Building a gaming PC

+
Mindfactory got the better pricing compared to hardwareversand... I ordered most of my parts from mindfactory ... & checked the availability beforehand ... parts arrived 2 days ... for me it went smooth .. just saying ...

Yeah my last order was like... eh 4 weeks or so ago because hey the kid wanted it cheap and he didn't want to spend the 7€ more for the better service... For 15 days it's eh will be shipped in the next few days (and that was an "in stock" GPU).... Considering the second I get that GPU I'll probably have to send it back, because it was ordered just BEFORE witcher 3 came with it... (and what I know from mindfactory they'll just screw you over because they think they'll can get away with it) ugh... nope never again (I've been saying that once or twice a year for what a decade or two and some stupid kid convinces me every time because they want to save a few bucks..)

A bill of materials with a motherboard labeled "Gaming", "Sniper", "Fatal1ty", "Maximus", etc. Is an automatic red flag for me. Choose a motherboard according to whether it has the features you need in your specific application. Puffery intended to mislead you into believing that these are better for gaming is a way of separating you from more of your money. Buy motherboards by specification and features. In general, for a 4th-gen Haswell, you need a motherboard with an H97 or Z97 chipset. Start from there.

We really do not know whether the Core i7 will outperform the Core i5 at the same clocks. More thread contexts than an application needs, will just sit there and waste your money.

Do not buy modern computer parts in the gray market, or as surplus or used. There are no bargains and many ways to find out that you have defective goods and no recourse. Use these sources for replacement and upgrade parts for obsolescent computers.

Corsair CS power supplies are good, a little spendy, and there are better for the same price. You don't need 650 watts for that; if a CS550M is less, go for that. Or better, Seasonic or XFX in the same power range (520 watts and up).

I do like the Corsair Carbide cases. Easy to rout wires. Many power supplies will need an extension for the P4 (auxiliary CPU power) connection.

Ouch, now I begin to doubt my mainboard choice. At first I thought that the G1.Sniper B5 is quite decent for the price. Of all the parts, choosing mainboard is the most confusing to me. I know about few things that I want, though. For example, I want a 4 RAM slots, maybe 2 slots for VGA (in case I want to SLI in the future), and of course the price, but the rest, I don't have a clue. What do you think about Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3? It's in the same price range as the G1.Sniper B5. About $120. And there's this bold Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK for twice the price... what do you think I need to consider regarding the specs? I do photo editings, graphic designs, illustration drawings (with Photoshop and Illustrator and few other similar graphic editors), watching hd movies, and the rest are just standard usage which won't need anything specific.

As for the processor, I think I'll set my eyes on the i5 4690K, then, thanks to you. And for the PSU, the difference between a CS650M and a CS550M is about $10.

Thank you very much for your assistance GuyNwah, I really appreciate it :)

In another thread, I mentioned that I came across a cheap GTX 760 and my intention was to SLI it with the same card (which I already have installed). To set up the SLI, I assume that all I need to do is install the second card in the other PCI E slot (my mb has two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots) and connect the SLI bridge. Do I need to reinstall drivers? Also, since I am currently playing FO:NV (which HATES SLI), can I create settings for individual games, as to whether or not I want them to run in SLI? Thanks!

Last edited:
@Zanderat moved it here.

I have never installed SLI but I do have 2 different GPUs in my machine. Yes that's how you do it, just plug it in. I would say a driver reinstall would be a good idea. Infact you should remove the drivers, then shut the machine down, install new GPU and then install drivers. That's what I did atleast, just to make sure no issues would pop-up.

As for game per game basis, I think you can probably do that for each application through Nvidia's control panel, again, can't say because I don't have SLI so those options wouldn't show up but looking through Nvidia Inspector they should show up when you have an SLI capable machine.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the online PC parts store mindfactory that has a seat in Germany....

I give this single warning to anyone who stumbles my way.

STAY AWAY FROM mindfactory! The most incompetent, crappy douchebags in all of Germany.

Waiting 3 weeks on parts that are "in storage" is normal with them.
Delivery dates ARE ALWAYS a lie!
Complaints that fall within the normal legal 2 year warranty are a horror to get through.
The pricing might seem nice until you count in the delivery costs... Sure they offer a free of charge delivery after 12PM but the bastards like to raise the components price before it's 12PM.
Did I mention their delivery times are crap? I've waited as much as 6 weeks on a single ssd, after 5 weeks they offered to sell me a much more expensive SSD :-/ Only would have required to send them even more money and take at least another 4 workdays to process...
AND worst is their pricing lags behind, so if prices drop they might take weeks to start lowering theirs. Sure if prices rise they are cheap.. Just you'll wait forever to get it.

I order a lot of PC parts online, like 50-60 orders a year and Mindfactory never ceased to disappoint me in the dozens of times I tried to give them a chance over the years.
If it's stuff like a PC case might I recommend alternate.de though a bit more pricey. Their service is excellent, the returns are fast even after a year. AND the best thing is the outlet store Especially if you want a PC case, a lot are cheap and only have a slightly dented box while they still have good warranties.

And If it's assembly of a PC/basic installations and you're somewhere near Frankfurt then hit me with a PM... I'll make a special deal involving beer, pizza and witcher talks.

Thanks for your extensive advice. I really appreciate it. I looked on alternate.de and I have to say, it's the best looking online German computer shop I've seen so far. The prices aren't bad either. I set up a whole system (minus PSU and GPU which I already have) for 950€ or so.

Sadly I don't think I'll be close enough to Frankfurt. But it'd be fun nonetheless, so I'll let you know!

Yep, Alternate is probably the most professional of the german hardware shops.

They also partner up with PCGamesHardware.de (one of, or more likely the leading german hardware magazine) for a product line of PCGH-designed gaming PCs: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/pcgh-pcs/ Maybe there's something for you in there.

Last edited:
hmpf pissed today rocking a headache because crap hardware is crap.

So what happens if a GPU has a coil whine? Well I leave the room... Or in this case it came so early and so annoying I tested the range of the coil whine.
Spend hours discussing with moron customer support, as they said it can't be so bad...

Fact is that darn GPU started a a high pitched noise at 20% usage, the frequency was so high and so loud I could hear it after leaving the room once the GPU was at 50% usage. At a 100% GPU usage It was hurting my ears while being 10 meters away, across two rooms with concrete walls.
Stay the hell away from Galax 970GTX they are silent while idle but once you even start hearthstone they'll overpower the noise of a AMD bulldozer with a 285 just by the power of rattling fans and high pitched coil whines.

GTX 970 still the way to go?

I have a Gigabyte R9 280x 3gb and am seriously considering an upgrade.
I'm not exactly loyal to either the red/blue team, although the last 3 cards have been AMD.

I understand the GTX 960/970/980 come with the Witcher 3.
Yes, I'm aware of the 3.5 gb GTX 970 issue, although that apparently isn't much of a concern at 1920x1080p and is a top notch performer.

I could stay put until AMD releases the R9 3xx series, but who knows if Witcher 3 would be included as well. Tough call. Besides, Nvidia would likely meet with some funky newer version of the 9xx series.

Or, I just stay put with the R9 280x and buy Witcher 3 here with the extra goodies. I'd likely miss out on some eye candy, but how much - nobody knows! :)

Just thinking aloud here - thoughts?

I am in kind of the same dilemma right now, i have a 780gtx superclocked and i know it wont be enough to run at ultra settings with hairworks. I will probably wait and see how the game runs first then go from there, I really want the titanx but damn that's a lot of cash.

I don't think the 970 will be able to run it at ultra settings either but who knows.

I'd say the GTX 970 is a great card to have until Pascal arrives (hopefully) next year. I'm definitely ditching mine as soon as they hit the shelves.

@MikeP999 I would give my vote of confidence to GTX 970 for 1080p gaming, as I am immensely happy with mine right now :) Although I don't know what will be the price range and performance of the 300 series of AMD. But if the Gamestar article is to be believed, I think you can easily get above 40 FPS on 1080p on Ultra (Maybe even close to 60 FPS, if you overclock; as an overclocked 970 is really similar to stock 980).

@eskiMoe I'm anxiously waiting for the Pascal to arrive as well. All the information I read about it seems to show that there will be a huge leap. Let's see if it will hold up :)

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a fools game guessing the route of the GPU pricing/performance. So, perhaps if I want to upgrade, now is the time - to maximize the sale price of my R9 280x.
I also have a\ Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB - maybe a few bucks for that as well. :)

I'm not exactly loyal to either the red/blue team, although the last 3 cards have been AMD.

Yes, I'm aware of the 3.5 gb GTX 970 issue, although that apparently isn't much of a concern at 1920x1080p and is a top notch performer.
Or, I just stay put with the R9 280x and buy Witcher 3 here with the extra goodies. I'd likely miss out on some eye candy, but how much - nobody knows!

Stay with the 280x. Unlikely that TW3 will ever require anything more unless you're playing on 4K. For now the graphics are clearly not worth the upgrade

I could stay put until AMD releases the R9 3xx series, but who knows if Witcher 3 would be included as well. Tough call. Besides, Nvidia would likely meet with some funky newer version of the 9xx series.

Or, I just stay put with the R9 280x and buy Witcher 3 here with the extra goodies. I'd likely miss out on some eye candy, but how much - nobody knows!

1st choice) A GTX 970 is a great price/performance card which is likely to run TW3 at ultra settings and very playable frame rates, the journalist of GameStar Mag said that they were getting 60 fps almost all the time with a GTX 980 so I think you can get 50 - 55 fps with a 970 or more if you overclock it so it's definitely worth the upgrade if you like to play the game at ultra.

2nd choice) If it's okay for you to wait past game release then wait for AMD 300 series which will likely cause a price slash in GTX 900 series so even if you're going for Nvidia this will benefit you and you might be able to grab a 980 in decent price or if the price of new AMD card is much better than what Nvidia is offering then go for it.

NOTE: We also have a dedicated system requirements thread where you can discuss this sort of stuff.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...Hunt-PC-System-Requirements-are-here!/page131

Or...NOT.

We already had a Downgrade Thread of Extreme Ugh.

We do not need another.

We -REALLY- do not need another in the Gaming PC thread. Everyone clear?

Here's what you do re: building a good PC.

Buy the best you can afford, avoiding the top tier or two of hardware. Rest quietly in the knowledge that your rig will show games looking great.

Never ever try to have the best GPU and never ever try to max out every game.
It may sound ridiculous but it'll set you on a dark path that leads you to lose a lot of money and not enjoy your games at the end. There is always a newer GPU coming out that outperfprms yours, and there are always games that you cannot run on highest settings with 8Xmsaa. If you do not keep it under control the games that you cannot max out become unenjoyable, because you want to and you have to max them out. This leads you to buy more and more expensive graphics cards. This trend will become an obsession, where you are never satisfied.
970 is a beast of a card, enjoy it. You may have to drop the AA a bit, but try to enjoy the game and not the maxed out graphics.

I was satisfied with my GTX 970 but considering the Witcher 3 graphics I think I will just sell it and revert to my old GeForce 2 MX400. That should be enough.

Does anyone else smell cow shit?

Top Bottom