A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it has been said or not, but once I set my frames to unlimited and vsync off, I have not had a single freeze or crash. Just thought this might help some people. I also turned the "Background People" or whatever setting down to low. Everything else is ultra, minus some post processing effects, and I don't freeze or crash anymore. Just trying to help. TL;DR: Try turning frame rate lock to unlimited and turn off vsync. No more crashes for me.

So after browsing hours for solution it seems i finally fixed it

I underclocked my gigabyte windforce 780ti core clock -105mhz and memory -170mhz with msi afterburner, forced the fps to 40 with msi afterburner and opened the fps lock ingame, also I turned of the nvidia stream shit for shield tabel and put the priority of witcher 3 to High in taskmanager, playing the game in mostly high settings, some things like water quality is on ultra, fullscreen 1920x1080

I7 4790k
GTX 780 TI Gigabyte Windforce with the latest driver(352,86)
8GB DDR3 Ram
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
256GB SSD Crucial MX100 with win 8.1 64bit

---------- Updated at 08:35 PM ----------

So after browsing hours for the solution of the random freezes and crashes it seems i finally fixed it

I underclocked my gigabyte windforce 780ti core clock -105mhz and memory -170mhz with msi afterburner, forced the fps to 40 with msi afterburner and opened the fps lock ingame, also I turned of the nvidia stream shit for shield tabel and put the priority of witcher 3 to High in taskmanager, playing the game in mostly high settings, some things like water quality is on ultra, fullscreen 1920x1080

I7 4790k
GTX 780 TI Gigabyte Windforce with the latest driver(352,86)
8GB DDR3 Ram
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
256GB SSD Crucial MX100 with win 8.1 64bit

cant edit my first post sorry

i have the same exactly gpu 780ti windforce oc and cpu(i7 4770)

my problem is like this : it crash sometime random
and i also have artifact like in this video (0:01 and 0:41 in the video)

do you have this ?

[video=youtube;-gSIVNCO4ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSIVNCO4ro[/video]

i try to underclock it (i only get the core clock down 105mhz with msi afterburner)

not the memory ......

you think i should do like you ?

@VerrenusDo you know how one could go about doing the following? So, playing on the PC with a controller, I'd like to be able to cast signs via shortcut buttons on the controller rather than opening the radial menu every time. Do you know how one could map buttons to cast various signs? For example, R2+X = Igni, R2+O = Aard, etc.?

I am afraid I am not that familiar with controllers, since I mostly use keyboard and mouse for my games, but people on NeoGAF mentioned this program might help with rebinding controller commands: Antimicro.

You might want to ask your question again their Witcher 3 PC Performance thread, since they could provide much more information than me! :p

This should be in the OP. I couldn't find it in the registry.

Noted! I will update the OP with the information straight away! ;)

Question, i don't have "MovieUberSampling" in my user settings. Should/can i still add it to the list? Even when it's running at 60 during cutscenes?

I didn't see that particular setting either, so I think it's better to just forget about it entirely. I'll remove it from the OP and only keep the 60 frames-per-second tweak! :)

@Verrenus,
Very useful!! Thank you!

No problem, glad to be of service! Have a blast playing the game and should you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to come back and ask them at your leisure! :D

I don't know if it has been said or not, but once I set my frames to unlimited and vsync off, I have not had a single freeze or crash. Just thought this might help some people. I also turned the "Background People" or whatever setting down to low. Everything else is ultra, minus some post processing effects, and I don't freeze or crash anymore. Just trying to help. TL;DR: Try turning frame rate lock to unlimited and turn off vsync. No more crashes for me.

This might indeed be helpful to people experiencing crashes. I will update the OP immediately with this information, thanks a lot! :D

i try to underclock it (i only get the core clock down 105mhz with msi afterburner) not the memory ......you think i should do like you ?

I am sorry I cannot personally help you with this, yotam, since I'm not familiar with GPU over/underclocking at all (only CPU overclocking)! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can provide you with more information on the matter. Best of luck to you until then! ;)

---------- Updated at 11:32 PM ----------

It seems I'm getting "500 Internal Server Error" (nginx) messages whenever I try to edit the OP again, so I will have to do the modifications tomorrow morning! Thank you once again so much for all of your contributions! Do keep them coming! :D

do you have this ?

[video=youtube;-gSIVNCO4ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSIVNCO4ro[/video]

i try to underclock it (i only get the core clock down 105mhz with msi afterburner)

not the memory ......

you think i should do like you ?

no i dont have bugs like these, sorry, but i had this earlier with an older GPU in another game, it was an 550ti and the VRAM was damaged or something like that, but that doesnt mean your vram is damaged too, i got the core clock at -105 like you and the memory at -170 and added +45mV at core Voltage, these changes fixed the crashes for me, with some luck it will work for you too :)

Has anyone had a chance to play with the resources.ini file in the Witcher 3/bin/config/base directory? Looks like you can make some decent adjustments if you know what you are doing (which I don't :( )

Question, i don't have "MovieUberSampling" in my user settings.

Should/can i still add it to the list ?

Even when it's running at 60 during cutscenes ?

It's actually in a different folder (C drive - Gog Games - Witcher 3 and then IIRC, config - base - visuals file).

Has anybody figured out how to turn off floating NPC names and/or damage numbers yet? I made a thread about it but it got buried pretty quick ;_;

I think something is wrong with my game. I know it's demanding but i almost can't run it properly.
I have 40-50 fps when everything is on LOW. And i have a GTX 970 and a i5 4690k (both unclocked).
The funny thing is that i only lose about 10 fps when i turn everything to high (except Hairworks wich is completely off). Tough that brings me down to thirty which is unplayble for me.
I also feel some stuttering. Especially in cutscenes where it becomes really affecting.
Another thing is the bad upscaling ( i use a 4K monitor) which is present in some games. Far Cry 4 did it very well and Crysis 3 good. The Witcher 3 just look very blurry.

Thankfull for help. Can't play it in this stage which is really pity cuz the storry and gameplay seems top notch.

@Mr. Barvo, Might be your processor holding your frames from hitting 60. Recommended on the box is an i7. 40-50 isn't bad, but that being said, I average 98fps on a mix of high-ultra settings.

Mr. Barvo that doesn't sound right, I get constant 60fps @ 1080p with my i5 2500k and gtx 970 with everything set to high (harrows off) - I'm using the latest drivers and windows 7 64-bit. I do however get the freezes from time to time.../j

no i dont have bugs like these, sorry, but i had this earlier with an older GPU in another game, it was an 550ti and the VRAM was damaged or something like that, but that doesnt mean your vram is damaged too, i got the core clock at -105 like you and the memory at -170 and added +45mV at core Voltage, these changes fixed the crashes for me, with some luck it will work for you too :)

thanks for the reply ... i hope i will manage to solve it .. becuase it ruin my game .

i only worried that if i touch the Voltage i damage my gpu...

why you need to touch the Voltage if you underclock your gpu ?

The important thing there is that you put your frame limiter in video options on Unlimited! It immediately fixes the crashing. My vsync is on and I have a monitor and TV connected.

i just saw there was a new patch out (so quick 0.0), and from the details and fixes it has...wow
i can only think of one thing:

so what's the feedback people ? did it improve the game ? what are your thoughts and comments on them fellow PC gamers ?

A few intersting param tweaks, if anyone wants to try them;

Add them to the user.settings, under the [Rendering] section. A few I've found from the game exe;

ForceCinematicModeOn=true (not exactly sure what this does yet)
EnableHighPrecision=true (this appears to increase lighting quality) I presume with an increase to floating point precision.
EnableLightChannels=true
EnableDeferredLightsStencil=true
EnableBuoyancy=true (water related, It's probably enabled by default, though)
UseMipRefiner=true (mipmap texture related)

There's a lot more I've found from checking out the game's binary, but I don't have any bases for the default values of the numeric ones (as in not a true/false bool). Alot of SpeedTree tweaks, and distance stuff, but I need to get around to testing them.

Intel i5 3570k issue :

I seem to get my processor used only 25-30%... I went to Task Manager and chosen Witcher3.exe and made the game "High Priority".

The game seems like it's not using the CPU to it's full power, you're going to notice a bigger use in CPU now and probably some more RAM (in my case 575MB more of Ram and more 12% of CPU use)

10 more fps to me! I'm now able to play the game at 50 fps stable with medium/high settings!
i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz here with HT enabled. Tried the high priority setting to see if there would be some additional fps gains but it proved to be the opposite. In more demanding scenes the game actually ran 2-3 frames slower than usual. Not sure if it's because of overclocking or HyperThreading but it definitely didn't improve the FPS for me.

@Verrenus You might want to update the OP that i7 users might not find this tweak useful.

@eskiMoe that might be a tabbing related issue. If you're playing in fullscreen mode. The game doesn't like alt+tabing out of it. If you want to use the high prio tweak. I'd recommend either adding it to the registry, or getting the process wrangler app. That allows you to save priority settings from the task manager, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom