Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Digging even earlier pictures from 2013, some scenes are outrageously beautiful. The grass texture has a massive resolution in some of these. Just look at that griffon from the top scene, almost looks like CGI!

^^ That draw distance...

Last edited:
Maybe these two screen better illustrate what I'm talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/7Nz8n3t.png
In the 35 demo when patches of grass was hit by light each of the strands had more variations in the shades of colour. As you can see some appear white, others light green and some some darker green making each strand of grass "pop".

http://i.imgur.com/n8N5Y50.png
This pic from the January demonstration you can see that patches that are in the shade that most of the strands have the same dark green look while patches hit by light the strands instead have all the same shade of light green making the patches of grass mesh together more, kind of similar to an aquarelle painting and it is the same in PAX and GDC footage.

Ah yes I see what you mean now. Im not sure what to make of it, it simply looks worse.

One thing I disagree with though, is that in shadow the grass looks comparable to the 35min demo to me, in some parts, but the more light reaches the grass, the flatter they look, and yeah they lack variety in terms of color. It seems as if the same detail was there in both videos, but in one of them its washed out and doesnt react to light the same way.

The first thing that comes to my mind with this comparison is the power point presentation they gave once, where they showed grass and how it changed, and that imo what they thought was the "better" result, the improvement, actually looked worse. It was smoother and more homogeneous. So maybe its their art direction, or they downgraded it. Who knows...

That would be an intriguing comparison, except that they appear to be two completely different creatures. Open the pictures in new tab or something to view in full size.

The 2013 footage features the following creature:

January 2015 gameplay featured the following creature:

Notice the giant red arrows. While the creatures appear to be similar, 2015 creature possesses ridiculously nice squiggles on its back. 2013 creature doesn't. This can mean one of two things:

1) They are different creatures, and so cannot be used as comparison because the 2015 creature might have had those wings since it was first created.
2) 2013 creature's design was changed to the 2015 one. Which can be good or bad, depending on your preference. If this is the case then Mr. Squiggles tickles my fancy more than Mr. Scales, because... I like those squiggles.

Either way, the point is you can't really compare these two creatures until we have more info.

Notice few arrows that will help you see it better; that's completely different quality, even Geralt mesh looks like has less polys. Or we are looking on xbox and ultra pc.

Attachments

• 2W6Hzx8.jpg
    2W6Hzx8.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 42
  • lQcphEH.jpg
    lQcphEH.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have seen many moderators defending Cd projekt with the apparently Downgrade. People are concern ( Pc user most of then include me ) about the last gameplay + Several interviews + Youtube Interview.

It would be nice to know what happend to the game in terms of Graphic quality (Ultra settings ) . Why ? Becouse They are responsible of showing us Trailers / Gameplays /Cd prjekt Nvidia Conference that shows a different type of game in terms of Graphic power

We just want to know the asnwer : Pc gamers are pre ordering this game and it would be nice a final statement . Was the game downgrade at least a little bit ? Yes or no . Ultra settings will mach the quality of the Trailers and Nvidia showcace ? Yes or no .

There are many many people on this world who have hig end Pc and that doesnt mean they are better than console users. But what they ask is simply Valid and Fair

Last edited:
This screenshot is from the debut gameplay trailer correct?

You can definitely find imperfections in this although a lot of people hold up the SoD and before trailers as the highest visual quality we have seen from the game. So I don't think there is a downgrade.

Ah yes I see what you mean now. Im not sure what to make of it, it simply looks worse.

One thing I disagree with though, is that in shadow the grass looks comparable to the 35min demo to me, in some parts, but the more light reaches the grass, the flatter they look, and yeah they lack variety in terms of color. It seems as if the same detail was there in both videos, but in one of them its washed out and doesnt react to light the same way.

The first thing that comes to my mind with this comparison is the power point presentation they gave once, where they showed grass and how it changed, and that imo what they thought was the "better" result, the improvement, actually looked worse. It was smoother and more homogeneous. So maybe its their art direction, or they downgraded it. Who knows...

lol its actually true of the opposite, the grass looks exceptionally better here are some screens and a link to the power point.

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/GDC2014/Presentations/Gollent_Marcin_Landscape_Creation_and.pdf

Attachments

• grass tech 2.jpg
    grass tech 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
  • grass tech.jpg
    grass tech.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 36
  • grass tech 3.png
    grass tech 3.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 47
I agree - it blends better. Another question is about overall grass quality...

the last screen was suppose to clear that up, the change in color did't change the amount of detail in the texture, and to be honest the grass is pretty low res to begin with (in the presentation), about the same as it was in the first witcher game almost.
however the difference in color for some terrain textures might cause some loss of detail if it is too dissimilar, though this is not the case for most textures. you will get some grass for instance, close to sand, some changes that look a bit funny where the grass meets the ground, but overall it is a good effect that vastly, in all instances, improves the quality of that foliage.

actually i just watched the pax footage again, wow is that grass texture bad in comparison to the SOD, it is not the blending that does it, that texture is genuinely lower to the eye in some cases.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't see that much of a downgrade, the only things that stand out from the recent gameplays compared to the trailers, are the low foliage and lod, the missing motion blur and low depth of field.

Well yeah on some scenes the textures are low, but you see that in other trailers as well if you look closely, the difference is that in the trailers they picked the best spots and angles.
Maybe CDP Red reduced some stuff due to performance, but hopefully you'll be able to tweak the settings in the .ini files.

ps. the SOD Trailer doesn't look that good all the time.

Last edited:
Nice... a comment about criature skin.... How can be ridiculously nice a skin draw of an imaginary criature when in real nature there are awsome and incredible examples full of colors and textures? So, now monsters must have a skin draw pattern too?

Honestly I don't see that much of a downgrade, the only things that stand out from the recent gameplays compared to the trailers, are the low foliage and lod, the missing motion blur and low depth of field.

Well yeah on some scenes the textures are low, but you see that in other trailers as well if you look closely, the difference is that in the trailers they picked the best spots and angles.
Maybe CDP Red reduced some stuff due to performance, but hopefully you'll be able to tweak the settings in the .ini files.

ps. the SOD Trailer doesn't look that good all the time.

Yeah you might be actually right, with such a big world they haven't got enough time to give attention to all models, textures. Maybe May delay is for the best.

Last edited:
The reason Star Citizen is PC exclusive is because the public helped fund it. Yes because of the hardware of the pc the game can be made in the fidelity and quality it is, but they went to kickstarter to raise funds to convince investors because they couldn't find anyone to fund the project. Now I don't know if CDPR had taken TW3 to kickstarter that they would have been successful because a big bulk of the fan following TW3 now has, has come from after TW3 was announced and on it's appearances on E3's and other gameshows. That is partly thanks to Microsoft like it or not.
I certainly would have loved TW3 to be pc exclusive, and like SC, squeeze everything out of a modern pc. But the fact remains that CDPR needs to sell a certain amount of games for them to continue to make games and excist as a company. And they can do that by developing their games for the consoles. (the console part in the gaming market is quite big) And to do that cost effective they made the decision to share assets between platforms.
So basically, could the game have looked better if it was a PC exclusive? Maybe, we don't know that for sure. We do know that CDPR knows what it's doing, and when they decided to develop for consoles and share assets between all three platforms, they had their reasons to do so.

star citizen devs already stated that they will not put that game on console because their hardware is inefficient for a game that scale.
it's not about kickstarter

it's the same reason that made star citizen a pc exclusive :D
consoles are not able to render games like star citizen

No, the real reason is that the developers of Star Citizen proposed to make a PC exclusive and were funded to do that and that only. There is no reason they could not, but they chose not to for a valid commercial reason.

CDPR cannot be blamed for the lack of knowledge or motivation on the part of an unrelated developer.

Yeah you might be actually right, with such a big world they haven't got enough time to give attention to all models, textures. Maybe another delay is for the best.
I say no delay, but if little textures and pop in/frame rate need more TLC after launch. Then maybe if devs feel up to working more long extra hours after their shifts, and the wife/gf/bf or boss says it's okay. Then they can help clean up all those little tiny annoying things, with a patch here or there.
Or like I said months ago before the delay, they can just add a patch into whatever free DLC for the next three months after launch. It can only get better guys and girls.
CDPR are really awesome and well known for making their games even better after launch, if need be. ;)

Last edited:
About the volumetric clouds (or semi-volumetric), ok if we can't have them in the game - even though they could put them in the Ultra settings, people on PCs have the freedom to choose what settings they want, so why don't give them the choice? Just like Ubersampling in W2 - but back to those clouds : why have they removed them entirely? Even Skyrim or other games that were released on last-gen consoles had some form of clouds around the mountains.. in not one gameplay video or screen after VGX, SOD trailers have we see them again.. Why? they add so really much to the overall atmosphere and the world

i feel that one is partially directed at me.

2 points only:
1. how to have faith if everybit of information (properly and scientifically researched or not) cannot be trusted?
2. twisting of facts and interviews and whatnot is not ONLY a fault of the community (for example me) but also a fault of the many writers of articles out there.

You're quite right. Many people chose to have faith in CDPR, that they would do this game right. But the abysmal quality of what pretends to be journalism in the gaming business causes so-called writers who aren't fit to carry the wingtips of the old ink-stained wretches to try to make money and notoriety off false claims.

You're right, it's tough to have faith when everybody with a keyboard is trying to get you to believe lies.

You're right, it's tough to have faith when everybody with a keyboard is trying to get you to believe lies.

Nonsense.

You people should believe only my lies. For they are the pretty lies.

This game is obviously shovelware. I think EVERYone should just cancel their preorder. And send the money to the Sardukhar-for-President-for-Life Fund.

Only under my gentle tutelage will you come to know your true potential.

Digging even earlier pictures from 2013, some scenes are outrageously beautiful. The grass texture has a massive resolution in some of these. Just look at that griffon from the top scene, almost looks like CGI!

^^ That draw distance...
Why all of you guys pity something that is still in a f*** game??

Direct screens (prinscreen) from Xbox trailer:

After 3min in PS:

Direct printscreen:

After 3min in PS:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom