Why so much hate for Nilfgaard?

+
Why so much hate for Nilfgaard?

Now,before I start, I'm just going to mention that this is my first ever Witcher game whilst I have also never read any of the books.

The thing I'm curious about is why does the game automatically portray Nilfgaard as an evil empire? From what I've read, Nilfgaardians are more educated, accepting, cultured and free-thinking than Northerners. I mean, just look at what happened in Novigrad towards the end. IMO IRL I would much rather live in and fight for Nilfgaard than the North. So, could somebody please explain this to me?

Because they still invade, still kill, still rape, still loot, etc., etc., all the while blabbing about how they are better and superior.

Conquering, subjugating, and dominating independent states just to expand your borders and increase your own power are usually bad things.

By that logic, should Eastern European countries have praised Germans as they rolled through them during WW2?

Now,before I start, I'm just going to mention that this is my first ever Witcher game whilst I have also never read any of the books.

The thing I'm curious about is why does the game automatically portray Nilfgaard as an evil empire? From what I've read, Nilfgaardians are more educated, accepting, cultured and free-thinking than Northerners. I mean, just look at what happened in Novigrad towards the end. IMO IRL I would much rather live in and fight for Nilfgaard than the North. So, could somebody please explain this to me?

Nilfgaard seems to be shaped after Bismarck's Germany. Throughout the game there are references to things like order above all, ridiculous taxation, and a total disregard of the local culture. The situatiion in the game is sculptured based on the division of Poland in the late 18th century

Nilfgaard - Germany
Redania -Russia
Temeria - Poland

If you go with this interpretation the hatred for Nilfgaard is based on the cultural war Nilfgaard wages. Nilfgaards's rule is actually not bad for citizens willing to abandon their roots. If you explore you will see and experience this in a really fascinating way.

Again, this is only my interpretation of the inspiration behind the conflict. I might be waaay off base, this is not based on official info.

Last edited:
the story/characters is told from the north so its natural, they aren't any more evil or worse than the northern people

Nilfgaards's rule is actually not bad for citizens willing to abandon their root. If you explore you will see and experienced this in a really fascinating way.

Isn't life for a Nilfgaardian actually bad depending on where they were born? Those born near the capital are considered pure and those in conquered territory are considered impure or something? There was some segregation and a difference in living conditions, although not as bad non humans in the North. I remember reading that in a book in the game.

Isn't life for a Nilfgaardian actually bad depending on where they were born? Those born near the capital are considered pure and those in conquered territory are considered impure or something? There was some segregation and a difference in living conditions, although not as bad non humans in the North. I remember reading that in a book in the game.

Like I said, this is only my interpretation, there are elements of the Nazi History in the background info for Nilfgaard. At the very beginning you learn that Nilfgaard beasically used Blitzkrieg and then the Winter stopped their advance which is an exact parallel to Hitler's army winning pretty much everything until the Russian Winter stopped them in their tracks.

The reason why I say Nilfgaard is more like Bismarck's Germany occupying Poland is that Nilfgaardians are actually planning to let Temerians have a normal life, as long as they abide by the Nilfgaardian order and forget about their stupid culture. This is exactly how the occupied Poland was run in the 19th century.

Also, another indication of the time period that inspired the conflict might be the references to Polish literature. Mickiewicz's "Dziady" poem is used during a certain Temerian ritual in a side quest. Adam Mickiewicz, kinda the Polish Hemingway, was a poet who spent all his life being involved in the various 19th century conflicts under the German/ Russian/Austrian occupation of Poland.

Again, this is just my interpretation

Last edited:
By that logic, should Eastern European countries have praised Germans as they rolled through them during WW2?

Some did...

Northern kingdoms were murdering each other just fine before, so Nilfgaard is no worse in that regard and may bring a long lasting peace. But, also it seems that Nilfgaard is opressive, totalitarian society and is opposed on that basis by population of northern kingdoms.

Nilfgaard seems to be shaped after Bismarck's Germany.

Because Bismarck's Germany went on one war after the other conquering everything? Oh wait, it didn't.

If at all it would be a "medieval" form of Nazi Germany, but even that is a far stretch, since the Nilfgaard Empire is actually civilized and doesn't mindlessly oppress the subdued realms.

I actually don't think there is a real European equivalent to Nilfgaard, since there was no nation during medieval times that really conquered a lot while building a modern empire. The only one, that conquered that much during the medieval are were the Mongols and maybe the Ottomans, but both don't fit Nilfgaard at all.

If anything it is more like a medieval Roman Empire.

For some reason I always figured that Nilfgaard was based on Spain and the story of The Witcher 3 being based on the Spanish Armada and their war with England.

It makes sense in some ways. First of the most obvious: Spain is in the south and was invading northen Europe, Nilfgaard is also in the south invading the Northen Kingdoms.

Meanwhile England was gaining control over northern-Europe in the same fashion Redenia gained control over the Northen Kingdoms.

Spain and England clashed over The Netherlands, Amsterdam was still a free city where most of the trade happened and England was making sure Spain would get no hold over Amsterdam. I see some parallels with Novigrad here. Both Amsterdam and Novigrad are trading hubs with a big harbor.

The style and fashion of the Nilfgaardian nobles also remind me a lot of what the Spanish lords looked like around the 16th century.

And unless I'm mistaken, I feel that the Nilfgaardians have mostly south-European accents. Some Nilfgaardians sounds French while others have more of a Spanish accent.

There are obviously some differences between Spain and Nilfgaard, but I do feel there are similarities as well.

I actually don't think there is a real European equivalent to Nilfgaard, since there was no nation during medieval times that really conquered a lot while building a modern empire. The only one, that conquered that much during the medieval are were the Mongols and maybe the Ottomans, but both don't fit Nilfgaard at all.

There actually were plenty of nation in medieval Europe that conquered a lot. Spain and after that the Austrians and after that the French.

Im all for Nilfgaard,

As Letho said in Witcher 2, the North resembles a "whorehouse on fire" . Also quoting him , "The Northen Kings come up to where Emhyrs poleins end" . That all proved to be true, and the only contact with Emyrh i´ve had so far proved it, what a fuckin presence that man has.

Also, which language are the Nilfgaardians speaking? Latin?

Look at your name, take away one n and you got the answer. Might be some fantasy language or a norweign or northern language dialect. It's not a roman language though, latin sounds completely different (I had the pleasure of learning it for 5 years).

Because Bismarck's Germany went on one war after the other conquering everything? Oh wait, it didn't.

If at all it would be a "medieval" form of Nazi Germany, but even that is a far stretch, since the Nilfgaard Empire is actually civilized and doesn't mindlessly oppress the subdued realms.

Like I said, it's just how I interpret it with my knowledge of the Polish history. It doesn't have to be even remotely close to the real inspiration. However, it seems too big a coincidence that in a game written by Polish writers the land of Temeria is in almost the same exact situation Poland was for 123 years when the country was divided between Russia, Prussia and Austria-Hungary Of course, the usurpers in the game have a lot of different traits mixed in but if you ask me what the closest historical inspiration for Nilfgaard is I have no doubt that it's the Prussian Empire.

Your argument is a bit like saying the orcs in LOTR cannot be inspired by Nazi Germany because Hitler never wore any rings.

Last edited:
I've researched it and apparently it's called the "elder language". It's some sort of Norwegian, Dutch,German fusion as it has words/phrases from all of the mentioned languages. Just found that out though after I found it on the web.

Also, learning Latin seems like great fun. I was only given the choice of English and French. Took English.....

Top Bottom