A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried new Nvidia driver 353.62 WHQL if it helps Witcher 3 anyhow?

Woah there is a new Driver for Nvidia? Now thats something I have to test. Or is that the NDA one?

Actually its the NDA one but now officialized :) Finally they released it. Also this driver is for Windows 10 users as well.

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 353.62
The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved in this version. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this driver version. The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.

WDDM Behavior with Mixed GPUs in Windows 10 with Release 352 Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) version 2.0 is available starting with Windows 10. In Release 252, systems with any combination of Kepler and Maxwell GPUs use
WDDM 2.0, while systems with only Fermi GPUs use WDDM 1.3. In systems that mix Fermi with Kepler and/or Maxwell GPUs, the WDDM version used is determined by the GPU that POSTs first: WDDM 1.3 for Fermi, WDDM 2.0 otherwise. GPUs that POST after the first GPU and that are not compatible with its WDDM version will fail to load and show a yellow bang in Device Manager. In a future driver release, systems that include Fermi GPUs will use WDDM 2.0 instead
of WDDM 1.3.

Windows 10 Fixed Issues
 [353.50] Cursor does not track the mouse correctly. [1663851]

Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 8.1 Fixed
Issues

 [352.86] Text Adjust video color settings is not capitalized in the NVIDIA Control
Panel like other sections. [1646926]

 [352.86] Sony Vegas Pro 13 rendering crashes with error fault in nvcuda.dll after
driver updated. [1647939]

 [352.86] Chrome browser causes the GPU to TDR after driver updated. [1647277]

 [353.23] There is a five second delay starting or switching tasks in apps and games
with G-sync enabled on both single and SLI configurations. [1655659]

---------- Updated at 05:58 PM ----------

Has anyone tried new Nvidia driver 353.62 WHQL if it helps Witcher 3 anyhow?

Well I can say that b/c it incorporated the NDA drivers that got leaked I would say there is slight increase in performance or maybe not. Not quite sure. Though I will say Batman Arkham Knight had a slight increase in fps and more consistant. But since these drivers include fixes from the other branch I am going to try these out since there is some good stuff added that I would be missing if I just used the NDA ones only.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just gave me a hint regarding NPC pop-in issue. it's very likely that this matter doesn't relate to rendering at all !
let's say that the engine starts to render all textures and visual elements that their flag come inside a circle around Geralt; and we can tweak the circle radios until reaching a hard barrier. however this problem didn't exist before and no matter how far the visual settings are pushed, it still persist. so this is about something else.
I think NPC flags aren't placed inside the circle at the right moment; that means no rendering command is given.
you may ask why this doesn't happen to trees or foliage. the answer is because those are attached to map and are part of it. there's no need to calculate and place a signal (flag) for them, their flag is already there but NPC's on the other hand are some sort of moving and interactive elements.

Last edited:
Both of these combined causes distance LOD to fade in and out and cause all the texture pop-ins.

Please note that after I've tweaked shadows (entries below) in user.settings, texture pop-in improved dramatically. for example there's no grass pop-in on walls or on the ground right now.

- CascadeShadowDistanceScale0
- CascadeShadowDistanceScale1
- CascadeShadowDistanceScale2
- CascadeShadowDistanceScale3

i dont know what they did in 1.07 but the poping has increased, its ridiculous, objects/mesh and textures are poping in front of geralt

We really need some way to tweak these things by ourselves. I think we should be more vocal about it, maybe making a detailed thread in the suggestions area or something would be great.

Tweaking and customizing settings to your liking is what makes PC great. It's already kinda good in W3, I just think we should have a bit more options regarding LOD, texture loading and the likes. (I have no idea how hard it would be to do this, so i'm probably being a little ignorant here)

We really need some way to tweak these things by ourselves. I think we should be more vocal about it, maybe making a detailed thread in the suggestions area or something would be great.

Tweaking and customizing settings to your liking is what makes PC great. It's already kinda good in W3, I just think we should have a bit more options regarding LOD, texture loading and the likes. (I have no idea how hard it would be to do this, so i'm probably being a little ignorant here)

already created multiple threads about it asking kindly when the game was released, that give you an idea since when we started complaining about it and CDPR has so far said absolutely nothing regarding this big problem

my wild guess would be that we're receiving console LOD tweak since ther's abosultly 0 reasons why they would reduce it from 1.06 to 1.07, and those freaking poptatoes APU can barely run the game, ther's no PC version of this game

Last edited:
already created multiple threads about it asking kindly when the game was released, that give you an idea since when we started complaining about it and CDPR has so far said absolutely nothing regarding this big problem

my wild guess would be that we're receiving console LOD tweak since ther's abosultly 0 reasons why they would reduce it from 1.06 to 1.07, and those freaking poptatoes APU can barely run the game, ther's no PC version of this game

Well, that sucks. Kinda. Though i have a weird feeling that makes me think PC might be getting some love in the near future.

*Not trying to start a platform war or anything* The framerate problems in PS4 (and even XBOne now i think?) are known. I'm expecting some reduction to graphical quality to make the game run better on them. And this is a thing that shouldn't affect PC at all, especially if it involves LOD, which is already kinda awful. We already got low settings (and can tweak even further down if needed).

CDPR, please don't reduce graphical quality in a PC patch just because a console couldn't handle it. Even if it takes longer to be released. Instead try to give us more options, as it would be amazing for the PC community. Of course, you guys don't HAVE to do anything really, but the PC players would be really thankful for it ;)

Does anyone knows what those new terrain options actually do when tweaked? Saw a post but it didn't really explain much.

Last edited:

CDPR has kept silence for a long time regarding this matter or visual aspects. maybe they're currently working on it and don't want to say anything before the job is done. I don't know, maybe that's just a wishful thinking. but one thing is certain, the PC community is really pissed off about their silence.

oh there have been plenty of threads detailling these problems you mentionned, and since release too. but all of them got ignored, and any sort of graphics thread got locked down at the mere mention of the "D" word.
so yeah, at this point, i'm not sure what to think really.

oh there have been plenty of threads detailling these problems you mentionned, and since release too. but all of them got ignored, and any sort of graphics thread got locked down at the mere mention of the "D" word.
so yeah, at this point, i'm not sure what to think really.

Well, i would still have another try at making a very detailed thread regarding all this. But i have no idea what to talk about exactly, my knowledge in this area is very limited and my formatting is shit. I would really support anyone dedicated to doing it though.

Even though graphics isn't something that i deeply care about, i like to tweak it until i reach a sweet spot for me. But the textures loading/streaming in even during dialogues and cutscenes gets really annoying. All because characters and textures lose so much detail from within a relatively short distance. Plus the pop-ins.
ANNOYING.

This. Annoys. Me. So. Much.

I mean is this really necessary? From this little distance change? These changes in texture quality because of small distances are pretty much the main annoyance of this game for me, seeing a lot of textures loading in because the camera position changed in a dialogue horrible. And then during normal gameplay these roofs (and even some other textures) change in quality even if you are right in front of them.

Hey guys, I think I might have stumbled upon another set of tweaks that we might want to try in our fight against LOD problems. Courtesy of S.T.E.P.'s Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Modding Guide:

User.settings file (.../Documents/The Witcher 3)

[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 200)
DecalsHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 80)
DimmerHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 60)
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 20)
StripeHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 60)

This is what the Modding Guide's authors had to say about the above tweaks:

"All the above settings control Level Of Detail (trees in the far distance etc.)... Setting all to 800 will greatly increase the distant detail at very low performance cost."

I think we should put their claims to the test. There are other recommended tweaks in their guide that I haven't seen before, so those might be worth a shot as well while we're at it. Good luck and fingers crossed! ;)

Hey guys, I think I might have stumbled upon another set of tweaks that we might want to try in our fight against LOD problems. Courtesy of S.T.E.P.'s Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Modding Guide:

User.settings file (.../Documents/The Witcher 3)

[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 200)
DecalsHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 80)
DimmerHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 60)
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 20)
StripeHideDistance=800 (Ultra level value: 60)

This is what the Modding Guide's authors had to say about the above tweaks:

"All the above settings control Level Of Detail (trees in the far distance etc.)... Setting all to 800 will greatly increase the distant detail at very low performance cost."

I think we should put their claims to the test. There are other recommended tweaks in their guide that I haven't seen before, so those might be worth a shot as well while we're at it. Good luck and fingers crossed! ;)

I tested this + additional terrain tweaks on the page and... sadly nothing changed. I compared 3 screenshots and the only thing that changed between them was the position shadows originating from clouds were.

Waiting for other people to test it.

I tested this + additional terrain tweaks on the page and... sadly nothing changed. I compared 3 screenshots and the only thing that changed between them was the position shadows originating from clouds were.

Waiting for other people to test it.
I tested these tweaks several weeks ago, LOD was by no means improved and it might make my game more unstable.

NICE!!

I'm searching for quite a while for the option to increase rain drop count. Anyone knows where it is? if it exist...

There are two methods of increasing rain drop count. First is do download a mod called Extreme Weather Conditions. Second is to go to Witcher 3's folder then content/content0/bundle/_default_lighting/engine/environments then tweak the settings there. Haven't tried the second method but the first method works. (It also increases the storm duration, frequency and ferocity)

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/29/?

---------- Updated at 04:33 AM ----------

Somehow, I get the feeling that CDPR is abiding with some sort of graphics parity between consoles and PC judging from all the silence, locking threads down when mentioning the "D" word, not responding to threads about letting PC gamers tweak more and porting console's level of graphical details being almost as same as on PC. Either that or their middleware engine (Umbra and Simplygon) is screwing things up. Regardless, we all know what the problem is. It's time for some solutions and CDPR needs to help. I mean they're all for the PC gamers right? We need to all voice our concerns so this issue can't be ignored any longer.

And if any of the CDPR staff is reading this, please understand that we're not knocking on the game's overall quality. Witcher 3 is a fantastic RPG game. We PC gamers want the opportunity to make that experience even better by tweaking the game's tit bits so that the issues we're facing at the moment (Like NPC and texture pop ins, draw distance and so on) can be resolved. All we're asking of you is please unlock the engine's variables so we can tweak the various different .INI files within the game's files. We PC gamers spent thousands of dollars on our rigs especially for Witcher 3 and in the end, if you unlock the engine and let us tweak, it'll be our hardware that'll benefit it. CDPR, please consider this and make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom