Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
People have reported crashing in other instances like fighting a Cockatrice. I personally crashed fighting a bear last night and it wasn't very low on health. I'm still not sure what the exact parameters are that cause the crashing. Let's hope CDPR/AMD can figure things out and issue a fix.

I can confirm that after killing many enemies i didn't notice any crash on AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Engineering Sample - WDDM v2.0) drivers, downloaded from Windows Update on Windows 10, these drivers are not directly from AMD. They are supporting DX 12 and WDDM v2.0. Release date: 14.05.2015, version: 15.200.1023.3
When I was fighting game sometimes freezes, but just for second-two.

People have reported crashing in other instances like fighting a Cockatrice. I personally crashed fighting a bear last night and it wasn't very low on health. I'm still not sure what the exact parameters are that cause the crashing. Let's hope CDPR/AMD can figure things out and issue a fix.

Interesting, I'm level 6 questing in Velen, and I've only encountered three fights / areas that will crash me, and it's 100% guaranteed in those areas. I went through White Orchard, did all the side quests I could find, did the points of interest without a combat crash like we're experiencing. Then I get to Velen and two main storyline quests with combat crash me 100% of the time unless I heavily modify my combat style and use non-melee methods to kill. I go off and do some other questing and everything is fine, I think it's all behind me. Then I pick up a side quest to kill some ghouls that come in waves and I get those same combat crashes.

Yes, hopefully they can come up with a fix.

Hello
It may be offtopic but you are not required to fight the waves with Ciri, you are required to escape, used her special to get away without fighting any of the mobs so the game didnt crashed and i could go past this issue.
Regards
Man.. I love you!! thank you very much!! <3

i`m sorry - my english isnt good enough (
i`ve got crash ever time i`m dong Wandering in the dark (when Defending Keyra from frost spawns. Sometimes driver crashing on 1st sphere, sometimes i can do next one. But it always crashes). as far as i understand it blocks my progress.
4011 error - video driver crash. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - smth like this.
PC, i7 870, 8 Gb Ram, Radeon R9 285 2048Mb, Win 7 x64
i`ve got latest video drivers, Direct X, Net Framework, etc etc.
i`ve tried to do the same thing, using Win 8.1 - and this problem wasnt solved - i`ve got crashes every time.
i never got this problem in other games.

Upd

as far as i understand problem occurs when i kill hounds of the wild hunt.

Upd2

passed in windowed mode, got 1 crash after killing hound with sword. Have to use crossbow now )

The issue seems confirmed with "our" cards, but just want to add to the topic... i5 4690k, 16GB Ram, Sapphire R9 285 Dual-X (Non OC). Random, but pretty much inevitable crashes while in combat. I've tried all possible combinations, including overclocking CPU/GPU, running it stock. Switching between windowed/full screen, from low to high preset. Everything to no avail. :,(

To be honest, the issue is a bit unsettling. Especially, since I've come across another exclusive to 285's problem, in Game of Thrones by Tell Tales. The issue of really thick, black outlines of everything (characters etc.), have been known by both developers and AMD for a long time now, yet still stays unresolved. The only solution was to roll back drivers, to the ones before Omega. Not really a solution If you ask me.

Not really sure how much help we can expect from CDPR, since it only affects one GPU (as far as I know). I'd expect more coming from the AMD... and we all know how often they come up with new drivers.

I'm also facing the same problem with a R9 285. The problem seems to happen only while fighting. It doesn't matter what kind of creature you fight against, sometimes it will get stuck sometimes it won't. One thing I have noticed that helps the issue is 1) to reboot the machine or 2) go fight somebody else or 3) avoid chaining hits. If I go fighting other mobs usually resolves the issue (until it happens again :)).

Guest 3822443

Hey guys, I got some little info just in case. I'm the one nwho made the reddit post that Luigiruben linked to. It took me 3 days to kill the shrieker because of the crashes. Most of the time it would crash after about 12 hits. Sometimes when he was almost dead (that really sucked). As for normal monsters, it crashes but not frequently. I can kill 20 ghouls and the 21st might crash. What I tried was loading my save on my brothers PC, the shrieker fight, because he has a r9 290. I was able to kill him multiple times no crashes, and as soon as I tried that save on my r9 285, instant crash. Same story for the witch hag contract. Perfect on his, multiple crashes on mine.

Same problem :c
Some crash make 10-25 hit on enemy = crash on desktop ,no error. Sound play ,Game crash.
Close game only kill witcher3.exe or forced restart PC
Crash maybe everytime or play 5-10 min and crash.

Fx8320 (up to 4.0Ghz) - Radeon R9 285 (drivers 15.4) - Ram 16Gb
Windows 8,1 x64 - Game install to SSD - All system drivers update
Patch 1.03 download and no changes...

Temperature PC on game no hot.
System use = Core ~30-40% - Video ~50-60% -Ram ~4-6Gb

Video settings High (Nvidia hair off) = 55-60 Fps stable.
Try play High,Medium,Low - crash no fix.
Try change window modes - crash no fix.
Try change video settings mixed - crash no fix.
Try on\off VSync - crash no fix.
Try change FPS Limit 30\60\Unlimited - crash no fix.

Game version GoG & Steam no changes.
40$ for - Crash,Crash,Crash.
Hope soon fixed crash or more i never buy games CDRED.
Sorry bad english. No my language.

I found fix but not sure 100%
Download http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399245
This beta 15.5 not final version.
1.DELETE OLD DRIVER!
2.Restart PC
3.Install new 15.5 driver
4.Restart PC
5.Run AMD Gaming Evolved (install with drivers)
6.Add Witcher 3 and Optimize
7.Close AMD Gaming Evolved
8.Run game ,no touch settings

Now i play and hit many enemy,complite many quest\contacts - no crash. No sure 100%... but help me. hope help you.

i think we should all just spam emails to AMD so they realize they have a problem and so they can try to fix it, maybe also CDPR just to give them a noge

i think we should all just spam emails to AMD so they realize they have a problem and so they can try to fix it, maybe also CDPR just to give them a noge
I contacted AMD about this problem, explained them what's wrong and sent them a link for this thread and told them all the R9 285 users have this specific problem. Do you know how they replied? They only replied to me like:

Check this link http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/The-Witcher3.aspx

For God's sake both AMD and CDPR are driving me crazy.

I contacted AMD about this problem, explained them what's wrong and sent them a link for this thread and told them all the R9 285 users have this specific problem. Do you know how they replied? They only replied to me like:

Check this link http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/The-Witcher3.aspx

For God's sake both AMD and CDPR are driving me crazy.

well then let's spam them till they get their shit together and push out a fix, here is what i sent if anyone wants to send it too:

me and a lot of other people running the R9 285 are have crashes in the Witcher 3 wild hunt, in combat only i.e when attacking a monster, right as the sword hits the monster that game crashes, the game just freeze after a random length of time switches back to desktop but the game is still running in taskbar and you can still hear sounds but you have to kill the process to get rid of it.It is extremely random and but constantly occurring.

the main post on the Witcher forums: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/39294-Combat-Crashes-with-AMD-R9-285

apparently CDPR are also aware : https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/602386210716278784

but when looking at the event log in windows every single time its Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. when it happens catalyst doesn't give the typical "display driver has stopped responding' pop up. witch makes me think it's a problem with the drivers. people have tried overclocking, undercloaking, turning down all the settings, switching to a different version of windows and the only thing that seams to fix it on a system is switching out the graphics card witch helps prove a point.

please try to fix this as soon as possible sense we all want to join the hunt

https://community.amd.com/thread/180209 Im open disscussion , plz who have same proble, write ...spam....write....spam XD

---------- Updated at 11:57 AM ----------

I found fix but not sure 100%
Download http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399245
This beta 15.5 not final version.
1.DELETE OLD DRIVER!
2.Restart PC
3.Install new 15.5 driver
4.Restart PC
5.Run AMD Gaming Evolved (install with drivers)
6.Add Witcher 3 and Optimize
7.Close AMD Gaming Evolved
8.Run game ,no touch settings

Now i play and hit many enemy,complite many quest\contacts - no crash. No sure 100%... but help me. hope help you.

fake beta ,dont instal

Top Bottom