Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 40
  • CD230lmWIAAry67.jpg
    CD230lmWIAAry67.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 42
I assume even though Geralt has powerful eyes, he can still only adapt to one lighting condition.

Geralt's ability to adapt to lighting conditions is probably extremely good. Not even scientists fully understand what cat pupils are for, but the best hypothesis is that it is for adapting to a very wide range of lighting.

Any pupil design can open wide in low light. But a retina and tapetum efficient enough to see well in extreme low light conditions are distressed by bright daylight. That's where cat pupils come in. They can close to slits that reduce incoming light below what you can achieve with a pinpoint pupil.

Ordinary humans have to do this to get the same result:

Geralt's ability to adapt to lighting conditions is probably extremely good. Not even scientists fully understand what cat pupils are for, but the best hypothesis is that it is for adapting to a very wide range of lighting.

Any pupil design can open wide in low light. But a retina and tapetum efficient enough to see well in extreme low light conditions are distressed by bright daylight. That's where cat pupils come in. They can close to slits that reduce incoming light below what you can achieve with a pinpoint pupil.

Ordinary humans have to do this to get the same result:

Let's get back on track. This threads about the downgraded visuals of TW3 not Geralt's pupils. There's another thread going on about his abilities already.

Developers don't do exclusives when they get big enough since the PC isn't a company like sony/microsoft/nintendo where they pay for exclusives for their systems. Why make anything exclusive for the pc? There is no reason since it's an open market and are not obligated to please any company. The only exclusives that appear on the pc are from devs that likely can't afford to go consoles at the same time, are starting out, or the game can only be done on the pc due to the control set up. I'm sure there's other reasons.

Only 10% of pc players pay for their games? Did you just make this up? Where is your reliable source or evidence?

In any case when you make a multiplat game you are basically developing for many systems. I'm not sure how rich CDPR is but I don't think they are Rockstar tier at the moment where they can make several different builds so because of it going multiplat we are stuck on one build for all for the most part and this is what I actually read in an article. Though it will probably stick like all other devs since even big developers do it. Only recent game that improved the base over consoles was rockstar in gta v. Anyways..previously the witcher games started only on a pc build so they focused on that. It's also no surprise that most of the time when consoles are included the visuals get toned down a lot due to devs preferring to work on one build which drags down the visuals in what people call a downgrade. Imo, this is because consoles are just simply not high end hardware so that one build gets toned down to try to maintain a consistent 30 fps on these systems instead of putting those limited resources towards making the game look better on PC. So this is the end result.

You seem to know a lot more from this subject than me. But there has been more PC exlusives in the past.
And piracy is one of the biggest reasons why that has chanced.
The 10% thing from me might be a bit over excracted from me but still

There is increasingly less incentive to develop PC-exclusive titles when a developer sees little chance of breaking even.

http://www.gameskinny.com/yc2ux/pira...-for-pc-gaming

Let's get back on track. This threads about the downgraded visuals of TW3 not Geralt's pupils. There's another thread going on about his abilities already.

The poster I responded to raised the issue of lighting and how Geralt's eyes might work in that lighting. It was not off topic, and responses to it are not off topic.

Supposed visual downgrades are not the topic of this thread. They are the topic a number of hijackers wish to discuss instead of the actual topic, which is everything to do with visuals in Witcher 3.

At the risk of repeating myself, there is no downgrade, the charges that there has been a downgrade are at best deliberate misunderstandings and at worst malicious FUD. Do not spread FUD, and do not present quotes misleadingly taken out of context, Photoshopped screenshots, and badly compressed Youtube videos as any kind of evidence.

Last edited:
OK, at the risk of repeating myself, there is no downgrade, the charges that there has been a downgrade are at best deliberate misunderstandings and at worst malicious FUD. Do not spread FUD, and do not present quotes misleadingly taken out of context, Photoshopped screenshots, and badly compressed Youtube videos as any kind of evidence.

Excuse me, first off we can have an opinion of whether or not we think this title has been visually downgraded. I have personally along with many others here seen MORE than enough proof to prove that it has. If your position is that it hasn't fine, but don't dare silence our opinions when presenting screenshots is more than proof.

This is not a scientific presentation and neither you nor I are scientist, so I don't have to present my material using any other methods then the ones I think help validate mine and many others position.

The game has been downgraded.

Last edited:
OK, at the risk of repeating myself, there is no downgrade, the charges that there has been a downgrade are at best deliberate misunderstandings and at worst malicious FUD. Do not spread FUD, and do not present quotes misleadingly taken out of context, Photoshopped screenshots, and badly compressed Youtube videos as any kind of evidence.

I thought we already established that foliage, textures, volumetric effects and depth of field are worse?

I agree that the draw distance, colors, and lighting is more to preference.

I thought we already established that foliage, textures, volumetric effects and depth of field are worse?

I agree that the draw distance, colors, and lighting is more to preference.

We have already established this and even my simple .gif compared to a CURRENT build screenshot albeit not the best comparison still shows a significant difference n texture qualities, foliage etc. It's just he's trying to put a pointless basis on why we can't use the word "downgraded" because it doesn't meet his PERSONAL standard of the word. Which is an insult in its own because as the consumer we are entitled to an opinion.

The only thing that has been established is that the degree to which these effects have been implemented is to meet the requirement that the game provide satisfactory performance on the best widely available hardware. This has nothing at all to do with the malicious false claim that the game has been downgraded to facilitate demand for the game on consoles. If you want to raise that argument, you had better have access to confidential business dealings that you most certainly do not.

Speaking as a moderator: FUD is not opinion protected by the rules and customs of this forum. If you want to make accusations that CDPR has acted dishonestly, you better have proof, and it will have to be proof you cannot possibly have.

Last edited:
Nobody downgraded anything to make console vendors happy.

I really wish we could have a proper dialogue about the graphical differences since SoD/VGX, possibly after release once the reds have caught some sleep.

Please understand how easy it is to assume what you described. For example, that HDR might have been dropped across all platforms in some form because it didn't fit inside the X1's ESRAM. Not in a malicious, evil-mastermind-petting-cat way, but simply because of development priorities influenced by Microsoft.

PC has always been all about options, and the perceived removal of those options is why we are left puzzled. To the more rationals of us, the problem has never been about how good TW3 looks : it still is a stunning game, and its great graphics aren't even remotely all there is to it. It's about if and why those rendering techniques, that we saw a few years back, aren't available as options in the commercial release. PCs have always been ahead of the curve, and CDPR had been one of the last major studios to use that power in significant ways outside of the usual AA, 60fps and graphics card vendor implementations. We can still play TW2 and be awed. I would like TW3 to be the same, future-proof game.

It really pains me to know how easy it would be to dispel the rumours, for example explaining why the LODs are hard-coded instead of giving us a slider like any other game such as Skyrim or GTA V. I can intuitively assume that it is an asset baking process issue across 3 target platforms, or that the engine can't handle such tweaks on the fly. I can understand this, know that this option wasn't taken away from the game for no good reason and drop the topic knowing that reds did their best. Damn, I really want to. But if CDPR doesn't say anything, the worst will be assumed based on the current state of the industry when it comes to PC.

Really, I feel sorry to harp on the subject and I think this'll be my last post about this. Because in the end, those decisions have already been made and their technical burden is too important to be reverted by now. I just wanted to say my piece, that to me the problem is one of growing distrust, and I respectfully hope that it can be mended and addressed by CDPR in the near future.

Last edited:
The only thing that has been established is that the degree to which these effects have been implemented is to meet the requirement that the game provide satisfactory performance on the best widely available hardware. This has nothing at all to do with the malicious false claim that the game has been downgraded to facilitate demand for the game on consoles. If you want to raise that argument, you had better have access to confidential business dealings that you most certainly do not.

First off, enough of the judgement's. This is a video game forum and that attitude isn't warranted here. You don't know who I am or who I work for and it's none of your business regardless.

Second off, I don't along with everyone else here who believes it HAS been downgraded, need to present our opinion in any other fashion except the manner in which we deem adequate to put our point across and IF you still don't buy our position guess what? You can REFUTE it and try to disprove it. But to say that we can't use the term "downgraded" without some insider information or "substantial proof" that the game has been downgraded besides the hundreds of youtube video's circulating around already is ridiculous.

This is a video game, not all of us are programmers or scientist, we are entitled to our opinion with whatever facts we want to use. And the facts remain that the original trailer builds and quality they promised us -- have not been met in the final build. Period.

Speaking as a consumer -- My opinion matters along with everyone else's and based on my observations from countless sources, the visuals are NOT to the caliber that was originally stated the game would have.

Last edited:
Man... I am a huge fan but the "old" graphics look like a game that comes 10 years from the future... Now it looks the like the typical graphics for nowadays which are great too of course. Just doesn't seem so future proof anymore... Wish there would be some Uber settings that would made it look like it did even if it means we can only play it in 2-3 years (Kinda like Witcher 2 Uber).

Also someone said that the graphics are reproducible? How? Tell me?! How to implement those graphics details back in without being a developer and changing stuff in game? How to add those filters or whatever it's called? Teach me! I want to have those results!

Also most disappointing part is the fire... I was so hoping for that VGX fire with that village burning... Damn it looks better than in real life lol... Now though looks meh not so good if I am honest... And of course the grass issue that's been discussed... Far Cry 4 has prettier grass and foliage, no? :eek:

You seem to know a lot more from this subject than me. But there has been more PC exlusives in the past.
And piracy is one of the biggest reasons why that has chanced.
The 10% thing from me might be a bit over excracted from me but still

There is increasingly less incentive to develop PC-exclusive titles when a developer sees little chance of breaking even.

http://www.gameskinny.com/yc2ux/pira...-for-pc-gaming

That article states: "Crytek, developer of the popular Crysis series, cited piracy as its reason for switching from PC exclusives to multiplatform versions after sales of Crysis took a hard hit." Meanwhile they nearly went bankrupt after make this switch. Perhaps making good games is the key to actually getting sales. Like I might say the witcher 3 took a hit in visuals but it's still going to be a good game regardless and a potential downgrade isn't going to stop that. I mean that top pirated games list in your article has Cod AND Fifa there. Those are the definitions of rehash that tend to sell well on consoles because they are simply cheaper and more accessible outselling even their exclusives. If piracy was actually having a huge impact as you say, there would be no releases on the pc for game at all since breaking even is not profitable. Yet we still get the yearly rehashes as well. Also exclusives are becoming less of a thing since it's easier to get the game on all platforms. The only way you will get an exclusive is if a company makes the game themselves or pay the dev off for it. Though I won't say piracy isn't a non issue, most devs obviously aren't just breaking even if we still get the vast majority of multiplats out there. Of course games will halo 5 will never come to the pc any time soon since microsoft funds and makes it for their hardware.

Last edited:
You can REFUTE it and try to disprove it.

The onus is on the accuser to provide evidence supporting their position. In most reasonable debates - you know the ones were the participants aren't already completely swimming in the respective kool-aid - throwing around vague assertions, especially those with a clear emotional allegiance, won't get you taken seriously.

No, you are not entitled to use this forum to post accusations that CDPR has acted dishonestly, by claining the game has been downgraded in a deal with console makers, when you have no proof whatsoever. That's called defamation.

No refutation of such claims is needed. It is up to you to post proof that you cannot possibly have, because you are not a party to any deals CDPR may or may not have made.

No, you are not entitled to use this forum to post accusations that CDPR has acted dishonestly, by claining the game has been downgraded in a deal with console makers, when you have no proof whatsoever. That's called defamation.

No refutation of such claims is needed. It is up to you to post proof that you cannot possibly have, because you are not a party to any deals CDPR may or may not have made.

Please define downgrade in your own terms.

I think the game is not DOWNGRADED; but changed drastically the way of it`s atmosphere, it is too early to say that, we should, at least, wait to play it and Jugdge by ourselves, I liked the last one, but I think the new one is also great, anyway, need shaders/colors? Even new grass/Trees textures? Modders will make their job as always

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom