Invidia hairworks is cutting half of my fps...(AMD GPU)

+
is that possible?

one option turn-on and this is the result?
With hairworks, yes, it very much is. Look at it like this: most games render hair as static strands. Hairworks renders each strand of hair as its own object with its own physics applied to it. That's hundreds, maybe thousands of extra objects being rendered in any given scene.

Basically, that's a f*ton of math being pumped through your GPU.

With hairworks, yes, it very much is. Look at it like this: most games render hair as static strands. Hairworks renders each strand of hair as its own object with its own physics applied to it. That's hundreds, maybe thousands of extra objects being rendered in any given scene.

Basically, that's a f*ton of math being pumped through your GPU.

but i have read that this is not optimized even on INVIDIA GPU...

is that possible?

that is if you need 60fps
i can play with everything on ultra and hairworks on @30fps with my gtx970

I was getting about the same with the same card. Too low for me. Hairworks was kind of cool but hair was still pretty floaty and unrealistic like it was in Tomb Raider. I didn't realize the griffin head was going to be a sick trophy that I could carry around on my horse all the time though so that did tempt me to enable it. Hair on it and other monsters makes we want to go up and pet it, its too soft looking. Hair, especially on humans, looks great (better?) with it disabled though. On monsters it looks crusty and spikey like an animal but now I am just justifying my 15 extra fps.

but i have read that this is not optimized even on INVIDIA GPU...

is that possible?

It's not a matter of optimization, it's a matter of basically doubling your GPU's workload with one click. Unless you have a Titan X (or whatever the AMD equivalent is), I recommend turning it off.

It's also a massive FPS hit on nvidia cards. It's basically a little extra bonus for the "I spent 1k quid on a GPU, give me something to use it on" crowd.

lawl with the gpu suggested by INVIDIA you are doing only 30 fps? 0.o

yep, same for project cars -> no way to play @60fps with everything on max.
HBAO+ and Hairworks kill the framerate quite a lot.

the suggested geforce expierience setting for the GTX970 is high with some things on ultra (but only SSAO and no hairworks)
i get 60fps with that - but with everything maxed its around 30fps for me :/
(i can live with that - love how the game looks maxed out)

lawl with the gpu suggested by INVIDIA you are doing only 30 fps? 0.o

I assume he was saying that he has capped it at 30FPS

I have done the same and I run a 970 - I would prefer to have a smooth experience than a constant fluctuating one.

Unlocked I average about 45fps with everything ultra and hairworks on. Rather have a solid rate than constant fluctuating one though.

i can play ultra 1080p 30fps (30 - 45 unlocked) hairworks on with my 960 disabling AA. so i guess compatibility issues with amd

Last edited:
I assume he was saying that he has capped it at 30FPS

I have done the same and I run a 970 - I would prefer to have a smooth experience than a constant fluctuating one.

Unlocked I average about 45fps with everything ultra and hairworks on. Rather have a solid rate than constant fluctuating one though.

yep, thats exactly what i did! better constant 30fps then the framerate jumping around

Top Bottom