Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
On the offensive side, oils + archgriffin + thunderbolt (which is bugged right now and gives permanent 100% crit chance) amplifies your damage to the thousands, and you have very nice DoTs at your disposal, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I've tried alchemy at different build levels. 10k hp extra isn't worth a whole lot on DM as you know. I've taken 35k hits.

Later, I think it will shine when you get the right combos, but at level 15 for example, it's lacking in survival and DPS.

I've tried alchemy at different build levels. 10k hp extra isn't worth a whole lot on DM as you know. I've taken 35k hits.

Later, I think it will shine when you get the right combos, but at level 15 for example, it's lacking in survival and DPS.

You're not using it correctly if you lack survival and dps.

Noob question but I am hoping someone will help me out. If you have the alternate sign ability equipped at the same time as the original do they both work? Also I am level 9 and putting abilities in my second skill set (whatever you want to call it) do both skill sets work and eventually all 4 will work? or is it just a preset so you can switch quickly in character menu? I hope I worded that well enough for someone to understand what I mean :p

Did some testing on DM for the three build types. What I found is that early game (level 10 up to 15 skill points) alchemy is very hard. Fast sword is the easiest as igni doesn't do much yet. You need the sword to kill anything and your survival is weak no matter what build you pick.

In the middle game (up to around level 20-22 and 30-35 skill points) alchemy and signs start to get much stronger. You have a real choice in signs with a strong igni and quen build or you can go alchemy. Killing in alchemy is still somewhat hard. Swords pretty much still plays the same as it did at lower levers. Basically hit a few times then dodge or roll away.

Then at the higher levels alchemy and especially signs start to be OP. Swords is still pretty much the same. In fact the levels and skills above level 20-22 are put in other areas to beef up survival (alchemy or quen).

As for what is the least fun spec to play I would have to say alchemy. Not because of the skills but because of the UI. I'm constantly going into inventory to pop a potion or to switch something in or out of the quick slots. It really takes away from the game. Also, you need the formulas to make alchemy really work. So that means this is a build best suited for a second or third try where you kinda know where to go to get the materials and formulas to make.

In my opinion the only build that you can really play from start to finish is a sword build. It is strong on the lower levels, equal on medium and just a little weaker on the higher levels. Alchemy and signs are pretty weak on the lower levels and really need mid levels to allow them to shine. And at higher levels they can easily become OP.

So I ened up being fastest at killing with a hybrid Swords/alch/general build. http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s..._215_254&sign=151&alchemy=143&general=231_321
Hey, Sard. That's pretty similar to my build. I opted to go with Aquired Tolerance instead of Axxi --not because I can pop two decotions at once-- but because it lets me drink every potion in my inventory at once. When I enter a fight I open my inventory screen and drink all my potions from there.

Right now I don't have any decoctions that are that useful. I don't have the necesary mutagens for ones that synergize with my build :X

Oh yeah... and now that I've gotten a grasp on the mechanics and have most of my bombs and oils I've upgraded the difficulty to death march.

Last edited:
Oh yeah... and now that I've gotten a grasp on the mechanics and have most of my bombs and oils I've upgraded the difficulty to death march.

And BOUT GODDAMN TIME SIR.

Everyone should be on Death March. I nearly died to some level 7 bandits the other day because I was sloppy. Then I took some Royal Wyvern at least 8 levels above me ( couldn't see the level marker) -after taking two regular wyverns that were also Red-for-Death level. All in one save, without dying.

Now, that wasn't luck.

I took Axii because a) mind control is cool and b) useful in the dialogues. Only reason.

I'm pretty sure as I go up in levels past 20 I'll have to put more points into Alchemy or Signs. Just for survival. Still want to try a Strong swrods build, though. Rend was fun! Not too useful, but fun.

Now that I discovered this potion I am severely questioning why I would ever go into a Signs build ever again.

View attachment 16045

IMO, one of the biggest advantages of a Signs build is control --something that Swords builds desperately need yet lack. Swords builds compensate for this with bombs (namely Dancing Star to set enemies on fire.) But with Superior Phitri's Philter you no longer need a Signs build to get that control. It works just like the wording implues... Aard and Igni ALWAYS knockdown foes and set them on fire.

Phitri's Philter isn't the only one either. Most of the T3 potions and bombs have really OP secondary abilities. I think in late-game builds you will choose your witcher skills around your options and bombs instead of the other way around.

Attachments

• OP Signs.jpg
    OP Signs.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
oh my... I go full full physical combat.
Almost all my points are on the red branch. I only have 1 point spent on the +500 vitality. the rest is on fast attack, on the damage reduction while dodging and heavy attacks. for me it is very good, i just need to dodge and make a combo, dodge again a combo... the sign I use the mose is quen, helps so much!

Now that I discovered this potion I am severely questioning why I would ever go into a Signs build ever again.

IMO, one of the biggest advantages of a Signs build is control --something that Swords builds desperately need yet lack. Swords builds compensate for this with bombs (namely Dancing Star to set enemies on fire.) But with Superior Phitri's Philter you no longer need a Signs build to get that control. It works just like the wording implues... Aard and Igni ALWAYS knockdown foes and set them on fire.

Phitri's Philter isn't the only one either. Most of the T3 potions and bombs have really OP secondary abilities. I think in late-game builds you will choose your witcher skills around your options and bombs instead of the other way around.

Because sign intensity plays a huge role on something like igni\s burning damage. Only with a dedicated sign build you can have igni burning for 2.5K per second.

I'm really enjoying the mindless fury of Quen, plus Ekhidna Decoction, plus Whirl in a sword heavy build at level 20.

Using Whirl replenishes health - Whirl stun-locks and damages most enemies fairly significantly, while adding Adrenaline for the next strike. The only downside is having to break contact to have stamina for signs... and it looks really cool.
Works really well against common or lower level mobs. Needs a tiny bit more care with common level 'dangerous creatures', and more caution than I commonly have against 'skull-level' monsters.

With a bit more caution it is a really powerful build, as you can use just a tiny bit in place of a common attack to do 2-3 times the damage, and still retreat away. (With the ability to cast signs with Adrenaline it would be more powerful, but I don't have the slot space for that yet...)

It's just my opinion but I think i found a build that is strong at the start, great fun in the middle and still strong at the end. It is a hybrid build that mainly has it's focus on fast attack. Here are the points and which ones I pick to place int he actual tree:

Muscle Memory 5/5 (in tree)
Strength Training 3/5 (to get next level)
Precise Blows 5/5 (in tree)
Crushing Blows 2/5 (to get to next level)
Undying 5/5 (in tree)
Whirl 5/5 (in tree)
Razor Focus 5/5 (in tree)
Crippling Strikes (in tree)
Melt Armor 3/5 (used to get next level)
Delusion 3/3 (in tree for dialogue purposes)
Active Shield 3/3 (in tree)
Poisoned Blades 5/5 (used to get next level)
Acquired Tolerance 3/3 (in tree)
Protective Coating 5/5 (in tree)
Cat School 1/1 (in tree)
Focus 1/1 (in tree)

The abilities not picked to be active in the tree can be whatever you want. They don't really matter if not in the tree anyway. But this build along with level 3 potions means you can stay near 100% health (quen or potion) have decent damage mitigation and deal great damage. Sword play is usually lots more fun to play (IMO) and closer to lore.

In my game, the Superior Thunderbolt potion is bugged so that it always increases your critical-hit-chance by 100%, regardless of the weather. I've having quite a bit of fun with this. Just pop a Thunderbolt and use Whirl and watch the heads fly!! And yes --they do literally fly.

On another note, I am currently experimenting with hyrbid builds. My current theory is that due to the law of diminishing returns there is never a reason to have more than 6 skills equipped from any tree. The reason why is that it's possible to have +100% Sign Intensity and +100% Sword Damage by going just 3 into each tree. Therefore, the only reason to go further than that is for the tactical advantages skills bring. I think this theory synergizes especially well with the Sign tree because it's well suited to switching out skills to adapt to the situation.

Here are some theoretical builds that go along with this theory. NOTE: the skill calculator isn't working properly, but I'm sure you can guess what the last 3 skills are. Swordsmanship Focused Hyrbrid and Signs Focused Hyrbid. Both these builds have the following bonuses.

One Greater Red Mutagen = 40%
Superior Oils = 50%
Muscle Memory = 25%
Superior Thunderbolt = 35%

Total Fast Attack Damage = 150%

One Greater Blue Mutagen = 40%
One Greater Blue Mutagen Unlinked = 10% (in slot next to General Skills)
Superior Phitri's Philter = 20%
Base Sign Intensity = Geralt's Level +1 (I will assume level 30 for this example)

Total Sign Intensity = 101%

Additionally, you can swap out Feline Armor for Griphin armor if you want. Whichever one you go with will add 45% Fast Attack damage or 45% Sign Intensity. You can also swap out Rage Management for Focus or Adrenaline Burst, but I vastly prefer Rage Management. If you're lacking Adrenaline Points just equip +Adrenaline Glyphs in your swords. Whichever build you decide to go with, you will get either +40% Sword Damage or +40% Sign Intensity from the Greater Mutagen linked to your last 3 skills.

Last edited:
which abilities do you place in skill boxes?

My skill points were previously scattered but i used the potion of clearance and set them all to red swordsmanship skills. Although i think some of them i should have spent for axii/delusion levels as quite a few quests require that.

I am improving mostly swordsmanship skills, the red ones. So i am combining them with greater red mutagens to get the most out of them. I have a total of 4 greater red mutagens, with 3 currently in use. I have noticed that in skill boxes (under character section) there is only enough place for so many skills. So i figured there is just enough space to use up all of the skills in "fast attack", "defense", and "battle trans" sections, as i think they are most relevant.

But currently i can occupy the 3 out of the 4 available skill box sets to the right, as 1 set is still locked and i can't place skills there just yet. if you know what i mean. So i got 3 greater red mutagens in use at the moment with 3 sets of skills. +40%, +40% and +40% attack power. So does that mean +120% attack power in total?

Thanks.

Last edited:
fast attack, heavy attack, survival, undying, battle trance, etc. all those that are offensive and used in assaults. Never bothered to augment signs.

4 for Quen, Quen, Quen, and more Quen,
1 fast attack
1 deflect arrow
1 griffin school
2 igni
1 yrden ( for alternate cast )
1 Aard. ( for alternate cast )

1 flexible slot for anything I need.

Flood of Anger (unlocking all bonuses)

"When casting a Sign, 3 Adrenaline Points (if available) will be consumed to upgrade the Sign to the highest level (unlocking all bonuses) and increase Sign intensity by 125%"

Have any of you played with that one yet?

It seem like a good reward for investing so many points into Combat, that when you've chosen this you will be able to have a different playstyle where you can do some crazy signs from time to time.

Just curious if anyone had any experience with it.

Tried it a couple of times, but can't tell you if it really worked for my Geralt was beyond op until I reached this perk. But I think it was more a annoyance than actual help, for you trigger this abillity even unwanted, and lose the other purposes 3 Adrenaline gives you

It is fun, but read up on the signs first so you know what each one does.

One thing to consider if you want super fast adrenaline rate gain - Bear gear - but it slows down stamina regen (but that can be offset by some Tawny Owl).

Alchemy playthough feedback [no spoilers]

(I did play on non-english version .. sorry if some names are not correct)

I finished game as Alchemist in heavy armor... I had great fun of the perks alchemy gave when correctly prepared,
and overall build was very tanky while keeping damage at reasonable level.

But this path have few flaws...

#1. You are very depandant on exploring everything and finding all the potions and oils recipes.
For example, through all my game I did not found Golden Oriole elixir when somehow I missed this herbalist east of oxenfurt/Novigrad
Many of the oils stopped at rank2, or even 1 because I missed the upgrade recipes somewhere...
I never got this ani-ghost petard.

This made it very inconsistent gameplay .. some enemies I could prepare for, and had no real problem with ... others I simply had no right tools to fight with.
Ofc In the end I could beat them all .. but It made fighting them feel like with handicap.

So if you play alchemist at higher dificulty level .. make yourself favor, google locations of recipes and upgrades

#2 The accesibility of ingreadients.
Especially, the Ekima skin and Troll Liver..
In game I enocounter 2 ekimas total .. but to make all upgrades (that I did discover - read #1), you might need about 7?
Trolls are bit more common, but seems most of them live without liver.. think I go single liver through game of Angry Joe Troll.. could use like 5 more.
Should I again google the faming locations for those ? Exploit respawn mechanic on treasure guardiasn ?

#3 Inconsistency of usability of ingridients
I had bags full of trash like, 3 kinds of monster eyes, hearths, essences and skins..
Think its general feedback to Crafting.. that you never know what you will need. I made myself rule, to not carry anything over 20 stack.
But even then do I realy need specific monster heart, or can I simplify it to 'monster heart' ?
Because at the end of the game you realy need only nekker heart and all other are useless ..
You might need bear leather, but all other should be used to make standard crafting leather.
I didn't found any use for thins like chittin.. I might have missed some specific recipes, but still had to carry if for entire game.

At the end of the playthough, just my reagents had weight of ~100 ..

Top Bottom