Activate 4K resolution on a dell UltraSharp screen

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Activate 4K resolution on a dell UltraSharp screen

Hello,

I am not a very expert in graphics stuff so i need some advice.

I have a 4K enabled monitor with a resolution of 3840 x 2160.

I also have 3 x gtx 980 nvidia cards.

To fully enjoy 4K what i need to do.

Turn on SLI, or is the resolution already enough? Or do i need to do something else?

If you aren't confident in your graphical tuning abilities, I recommend opening Geforce Experience, click on games -> scan for games if you haven't already, then click on 'optimize' under The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and check if the resolution there is 3840x2160. If it isn't, then manually (still under the witcher 3 wild hunt) set that resolution.

Definitely turn SLI on, it will improve your performance greatly. Once you are in-game, check your graphics settings; I recommend turning on v-sync, maximum framerate = unlimited (or 60) and your resolution should be 3840x2160. Enjoy the game :)

---------- Updated at 09:18 PM ----------

What on Earth do you need 3 GTX 980 cards for? Are you mining Bitcoins?
Two 980s only achieve around 40fps at 4k ultra.

Two 980s only achieve around 40fps at 4k ultra.

Interesting. I guess high resolutions are still too taxing. GPUs didn't catch up to that yet. I'd say it's an overkill anyway, since it requires too much power to function. And visually you don't gain that much.

Interesting. I guess high resolutions are still too taxing. GPUs didn't catch up to that yet. I'd say it's an overkill anyway, since it requires too much power to function. And visually you don't gain that much.

It's not so much that the GPU's haven't caught up, its the sheer number of pixels that need to be rendered.

1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600
2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400
3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400

It's just a very steep increase and the power needed to render all that...

It's not so much that the GPU's haven't caught up, its the sheer number of pixels that need to be rendered.

1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600
2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400
3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400

It's just a very steep increase and the power needed to render all that...

That's what I meant as well, current computational capacity of GPUs didn't catch up to such sizes yet. On a side note, It's unfortunate that 16:9 aspect ratio became so widespread, I much prefer 16:10.

Be that as it may, if you want the best of the best right now, you'll need about 4 Titan X cards in order to run 4k60 ultra with some tweaks. And if you have the money, then why the hell not :p

Firstly I trust you've got an SLI bridge on your GPU's to ensure they're actually all connected? Seems like a silly question, but who knows. If you got the PC pre-built then it's almost guaranteed you do.

Secondly navigate to your Nvidia Control Panel > Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX > Select "Maximize 3D Performance" > Apply

You should end up with a page that looks something like this:

The "SLI Enabled" and Green linked SLI bar being the most important things.

You should probably also check the "Change Resolution" section, and ensure the monitor is definitely running @ 3840x2160 & 60Hz.

After that, everything should be sweet. SLI can sometimes have issues, so if you run into trouble with certain games, do a bit of googling and see, but the majority of big release recent titles should all work fine. Witcher 3 at least runs/scales great, or it does on my 2-Way SLI, so hopefully 3-Way is reasonably as solid.

Thnx. Yes everything was set properly then and SLI used to run quite smooth on windows 8 but on windows 10 it lagging like hell ( see my other post ) so i just need to wait abit for a new driver update.

That's what a monitor with a dynamic refresh rate is for. But people cant get that through their heads. Instead of buying one or two powerful GPU's and a Gsync monitor, they opt for another video card.. Get a gsync monitor and 40fps will still feel like 60-90 fps. Heck they even make them in 42 inches. There is no reason for 3-4 GPU's.. OP could have bought 1 card "or two", a Gsync monitor and be done with it and have the best gaming experience ever.

Last edited:
Be that as it may, if you want the best of the best right now, you'll need about 4 Titan X cards in order to run 4k60 ultra with some tweaks. And if you have the money, then why the hell not :p

It's an overkill which in my view doesn't worth its expenses (not only on hardware but on power it will eat).

Well as for the context of this thread, OP seems to be set, and any further issues are possibly W10 related (Or Triple GPU related, which is sadly just part and parcel of running multiple GPU setups).

OP wasn't looking for financial advice, or input as to whether his GPU's were worth it or not, which is all I see this thread continuing as. Locking this, and OP if you do need further help, throw me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom