A Night To Remember CGI trailer.

+
It sounds a little like those folk lullabies of old that mothers used to sing to their children when they didn't want to fall asleep. So they tried to scare them with some mythical monsters coming to eat or kidnap them if they don't behave themselves.

Wow, thank you for your translation. I like the way the English version flows aurally, but that Polish version is more clear about the meaning, I think. I really like that too.

I also think it's a human mother who would sing that song traditionally, rather than monsters among monsters. I feel like the fact the vampire knows about it says to me that there this general, almost universal idea about witchers -- both the monsters the witchers kill and the people witchers protect are mortally terrified of them. This trailer makes me think of that scene in one of the short stories with the deoval and the elves of the mountains -- the old woman describes from a bestiary witchmen and their hideous nature. Humans wrote this bestiary and illustrated witchers in it as terrible grinning mythic beings who steal children and bring curses while they greedily take gold for the nasty work they perform. I think they're perfect candidates for 'eating children whole' in lullabies.

As for Geralt not taking the trophy -- the way he looked at her and then got on his horse almost in a hurry and his expression seemed to show to me a type of anxiety. Maybe about what he'd done, maybe the reminder of the song. I think he just wanted to get out of there. I don't think he had an issue with carrying her head on his steed, since he clearly intended to take the trophy before he passed out. That moment when he woke up, however -- the song changes from singing about the night and those who lie awake to how terrible witchers are as soon as the sun rises after the title. I think that holds some significance to Geralt not taking the trophy and the way he behaved after he'd woken up.

The woman was dead -- she couldn't be singing the song, maybe it was a reflection in his imagination.

//i over analyse everything ok dont take me srsly pls

As for Geralt not taking the trophy -- the way he looked at her and then got on his horse almost in a hurry and his expression seemed to show to me a type of anxiety. Maybe about what he'd done, maybe the reminder of the song. I think he just wanted to get out of there. I don't think he had an issue with carrying her head on his steed, since he clearly intended to take the trophy before he passed out. That moment when he woke up, however -- the song changes from singing about the night and those who lie awake to how terrible witchers are as soon as the sun rises after the title. I think that holds some significance to Geralt not taking the trophy and the way he behaved after he'd woken up.

That's what my impression was as well. I.e. Geralt struggling with the darker part of his inner self and the song highlighting it. She wasn't necessarily dead, and with high vampires Geralt probably couldn't be sure, but he still left.

---------- Updated at 01:14 PM ----------

Anyway, that's very CDPR-ish. Reminds me of the Outskirts story with Abigail. I.e. a lot of undertones and open to interpretation hints. A perfect trailer for the Witcher game.

I got that feeling since I first saw this majestic trailer that Geralt have a guilt from the beginning, when he says "They paid me for you".

She wasn't necessarily dead, and with high vampires Geralt probably couldn't be sure, but he still left.

My interpretation is that she is definitely dead because otherwise there's no lasting weight to the song. Sure, she *could* survive, but... I dunno, I think it's significantly more meaningful and terrible of him to have killed this monster in the name of doing a job and then had a moral conflict the next morning about what to actually do. If there's a chance she survived, that would mean he was doing something in the right, something contradicting the song. In my mind, he killed her and felt absolutely terrible. The whole thing is just sad.

There's also these possibilities:
> 'they paid me for you'. past tense probably means he doesn't need a trophy to bring back (ignoring what I said about his clear intentions before he passed out)
> even if they had more to pay for a before/after job, he might in this case deny getting paid. seems like something morally uncertain geralt would do

Yes, it was the potion. You can see smoke coming from her wounds before the sun comes out.

I think that's because it was cold. I mean, it could have been the potion but that was more of a fizzle. it's also just a normal effect of hot blood in cold weather.

There is lasting weight, since it can also refer to Geralt himself. I.e. "witcher eating you whole" meaning your inner monster taking you over. Note how this "eat you whole" repeats in the end.

That's an interesting thought. Watching it again with that in mind gives another layer to it. There's the social aspect of the human perspective using witchers as a means of getting children to behave, the irony of monsters using it to remind witchers how much everyone hates them, and then the internal conflict of having to carry out the deed itself and internally eating your heart out.

Man, I really like this trailer. Look at all the interpretations people have and the meanings we're all getting from it. How many game trailers have done that recently? Probably a few, but this one really takes the cake.

*applaudes*

They didn't bring the idea of her being high vampire (connecting with Regis' explanations about them), and also didn't analyze the question of why Geralt didn't take the trophy in the end. Those are kind of key points there. + point to them for guessing that lullaby can be vampire one.

Last edited:
I think CDPR meant Queen of the Night as Regis' ex-lover. So she is someone else I assume.

Regis appearing in the game would be awesome. But not very likely.

I think he might appear in the expansion
Hint - a contractor called Man of Glass in Hearts of Stone. You probably remember what happened to Regis at the end of Lady of the Lake ;)

Watched it 6 times! Amazing! Could be my new favorite CGI trailer, though the Witcher 2 intro is also incredible.

Man i really hope that its just the vampire who'se dead.
I still hope that we can see the woman ingame still.
Can someone tell's if this is from the game (and then polished) or that it is just a trailer?

Top Bottom