Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
I just watched the B-roll footage again, and while hairworks wasn't turned on for most things, it was certainly turned on for Geralt and I believe maybe even Vesemir. This is likely a byproduct of the "high" setting where hairworks is only being applied to major characters.

On ultra, I'd expect hairworks to be applied to minor NPCs as well as monsters and animals..

Hairworks was not on at all, don't know exactly where it was confirmed but it was on the forums.

I think Hair work is on here. It was the same hair quality than in the 35 min gameplay video. It is totally more smooth here than in the hands on video. In Hands on vid his poney tail seemed rigid. Here it is not.

Last edited:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30456-Interviews-and-Articles-Part-2?p=1510663#post1510663

This?

amfibiya89 in both cases the hairstyle is the Rivian Ponytail. I'm honestly not seeing a difference.

Oh well.

Thx for your attention but i watched both videos again. May be hairstiles are same. But really there is differece. When Geralt walking the hair moved different than GDC video. I dont say its bad. Not at all. Both are amazing. But i liked January one more.

In GDC hair moving same with SOD trailer, E3 and 35 min demo.

They've shown some examples, very few, but haven't discussed mechanics. For instance, during the development of Wasteland 2 inXile explained the keyword-based dialogue system and how your choices are based on collected evidence and experience. The current pitch for Underworld Ascendant includes descriptions and footage of how the world reacts dynamically to possible actions, such as casting a lighting bolt on a piece of wood. CDPR has only casually mentioned these topics, but I think they are more relevant than the, yes, impressive visuals and exciting combat. Only because this supposed to be (at least partly) an RPG.

People complaining about graphics and downgrades: rewatch the video and notice how they say it's not on the highest settings, and that they want to leave that as a surprise.

Overall, I agree.

The conversation has veered towards graphics partly because that's what's at hand for review and discussion. While I shan't get into a dispute about what's supposed to be more relevant in a game like TW3, likewise, I too have noticed how REDs have chosen to remain silent or at least rather terse about pretty much everything else. We're closing in on release. I'm expecting them to finally go into the aspects you mentioned. PAX would be a fantastic opportunity to do so and, for example, I'd love to learn about how the world reacts to player's actions. That point ranks pretty high in my list, so thanks for bringing that up.

Regarding the hypothetical downgrade, I could be wrong but don't think anyone missed that mention. Damien made sure he dropped the infomercial both at the beginning and at the end of the presentation. Message received. But in all frankness, and trying to be as empathic as I possibly can, I do hope that was just a slip of tongue, for which Damien can be readily forgiven anyway, given his otherwise terrific stage presence. Saying things like «we won't show you the game on Ultra so you can be surprised after release» is pure and simple a cop out I wouldn't expect anyone to fall for. Imagine applying that same logic to any other aspect, not revealing how big the world is or the way alchemy works just so players could be surprised come mid May. Come on. Until official word drops, Marcin's previous statement that they might consider looking into it is what still stands for me. If in the end they do not show PC gameplay on Ultra ahead of release, then I'm afraid I'll be left with no choice but to interpret that as a sign of potential trouble in that department.

Agree about floodlights, I prefer the one in the 35min demo. They were visible but didn't really announce their presence.

But I think you're mistaken about the effect lingering on enemies, because it doesn't. The purplish cloak/glow/whatever that coats enemies only occurs when an enemy passes through the boundary of the trap. This is likely because the version of Yrden being used slows time within its radius, exactly as Heliotrope did in TW2. Why Yrden can now do this... I suspect has something to do with the skill tree being full of skills that can be activated etc. Anyways in both TW2 and 3, enemies are briefly coated in white and purple respectively when they passed into Heliotrope's boundary. Unless all versions of Yrden use this purple cloak/glow, I don't think it's a problem.

Notice I said "tall grass", but that's just one example of a terrain. Maybe the lights don't need to be that high but there needs to be more than a terrain level speckle. In the 35 min video it was basically on water level so it was easier to spot. And the FX on the enemy is to show weather or not the enemy is affected by the spell. Witcher 2 Yrden was an orange lightning so it's basically just different colour. It's either that or some sort of a bubble that slows time within it, but that would be even more over the top.

Again this is probably first and foremost a gameplay design choice. A player needs to be aware of the spell and its effect. We are not witchers, we don't have attuned senses. We need visual cues. Some more than others.

As Damien explains, the effect of that particular Yrden trap is to slow down victims. Victims are slowed down. You watch them slowing down. Why do you need FX to further underline what is right there in front of you?

Floodlights are too conspicuous. If traps really need to stand out in one context or other, explore other ways of achieving it. Iterate for a bit longer - that's my humble suggestion to José Teixeira.

Last edited:
I agree about the Yrden-sign-effect; I would really prefer a more sublte visualization. But what I really don't like, are the effects of the sword slashes. I think this wasn't in the ComicCon gameplay, now it looks really arcade-ish. For me personally a plane strike would be way more cool, than this magic-tails-in-the-air-effect. In this demo it looks like an arcade action game...

Thx for your attention but i watched both videos again. May be hairstiles are same. But really there is differece. When Geralt walking the hair moved different than GDC video. I dont say its bad. Not at all. Both are amazing. But i liked January one more.

In GDC hair moving same with SOD trailer, E3 and 35 min demo.

I think Hand on vid had less realistic hair... But the good thing you will be able to choose :)

I think Hand on vid had less realistic hair... But the good thing you will be able to choose :)

How do you know that i can choose?

What i dont like in GDC hair that, it looks like its hanging from 1 point. I mean when Geralt moves, the hair move left and right. It reminds me necktie ))))))

But in January footage hair moved just like hair. But again. May be you like GDC style. Its subjective opinion. Both are amazing.

What I like about the hair is that it surely showed to the people
that were saying the hair was too grey how white it actually is.

With that additude, you´re gonna be dissapointed, no matter how good the witcher 3 is.

Like I said, first time a game make me so hyped, I generally use a more passive attitude for the exact reason you mentioned, but with The Witcher 3, I just can't stay passive, not that I think the game will be the best game ever and blow everything else, but I am properly hyped, enough to consider upgrading just for that game, though I must admit, I went overboard with my last post. ^^

I don't think that's gonna happen, it's not an end-user middleware per se(if that even makes sense)

Nor do I think it's an issue with Umbra,

Call of Duty: Ghosts,Destiny, Killzone Shadow Fall, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Guild Wars 2, RaiderZ, The Secret World, Lord of the Rings Online, Planetside 2, Alan Wake, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Grandia Online, EVE Online, Free Realms and Dragon Age Origins & Dragon Age II.

^All the games that use Umbra, they don't have the same issue.

Yeah, I didn't mean that I thought it was umbra responsible for that. I meant it as a side note. For later on in the future, with faster gpus.. Camera-based culling like this, in an open-world setting, can make for very jerky frame rates. Where as the ability to maybe disable the tech would produce lower averages, but more consistent fps.

Ofc, I'm generalizing a bit here, it could be a functional dependency, like you seem to be thinking, yourself. Which very much could be the case. Saying that - you can indeed disable umbra on some games that uses the tech. Using the command line arguments on the launcher.

I doubt they're culling the foliage/bushes, in the way we saw in the video. I'd imagine they're just adjusting the alpha, based on Geralt being occluded from the camera's pov.

Anyways, not a big deal, of course. Just wanted to explain what I meant ;p

Last edited:
They've shown some examples, very few, but haven't discussed mechanics. For instance, during the development of Wasteland 2 inXile explained the keyword-based dialogue system and how your choices are based on collected evidence and experience. The current pitch for Underworld Ascendant includes descriptions and footage of how the world reacts dynamically to possible actions, such as casting a lighting bolt on a piece of wood. CDPR has only casually mentioned these topics, but I think they are more relevant than the, yes, impressive visuals and exciting combat. Only because this supposed to be (at least partly) an RPG.

People complaining about graphics and downgrades: rewatch the video and notice how they say it's not on the highest settings, and that they want to leave that as a surprise.

You should not worrying, because they have plenty of time to do so. I would timeing this closer to the release.I don't really need any kind of spoilers, but I would like to see what kind of side activities are (or at least a few examples), how the crafting works and so on.

About the consequences, if they managed to made it like it was in TW2 they have already made a miracle in the Open World RPG genre IMHO.

Last edited:
Like I said, first time a game make me so hyped, I generally use a more passive attitude for the exact reason you mentioned, but with The Witcher 3, I just can't stay passive, not that I think the game will be the best game ever and blow everything else, but I am properly hyped, enough to consider upgrading just for that game, though I must admit, I went overboard with my last post. ^^

I really don't understand what you are talking about!! Pffff

but I am properly hyped?

Last edited:
The PR guys are pretty good at keeping the hype train going though, tbf. As soon as it starts fading. Something else trickles out and restarts the hype engines.

@wichat how dare you post a meme without a cat in it!. For shame lol ;p

Wth..Why did they change the spell effects, it looks pefect in the very first xboxone gameplay video?
I didn't notice the red screen crap attack effects either, in any of the older gameplays. HaHa crap attack ;)

Yeah, let the red screen thing maybe on the Easy difficulty, but on the higger ones that's totally unnecessary and looks really bad.. I'm sure some mod would be released shortly after the game release, but still

Top Bottom