect cherry on top, similar to Arena mode in TW2. This thread is important because if it is a possibility, CDPR need to know that it's something the fans want.

But maybe CDRP built TW3 from the start knowing that they wouldn't implement NG+. That's the only possible scenario that I see in which it flat-out couldn't work. All this talk of active vs. passive skills is front-end nomenclature, meaning that these terms apply to the player, but they don't necessarily change the math behind the game. An active skill, just like a passive skill, is still an increase in DPS. It has to be, or else the player wouldn't be able to advance to more difficult enemies. Actives are just a more innovative way to implement DPS; they make outputting that damage more fun and dynamic for the player. Adding pirouette dodge, counter, and 360 Aard increases Geralt's DPS in the same way that adding +15 sword dmg would increase his DPS, it's just achieved via an animation and not a numerical plus sign. That fact, plus the fact that gear progression and the likelihood of passive buffs coming from potions and probably from some skills, leads me to believe that increasing enemy HP is a viable way to balance NG+. I'm sure it would require a few more tweaks and changes that I can't speculate on without actually playing the game, but, historically, NG+ works via enemy scaling balanced to accommodate increased player DPS.

Last edited:
I respect the amount of work you put into this post, but it's far too detailed speculation considering how little we know about the game. I believe that it's probably possible for CDPR to implement a working NG+ after the fact for two reasons: NG+ is a concept that's been functioning in great games since Super Mario Bros. and CDRP are incredibly talented developers who are famous for adding in extra features after their games have shipped. NG+ would be a perfect cherry on top, similar to Arena mode in TW2. This thread is important because if it is a possibility, CDPR need to know that it's something the fans want.

But maybe CDRP built TW3 from the start knowing that they wouldn't implement NG+. That's the only possible scenario that I see in which it flat-out couldn't work. All this talk of active vs. passive skills is front-end nomenclature, meaning that these terms apply to the player, but they don't necessarily change the math behind the game. An active skill, just like a passive skill, is still an increase in DPS. It has to be, or else the player wouldn't be able to advance to more difficult enemies. Actives are just a more innovative way to implement DPS; they make outputting that damage more fun and dynamic for the player. Adding pirouette dodge, counter, and 360 Aard increases Geralt's DPS in the same way that adding +15 sword dmg would increase his DPS, it's just achieved via an animation and not a numerical plus sign. That fact, plus the fact that gear progression and the likelihood of passive buffs coming from potions and probably from some skills, leads me to believe that increasing enemy HP is a viable way to balance NG+. I'm sure it would require a few more tweaks and changes that I can't speculate on without actually playing the game, but, historically, NG+ works via enemy scaling balanced to accommodate increased player DPS.

I don't think it's that detailed, really. Disregarding the bit about active vs passive skills (because that's based on shaky foundation at best), the fact remains that thanks to TW's history with skill trees where each skill tree works independently of the other, the difficulty curve will be distorted. That's regardless of whether it was initially a straight line or not in the first place; the distortion is relative.

Every time I've played NG+ in other games, it has worked because none of them have skill trees that function independently. It has usually been one skill tree which is linear in progression (so you definitely become more powerful as you level), or you are locked into your class even after carrying over your character so only one skill tree is available anyway. Only The Witcher (as far as I know), lets you freely pick your skills from whichever skill tree at whichever time and limits these choices to one tree - thus only the Witcher has skill trees that function independently of one another. And hence, distortion...

But perhaps you're fine with that, in which case I won't get in the way. If enough people really want NG+ and CDPR don't mind adding it then they can do so post-launch if it isn't already in (hopefully not at the expense of a content DLC). I just won't be touching it unless they somehow managed to keep the distortion of the difficulty curve to a minimum. With that, it's clear we aren't likely to come to a consensus on this topic so... let's just agree to disagree. :)

They're not scaling the enemies in combat, so new game plus would probably just lead to a very easy game.

I already played the game with a higher difficulty. I want New Game + so I can simply replay the story and not have to worry about doing every single thing.

I just want to experience one of the most amazing stories a videogame has ever had again....without having to put in the 100+ hours that I did the first time

Well.. I like action adventure rpgs, they are my favorite. Yep, it's kinda hard to explain any cool new features in games like Dragon's Dogma or Red Dead Redemptiom or GTAV, since they are all console games for the most part. Man... some PC players are really missing out on some great console games, with great new ideas that are more fun than what you might be stuck playing with. But then again, console players are really missing out on some great mods, better graphics and more fps... well, sometimes. ;)
Serious tho, the NG+ I'm talking about from Dragon's Dogma, would work great with TW3 for fans who want the option. It's based on stamina mostly, then they have a speed run or dark mode that you can switch on and off too. You might not ever understand it unless you play it, If we are all lucky enough to get this option(s) in TW3, then you'll know what I'm flapping talking about. It's Awesome :) lol....

---------- Updated at 04:33 PM ----------

People can just play NG+ on hard mode, because that will put more enimies on screen at one time. Also there is no need to even scale anything, because sometimes it's just fun to be a super leveled up bad ass and slay stuff with greater ease and burn through the story. As a player, you can reward yourself like this after all the grinding it took you to get your new skills and level up. But if you do get bored, then just turn on the hard mode while in NG+ and fight 3 warewolves at once, instead of 1 or 2. Devs said that some monsters will still be hard even after Geralt reaches his max level, so no worries ;)
Agreed!

I want New Game + so I can simply replay the story and not have to worry about doing every single thing.Scaling or not will not bother me .

How am I suppose to reach level 41 without new game plus? Am I suppose to wait till the end of the year to wear an armor that's already been released this is stupid

Reasons for having a New Game + feature in a future update or DLC (repost)

Many people would disagree if i said that TW3 is a game that deserves a new game plus alternative, for it's a pretty extended game with a progressive level scaling and a NG+ would only tarnish the gaming experience. And I could agree with that; TW3 is indeed a large game where the difficulty to level up is essencial to the game. However, there are some points that could be discussed as it brings the necessity of renewing the TW3 experience though through an different angle. It's kinda sad for example having the best gear the game provides only near the end of the story and having little use of them. Also, combat encounters are short in time, wich is great, but many of these encounters makes the player miss another perspective of each combat regarding technique, gear and abilities. Dialog options are undoubtly a reason for replaying the game, though it could be a NG+.

That said, a NG+ would make things too easy for the player even on harder difficulties, if it was just about replaying the same thing but with all the upgrades and gear. The suggestion here would be to increase the NPC levels friendly or non-friendly alike, or putting another level scaling for both player and game, and make the gaming experience as much if not more challenging. It would be a great way to further extend the game's life and increase the versatile aspect of gameplay. I hope many other players share the same opinion so that CD Projekt RED makes once again the best of choices regarding it's customers.

Sincerely Yours,
A big fan

NG+ is really a vain wish. It is fun for right 10 minutes, after which you will get bored beacause W3 is not hack-n-slash game, which is about combat alone. Also scaling works not really well, since you power-up geometriacally. People make high level builds, that allow them easily to dispatch any kind of foe (scaled or not).

On the other hand, if you want to replay the game for story value and alternate situations, there is no need for you to have all your stuff from the beginning. It would substract from the experience. What about quest items? Do they get removed in NG+? Items, that are not quest itemes but are involved in quest? Do you just get a free pass in certain situations, because you had a certain item from the start?

Any kind of new content for NG+ is out of question. If they make new content it is always accessible to everyone, not just people who finished the game. People do not understand how much work is needed for something like NG+. To them it is just a tweak here, a tweak there. But to make a good NG+ you have to beta check the full game and then correct all the situations that could ruin the experience, to think of ways to make NG+ interesting for players who are lvl 28 and lvl 37, who are widely different in power. And all this to be done, so you can replay the game without an effort of collecting anything? Lack of effort creates lack of interest and affection.

Top Bottom