Two-timing Triss and Yen is the right thing to do

+
Two-timing Triss and Yen is the right thing to do

From a lore/story point of view and for the best ending (latter point is IMO, ofc).

Geralt is meant to, no encouraged in TW1 and 2 and books to go around fucking every woman he can. It's just in his nature, it's who he is. He was never one to abstain from all but one woman.

Secondly If he makes a choice between triss or yen, he lives happily ever after with them... and dies in a bed probably. The first witcher to die in a bed. Not a good way to go, and it's Geralt of Rivia, the greatest witcher of all time. The ending where continues on the path of the Witcher and every now and again meets up with dandelion and other friends makes much more sense, as he never retires from his work because he's a witcher. Also, he is meant to set an example for Ciri (she becomes a witcher in my ending I just did).

Also, they're both annoying. Yennefer is mean and cold and an old wrinkly woman that just looks pretty cos of her magic, Triss is just.. annoying.

What do you guys think?

I really liked yen. I like her accent and everything, Triss less so but she was alright. I wish there would have been more of them in the game honestly it's sad

as he never retires from his work because he's a witcher.

Actually if you have read the books you would know that Geralt actually doesn't like being a witcher, and he retires from it. So, I actually think Geralt would like to die in bed, while living together with the woman he loves.

Geralt is something like 100 years old during W3 (witchers live a long time due to their mutations), so any complaints about the age of Yen and Triss apply to Geralt too. Anyway, while Geralt definitely sleeps around, I think the issue isn't the sex, it's the falling in love. Yennefer has other affairs, and Triss probably does too. Also the fact that Triss and Yen are good friends, both of whom have strong relationships with Ciri, is a problem.

In the books Geralt pretty much pines for Yen like a lost puppy, so from a lore point I think he'd drop Triss faster than you could blink if it became a big deal. Who was it that made a wish that he and Yen would always be connected?

Not so sure it's witcher's work per se, but that he doesn't have a choice in the matter. Feels like he doesn't have free will.

It didn't seem like he had a problem quitting in the books. He clearly stated in Lady of the Lake that he was retiring.

Oh I'm not contesting him retiring from witcher-ing, just that witcher's work isn't the root for why he dislikes it.

Oh I'm not contesting him retiring from witcher-ing, just that witcher's work isn't the root for why he dislikes it.

Despite the fact that he's spat upon by people and it's quite a miserable life, you are correct. It is mostly other things, philosophical things, that makes him want to quit.

From a lore/story point of view and for the best ending (latter point is IMO, ofc).

Geralt is meant to, no encouraged in TW1 and 2 and books to go around fucking every woman he can. It's just in his nature, it's who he is. He was never one to abstain from all but one woman.

Secondly If he makes a choice between triss or yen, he lives happily ever after with them... and dies in a bed probably. The first witcher to die in a bed. Not a good way to go, and it's Geralt of Rivia, the greatest witcher of all time. The ending where continues on the path of the Witcher and every now and again meets up with dandelion and other friends makes much more sense, as he never retires from his work because he's a witcher. Also, he is meant to set an example for Ciri (she becomes a witcher in my ending I just did).

Also, they're both annoying. Yennefer is mean and cold and an old wrinkly woman that just looks pretty cos of her magic, Triss is just.. annoying.

What do you guys think?

Isn't any sorceress of significant power an "old wrinkly woman that just looks pretty cos of her magic?" I mean, it probably takes considerable time to become skilled enough to be a major player like Yennefer or Phillipa, right?

Anyway, in my ending I have Geralt settle down with Yennefer. I know, predictable and boring.

What do you guys think?

Chuckles. I guess, thanks for making me laugh.

Where did you get the notion Geralt is expected to plough every woman he encounters? It's in his nature, you say? I read all the books, played all the games, even spoke with master Andrzej Sapkowski a few times, and I never came to this conclusion... I must've missed something important then! Care to elaborate?

Chuckles. I guess, thanks for making me laugh.

Where did you get the notion Geralt is expected to plough every woman he encounters? It's in his nature, you say? I read all the books, played all the games, even spoke with master Andrzej Sapkowski a few times, and I never came to this conclusion... I must've missed something important then! Care to elaborate?

I would not say expected but it certainly seems in character for Geralt. From speaking with people who read the books I get the impression he did a lot of sleeping around in the books too so it certainly isn't out of character for him to trend towards the two timing ending to the romances (not that what happens in the books has any real meaning to the games but still, it does show there is no inconsistencies with his character in the game).

As for it being the right way to end the romances, I can't see that being the conclusion CDPR wanted. I imagine they wanted Yen's romance. It makes the most sense as far as the story in TW3 game is concerned.

I would not say expected but it certainly seems in character for Geralt. From speaking with people who read the books I get the impression he did a lot of sleeping around in the books too so it certainly isn't out of character for him to trend towards the two timing ending to the romances (not that what happens in the books has any real meaning to the games but still, it does show there is no inconsistencies with his character in the game).

In the main saga, he sleeps only with two women besides Yen. Those two are Shani and Fringilla, and they weren't together at the time, and Fringilla was kind of seducing him and using him for the Lodge. In the short stories he did cheat a couple of times while being with Yen. But, it is always very clear that he loves Yen despite being with other women, and that is ultimately why he breaks off with them.

In the main saga, he sleeps only with two women besides Yen. Those two are Shani and Fringilla, and they weren't together at the time, and Fringilla was kind of seducing him and using him for the Lodge. In the short stories he did cheat a couple of times while being with Yen. But, it is always very clear that he loves Yen despite being with other women, and that is ultimately why he breaks off with them.

And this is why book readers have no issue with the way the romances are in the game. I can see that. It makes sense.

I still think due to Triss's importance in the first 2 games they should have made the love triangle in the third game a bit more involved for all concerned.

EDIT: As a side note, from what you said here it seems they took Fringilla's story and turned it into Triss's story. Very similar at any rate.

i think Geralt wants exactly that. dying in a bed with yen. he even says that several times during the game. so for him probs the best is the ending with yen and settling down.

also in the books and in the game aswell( you can read on the character tab of yen) that they've already tried to settle down together and they lived for several years, but then the wild hunt attacked them.

geralt wouldn't even care about triss if he didn't lost his memory. when he recovered it his only goal is to find Yen. the game starts soomewhere here.

Last edited:
i think Geralt wants exactly that. dying in a bed with yen. he even says that several times during the game. so for him probs the best is the ending with yen and settling down.

i romanced Yen but it was mainly out of the desire to see game content rather than any connection to Yen since I never read the books. I wanted to get to know Yen and I really have no desire to read the books. So I romanced Yen. That said, I agree, her romance fits the story best and I certainly would rather see Geralt live happily ever after with Yen or Triss instead of ending up alone.

Top Bottom