A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Asmodean778 thank you man, some of the parameters you've discovered from the exe file helped me gain some FPS. Please keep up witn that and post more.

P.S: I've seen some people begging for a parameter to get rid of shadows completely in order to gain performance. Do you know if there's a way?

@Asmodean778 thank you man, some of the parameters you've discovered from the exe file helped me gain some FPS. Please keep up witn that and post more.

P.S: I've seen some people begging for a parameter to get rid of shadows completely in order to gain performance. Do you know if there's a way?

Any performance increase sounds great at the moment, Foxtrot! Could you please share with us which of Asmodean's tweaks are you currently using? :p

It was asked that I post the 'hidden' tweaks that I've found so far. I said sure thing, I'll post them, but I'm not going to test all of them right now. It would take quite a long time for me to do alone lol.

So, I mention below(in spoiler) that some have question marks as their values. That means I haven't tested it yet, and dunno wtf the default value is lol.

Enjoy, and post any interesting finding : )

1. Any with a 'true' value are a bool toggle(true or false) I'll usually default them to what I think the best default value is.
  2. Any with a numeric value are usually a scale, distance, or an amount type. I'll usually default them to what I'd consider the "Ultra" default-ish. So for lower, use a lower value.
  3. Any with no value at the end(or ?(type)), are numeric ones I've not tested completely yet, and I have no bases for the default values to use are(i.e. could be 1, could be 1000, dunno)
  4. I left out some stuff that was related to memory, and garbage collection, as it would probably do more harm than good to be randomly changing them.

[Streaming/Sectors/Filter]
AllowRigidBodies=true
AllowDecals=true
AllowLights=true
AllowParticles=true
AllowMeshes=true
AllowCollision=true
AllowDimmers=true

[Rendering]
EnableHighPrecision=true
EnableDeferredLightsStencil=true
EnableLightChannels=true
EnableBuoyancy=true
UseDynamicWaterSimulation=true
AllowApexShadows=true
HiResEntityShadowsForceFullRes=true
PrefetchMeshLodRange=?(float)
FakeMeshesNotReady=false
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false
WaterGeometryQuality=10
DynamicDecalsLimit=100
ForceInstantAdaptation=false
ForceInstantEnvProbeUpdate=false
EnableGlobalLightingTrajectory=true
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=5
MaxCascadeCount=5
CascadeShadowQuality=4
CharacterShadowsFallbackDistance=40
CascadeShadowsDegreesLimit=?
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
TextureTimeBudget=10
HiResEntityCustomShadowmapSize=4096
ForcedRendererResolution="2560x1440"
ForcedRendererOverlayResolution="2560x1440"
ForcedRendererBackBufferResolution="2560x1440"
ForcedRendererResolutionWidth=2560
ForcedRendererResolutionHeight=1440
SoftFramePrefetchTimeout=?
MaxFramePrefetchTimeout=?
DisableManualProxiesCulling=false
EnvProbeLightsMaxDistance=200

[Gameplay]
LeftStickSensitivity=1.1
DeadZone=?(float)

[Camera]
HidePlayerDistMin=?
HidePlayerDistMax=?
HidePlayerSwordsDistMin=?
HidePlayerSwordsDistMax=?

[Physics]
TerrainInfluenceLimitMin
TerrainInfluenceLimitMax
TerrainInfluenceMul
SlidingLimitMin
SlidingLimitMax
SlidingDamping
TerrainAdditionalElevation
TerrainThickness
CollisionPredictionTime
SubmergingSpeed
MimicsQuality

[StickerSystem]
ShowOnMap=true
AutoSynchronization=true
RenderDistance=500

[RedGui]
GlobalAlpha=127
SoftwareCursor=true

[PoiSystem]
PoiShowOnMap=true
PoiAutoSynchronization=true
PoiAutoSyncTyme=5

[ReviewSystem]

ShowOnMap=true
FilterCategory=0
AutoSynchronization=true
DownloadClosedFlag=false

[Gameplay/EntityPool]

SpawnedLimit=150
GlobalLimit=?(float)

[Rendering/Particles]
MaxOffscreenSimTime=?
MaxNoRenderSimTime=?

[Rendering/Dissolve]

DissolveSpeed=?

[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true
ForceCinematicModeOn=true
ForceCinematicModeOff=false
CinematicModeMipBias=0.0
ForceUnstream=false
StreamingEnabled=true
AlwaysStreamMax=true
LockedMipBias=?

[Video/Debug]
DisableAudio=false
DisableLoop=false
ForceSubtitlesTrack=?

[Streaming/Foliage]
StreamingEnabled=true
StreamingStep=?

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
FoliageShadowBillboardDistanceScale
GrassRingSize
CStaticRingSize
StaticPerCSRingSize
DynamicRingSize
DynamicPerCSRingSize
UpdateEnabled=true
BillboardsGlobalBleed=?
SpeedTreeCommonAlphaScalarGrassNear=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonAlphaScalar3d=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonAlphaScalarGrass=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonAlphaScalarGrassDistNear=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonAlphaScalarGrassDistFar=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonAlphaScalarBillboards=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonBillboardsGrainBias=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonBillboardsGrainAlbedoScale=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonBillboardsGrainNormalScale=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonBillboardsGrainClipScale=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonBillboardsGrainClipBias=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonBillboardsGrainClipDamping=?(float)
SpeedTreeCommonGrassNormalsVariation=?(float)
FoliageShadowFadeRangeDissolve=?(float)
FoliageShadowFadeRangeErosion=?(float)

[Budget]
DecalBudget=400
MaxMeshTrianglesCount=4000000
MaxMeshChunksCount=1000
MaxEmittersCount=400
MaxParticlesCount=30000
MaxParticleMeshChunksCount=200
MaxParticleTriangleCount=6000
VisibleObjectsBudget=1500

[Streaming/Sector]

RenderingOffsetEx=?(float)
CollisionPrefetchRadius?(float)

[Rendering/Hacks]

DisableMergedChunks=true
DisableAdditionalAlphaShadowMeshParts=true

[Rendering/Shadows]
MeshDistanceCutoffNear=40
MeshDistanceCutoffFar=100
ApexLargeObjectThreshold=?(float)

[Rendering/MeshLoading]
ForceSyncMeshLoading=true
AutoRefreshTime=?(float)
LoadingDelay=?(float)

[LevelOfDetail]
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
MeshLodGameplayDownscale=0

[TextureStreaming]
MaxResidentMipMap=6

[Rendering/Debug]
DebugGlobalVisID=true

[Streaming/World]
PreloadWorldData=true

[Streaming/Terrain]
StreamingEnabled=true
AsyncLoadMipSizeTreshold=?

[Streaming/Components]
DecalMinimumStreamingDistance=80
DimmerMinimumStreamingDistance=80

[Streaming/Entity]
StreamingEnabled=true
ForceUnstream=false
PrecacheDistance=?(float)
GridLevels=?
GridBuckets=?
MinStreamingDistance=?(float)
MaxStreamingDistance=?(float)
MaxStreamingBudget=?(int)

[ShowFlags/Debug/Streaming]
StreamingCollisionBoxes=?

edit: bolded the sections for easier reading. I guess.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that performance tanks when there's an abundance of fog on the screen? The part with the mask and the part with ciri in the sauna dropped me from a rock solid 60fps to around 40fps. Running gtx 970 and i7 4770 with 16gb of ram. Using certain signs in combat also drop the fps by about 5-6 as well. If CDPR could get this ironed out, it would be great.

It seems that only people with steam version of the game can resolve the problem of 27 fps in cinematics editing the ini files.

Why they don't give us an answer?
20 pages of thread and no answers except ridiculous "cinematics" reasons...

Last edited:
It was asked that I post the 'hidden' tweaks that I've found so far. I said sure thing, I'll post them, but I'm not going to test all of them right now. It would take quite a long time for me to do alone lol. Enjoy, and post any interesting finding : )

Wow, thanks a million for listing the tweaks, Asmodean! I know for sure I'm going to test a few as soon as I find the time! :D

What if I set pre-rendered frames to "4" instead of "1"? It should be better for those who have very low fps I think.

That usually helps to smooth out gameplay at lower framerates, but at the same time it might just introduce annoying levels of input lag, so it is ultimately up to you to determine the best setting in your particular case! ;)

Setting "Threaded optimization" to on isn't necessary since it's an OpenGL-Option through NVAPI.

Thank you very much for the observation, that is indeed true. I decided to put it into the OP because people were reporting a performance increase, but it must have been placebo all along. I will remove it from the OP shortly! ;)

@Verrenus Why was the performance fix removed for cut scenes?

I decided to remove it from the OP because it did not have any effect for me and a few others. Did you find a way to make it work? :D

Anyone notice that performance tanks when there's an abundance of fog on the screen?
The part with the mask and the part with ciri in the sauna
dropped me from a rock solid 60fps to around 40fps. Running gtx 970 and i7 4770 with 16gb of ram. Using certain signs in combat also drop the fps by about 5-6 as well. If CDPR could get this ironed out, it would be great.

Thank you very much for your post, but please use spoiler tags in the future, as this is meant to be a spoiler-free thread! ;)

I am sure CD Projekt RED will continue to iron out the game's performance in the near future. I am actually pleasantly surprised at the number of patches we saw only one week after launch! :p

It seems that only people with steam version of the game can resolve the problem of 27 fps in cinematics editing the ini files.

Why they don't give us an answer?
20 pages of thread and no answers except ridiculous "cinematics" reasons...

The people playing on Steam can edit their visuals.ini and get 60 FPS in cutscenes? Wow, I honestly didn't know that! Why does it only work for them and not for everyone else, then? :hope:

Last edited:
@Verrenus - yes I think I have managed to get it working. I am sure (correct me if I am wrong) that the original guide advised to add it to user.settings and this is where my settings where but I saw another post which stated to edit the visuals.ini folder and it does feel a bit smoother. My visuals.ini was set at 30FPS and ubersampling=true. I think the textures may not look quote as crisp on some of the clothing but still looks excellent IMO.

Of course it could all be just in my head..lol

@Verrenus - yes I think I have managed to get it working. I am sure (correct me if I am wrong) that the original guide advised to add it to user.settings and this is where my settings where but I saw another post which stated to edit the visuals.ini folder and it does feel a bit smoother. My visuals.ini was set at 30FPS and ubersampling=true. I think the textures may not look quote as crisp on some of the clothing but still looks excellent IMO.

Of course it could all be just in my head..lol

Thank you very much for the explanation, Lenkorn, but I'm afraid that setting MovieFramerate to either "60.0" or "60" in both "visuals.ini" as well as "user.settings" has no effect whatsoever. The same goes for MovieUbersampling - true/false. Pre-rendered videos continue to play at a stuttery 26-27 FPS, which is incredibly jarring when having (nearly) 60 FPS everywhere else. :(

I don't know if it has already mentioned, on ultra settings I gain about 3 - 5 fps in fullscreen vs windowded borderless. It can help for a few extra fps.

---------- Updated at 11:29 PM ----------

I've also a new entry on top of the user.settings file since patch 1.04 :

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150

I absolutely don't know what is it.

Last edited:
I don't know if it has already mentioned, on ultra settings I gain about 3 - 5 fps in fullscreen vs windowded borderless. It can help for a few extra fps.

---------- Updated at 11:29 PM ----------

I've also a new entry on top of the user.settings file since patch 1.04 :

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150

I absolutely don't know what is it.

I wonder if that value somehow factors into NPCs popping only after you're right in fron of them at about 6 feet (2 m).

Is there any way to remove completely the on-screen decals such as water splashes?
They are terrible when sailing, covering half of the screen even if the sea is not storming and the weather is fine.

I wonder if that value somehow factors into NPCs popping only after you're right in fron of them at about 6 feet (2 m).

That setting governs how many background characters are rendered, as i understand it.

Question: have anyone found a way to adjust the 'Lightshaft' strenght ?
While i very much like this, it is a volumetric lighting of sorts, and as such, there should be a way to adjust it's strenght somewhere. As it is now, i find it to be somewhat overtuned and would like to lower its impact a bit.

Also, the annoying delay inmovement from standstill to actual movespeed...is there a way to disable that ?...more often than not, when trying to interact with an object, i find myself suddenly moving past it because of this lol.

Great Thread this btw :animier:

now we just wait for a 4096x4096 texture mod so 'Ultra' comes into play hehe

edit: Btw, if people use the 'Mipbias' to enhance/sharpen textures AND use SweetFX/injectorX... If you also have 'Lumasharpen set to ON in that, you might want to adjust/turn off that effect (more to those that DL presets, and, as such, may not be aware what stuff does in there)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the explanation, Lenkorn, but I'm afraid that setting MovieFramerate to either "60.0" or "60" in both "visuals.ini" as well as "user.settings" has no effect whatsoever. The same goes for MovieUbersampling - true/false. Pre-rendered videos continue to play at a stuttery 26-27 FPS, which is incredibly jarring when having (nearly) 60 FPS everywhere else. :(

I'll double check tonight but pretty sure I am getting a consistent 30FPS on my cut scenes. My rig cant really play the game above 30FPS as it is.

That setting governs how many background characters are rendered, as i understand it.

Question: have anyone found a way to adjust the 'Lightshaft' strenght ?
While i very much like this, it is a volumetric lighting of sorts, and as such, there should be a way to adjust it's strenght somewhere. As it is now, i find it to be somewhat overtuned and would like to lower its impact a bit.

Also, the annoying delay inmovement from standstill to actual movespeed...is there a way to disable that ?...more often than not, when trying to interact with an object, i find myself suddenly moving past it because of this lol.

Great Thread this btw :animier:

now we just wait for a 4096x4096 texture mod so 'Ultra' comes into play hehe

edit: Btw, if people use the 'Mipbias' to enhance/sharpen textures AND use SweetFX/injectorX... If you also have 'Lumasharpen set to ON in that, you might want to adjust/turn off that effect (more to those that DL presets, and, as such, may not be aware what stuff does in there)

Thank you very much for the support, Halfmead! I'm really glad to hear you're finding the thread useful! :D

As soon as someone finds a means of tweaking the lightshafts, I will post it in the OP. I also feel like the same movement delay was also present in Witcher 2 and it annoyed me then as much as it does now! How CD Projekt RED thought it's a good idea is beyond me...

Indeed, with the new MipBias tweaks the game can become way too sharp if you're also using SweetFX. K-putt, for instance, recently updated his preset to account for this. I would recommend either dialing down Lumasharpen in your SweetFX_settings file, or turning sharpening completely off via the in-game options menu! ;)

Last edited:
I'll double check tonight but pretty sure I am getting a consistent 30FPS on my cut scenes. My rig cant really play the game above 30FPS as it is.

I have ~55-59fps in cutscenes with:

//bin/config/base:
[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=60.0
MovieUbersampling=false

and in /documents/user:
MovieFramerate=60

So maybe the low framerate could be due to Rig hardware. me not hitting 60 fps on a 2500K@4.5Ghz and GTX980 says something about demand i think lol.

In-game sharpening on 'LOW' works nice with MipBias at -2.0 (not really sure if -1 is max or -2 really sharpens more)

Last edited:
I have ~55-59fps in cutscenes with:

//bin/config/base:
[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=60.0
MovieUbersampling=false

and in /documents/user:
MovieFramerate=60

So maybe the low framerate could be due to Rig hardware. me not hitting 60 fps on a 2500K@4.5Ghz and GTX980 says something about demand i think lol.

In-game sharpening on 'LOW' works nice with MipBias at -2.0 (not really sure if -1 is max or -2 really sharpens more)

GOG or steam version of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom