Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
I managed to finish the mission. You can auto save in-between the fights and that has helped me!

Oh god ! Same card, same error. Only in combat. This drive me crazy on long boss fight (please no crash no crash noooooooooooo. Well, try 45; this time no crash for sure...).
I tried pretty much everything I could find on the internet (Fullscreen, beta Drivers, old drivers, vsync, tweaks here and there on the graphic options) with no success.

Hopefuly, knowing the source of the problem is a step in the right direction.

Oh god ! Same card, same error. Only in combat. This drive me crazy on long boss fight (please no crash no crash noooooooooooo. Well, try 45; this time no crash for sure...).
I tried pretty much everything I could find on the internet (Fullscreen, beta Drivers, old drivers, vsync, tweaks here and there on the graphic options) with no success.

Hopefuly, knowing the source of the problem is a step in the right direction.

Yup, I can say for certainty that I've tried every suggested fix out there and still nothing. I've put the game on hold for now and contacted both AMD and CDProjekt linking them to this thread so they know it IS an issue with the game running on a R9 285. Hopefully a new patch/driver update resolves this but I'm not sure they are currently aware of this issue.

Yup, I can say for certainty that I've tried every suggested fix out there and still nothing. I've put the game on hold for now and contacted both AMD and CDProjekt linking them to this thread so they know it IS an issue with the game running on a R9 285. Hopefully a new patch/driver update resolves this but I'm not sure they are currently aware of this issue.
Nice work informing AMD also. Can at least someone from CDPR confirm that the issue has been noticed and will be looked at?

I managed to finish the mission. You can auto save in-between the fights and that has helped me!

heeh ive done that alot but it is REALLY frustrating when you are fighting alot of creatures and it freezes like on the last npc in the the pack its like AAAARGH not again.

---------- Updated at 04:27 PM ----------

@Guldy
The same place, the same mission ..
The same card.
R9 285 = GCN 1.2 = Improved tesselation, but maybe not at all ..
Could someone disable tesselation in Catalyst for witcher 3?

this is most likely the issue since no other amd card users are reporting this specific issue, it seems exclusive to gcn 1.2 users which is primarily r9 285 atm.

@Guldy
The same place, the same mission ..
The same card.
R9 285 = GCN 1.2 = Improved tesselation, but maybe not at all ..
Could someone disable tesselation in Catalyst for witcher 3?

Did you find a way to test this?
I guess I could try disabling tessellation for Witcher 3 using the same method that people are using to use 8x/16x Hairworks on AMD cards.
Will be posting soon with results.

Did you find a way to test this?
I guess I could try disabling tessellation for Witcher 3 using the same method that people are using to use 8x/16x Hairworks on AMD cards.
Will be posting soon with results.
Excited about this. Waiting for your test results. Hah we are doing your job for you CDPR.

Im actually having the exact same problem with the exact same card.

I managed to pass a particular part but now im stuck again because it keeps freezing.

Last edited:
Same problem. XFX R9 285. Here is what I have tried to get it to work: Driver rollback/uninstall/reinstall. Switched slots on the mobo, verified and reinstalled game and patches, unplugged mouse and keyboard, tried xbox game controller, delete recent saves, changed destination folder, ran it off a portable hard drive, underclocked, over clocked. NOTHING has worked...At this point I have realized that we are going to just have to wait for a patch. I can get into the game anywhere from 10mins to 2 hours but I usually crash during combat on third hits or finishers. Hopefully this info helps.

r9 285 (Powercolor) also having the same problem. I went through the game fine until the "three portals fight" when I had constant crashing when killing those monsters with swords. Managed to get through that area using Igni to finish off the monsters. Was fine for a while after that, now in another quest area in Velen I'm getting the same crashes when landing a killing blow with a sword. Other than these crashes the game is running fine. Everything is going smoothly, I land a blow with a sword and the crash is instant.

So far I've recieved one response from CDPR asking me to update my drivers (meaning they really didn't read the thread as I asked them to), no following responses after clarifying that I've already tried multiple driver versions.
Seriously CDPR? I really regret buying this game. I messed with the settings in AMD Catalyst also but no luck.

Well replaced the R285 with my old 5850 I still had (same driver) and no more crashes... Too bad that performance is really bad with this one, but it proves that the lockups are somehow only related to this card :(

Top Bottom