The Witcher 3: A Disappointing Game Suffering from too many Problems.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Witcher 3: A Disappointing Game Suffering from too many Problems.

I have 100% the 2nd game btw (yes including Madman achievement) and played a lot of the first, but fail to see how they have improved particularly in the combat aspect.

The game has too many problems to make it enjoyable. Off the top of my head:

1) Broken Quests.

2) Annoyinh Flying enemies mechanics (i.e. camera in combat cannot look up in the sky)

3) Bad implementation of horse travel in a game

4) Combat stance as soon as enemies are there. This is the worse.

5) Clumsy layout and combat in general. Try using hot-keys (numbers on the keyboard) while you have your thumb on ALT to dodge, and spacebar to roll, and your hand is cramped on WASD. The whole combat is awfully designed.

6) Awful quest design. Too many fetch quests, missing markers, little uniquness in level design and generally awful "flavour and tone" for an RPG. Sidequests give little incentive to do them, too little XP.

Enemy design is particularly bad and the combat stance is awful in this. Get rid of it!

Everytime an enemy is there my character sticks to the floor! I want to be able to move freely, to fight like in a normal rpg. I play a lot of Miyazaki games (bloodborne, dark souls etc) and this combat seriously gives me a headache.

There is much more, but generally I am disappointed with this instalment of the series.

Generally if you play Dark Souls and the like you're probably not going to like TW games IMO, much less TW3.

Generally if you play Dark Souls and the like you're probably not going to like TW games IMO, much less TW3.

Dark souls games have many MANY issues, but, they are not as annoying as TW3. Because AT LEAST in the dark souls games the whole gameplay part work very well ( in his own gameplay style )
The whole fight part dont look / feel as wrong as in TW3....

And as much as i was dying to play that game since nearly the annoncement, i barely played 10hours ( count at least 5hours of test with various setting to make that "game" work correctly ) since the release because the game feel too wrong for the whole gameplay / terrible optimization ( but i have nothing to reproach about all quest staging / writting and stuff. )

But at this point... better read a book / watch a movie than play...

Last edited:
Strength of W3 is storytelling, writing, voice acting and cutscenes. If you are one to fly thru NPC interaction and skip past the cutscenes you won't enjoy W3...and that's okay, this type of genre is not for everyone.

What do you mean by "broken quests", "bad implementation of horse travel" and "clumsy layout and combat"? That's plenty of claims for little justification in my opinion, I'm interested to know, because I didn't had any problems with quests, horse travel or combat/layout.

1) Broken Quests.

I never had any issues with quests.

2) Annoyinh Flying enemies mechanics (i.e. camera in combat cannot look up in the sky)

Aard, Axii, Igni, & crossbow bring what's in the sky down. You have lots of options against flying enemies.

3) Bad implementation of horse travel in a game

In what way is it bad? You get on a road and hold the gallop button and Roach does the rest. You might occasionally have to redirect Roach if a path splits other than that i've had no issues.

4) Combat stance as soon as enemies are there. This is the worse.

So you don't want to go into combat stance when enemies are near you? Have fun reloading checkpoints.

) Clumsy layout and combat in general. Try using hot-keys (numbers on the keyboard) while you have your thumb on ALT to dodge, and spacebar to roll, and your hand is cramped on WASD. The whole combat is awfully designed.

The layout is pretty much the same as other Witcher games so I don't know what to tell you.

6) Awful quest design. Too many fetch quests, missing markers, little uniquness in level design and generally awful "flavour and tone" for an RPG. Sidequests give little incentive to do them, too little XP.

Awful quest design? Not at all. Too many fetch quests? Nope. Missing markers? That's why you discover them. Little uniquness in level design? Did you even play the game? Awful flavor and tone? Not even sure what that means...

Enemy design is particularly bad and the combat stance is awful in this. Get rid of it!

*Enemy design is fucking awesome, corrected it for you. Again with the no combat stance....So I guess Geralt never passed the Trials and is just some bandit when it comes to combat?

Everytime an enemy is there my character sticks to the floor! I want to be able to move freely, to fight like in a normal rpg. I play a lot of Miyazaki games (bloodborne, dark souls etc) and this combat seriously gives me a headache.

Fight like a normal rpg? This is the Witcher damn it! Not Bloodborne, and not Dark Souls! You want combat like that? Go play them.

Last edited:
I have to agree on combat parts. While I see W3 as a great game, with lot of thought put into it, I just can't see combat and movement as something good. It's either to restrictive or to flamboyant. I would even have to say it's one of the worst I've seen, for a combat oriented game.

Yes, surprise, it's not a perfect game.
More insight would be appreciated. Saying that things are "broken", "awful", "bad", "worse" doesn't give a clue and doesn't help to start a civil and constructive conversation.
Souls game and TW have nothing in common for me. I enjoyed both for very different reasons.
I thought combat was improved, compared to TW2 and TW1 and even FCRs. It's not perfect, but it provides some variety at least compared to 1 and 2, and a 100 hours+ game needs it. Souls game are focused on gameplay (4/5 of the game is combat); in TW3 combat is not as important (1/5).
And I don't do quests for XP and loot or "rewards". This is not Diablo.

Last edited:
I never had any issues with quests.

Aard, Axii, Igni, & crossbow bring what's in the sky down. You have lots of options against flying enemies.

In what way is it bad? You get on a road and hold the gallop button and Roach does the rest. You might occasionally have to redirect Roach if a path splits other than that i've had no issues.

So you don't want to go into combat stance when enemies are near you? Have fun reloading checkpoints.

The layout is pretty much the same as other Witcher games so I don't know what to tell you.

Awful quest design? Not at all. Too many fetch quests? Nope. Missing markers? That's why you discover them. Little uniquness in level design? Did you even play the game? Awful flavor and tone? Not even sure what that means...

*Enemy design is fucking awesome, corrected it for you. Again with the no combat stance....So I guess Geralt never passed the Trials and is just some bandit when it comes to combat?

Fight like a normal rpg? This is the Witcher damn it! Not Bloodborne, and not Dark Souls! You want combat like that? Go play them.

Agree in all except that i do think entering combat mode should be manually activated by unsheathing the sword.

I played over 100 hours of the previous two games. This is definitely worse, not an improvement in terms of mechanics. It feels overall more sluggish, less fluid. Even picking up loot is incredibly annoying with the object placement and interactivity.

Also, rewards are pivotal in an RPG where quest lines are concerned. Believe it or not, this is a video game not a movie; people don't do quests just because they like to hear a character's voice or see a particular cut-scenes. RPGs are built on loot, XP, that awesome armor you might get or a particularly good weapon. And I don't mean "50 XP Received!" at level 20.

It doesn't do people justice debating my points and ending with "Go play your other games!." It is obvious what the intent was. And my points are perfectly valid, not only made by myself but all over the web. The game has a lot of problems and I am a fan of the Witcher. The only aspect which they paid attention to in detail is graphics and the world.

Think about it, not even the world is as open as any other sandbox game. In a Bethesda game for instance, you can take on any enemy at any time you want. Any quest whenever you feel like it.

There are no "Red Skulls" there is no quest level limit.

Horses can descend mountains very slowly, they don't just stop for no reason. Horses can traverse water, not just stop. Turning with a horse is an ordeal, and descending is almost comical as your are caught sitting down in mid air.

Flying enemies. When you have 4 sirens circling you, and one pecks at you without you being able to cast Igni or Aard because you cant move your camera up to see it diving, that's when you want to punch your screen.

Seriously, I appreciate the good points but there are very few and it is obvious you try and stand your ground because of your blind love for the game.

5) Clumsy layout and combat in general. Try using hot-keys (numbers on the keyboard) while you have your thumb on ALT to dodge, and spacebar to roll, and your hand is cramped on WASD. The whole combat is awfully designed.

How about you know REBIND THE KEYS THEN?, i have strong attack on mouse4 and dodge on mouse5

Not sure what you are complaning about here really when you have the option to rebind.

Combat in TW3 is straight improvement from TW2,albeit both have pretty similar feel. There are 2 things I wish CDPR would consider implementing in combat and that are ability to jump while in combat and let players decide when to enter/exit combat by drawing/sheathing swords.

Last edited:
Also, rewards are pivotal in an RPG where quest lines are concerned. Believe it or not, this is a video game not a movie; people don't do quests just because they like to hear a character's voice or see a particular cut-scenes. RPGs are built on loot, XP, that awesome armor you might get or a particularly good weapon. And I don't mean "50 XP Received!" at level 20.

Speak for yourself, dude. I certainly like cool loot and leveling up, but my #1 incentive to do anything in something as heavily story-focused as the Witcher games is actually characters, dialogue and story. If the story is garbage, no amount of cool loot is going to make me find a quest enjoyable.

I have to disagree with most of your points except combat. as a guy who completed NG+ in DS 1 dying only once (using a heavy-medium armor build) DS combat feels more 'refined' . In a way TW3 combat feel like a basic version of DS1 .

I have to agree that is is good and suitable for the environment , but could have been more polished ( with camera angles , responsiveness and stuff)

Want a dissapointing game? play AC unity , i used that game more as a graphics/framerate sim , more than the lvls my eyes were on the framerate

Fetch quests? broken quests? ????????

the horse control is a bit clunky esp. in horse back combat where turning is tedious

The only thing which i feel are repetitive are the npcs faces and the bandit camps ( which actually is correct with the lore and setting of the game)

Define a normal RPG. there are very few action RPGs and honestly even with all the hidden stories and lore , DS is more Action than RPG

And bethesda games? seriously? bad combat and bad story in exchange for the sandbox experience.

Also , no one is stopping you from taking a lvl 33 quest at lvl 10. from what i have seen , on death march it is possible to take on lvl 13 enemies at lvl 3

And i think regardless of the lvl you need 1000xp for the next, so 20/50 xp is actually decent

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't give a fuck about loot and XP. If I want loot and XP, I'd play Diablo. I won't ignore a quest because it wouldn't give me a new sword or XP.
Quests are not "voices, cutscenes, XP and loots" as if story bits were excuses to get XP and loots.

I can agree that The Witcher 3 is a dissapointing game ( at least for me ) , but not because of the reasons you listed . I agree that combat that combat is very bad , I think The Witcher 3 has the worst combat out of the series , but not only combat dissapoints me , it's also story , game balance and lack of connection with previous games .

I think I need to elaborate my words about story . I don't think it is bad , but it's not a story for me , I don't like Ciri being a center of the plot , I've never liked idea of multiple worlds and I think idea of saving the world doesn't fit witcher universe . I liked the story about dealing with bandits that have big influence , I can understand Geralt playing big politics , but saving the world from apocalypse is too heroic I think . Also Geralt allies managed to piss me off more than enemies , Yennefer and Philippa , I was really dissapointed by the lack of option to kill Philippa or at least allow Radovid to do that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom