Geralt vs Coën

+
Geralt vs Coën

Greetings fellow witchers,

I know that Geralt of Rivia is the main character in the books and the games, but I also know that Geralt is not the strongest man in Sapowsky universe.

Geralt is suppose to be one of the best swordsman of his time... but also It's stated that Coën, a Witcher from the cat school was unbeatable with the sword (he even said Ciri that he has never knew anyone as fast and good with the sword as himself).

So, what do you guys think. who would win in a fight between our dear Geralt and Coën?

Greetings fellow witchers,

I know that Geralt of Rivia is the main character in the books and the games, but I also know that Geralt is not the strongest man in Sapowsky universe.

Geralt is suppose to be one of the best swordsman of his time... but also It's stated that Coën, a Witcher from the cat school was unbeatable with the sword (he even said Ciri that he has never knew anyone as fast and good with the sword as himself).

So, what do you guys think. who would win in a fight between our dear Geralt and Coën?

In a fight, many things can happen, and to predict an outcome like that is really hard. After all it's not all about swordsmen, there are also signs and elixirs.
So i would say a that anyone could win.

Well, Geralt is stronger than Ciri when it comes to sword-play (which Geralt himself said). And if Coen is at the same level as Ciri he'll have a bit of a tough fight, but Geralt would most likely win in the end.

How ironic that "both" died by a pitchfork though.

:eredinfacepalm:

Where did u get the idea that Coën is from school of the cat or that he is unbeatable with a sword? Apart from his general appearance which is described in the books we know that he is from Poviss and that he died in the Battle of Brenna.

Where did u get the idea that Coën is from school of the cat or that he is unbeatable with a sword? Apart from his general appearance which is described in the books we know that he is from Poviss and that he died in the Battle of Brenna.

Directly from the wiki:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_School

It list Coën as a student of the school cat.

and I quote this:

Coen?'
Aha?'
'I'm still not fast enough—'
'You're very fast.'
'Will I ever be as fast as you?'
'I doubt it.'
'Hmm . . . And are you—? Who's the best fencer in the world?'
'I've no idea.'
'You've never known one?'
'I've known many who believed themselves to be the best.'
'Oh! What were they? What were their names? What could they do?'
'Hold on, hold on, girl. I haven't got an answer to those questions. Is it all that important?'
'Of course it's important! I'd like to know who these fencers are. And where they are.'
'Where they are? I know that.'
'Ah! So where?'
'In cemeteries.'

I have no idea why he is listed there as being from cat school but its not correct.He spent hes winter at Kaer Morhen with other witchers and Vesemir would never allow anyone from cat school entry to the fortress(this is explained in Season of Storms).Part u quoted simply means that hes faster then normal human which all witchers are due to their mutations not that hes unbeatable with a blade.

Geralt is faster and stronger than the rest of the Witchers, because his mutations go beyond that of a regular Witcher. Plus people forget that Geralt should have been very strong and talented with a sword to begin with.

Ciri is very overpowered in the game, although Vesemir states in the same game that she is not the strongest or the fastest kid that he has trained. The fastest and strongest probably was Geralt. It is also notable that Eskel was one of the best swordsmen of the time, and he also deserved Geralt's fame and renown although he was not renowned. I guess if Dandelion's ballads were about Eskel, then he would be as famous and renowned as Geralt.

So I put my money on Geralt every time except if he goes against Vilgefortz, which was an undefeatable super mage.

Geralt is faster and stronger than the rest of the Witchers, because his mutations go beyond that of a regular Witcher. Plus people forget that Geralt should have been very strong and talented with a sword to begin with.

Ciri is very overpowered in the game, although Vesemir states in the same game that she is not the strongest or the fastest kid that he has trained. The fastest and strongest probably was Geralt. It is also notable that Eskel was one of the best swordsmen of the time, and he also deserved Geralt's fame and renown although he was not renowned. I guess if Dandelion's ballads were about Eskel, then he would be as famous and renowned as Geralt.

So I put my money on Geralt every time except if he goes against Vilgefortz, which was an undefeatable super mage.

You are right, i totally forgot, that Geralt went through more mutations than normal witchers.
:hmm:

You are right, i totally forgot, that Geralt went through more mutations than normal witchers.
:hmm:

is stated that those mutations makes him more faster and stronger? I thought those mutations made him more... human?
I mean, I know it's not canon, but some witchers makes fun of Geralt in his fighting style. In the first game, Berengar tells Geralt about how he made mistakes when he is fighting and in the Witcher 2, on Serrit's notes, He said that he want to laught when he see the way Geralt moves.

is stated that those mutations makes him more faster and stronger? I thought those mutations made him more... human?
I mean, I know it's not canon, but some witchers makes fun of Geralt in his fighting style. In the first game, Berengar tells Geralt about how he made mistakes when he is fighting and in the Witcher 2, on Serrit's notes, He said that he want to laught when he see the way Geralt moves.

They improved him even more, with more mutations, and he became even less human i'd say.
From my understanding it is his further mutations, that changed his hair colour to white.

I thought Geralt's fighting style had changed and he made "mistakes" because of the injuries he suffered from his fight with Vilgefortz. For instance it was stated he would always have a limp.

On the other hand, if I'm reading the history correctly, it was apparently added by @SMiki55, who knows his stuff, so maybe we can ask him :)

I made many silly deeds in my youth... Coën's school is a riddle. We only know that he spends his first winter in Kaer Morhen during the "Blood of Elves" and he is from Poviss.

That short cut scene showing Eskel warm up with his sword in Kaer Morhen gave me chills. What a stud

True, he looks like real mother***, and second cut scene when Eskel want to fight vs one navigator and 4 wild hunt warriors, he's coming to them with sword behind his own back, nice one :)

I always thought Coen was another witcher from wolf school, the youngest one, and he later died in Brenna.

In the first game, Berengar tells Geralt about how he made mistakes when he is fighting and in the Witcher 2, on Serrit's notes, He said that he want to laught when he see the way Geralt moves.

It's because in past, sorcerer Vilgerfortz broken Geralt's leg and it's not fully restored, so he is weaker from one side.

True, he looks like real mother***, and second cut scene when Eskel want to fight vs one navigator and 4 wild hunt warriors, he's coming to them with sword behind his own back, nice one :)

You have to be one bad motherfucker to go up against an overpowered magical enemy who can teleport all over the freakin' place and walk out of that fight alive. And Eskel fits that to a T.
Eskel always struck me as the sort of laid-back dude who doesn't like call attention to himself and just quietly and very competently does his job and collects his paycheck, but he's pretty damn near equal to Geralt in sheer skill.
In regard to the question of what school Coen was from, it was definitely School of the Wolf. At the beginning of Blood of Elves, remember when Ciri has her premonition after getting into the White Gull? She predicts that two of the witcher present...Geralt and Coen...would meet their end from the teeth, two for Coen and three for Geralt. Coen got stabbed in the chest with a two-pronged pitchfork, and still managed to hang on until they got him on the operating table. Geralt, of course, caught a three-pronged pitchfork to the gut (ow). But was saved through the timely intervention of Ciri and a unicorn.
Poor Coen didn't get that lucky.

---------- Updated at 10:04 AM ----------

I always thought Coen was another witcher from wolf school, the youngest one, and he later died in Brenna.

It's because in past, sorcerer Vilgerfortz broken Geralt's leg and it's not fully restored, so he is weaker from one side.

Not entirely. It's implied too that, while he was suffering from memory loss, he simply forgot many of his former skills. He regains them later, of course, when he regains his memory.

In Blood of Elves(I think) Triss notes that Eskel emanates more powerful vibrations than Geralt (however, this is to do with magic) rather than prowess as a swordsman.

What extra mutations does Geralt go through that the other wolf school witchers don't?
Personally having read the books and played the games I've never needed to think of geralt as massively 'better' or more 'badass' than the other main witchers - it's just that he's a bit older than Lambert and Coen, and has ideals which in addition top his swordmanship drive him to succeed.

If anyone from CDPR is listening, I'd love to see more cutscenes featuring the witchers duelling!

Top Bottom