The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I assume they assumed that followers have a little of common sense to know that nothing is forever and everything further evolves in such a creative and artistic world as a video game in this category.

Not only the technology but the artists themselves evolve and change their creations in search of improvements. Match the artist's perception of improvement or no mere question of personal taste.

I know exactly what you want to say and it can be summed up in one word... Vast! Its the feeling that you get when you look at the concept arts and see those vast wide open landscapes that feels epic.

I agree, It was much better in the VGX trailer because it makes you feel like you are actually traversing a huge world. Adding foilage uneccessarily really takes away from that feel and shouldnt have been done in certain areas. The area in the VGX trailer felt like a proper farmland and the new version just feels generic as you stated, it doesnt have that flavor that the old version did.

Ah so thats what it is. The wide open plain.

Makes you see the river in the back and you can just see yourself fighting monsters there, you see the fort and just imagine conquering it. The way the world seems flat like an open frontier but still has "volume".

However I bet that they just changed that place in particular. I am sure there are other places that look more wide open awesome.

---------- Updated at 03:57 PM ----------

The VGX trailer was after the new renderer

Did they switch new engine renderer after VGX ? But i thought that build was already from new engine. They switched new engine before debut trailer. Debut trailer was dx11. And VGX was published after debut trailer. Or am i misunderstand something?

Debut trailer they had just moved to the new renderer, VGX was using DX11. For SoD they had overhauled the lighting and streaming systems, IIRC.

Overall, I have to say, the changes between VGX and current footage are mainly cosmetic. Even the foliage remains largely unchanged from what I can see, I'm of the opinion that the (now gone) sharpening filter gives off the impression of different textures on the foliage. Obviously, lighting, which has also been reworked, also plays a huge role in how that appears. The only feature that we know for a fact - from interviews - has actually not made it into the final build are volumetric effects and actual cloud shadows, rather than simulated ones. And that is simply because the performance hit is too big for the little amount of payback in terms of looks. And Jose said he's trying really hard to manage to get that patched in at a later date, so it's not like the devs aren't giving their best.

Anyway, on the topic of how the visuals are now, I really like the way the game looks. The foggy village in the screenshot we were comparing to the VGX scene in particular gives me a very strong vibe of the background artwork for TW1's main menu:

So good, I think they've really captured the atmosphere I've been looking for in TW3.

Last edited:
The devs themselves said those graphics were replicable ingame.

I can't believe I'm still responding in this thread ...

Marcin responded "yes" to the question "can the scenes in the VGX/SoD trailers be replicated in there graphical fidelity integrity on high end PCs when the game finally launches."

The statement is definitely true IMO regarding the SoD trailer. It looks pretty much the same to me. It could be that when he responded to the comment that is what he meant. The VGX trailer does look a little better than the current videos we have seen IMO. So we need to look at what was meant by "graphical fidelity integrity"

Graphics: The pictorial representation and manipulation of data, as used in computer-aided design and manufacture, in typesetting and the graphic arts, and in educational and recreational programs.
Fidelity: The degree to which an electronic system accurately reproduces the sound or image of its input signal.
Integrity: a sound or unimpaired condition.

I feel like this needs to be defined too:

Unimpaired: not diminished in strength, quality, or utility

So basically he was saying a the video seen in the trailers can be reproduced without diminished quality. He did not say that every image in every second of the game on every system setting will look that good. We could argue all day about whether the quality is diminished. We don't have enough information yet to affirmatively say one way or the other. I think reasonable people will still be able to disagree about that even after the games release. I think that some people have more discerning tastes than others. If reasonable people can disagree, then saying a person's claim is false is unfair IMO.

Furthermore, even if the quality is slightly diminished when the game comes out ... the degree to which the game accurately reproduces video from the trailer is still going to be really close. We're still talking about the best looking open world RPG ever. Are we just talking past each other? I think it's time to just agree to disagree. I think at worst one could say that Marcin's statement is "mostly true."

Last edited:
The only feature that we know for a fact - from interviews - has actually not made it into the final build are volumetric effects and actual cloud shadows, rather than simulated ones. And that is simply because the performance hit is too big for the little amount of payback in terms of looks

DA:I and even oblivion I believe, had cloud shadows. DA:I for sure had volumetric effects. This technology exists and is not new by any means...the devs claimed early on the game on ultra would awe us. Hardly awing when they haven't even utilized technology that games that pre-date TW3 already have been using to make the world more convincing.

Also, this tree blowing sh!t has to stop. Oblivion already did this YEARS ago. Step into one forest coming out of cyrodiil and when a storm comes in all you see the tree's swaying and the gentle whisper of the leaves. EVERY single youtuber video I've seen has every tree moving like if a damn hurricane is coming all the time wtf.

And the grass and tree's look fake. Check this mod out that was released over 3 years ago for Oblivion. You're telling me TW3 grass and trees look that good? LOL ok. This post is not for the fanboys but for those that can take an objective position. The game has been downgraded significantly.

Attachments

• 2758979-panorama_kaer_morhen.jpg
    2758979-panorama_kaer_morhen.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 46
  • news_the_witcher_3_new_images-15919.jpg
    news_the_witcher_3_new_images-15919.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
DA:I and even oblivion I believe, had cloud shadows. DA:I for sure had volumetric effects. This technology exists and is not new by any means...the devs claimed early on the game on ultra would awe us. Hardly awing when they haven't even utilized technology that games that pre-date TW3 already have been using to make the world more convincing.

Also, this tree blowing sh!t has to stop. Oblivion already did this YEARS ago. Step into one forest coming out of cyrodiil and when a storm comes in all you see the tree's swaying and the gentle whisper of the leaves. EVERY single youtuber video I've seen has every tree moving like if a damn hurricane is coming all the time wtf.

And the grass and tree's look fake. Check this mod out that was released over 3 years ago for Oblivion. You're telling me TW3 grass and trees look at that good? LOL ok. This post is not for the fanboys but for those that can take an objective position. The game has been downgraded significantly.

First off, there is no need for that tone. Users are required to express their opinions in a civilized manner, if they wish to post on this forum.

Secondly, TW3 does have cloud shadows, just simulated ones like in other games, instead of actual ones, which is what they were hoping to have originally. And I don't think volumetric effects means what you think it means.

On the topic of trees swaying - there's a difference between simulated wind physics and foliage reacting to it (what we have in TW3), and animated sprites always moving in the same way (what we have in Oblivion), so that point is incorrect, too.

As for foliage, take a look at some of the Skellige footage that has been released and compare it to White Orchard footage to see how lighting and the type of foliage affects its appearance.

EDIT:

You do realise that this picture is how the game looks now, right?

Last edited:
I hope we will be able to change the files of grass/some foliage on PC, becouse it's not really hard to make better looking ones. Preferably in some form of mod. This way, those who are unsatisfied with current folliage and have powerful enough PC will be able to make the game as they wish, while people with weaker PC will still be able to play it as it's now. Fingers crossed for open files/REDKit.

I hope we will be able to change the files of grass/some foliage on PC, becouse it's not really hard to make better looking ones. Preferably in some form of mod. This way, those who are unsatisfied with current folliage and have powerful enough PC will be able to make the game as they wish, while people with weaker PC will still be able to play it as it's now. Fingers crossed for open files/REDKit.

game is demanding as hell gtx980 is not week mashine

The difference is there.
Sadly, draw distance and foliage are not so good as they could be.
Do volumetric fog, grass quality and draw distance have a great hit on performances? Yes. So what. Put them anyway, in Ultra or Uber setting.
With a 980 you can play at Ultra at 60 fps, right? Now, with the VGX quality about draw distance and foliage, you will play with a GTX 980 at 30 fps.
I really don't see the problem.

This was The Witcher 3 before the delay to "bring better graphics across all platforms" a.k.a a downgrade.

This is the Witcher 3 Now, after the changes across all platforms

There is a downgrade.

Attachments

• news_the_witcher_3_new_images-15919.jpg
    news_the_witcher_3_new_images-15919.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 45
LOL cherry picking images doesn't help your case, though some people in this thread are obvious trolls. Comparing high res image to less than 800x600 image of completely different areas/foilafe types? :rly:

Oh sorry, isn't that what people here are claiming the developers did with the first trailer? Picked the best scenes rendered in an engine they were going to overhaul anyway to give off false representations of a game that would never come to be (in terms of graphics)? Sorry, figured I could do the same.

Oh sorry, isn't that what people here are claiming the developers did with the first trailer? Picked the best scenes rendered in an engine they were going to overhaul anyway to give off false representations of a game that would never come to be (in terms of graphics)? Sorry, figured I could do the same.

If by "people" you mean me, then no that is not what "people" are claiming they did with the first trailer. Most reasonable people can distinguish between (1) advertising something with your best foot forward and believing the final result will be the same and (2) blatantly posting two images one knows are not of the same quality and implying that they are.

game is demanding as hell gtx980 is not week mashine

I have 970, which highly overclocked is similar to 980. And would choose 30 FPS + worse AA + vgx folliage over 60 FPS and current ULTRA anytime.

That's why I hope for the mods.

Also:
The difference is there.
Sadly, draw distance and foliage are not so good as they could be.
Do volumetric fog, grass quality and draw distance have a great hit on performances? Yes. So what. Put them anyway, in Ultra or Uber setting.
With a 980 you can play at Ultra at 60 fps, right? Now, with the VGX quality about draw distance and foliage, you will play with a GTX 980 at 30 fps.
I really don't see the problem.

If I want REDs to read one post before releasing the game, then this is it. Graphic options are always a good thing. With the addition that the game currently looks great. It could just be even better. @Marcin Momot ? :)

Last edited:
Ahhh, the village scene gif.....it's been awhile :)

I think some of the differences people are calling a downgrade are due to preference of colour\saturation and a touch of sharpness. Those, for people using a pc, will be changeable thanks to SweetFx. In fact I've just been messing about with a couple of screenshots from the higher quality footage of 'Precious Cargo' and adding sharpening. It does make things 'pop out'.

However, the views in the distance (things like lakes, mountains, buildings way off in on the horizon) definitely don't seem the same. Taking a guess, I don't think it's down to weather conditions like fog either. Smoke from the chimneys? Might make it into final build, might not.

You never know though, the gif with spinning boy might be possible on 4k with ubersampling, though I'm not sure how those settings would change draw distance if the assets aren't packaged with the game. That's a bit beyond my tech knowledge so to speak.

Having said that, I'm still impressed and we already know it takes a 980 to run at 60fps (in fact I think Gopher mentioned it dropping ever so slightly now and then iirc) so how many people could play at VGX settings, even at 30fps? That again is beyond my expertise. Would it be nice to know that VGX quality is available for use in a few years time? Sure, as long as it didn't effect the progress on the game up to going gold. Crysis and Eilte Dangerous did it after all.

All in all though, I don't think CDPR willfully misled anyone and I'm still really hyped.

how many people could play at VGX settings, even at 30fps?

I personally wouldn't care how many people would be able to play it honestly. It's called future proofing so you can come back to the game a later time and watch the game become prettier as you are now sitting there with better hardware, which Crytek did with Crysis and CD Projekt did themselves with the Witcher 2 though not to the same extent. Those who want higher frame rate can always just swallow their pride and simply lower their settings.

Thankfully this game supports mods, giving the game longer legs that way instead, like what happened with Skyrim and there is also SweetFX like you said.

I personally wouldn't care how many people would be able to play it honestly. It's called future proofing so you can come back to the game a later time and watch the game become prettier as you are now sitting there with better hardware, which Crytek did with Crysis and CD Projekt did themselves with the Witcher 2 though not to the same extent. Those who want higher frame rate can always just swallow their pride and simply lower their settings.

Thankfully this game supports mods, giving the game longer legs that way instead, like what happened with Skyrim and there is also SweetFX like you said.

Exactly the point that many PC gamers including myself take. It's not about being "elitist", it's about getting the best bang for your buck. When you invest $3-4k into a rig, especially if you did it for one specific title, it better live up to the hype. But unfortunately what we see happening more and more is PC titles being downgraded to come close to their console counterparts and/or PC titles being horrible ports. It gets even more political when you have company's like Microsoft driving their already inferior Xbone platform's into big titles like TW3 causing a bureaucratic nightmare to keep both sides happy. So in other words, we PC players who invested X amount on our rigs pay the price in the form of a fraction of the graphical experience we should have had, should the game have remained strictly on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom