This game just isn't hard enough.

+
You can easily make the game more challenging on your own with self control.

-Don't use damage bonuses from skills or mutagens. No red mutagens or damage skills.
-Or just don't use any skills at all.
-Use low level armor
-If you have HP and you know you can tank through enemies, don't. Focus on making sure you evade every single attack. If you know you can trade hits with an enemy because you have more health, don't. Focus on never getting hit. If you don't get hit it doesn't matter if the enemy does 1 or 1000 damage.
-Don't combo constantly. Hit once or twice then evade.
-Refrain from using potions or eating food in combat so you can't heal.
-Don't use Quen

The game is as hard as you make it. Playing on Death March with these rules essentially does exactly what any new difficulty would do. It's all up to you.

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. A player should not limit himself in order to increase difficult.

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. A player should not limit himself in order to increase difficult.

Are you serious? You realize YOUR choices are what are making the game easier? Simply changing the way you play changes your difficulty. It's like when people would complain about Dark Souls being too easy. No **** it's gonna be easy when you use overpowered greatswords, magic and ring buffs. Play with a longsword with no magic or buffs and you'll have a balanced difficulty in any Souls game. Difficulty is determined by the player.

Those limitations I gave are precisely what a new difficulty would enforce but because it's the player choosing them and not a difficulty setting they are stupid? Do you realize how stupid it is to complain about being overpowered when you've invested into skill points and mutagens that are responsible for you being overpowered when you can simply disable them?

Don't want to kill everything in one hit? Stop using Red Mutagens, and and damage skills. Don't want to have too have too much damage resistance? Then use weaker armor. Don't spam quen after every hit you take. It's an endless list.

If anything you are the one limiting yourself by only excepting new challenges if they are forced on you by the game.

Last edited:
I play on the 2nd run, Death March and not using Body Armor. I like the rocker-geralt style. And not using body armor just make this game super hard.

There is a big balance problem with the combat. It is often hard for the wrong reasons or too easy for the wrong reasons too.

The core of the combat is amazing but it's badly implemented in some areas.

Also, try playing without using Quen.

Really, I don' know why they made quen work like this. It should work like in the trailer: A night to remember.

I'm more disappointed that im basically MR MONEYBAGS....i have so much money and i'm not saving it one bit....spending it whenever i can...sure the combat itself could use a few tweaks...mostly nerfs....but as it stands the core of it is not bad at all

I am constantly out of money. Idk if that was suggested, there is a mod you can download which rebalances everything. Look this difficulties made for faster understanding of the game for ppl who never got used to hardcore. there will be mods, will be different difficulty by cdpr.

Sorry but where "W3 is already guilty of this"? I didn't see a difficulty in there where enemies one-shot you (in fact all the contrary since you one-shot enemies through and through), neither if taking you out of guard, from behind and higher level than you and/or bosses (sadly, in fact),

Guilty in terms of nonsensical difficulty modes, in the way you don't have health regent and less XP gain higher difficulties which does fuck all in terms of making the game better.

Challenge is needed, but a reasonable one.

Guilty in terms of nonsensical difficulty modes, in the way you don't have health regent and less XP gain higher difficulties which does fuck all in terms of making the game better.

You don't get less XP on higher difficulties. That was a myth going on some time ago but it's false.
As for not regenerating vitality without eating food, actually that's the way the game should be, imo. That they added a way to heal while meditating is only to help people in normal and casual mode.

With all the food you have plus swallow you surely don't have problems of regenerating health and actually entering in meditation just to heal yourself is a burden.

He forgot:

- dont use keyboard
- use feet to handle the mouse

LOOOL

---------- Updated at 08:06 PM ----------

I feel you there. Giving enemies the capability to one shot you doesnt make the game harder, it's just bullsht. You make a game harder by making the combat system with deep, hard to master but satisfying mechanics once you learnt them

I feel you there. Giving enemies the capability to one shot you doesnt make the game harder, it's just bullsht. You make a game harder by making the combat system with deep, hard to master but satisfying mechanics once you learnt them

I'm sorry but where does "one-shoting" fall outside of "deep, hard to master mechanics"? Certainly if the one-shot is completely arbitrary you are right, but if you get one-shotted because you commit a mistake (as for example the enemy hits you out of guard or from behind) there's nothing wrong with that.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne etc. have many bosses that can one-shot you if you are caught off guard and that's perfectly fine, because if it happens is for a mistake of yours. "Deep, hard to master" as you put it, comes from having absolute control of the mechanics so that if you make an error you ARE punished for it. If the punishment is just a little slap in the hand what kind of "deep, hard to master" system that is? Damage IS an essential component of a combat system and there cannot be a deep rewarding combat system with poor damage tied to errors on the part of the user. Only from an adequate punishment for erros can come an "hard to master" system. If there's no adequate punishment there's simply no point on mastering the system at all to begin with.

Please name me ONE deep, hard to master combat system in a game that dish poor damage out of errors on part of the user. I, frankly, know not a single one (and I game since the time of the old Spectrum, C64 etc.), but maybe you do. Actually the more you go in the past to the classic games that had very hard to master mechanics the more committing a mistake costed a lot. Sometimes for a single error you could lose an entire playthrough, or have to redo the level from scratch.

Last edited:
While i agree that the vanilla is too damn easy from the isles of mists on, there is a great fix for that. This mod is so beatifully balanced: and makes the game much more Dark Souly for people who are into that:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...mods.com/witcher3/ajax/modfiles/?id=167&pUp=1

At the end of the day we should stop giving TW3 flak for not being Dark Souls. Dark Souls was programmed around the combat, while TW3 is an RPG. As an open worlder TW3 vanilla beats Skyrim and Dragon Age and that's actually a success. Not being Dark Souls is actually a plus. You can't make a true open world game and have the combat be the best thing about it. A large part of what makes DS so great is that every level is designed in a way that makes the combat sleek but very challenging. This is just not possible on a huge map like the one in TW3

Having said that, I think CDPR should considering implementing the Better Combat mod into one of the patches. It really maximizes the challenge without making the experience unpleasant.

(I am not affiliated with the creator of the mod in any way, just a big fan of his work. I tried 3 different hardcore mods for 5 hours or more and this is by far the best one)

While i agree that the vanilla is too damn easy from the isles of mists on, there is a great fix for that. This mod is so beatifully balanced: and makes the game much more Dark Souly for people who are into that:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...mods.com/witcher3/ajax/modfiles/?id=167&pUp=1

At the end of the day we should stop giving TW3 flak for not being Dark Souls. Dark Souls was programmed around the combat, while TW3 is an RPG. As an open worlder TW3 vanilla beats Skyrim and Dragon Age and that's actually a success. Not being Dark Souls is actually a plus. You can't make a true open world game and have the combat be the best thing about it. A large part of what makes DS so great is that every level is designed in a way that makes the combat sleek but very challenging. This is just not possible on a huge map like the one in TW3

Having said that, I think CDPR should considering implementing the Better Combat mod into one of the patches. It really maximizes the challenge without making the experience unpleasant.

(I am not affiliated with the creator of the mod in any way, just a big fan of his work. I tried 3 different hardcore mods for 5 hours or more and this is by far the best one)

I agree on this, but the point is not that "It's not Dark Souls". I hate Dark Souls.
The point is that balancement is off.

The enhanced version is even better imo, but it requires a restart. For a second playthrough, however, it is highly recommended. I am doing a Broken Bones run with it (Dearth March is really really difficult with that mod) and I'm having a blast.

Yawn. Just download a difficulty mod and stop waving your epeen, it is so unbecoming.

This has nothing to do with waving around an epeen...

This IS a serious problem for people that like a challenge and I'd like it addressed by the devs. There's something wrong when you can cakewalk through a game on the hardest difficulty. I was looking forward to playing perma death straight off the bat, but they took that away before release too.

---------- Updated at 08:20 AM ----------

all those who consider W3 easy, should just head over nexusmods, and download combat rebalance mod... good luck finishing game on DeadMarch with that mod on...

Sure I'll just log on with my PS4 right now...

---------- Updated at 08:26 AM ----------

Are you serious? You realize YOUR choices are what are making the game easier? Simply changing the way you play changes your difficulty. It's like when people would complain about Dark Souls being too easy. No **** it's gonna be easy when you use overpowered greatswords, magic and ring buffs. Play with a longsword with no magic or buffs and you'll have a balanced difficulty in any Souls game. Difficulty is determined by the player.

Those limitations I gave are precisely what a new difficulty would enforce but because it's the player choosing them and not a difficulty setting they are stupid? Do you realize how stupid it is to complain about being overpowered when you've invested into skill points and mutagens that are responsible for you being overpowered when you can simply disable them?

Don't want to kill everything in one hit? Stop using Red Mutagens, and and damage skills. Don't want to have too have too much damage resistance? Then use weaker armor. Don't spam quen after every hit you take. It's an endless list.

If anything you are the one limiting yourself by only excepting new challenges if they are forced on you by the game.

Yes he's serious.

I didn't buy the game to not take advantage of witcher skills, mutagens, gear, basically everything it has to offer because the devs didn't make Death March (the toughest difficulty in the game) hard enough? Part of the fun is shaping your character along the journey.

Yes he's serious.

I didn't buy the game to not take advantage of witcher skills, mutagens, gear, basically everything it has to offer because the devs didn't make Death March (the toughest difficulty in the game) hard enough? Part of the fun is shaping your character along the journey.

Guess what a new difficulty setting would do? It wouldn't allow food or potions in the middle of combat. It would make enemies give more damage and take less. It would make leveling slower and give slower stamina regen. You can achieve those results in many ways given in past comments.

Red Mutagens can give 40% to 160% of a damage bonus. Are you feeling deprived of shaping your character by not enabling something that ONLY gives you a huge damage boost? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Using a Mutagen like that essentially gives you an easier difficulty setting. Don't use it and you do less damage. Is this somehow depriving you of what the game has to offer? Same thing applies to skills that ONLY give damage boosts. Just don't use them.

There are plenty of skills and abilities that don't make you overpowered.

If you are using a bunch of High % damage buffs, fully upgraded abilities, and strong upgraded gear only to complain about the game not being hard enough, then the complaint is invalid.

It's like you guys can't sculpt your own difficulty curve. You can only follow rule sets if the game forces it on you. You are the one making the game easy on yourself, not the devs. You have a choice to make the game harder in nearly the same way a new difficulty setting would, yet you choose not to.

Last edited:
Guess what a new difficulty setting would do? It wouldn't allow food or potions in the middle of combat. It would make enemies give more damage and take less. It would make leveling slower and give slower stamina regen. You can achieve those results in many ways given in past comments.

Red Mutagens can give 40% to 160% of a damage bonus. Are you feeling deprived of shaping your character by not enabling something that ONLY gives you a huge damage boost? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Using a Mutagen like that essentially gives you an easier difficulty setting. Don't use it and you do less damage. Is this somehow depriving you of what the game has to offer? Same thing applies to skills that ONLY give damage boosts. Just don't use them.

There are plenty of skills and abilities that don't make you overpowered.

If you are using a bunch of High % damage buffs, fully upgraded abilities, and strong upgraded gear only to complain about the game not being hard enough, then the complaint is invalid.

It's like you guys can't sculpt your own difficulty curve. You can only follow rule sets if the game forces it on you. You are the one making the game easy on yourself, not the devs. You have a choice to make the game harder in nearly the same way a new difficulty setting would, yet you choose not to.

Mate you're missing the whole point.

Why is it up to us to make the game harder?

There are 4 difficulties to choose from built into the game, why not take advantage of those options and make the hardest difficulty, ummm I don't know HARD? They were on the right track initially when perma death mode was supposed to be in on release, but for reasons I don't know they decided not to implement it straight away. I guess to smooth out the bugs and glitches first which is understandable.

You're telling me to play a RPG but take the RP out of it. Skills, mutagens, gear, that's all progression, progression of my character. Limiting character progression is not the way forward, fixing the core balance of the game is. If there are plenty of skills that make you overpowered as you say, is that in itself not a problem with the game's balance?

If I'm using a bunch of high % damage buffs, fully upgraded abilities, and strong upgraded gear ie. playing the game as intended and cake walking through the hardest difficulty, yes I believe there is justified reason to point out to the devs that they may need to increase the difficulty of their hardest setting.

Mate you're missing the whole point.

Why is it up to us to make the game harder?

There are 4 difficulties to choose from built into the game, why not take advantage of those options and make the hardest difficulty, ummm I don't know HARD? They were on the right track initially when perma death mode was supposed to be in on release, but for reasons I don't know they decided not to implement it straight away. I guess to smooth out the bugs and glitches first which is understandable.

You're telling me to play a RPG but take the RP out of it. Skills, mutagens, gear, that's all progression, progression of my character. Limiting character progression is not the way forward, fixing the core balance of the game is. If there are plenty of skills that make you overpowered as you say, is that in itself not a problem with the game's balance?

If I'm using a bunch of high % damage buffs, fully upgraded abilities, and strong upgraded gear ie. playing the game as intended and cake walking through the hardest difficulty, yes I believe there is justified reason to point out to the devs that they may need to increase the difficulty of their hardest setting.

How would overpowered abilities/skills be an issue with game balance if you are NOT FORCED to use them? YOU are the one choosing to use them. You are the one making yourself overpowered. Simply don't and problem solved. It's that easy. You are making issues for yourself.

As I said "You have a choice to make the game harder in nearly the same way a new difficulty setting would, yet you choose not to."

I guess I have to literally spell it out.

-high % damage buffs give you more damage. A harder difficulty setting would decrease your damage. Guess what you can do? Not use the buffs, and get the EXACT same result. LESS DAMAGE.

-fully upgraded abilities make enemies easier to kill. A harder difficulty setting would make enemies harder to kill. Don't use fully upgraded abilities and enemies will be harder to kill.

-strong upgraded gear makes you do more damage and take less. A Harder difficulty setting would make you do less damage and take more. Guess what you can do? Not use strong upgraded gear and get the exact same result a new difficulty would enforce.

You can still upgrade your character and not be overpowered. You just choose to not take this route.

Plenty of people find Death March and even Broken Bones well difficult enough. You need more though. So I have given you ways to emulate the exact way a new difficulty setting would play. If you choose not to, then don't complain.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Hardcore mod is here and it's pretty damn good. You may want to actually turn down the difficulty even lol. Balances to Gwent as well.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...age=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=2927449&pUp=1
I'd be quite interested in playing with some mod of this sort in the future, but right now I'm avoiding most of them out of the concern that since they got thrown out so quickly they must be pretty "unripe".

I've been playing games for more than 30 years and following mod scenes for at least half of that time (at some point in life even as a job) and experience tells me that rushed "hardcore mode mods" often tend to mix some good ideas with some pretty amateurish ones where they make things harder just for the sake of making them harder, without paying much attention to what makes also the game more engaging and fun.

Top Bottom