Companions

+
I'm just impressed suhiir knew what muktuk was. I had to look it up.

I have an amazing memory for useless trivia, but can't for the life of me remember my sisters phone number, or my own half the time for that matter.

I don't really want companions that follow me around. I've never really had a good experience with them. Skyrim, for example, had really annoying companions that I felt like I had to babysit.

Yeah the Skyrim companion AI was a textbook example of "bad".

Last edited:
Yeah the Skyrim companion AI was a textbook example of "bad".

come, [insert companion name], ]I'll show you something, go a bit closer to the edge, a little bit more, ok now FUS ROH DAH!
also one thing that bothers me in skyrim is undying enemies.

Last edited:
come, [insert companion name], ]I'll show you something, go a bit closer to the edge, a little bit more, ok now FUS ROH DAH!
also one thing that bothers me in skyrim is undying enemies.
Not just enemies but companions also. Makes all the point of trying to protect your companions if they just rise after the battle.

Yeah, that's why I usually avoid companions, they are more often a hindrance rather than a help. Although most of the time the companions in the Mass Effect series were pretty good.

In certain situations, it might be cool. Hiring a merc for a single mission or something, maybe, like Alyx in Half Life 2 where they help you out or you help them out. Bethesda games are hard to cite for me as they've always been kind of badly animated and terribly AI'ed. You can usually find a way around the AI rather than find a way to kill a guy using actual character skill, which breaks immersion.

forums.cdprojektred.com said:
This discussion is older than 365 days. Information contained in it may no longer be current. Please do not post new messages without substantial need.

Wow.. I can't believe this.. It has been a year since anyone posted on this topic.. No topic of mine should fall into such despair. As there are not more similar topics, I am reviving it... :D

About companions: I think Fallout New Vegas companions were really nice, but I have to agree that AI left much to be desired. But it is not because companions with good AI is not doable, it is because of the engine Bethesda uses in their games, AI and animations are inherently bad and not just for companions. There are examples of good AI in many RPG's.

I feel having companions are very important from a story point of view. At least for me. I become more invested in the story if I am not alone. Because then I care about my choices, I already know that my character is basically immortal. (you can't really die, not permanently.) Then I start to care about what happens to them. If you choose to help them or not, If you choose to do something that will mean certain death for one or more of your companions. Probabilities are limitless.

yes, let us have companions like in mass effect
Considering what typ of gameplay Cyberpunk 2077 probably will have (1st and/or 3rd person type of a thing), then Mass Effect is the best game to take as an example of where Companions where done well in (they work in games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well, but not as good as in worked in ME)... it was not perfect of course. But I think that both 1st or 3rd person games of this nature are inherently very weak platforms to deal with Companions, just due to the nature of that you basicly only control your own character, and anything further then that can be a problem. You could never really get the kind of Companion controll that you have in games like Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc, which are all on a platform that is inherently very strong for controling lots of Companions.

So yeah... I have to say that CPF's (CPFE's?) suggestion of Mass Effect is a really good one. I could live with them using ME as a template for Companion controll in CP2077... as long as it was also possible to go it alone compleatly (because sometimes I just don't want to have to bother dealing with companions in games like this).

Last edited:
I don't want to read all 44 previous pages on the topic, so could someone tell me whether it's been confirmed that there will be companions in this game? And how many (ie. Fallout had 1, Mass Effect had 2, etc.)? Or will it be more like the Witcher series, where Geralt's on his own 95% of the time?

I don't want to read all 44 previous pages on the topic, so could someone tell me whether it's been confirmed that there will be companions in this game? And how many (ie. Fallout had 1, Mass Effect had 2, etc.)? Or will it be more like the Witcher series, where Geralt's on his own 95% of the time?

I haven't read either but everything should be pretty much speculation.

So to speculate more, I wouldn't want building a crew like in Mass Effect, which doesn't seem to fit for a living on the edge guy/gal. So I think taking companions depending on missions like in Witcher 3 would be more of a fit. But if there is gonna be companions I'd want it be like in New Vegas, with a lot more depth.

Ultimately companions that follows you around all the time is unrealistic; which is also said by some CDPR representative in an interview(don't remember which interview but pretty sure it wasn't specifically about cyberpunk), so perma companions are not likely to be in a CDPR game.

Yeah, I don't think the "squadmates" model like in Mass Effect would work. But I could see a New Vegas-like companion for hire working. I'd sort of like to see the companion along more so than we do in the Witcher series with Geralt being a lone wolf 95% of the time, though. New Vegas' method is, IMO, the ideal setup.

I don't think the ME way would be so impractical or un-cyberpunk. See how Neuromancer is pretty much a high-tech Ocean's Eleven job, with Armitage putting together a team? Just make it so that a lot of main and side-quests often involve other recurring characters that are just good enough that either people would hire them for the job (maybe even have them agaisnt us some times) or for them to have a personal interest in them. Aren't PnP games of CP2020 stories in which everyone's character works together in a team for whatever reason players and GM contrive? This is a single player game, but still, the player character needs to interact with a set of recurring characters that he gets to know overtime.

Companions are also a very good option to use to inform the player of the world around them in the game. And I think that is something that will be needed in the game... some several things/devices/etc that informs and teach the player about "Cyberpunk" as a concept.

Because as much as we all might like to think it is... the sci-fi subgenre of Cyberpunk... be it in any type of game (electronic, paper, or otherwise), or in movies and tv-series etc, or books and(/or comics... is probably not as big as we think it is. Which means that most people, the majority of players and potential buyers for this game, will not have much of an idea of what "Cyberpunk" actually is.

This may be a little off-topic, but i do hope that in general, companions or otherwise characters in the game, that we'll have more examples like Letho from Witcher 2. I personally feel like he was one of the best characters created by CDPR, and he was almost always present in one way or another in W2.

Top Bottom