FPS Drop from 60 to 30 after 10-15 minutes

+
FPS Drop from 60 to 30 after 10-15 minutes

Hi everyone.

I'm running the game at 1440p, almost all max settings with foliage at High, and I can get a constant 50-65 fps when I start the game. However 10-15 minutes into the game, it'll suddenly drop to 30-40 fps, and stays there. This happens every time, and I'd have to either restart the system, or sign out and sign in Windows again.

My system specification is as follows:

Intel i7 4770K at 4.4GHz
G.Skill 2133Mhz 8GBx2
Gigabyte GTX970 SLI
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Where my OS is installed)
Samsung 840 EVO 256GB (Where GOG and Witcher 3 is installed)
Super flower Leadex 850W PSU
Windows 8.1

My CPU temps maxed out at below 65 degree celsius, and my GPU at 80 and 65 respectively.

Steps I've taken to troubleshoot includes:
1. Removing and reinstalling graphics driver
2. Virus Scan
3. Cancelling GPU Overclock
4. Clear out dust in my case, and resit the graphic cards

Please do help me in solving this, it's pretty unplayable right now! Thanks in advance!

its stated on nvidia forum latest drive has issue on witcher 3, they are fixing it soon, im on older driver , for sli u need more optimize sli drivers try ask around in nvidia forum which version works better for sli on this game

Sound like one or both of your graphics cards overheated and dropped to the 50% clock failsafe mode.

If you use afterburner or eva precision etc it comes with an excellent screen overlay which will confirm it straight away.

Thanks for the replies, alright, for now i'll try looking for SLI profile tweaks, and monitoring the GPU usage. Keep the suggestions coming!

---------- Updated at 12:00 PM ----------

So, I did some tests, and when I was getting the 30fps, the only major difference seems to be the GPU Power, which has dropped from 75% to 62%, and from 70% to 55%. The temps are only 5 degree Celsius apart, peaking at 75 degree, which i think should not be an issue? CPU temps are also around 55 degree.Any explanations or solutions?

I have a single Gtx 980 and got exactly same problem. The difference is when fps drops, it shows gpu usage %99 first 15-20 mins it works with smooth 60fps... There wasn't a any issue like this before 1.03 patch...

I have tried changing the Power mode to Maximum Performance, and the same thing happened, so I went to play some NBA 2K15 instead, and I see the same issue. Could it be the driver is not working well? I'll try rolling back the drivers later, but which should I roll back to? 350?

I have exactly the same problem but on Gigabyte R9 280X Rev. 2.0. Posted several posts on Reddit and here, waiting for feedback but nothing so far. It seems that this problem is overlooked by everyone... Really sad. Have tried changing drivers, checked temps, usage, everything, no changes, just flat drop. If i decrease graphics till minimum, and the fps stays around 70-80 fps then i can barely play after the drop with 40-50, if i stay at normal stats, i start with 48-60 fps and then it drops to 28-35 fps...

i guess we are the minority, but yea, it's not playable until this issue is solved. I've tried rolling back the drivers, but since there's no SLI support, i start at 30fps, haha. So I guess my only option is to wait for another patch, either from nVidia or CDPR.

Hello, have anyone found any way to solve this? i have stopped playing for a week now :(

have installed the latest drivers, but to no avail, does disabling hyper threading help? will try that tomorrow.

so, i've tried reverting my CPU OC, and disable hyperthreading, but it's the same thing, can any staff member chime in?

Have you tried running just off 1 970 instead of SLI? See if you get a drop of any sort?

SLI is always problematic with games...I would never bother with it.

hmm, without SLI i only get around 30fps too, didn't see a drop that soon though, but well, having 2 gpus and not running SLI is a waste.

hmm, without SLI i only get around 30fps too, didn't see a drop that soon though, but well, having 2 gpus and not running SLI is a waste.

You're right, it is a waste. But SLI always has problems with games. This could be an Nvidia SLI profile issue. Maybe look into similar issues over at Nvidia's forums? Create a topic over there.

Next time you upgrade, I recommend just a good single gpu solution, until then, good luck. I see nothing but problems with SLI all the time.

Install older drivers, I'm running 55-60 fps in town, 60-71 out of towns all max settings 1440p

Install older drivers, I'm running 55-60 fps in town, 60-71 out of towns all max settings 1440p

cool which driver is this? and it's on SLI as well? I've tried 350 but the SLI profile don't work, and i was getting 30fps too.

Top Bottom