The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, let me explain it different. Everything/everyone looks so happy?

I was anticipating kinda a clash or struggle this time with the introduction of Yennefer, yet all scenes we saw so far are, well, good, happy and cheerful?

Making it almost unreal considering the circumstances. It looks like the problem(s) we thought would arise with Yennefer coming into the game are not really that heavy considering how the scenes are portrayed so far. Everyone who read the books knows how Yennefer and Triss "conversation" was at the end.

I haven't seen the first 15minutes of the game and i won't, so i can't judge what we can see there.

Maybe i am expecting too much from a videogame in terms of relationships, but i hoped that we see more than just a happy relationship for everyone like the Bioware games do.
Not really sure what you're expecting, Kallelinski. We haven't yet seen one bit of conversation or a full scene between Triss and Yen. More than that, even if we would have seen a bit of dialogue and they were calm, there's nothing wrong about it, because people don't always fight. And I imagine there's enough on their mind to avoid trifles when they can. When we have seen them together - on the ship in SoD - they were all focused about something else in the distance and looked solemn, all of them. Which makes sense. People don't hiss and fight 24/7, even if there's tension between them.

The other moments we've seen the characters were when they were alone in Geralt in some intimate moment. On the unicorn. Triss moaning in SoD. Triss in Geralt's hands with fireworks behind them in some happy event.

Why would they be upset in any of the scenes, even if there's tension in their life?

If Triss and Yen scuffle throughout the entire game then it'll be a shame, because it's reducing them to something they aren't, and makes them seem very petty if it's not moderate.

Last edited:
How do you mean everyone seems happy? I think the scene with the unicorn we saw was a flashback to the books as a manner of introducing her. I think meeting her in the game will be quite different.

those ones:
The other moments we've seen the characters were when they were alone in Geralt in some intimate moment. On the unicorn. Triss moaning in SoD. Triss in Geralt's hands with fireworks behind them in some happy event..

If Triss and Yen scuffle throughout the entire game then it'll be a shame, because it's reducing them to something they aren't, and makes them seem very petty if it's not moderate.

Hmm, yeah, you might be right. I just hope that those scenes are just the tip of an iceberg with a lot content underneath.

They probably just wanted to get the attention of new players with a lot of interesting scenes, two women arguing isn't really what you want to see :)

Maybe i just overanalyze it, we will see.

Maybe i just overanalyze it, we will see.

Dunno how it is for you personally, but i get the fricking feeling i am totally overhyped.
I just want to play TW3 now... and want to see how things finally "play" out. Specially
between Yennefer, Geralt and Triss... wonder what Ciri would say...

Damn this will be a fricking firework of feelings i bet!

I think there will be more pressing matters in the beginning of the game for Geralt, Yennefer and Triss so I'm guessing the romance will be put on hold for a while. Which will give CDPR the time they need for proper character development.

And then we will eventually have to clear things up. All 3 characters not just Geralt. But this can't happen right away. It wouldn't happen right away if the characters were already developed to the audience. Geralt hasn't seen Yennefer for a long time and vice versa. They would not want to instantly clear the air. You know, the need to do something else first is normal. They might not even have time for more. Same applies for Triss. I mean we did spent a few months looking for her.

Same applies for Triss. I mean we did spent a few months looking for her.
there's a six month gap between the end of the witcher 2 and the beginning of the witcher 3, so I'd say they cleared up whatever needed to be cleared up. obviously, it's enough that Triss and Geralt have physically separated again in order for Geralt to search for Yennefer and presumably for Triss to get all up in the political shenanigans of Temeria. But you are right, there will need to be some exposition on this sort of detail since we don't actually know (and new players will be very confused with character relationship dynamics).

I'm confused.

The books tell us that Geralt & Yen are an item. I know this based on those who read the books, I personally didn't. The game even suggest the same notion, especially in the W2. The game goes bipolar, saying stuff like, "Hey, Yen is your lost true love, but you'll only be able to romance her in the last part of Geralt's story. Unfortunate, we know, but here's Triss instead for compensation. We also compensated the absence of Ciri for Alvin. Welcome to the Matrix."

For someone who hasn't read the books, this situation is conflicting. It's almost as if the cosmos is telling me Yen is the only real choice & if you pick the contrary you're living a lie. How's my Geralt going to confront Ciri with Triss at his side? Ciri will be like, "Who's this? What are you doing? I gave you and Yen bloody paradise to live on... With each other... Alone... Together... Only."

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do when the time comes to pick, if there's such a time. All I know is that my Geralt (puts on shades) never asked for this.

well given how diverse the opinions and the number of ... i'm going to say unending arguments from players on this very thread who have read both the books and the games, i can assure there are some of us who are as stumped for decision as you or have come up with our own conclusions based on our interpretations of the books.

i can assure you there is plenty that suggests that Yen is not the One True Love if you interpret the books that way and vice versa. there are layers to this onion, my friend.

hopefully the witcher 3 will give you enough information to make a decision that seems solid to you.

I'm confused.

The books tell us that Geralt & Yen are an item. I know this based on those who read the books, I personally didn't. The game even suggest the same notion, especially in the W2. The game goes bipolar, saying stuff like, "Hey, Yen is your lost true love, but you'll only be able to romance her in the last part of Geralt's story. Unfortunate, we know, but here's Triss instead for compensation. We also compensated the absence of Ciri for Alvin. Welcome to the Matrix."

For someone who hasn't read the books, this situation is conflicting. It's almost as if the cosmos is telling me Yen is the only real choice & if you pick the contrary you're living a lie. How's my Geralt going to confront Ciri with Triss at his side? Ciri will be like, "Who's this? What are you doing? I gave you and Yen bloody paradise to live on... With each other... Alone... Together... Only."

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do when the time comes to pick, if there's such a time. All I know is that my Geralt (puts on shades) never asked for this.

We all know Fringie is the one true love :yes

I see why you can think of it like that, but a lot happened after the isle of avallach and while i think CDPR could have handled it a bit better and toned down the whole Yenn is the "right" choice, i dont agree that Triss is compensation for the absence of Yennefer.

In the books Geralt might have been with Triss but he never saw her the way she wanted him to, but CDPR used the amnesia as a way to introduce Triss as main character and a love interest in a believable way which i think was a good way to deepen Triss and Geralt's relationship, but also giving her a larger role in the story, and will undoubtedly make Yennefer and Triss's interactions a lot more interesting :D
To be honest i was not that fond of Triss in the books and i think she is a lot better in the games.

It feels like Yenn and Triss are more on an even playing field now as opposed to in the books when Triss is just running after Geralt-Senpai trying to get noticed -.-

Regarding Ciri, i dont think she will think that much of it, she knows Triss aswell after all, And she already saw Geralt with Fringilla (a lady in the books) and she didnt make a fuss about that.

I think there will be more pressing matters in the beginning of the game for Geralt, Yennefer and Triss so I'm guessing the romance will be put on hold for a while. Which will give CDPR the time they need for proper character development.

And then we will eventually have to clear things up. All 3 characters not just Geralt. But this can't happen right away. It wouldn't happen right away if the characters were already developed to the audience. Geralt hasn't seen Yennefer for a long time and vice versa. They would not want to instantly clear the air. You know, the need to do something else first is normal. They might not even have time for more. Same applies for Triss. I mean we did spent a few months looking for her.

So what we saw in the trailers are quite spoilers then, since they show the "end" of following this or that relationship.

Heck, some people even argumented that Yen and Triss will even kill each other for him based on the conversation in the book. Seeing those scenes in the last trailer suggest that everything will be just fine at the end. I want less lovey-dovey scenes and more drama :p

I'm confused.

Lol, the funniest post I've read in a long time mate, and you have valid points. I've said repeatedly that introducing Yen so late is a big gamble. To make matters worse, TW1 Triss is wholly unlike TW2 Triss. In fact, she's more like Yen. And then they finally establish Triss' character in TW2, where she's more like the Triss in the books, yet she's telling you she'll back your tryst with Yen, but this is Triss we're talking about, the clingy not-so-honest woman who's infatuated with Geralt. Of course she'd say something like that....

So yes, there's some inconsistency here. It actually resembles the fucked up relationships in the books after all. As for Ciri, she won't care who Geralt shacks up with.

Last edited:
yup, i would also say that Ciri would care, Yennefer was her mother, while Triss was her sister. Image your father is dating your bigger sister.

Hmm, let me explain it different. Everything/everyone looks so happy?

I was anticipating kinda a clash or struggle this time with the introduction of Yennefer, yet all scenes we saw so far are, well, good, happy and cheerful?

Making it almost unreal considering the circumstances. It looks like the problem(s) we thought would arise with Yennefer coming into the game are not really that heavy considering how the scenes are portrayed so far. Everyone who read the books knows how Yennefer and Triss "conversation" was at the end.

I haven't seen the first 15minutes of the game and i won't, so i can't judge what we can see there.

Maybe i am expecting too much from a videogame in terms of relationships, but i hoped that we see more than just a happy relationship for everyone like the Bioware games do.

Okay, 2 things.

First the "first 15 minutes" shows almost no spoiler at all. We have a short opening dialogue with Vesemir and then the guy playing basically goes to the notice board, then of the track and starts exploring. So nothing to fear there. They purposefully avoided the story in this gameplay video, no danger watching it.

Secondly, regarding the conflict. I think what we have seen are probably scenes where the conflict is already resolved, just as a sneak peak. I still expect some arguments and awkwardness. Especially arguments though considering we are talking about Yennefer. I really hope they get her character right. They have to give her enough screen time. If not the players will not understand how Yennefer and their relationship works.

That being said I am glad they chose Triss for the first 2 games. She was someone familiar, a person of trust to Geralt, but at the same time she was not Yennefer, which is good. I think CDPR wasn't sure if they'd get Yennefer right in the games. And they also tried to tell their own story, purposefully separating the books from the games with that move. And they gave new players not knowing the books a person to relate to. (Although I think it might have been better introducing Yennefer in the second game already, even if they only did it in the later half of the game).

They created an interesting scenario, and to be honest I do not know yet who I choose. ON the one hand Triss is very sweet and I love redheads, and she went through a lot with us as well, she really loves Geralt, etc. Yennefer on the other hand is almost the opposite. But then again, I like that type of character as well....

So I guess.....

#TeamThreesome

_____________________-

@ciri => Don't think she would make a big fuzz about it. Yeah she would care, and yes I assume she would still see Yen as a mother figure. But at the same time I think her bond to Geralt is to strong to actually be pissed about the situation. Yennefer and Geralts relationships where always messed up and they slept with other partners very often. Now Tiss is another matter, but she is also a person of trust to Ciri, so I do not think that she would care THAT MUCH. I think she'd rather have Triss as Geralts lover than some random woman she doesn't know.

As for the sister thing. Triss is not REALLY her sister, you can't compare that even if the relationship might resemble the relationship to a sister.

Last edited:
Well..... don' t forget Ciri is a full grown women now... and She knows the world we live in.
So "dating" her "big sister" ... wouldn t be a big thing for her i assume... though she might know
that our relationship "status" with Yennefer is "complicated" (fricking facebook writing here ...
damn i gonna throw up).

So... the whole situation isn' t that easy for sure... we have many things to talk over with Yennefer.
Not to mention the things we have to "catch up" upon hehehhe. I really looking forward to this!

:heart:

Ciri will definitely make a comment about it since she did so about Fringilla in the books and also made some very strong statements during the whole bowel movement thing on the way to Ellander in Blood of Elves. So I imagine she'll ask you about it and be a bit surprised about it but she probably won't stop you. And who knows what kind of relationship you can develop with Yennefer as an alternative to Triss? Say you manage to keep the romantic relationship with Triss and yennefer has to deal with that -- I don't imagine she'll stop working with you on that basis: 1) she also lost her memory and could probably understand that Geralt's character has changed and 2) I could be wrong, but I think for both Yen and Geralt Ciri is more important to them both so they'd work together for Ciri and try to deal (however they deal) with their differences ~like mature adults~. Then perhaps you can actually be friends with Yen. Going back to Ciri's runing commentary on her surrogate family -- she could probably accept you both as friends.

plus there was that prophesy from the Crones that 'if you find the girl, she will die *CACKLE* ' so it's possible you don't have to worry about a dead girl's opinion.

so after reading the #1 post and skipping all 229 post's will we be able to choose yet or is the love thing still only on yennifer?

so after reading the #1 post and skipping all 229 post's will we be able to choose yet or is the love thing still only on yennifer?

You should be able to choose. There are wildly varying viewpoints on which you SHOULD choose. (Sorry, I should probably have given you a tl;dr earlier)

You should be able to choose. There are wildly varying viewpoints on which you SHOULD choose. (Sorry, I should probably have given you a tl;dr earlier)
Hehe np =D btw when you say "should choose" do you mean that there is a True ending or something and you can get like bad/good/true endings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom