Physical copies

+
Physical copies

Will these be playable when received or will the mythical release date be strictly adhered to and either installing or playing the game will require the release date AND time to have passed?

Uhhhh i don t think the REDs build in a "time & Date lock" .... though the physical copies will arrive you
at / after 19. 05. 2015 :D so it wont matter anyway. IF you use the legal ways to get the physical Vesion :D

(Still have no report from my troops i ve sent out at nightfall... direction poland... DAMNED)

Even so... to provide a more polished expierience we will have a Day 1 patch. So even if you have
the copy before the release date and you install it... you might not be able to play it ;)

I am sure you are referring to consoles being connected online. I could be wrong.

The Witcher 3 is a single player game. If you do get your hands on the retail game early, legit copy I hope, and so long as it's a legit copy of the game, you should be ok playing the game while connected to Xbox Live and PSN. I don't think they will ban you for that.

The retail PC version, you can just install and play. So if you get your hands on a legit PC copy of the game early. You should be able to play it. It has been said that the day 1 patch will not be needed to play the game.

Digital copies will have a set time before you can play the game. Americans can play it early, Europe after 12am and the Japaneses will only get to play the game on their way to work.

If you purchased from a retail gaming shop to have the game delivered you would know that quite often you get them BEFORE release date.

It is quite common to have games arrive the day before release date. Quite a few games - YES EVEN SINGLE PLAYER ONLY GAMES - arrive the day before and do not work at all until release date. Either the key it came with will not be accepted until the release date or it will do a release date online check to confirm the date and time. If it is before the release date, it will return a negative and the game either wont install, cant install without a key or wont load after installation.

EDIT - Here is an example. I have an exact image just like this somewhere, but since i dont want to go looking for it, i will post a link to someone else who experienced this. This was one of the most well known problems for those who obtained StarCraft 2 before release date.
https://themeatshield.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sc2.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered my PC CE from a retailer, origin AMAZON germany. I still don' t expect the CE will arrive Mo that week.
Even Di (19. 05.) i don t expect it to arrive.

Mine wont arrive before release date as i am picking it up from the game store in person (PC Collector's), but i just wanted to know whether it will be playable for those who have theirs shipped to them and it arrives early.

Oh I see what you mean now. That comes down to DRM. Most retail PC games now a days comes with a DRM code for Steam, Origin, battle.net, Social Club, Uplay. So retail PC games are nothing more than an expansion of digital distribution. It's called digital distribution buy they selling it in retail.

This will not be the case with The Witcher 3. The game will not be linked to no DRM client or no digital client. If you get The Witcher 3 early, you will be able to play it.

The Witcher 3 PC retail - install and play. Don't forget to enjoy.

Last edited:
Oh I see what you mean now. That comes down to DRM. Most retail PC games now a days comes with a DRM code for Steam, Origin, battle.net, Social Club, Uplay. So retail PC games are nothing more than an expansion of digital distribution. It's called digital distribution buy they selling it in retail.

This will not be the case with The Witcher 3. The game will not be linked to no DRM client or no digital client. If you get The Witcher 3 early, you will be able to play it.

The Witcher 3 PC retail - install and play. Don't forget to enjoy.

Serial/cd keys are a form of DRM. FYI. And unless Witcher Wild Hunt installs without one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#CD_Keys

Did you just FYI me. wow. The Witcher 3 doesn't need a key to install. You put the disc in and install the game and then play the game. It's not that hard to understand. If you do get a key it will be for the digital version of the game, not to lock the game on some client that needs the internet.

Yes cd keys were used as drm. Disc - key - install. But that was so long ago. Before Steam. Now a days, Disc - internet - DRM client - key - install - big update - play the game.
The Witcher 3 - disc - install - play. Simple. How it's meant to be for paying customers.

Don't FYI me.

Last edited:
Did you just FYI me. wow. The Witcher 3 doesn't need a key to install. You put the disc in and install the game and then play the game. It's not that hard to understand. If you do get a key it will be for the digital version of the game, not to lock the game on some client that needs the internet.

Yes cd keys were used as drm. Disc - key - install. But that was so long ago. Before Steam. Now a days, Disc - internet - DRM client - key - install - big update - play the game.
The Witcher 3 - disc - install - play. Simple. How it's meant to be for paying customers.

Don't FYI me.

No man without proof you wrong
Install and download .exe and DLC and PATCH 1 day , and GOG key is no drm BTW

download .exe lol. Maybe for you GOG.com buyers.

CDPR knows that there will be offline buyers of the game in retail. Having those offline buyers download anything to get the game working, cuts them off from buying the game. CDPR doesn't want people not to buy their game.

Offline buyers buying the PC retail version - disc - install - play. Day 1 patch is not needed to play the game, CDPR has said this. DLC is not needed to play the game.

People with internet who wants the day 1 patch and DLC, they can download those things before playing if they so choose.

CDPR is not cutting the game off from anybody and they giving buyers of the game options and choose. A gog.com code in the retail case is not about cutting off the offlines buyers. It will be about giving people backup digital copies. And that is not a thing. CDPR has said that backup copies are not on the plan books anytime soon.

CDP.pl is self publishing in Poland, which has nothing to do with Warner Bro's, Namco and the rest. CDP.pl said that they will be giving GOG codes in the collectors edition but that is not official yet.

Last edited:
Moderator: Quit using this forum to belittle each other. Post deleted. Next "lol" gets deleted too.

If the retail copy comes incomplete and you need internet connection to actually have the game working, that is a form of DRM.
I'm pretty sure the retail copies are just install (cdkey) and play.
As for the game being on torrents as soon as it hits the warehouse or retail stores i wouldn't worry, since i have never seen the most respected/trusted crack groups releasing games before their actual release date.

DRM is not anything to do with requiring an Internet connection. DRM is a technical means of determining whether you have a license to use the game. Using a key to establish ownership is DRM whether it is entirely offline or requires a connection. An Internet connection may be required to receive online updates without amounting to DRM at all.

actually crysis 2 was released 3 months before official release on torrents.

Anyway , i think it will be just insert and install. Cd key might be there for GOG backup

CDkey is DRM. Before Steam the cdkey was used before you could install the game. After Steam you needed the internet use the cdkey.

Requiring the internet before you can install a game has cut off millions of offline PC gamers from buying PC gamers at retail. Offline PC gamers can not buy PC games at retail. Before you tell me that retail is dieing and dead, console games still sells really well in retail because offline gamers can still buy console games.

CDPR is catering to the offline PC gamers, who now can buy their game at retail. That is a good thing.

Digital distribution is fine. Steam, gog, origin, uplay, ect are all fine. They cater to the online gamers and it's all fine. What digital distributions can not do is cater to the offline gamers. Retail caters to the offline gamers. That is why Steam, origin, uplay, and the rest, needs to get out of retail. Internet can not be a requirement when buying from retail.

Anyway. I have a strong feeling that there will be no cdkey in the PC retail version and that there will not be any digital backup codes. Which is fine. It makes sense. I only say this because I don't want people to have that expectation. If you not expecting it, you won't be disappointment and if there are digital backup codes, you can be happy about that. Whereby not having that expectation or should be, should have, attitude concerning codes. Just play the game.

Having The Witcher 3 PC retail box, you can just play it where ever you go. Home, road trips, flying trips, train trips, holiday spots, ect. Install and play, ftw. Thank you CDPR.

Last edited:
CDkey is DRM. Before Steam the cdkey was used before you could install the game. After Steam you needed the internet use the cdkey.

Requiring the internet before you can install a game has cut off millions of offline PC gamers from buying PC gamers at retail. Offline PC gamers can not buy PC games at retail. Before you tell me that retail is dieing and dead, console games still sells really well in retail because offline gamers can still buy console games.

CDPR is catering to the offline PC gamers, who now can buy their game at retail. That is a good thing.

Digital distribution is fine. Steam, gog, origin, uplay, ect are all fine. They cater to the online gamers and it's all fine. What digital distributions can not do is cater to the offline gamers. Retail caters to the offline gamers. That is why Steam, origin, uplay, and the rest, needs to get out of retail. Internet can not be a requirement when buying from retail.

Anyway. I have a strong feeling that there will be no cdkey in the PC retail version and that there will not be any digital backup codes. Which is fine. It makes sense. I only say this because I don't want people to have that expectation. If you not expecting it, you won't be disappointment and if there are digital backup codes, you can be happy about that. Whereby not having that expectation or should be attitude concerning codes. Just play the game.

Having The Witcher 3 PC retail box, you can just play it where ever you go. Home, road trips, flying trips, train trips, holiday spots, ect. Install and play, ftw. Thank you CDPR.

FYI the point of this thread was to ask if those who obtain the game early can access the game without having to wait for the release date.

Since i have no RED confirmation of that, i will just assume it behaves just like all other games that can be played without an internet connection, but still has the cd key DRM.

I dont doubt the only way i will know for certain what the answer to my question will be, is when i open up my copy.

Since i have no RED confirmation of that, i will just assume it behaves just like all other games that can be played without an internet connection, but still has the cd key DRM.

would be kinda strange, since they've been pretty vocal about no drm at all.

Did this guy just FYI me again after I asked him to not to do it.

You asked your question. We answered your question. The retail PC version will install and play as soon as you get it, even if you get it before the release day.
You then FYI'ed me to tell me that cdkeys are drm. Some of us spoke about that.

Now you want to FYI me again to go back to your first question, that was answered, just because you were not happen with the answers.

CDPR has said that gog.com and retail will not have drm, last year already. No drm. You even said a cdkey is drm. Now you want to say you will expect a cdkey. So i'm not sure what you playing at with your FYI's and your cdkey talk.

Maybe a picture will help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom