Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave Rose of Remembrance to my love Saskia in W2, how Triss have that rose in W3???

Because Ioverth is a side character, bro Roche for life. He, Ves and Triss need some interation in W3. MORE TRISS. MORE VES. MORE ROCHE :rofl:

SO TRİSS FOREVER

You mean "The Eternal Triss" :radovidsmug:

Guys, you can send me saves from docks, I'll press 'Farewell, Triss' for you :D

Do you need the video "Triss bad choice" ? I can send it to you right away :whistle:

I'm intending this post as a way to vent a little bit and in the hopes that someone at RED will ultimately give it a glance, so it may not be noteworthy to most people reading this thread but TO CD PROJECT RED - First of all: I love the game and really appreciate all of the ridiculously meticulous, hard work that you guys have done on it. There are few games who can make me really have inner quarrels about what is or is not the 'right' choice to make regarding characters that I legitimately begin to care about. The 'moral choice' system is incredibly organic in that there is often no outright nice/not nice options. Everything has been very well crafted from the characters to the scenery to the side quests. Any criticism about the game pales in comparison to the overall package and if those criticisms were never acted upon, the game would still win my favor on many levels.

That being said, there are some criticisms and - like many others - my biggest pet peeve thus far is the fleshing out of Triss and the character reactions regarding her in conjunction with the dialogue options that push you towards Yennifer at every possible turn.

I for one am fine with taking the creative work that someone wants to portray and not injecting my own wants too potently, and it feels so much like you wanted - originally at least - to simply make this a story about Geralt finding Yennifer and getting back together with her. I think that from a creative standpoint that makes sense and that you probably should have outright done that. If you did mean to have Triss as a viable option from the get-go, then I think you cut back quite a bit too much in the writing and dialogue for her. Either way would have been viable in my opinion: leaving triss without a romance option, despite what you know fans were going to want or adding her in as a very comparable path from Yennifer.

What we have here though is a kind of half-way point between the two, and it does two things:
1 - Having Triss as an unintended option left with a great amount of dialogue that pushes the player towards Yennifer, and I don't like feeling pressured to do one thing by the game itself when I want to personally do a different thing. Having to personally decide something not because I want to but because I want to get the best content out of the game pulls me out of all sense of immersion immediately and from then on, any time that decision comes up in any dialogue ever brings it right back to the forefront, making me more and more annoyed.
2 - It makes Geralt's character feel completely disingenuous. If Triss is indeed meant to be an equally viable potential, then why does he act so completely differently to these two characters who are supposed to ultimately fill the same role? When he's around Yennifer he acts like a lost puppy and Yennifer, being the Ice Queen, doesn't feel the slightest bit bad about that. His interactions with Triss on the other hand are very in character for him and it feels more organic that way. Now, if Triss weren't an option then it would be written off as just "That's how Geralt acts around a woman he loves," but when we can act out the two different scenarios side by side, then it just makes his character feel inconsistent which (again) eliminates immersion.

Ultimately, I am a bigger Triss fan than a Yennifer fan, but I support the creative decisions that the writers want to portray. I know there has been announcement that you're working on additional content regarding Triss to try and appease fans, and if you want to do that because you agree with them then that's great. That's editing at its finest - when you are unhappy with the way something played out and you want to do something to fix it. Good on you. However, if you are doing that just as a band-aid for the fans that are butthurt about it, then I am honestly not in favor of it. You should not have to kow tow to the players just because they whine about something that - in the end - is actually a small part of a really expansive, enormous environment. I don't want to convince anyone that something needs to be changed, I just want to have it recognized as something that had a fairly prominent impact on my enjoyment of the game repeatedly.

My conclusion is simply that I think you should go full bore or not at all with this kind of quandary in the future. Do what you want to do from a creative standpoint first. Worry about what fans want after and stick to your guns if some would have wanted it another way. If they want that, let them write their own story. When you try to meet them halfway, it just leads to complications. I find it difficult to believe that, with the depth and complexity of every character in this game, you guys just didn't meet par when it came to Triss.

2 - It makes Geralt's character feel completely disingenuous. If Triss is indeed meant to be an equally viable potential, then why does he act so completely differently to these two characters who are supposed to ultimately fill the same role? When he's around Yennifer he acts like a [size=+2]lost puppy[/size] and Yennifer, being the [size=+2]Ice Queen[/size], doesn't feel the slightest bit bad about that. His interactions with Triss on the other hand are very in character for him and it feels more organic that way. Now, if Triss weren't an option then it would be written off as just "That's how Geralt acts around a woman he loves," but when we can act out the two different scenarios side by side, then it just makes his character feel inconsistent which (again) eliminates immersion.
Shit, shit, shit

Btw, nice writing and welcome to the forum ^_^

You mean other bad choices in dialogues with her? Nah, didn't try it myself, there's no vital reason to act like jerk with a friend :)

Yep, there is no reason to upset her :upset: She still Geralt's best "friend" after all :cheers2:

Not on my playtrough i go with iorveth
But when Assire var Anahid decompress her she is completley naked where did she put rose ???

Feel like something wonderful just happen in my mind :smiling2:

Hey I just remembered to add something

- We should be able to intervene before Triss gets slapped by one of the temple guards, when we take her to Menger.
- We can intervene at many points, then why not before some whoreson hurts her?

Don't want anyone hurting her, well atleast as long as she is with us during the game ;)

2 - It makes Geralt's character feel completely disingenuous. If Triss is indeed meant to be an equally viable potential, then why does he act so completely differently to these two characters who are supposed to ultimately fill the same role? When he's around Yennifer he acts like a lost puppy and Yennifer, being the Ice Queen, doesn't feel the slightest bit bad about that. His interactions with Triss on the other hand are very in character for him and it feels more organic that way. Now, if Triss weren't an option then it would be written off as just "That's how Geralt acts around a woman he loves," but when we can act out the two different scenarios side by side, then it just makes his character feel inconsistent which (again) eliminates immersion.
You mistake the personality for role. They both may play the role of his loved one, but they are two completely different persons. He interacts with Yen that way because she is (and always was) the type of person who he has to "obey" to stay in good relationship with. The episode in Kaer Morhen may end with flying to the lake if he decides to act another way, if he decides not to apologize (for what he is not to blame for). So this behaviour is very natural because of her personality.
At the same time, Triss is the one he can speak on equal terms with. She wouldn't give Geralt a withering look for his joke, instead she would take it easy and even laugh a bit. With her he can be the same Geralt he usually is and it won't offend her.
It is not disingenuous, the same thing applies to the real life, where you can treat two of your friends in completely different manners, not because you like the first and don't like the other, but because they are such persons.

I played tw1 and tw2 before Reading any Book, I put myself in the place of Geralt and for some reason never trusted Merigold. Honestly.

I have sent Alvin to Shani. It was a huge surprise to wake up in a forced romance with Trissin tw2, really :)

Only by the end of the game I started to think she wasn't a two face snake.

So I would not trust her for cure me if I was Geralt.

But that was my very personal experience. Planescape: Torment has made me a paranoid player :)

There's a difference between your playthrough and the story. You may not have trusted Triss but there story leaves absolutely no doubt whatsoever that up until a certain point in the game, Geralt most certainly does. That is cast iron and no getting away from it. After a certain point, the story then allows more wiggle room in that.

Poor Dandelion.Triss' portrayal in the games may not be perfect,but it's still 10 times better than Dandi's :(

Go along with that. Dandelion in this game looked and acted like he was auditioning for the circus. He was a complete buffoon when compared to the other games with all the wit of a plank of wood.

Back to Triss, I wish people would stop saying Triss is in to appease Triss fans. There are very good continuity reasons why Triss is in the game and in a game that suffers erroneously from continuity issues. Even had they not wanted her in this game, it would have been better from a continuity stand point, to feature her in the prologue and write her out there (would have needed an entirely different prologue of course).

You mistake the personality for role. They both may play the role of his loved one, but they are two completely different persons. He interacts with Yen that way because she is (and always was) the type of person who he has to "obey" to stay in good relationship with. The episode in Kaer Morhen may end with flying to the lake if he decides to act another way, if he decides not to apologize (for what he is not to blame for). So this behaviour is very natural because of her personality.
At the same time, Triss is the one he can speak on equal terms with. She wouldn't give Geralt a withering look for his joke, instead she would take it easy and even laugh a bit. With her he can be the same Geralt he usually is and it won't offend her.
It is not disingenuous, the same thing applies to the real life, where you can treat two of your friends in completely different manners, not because you like the first and don't like the other, but because they are such persons.

Agree with your assessment, Geralt’s relationship with Triss is one where both partners are equal and honest about their feelings. From the get go it felt like Geralt has to switch from his normal personality to the personality that pleases Yen where as with Triss, his personality is all natural and genuine.

His relationship with Yen seems like a master pet relationship and his relationship with Triss seem more affectionate, loving and true. I have said this many times but IMO his feelings for Yen is more lust than love hence the constant breakups and reunions. His feelings for Triss even tho they weren't adequately explored in the book still left me thinking he was in love with her but could not break from Yen. In the game the dev really went out of their way to give us Triss as a viable option. In the W3 however, it seem like they somehow did not catch the inconsistencies until fans pointed them out. I like to believe it was an honest over sight.

@saladin1701

You talk like she played a part in the first two games, plus I don't recall there ever being emphasis on player choice.

^sarcasm for the sake of sarcasm

CDPR already gave their reason. And even as a triss fan, I would welcome fixes or additional dialogue for most of the characters. Especially if they are lacking. I wouldn't mind seeing more yen content or appearances of beloved characters in DLC. Especially since it is the final journey for geralt.

I responded to you because I agree with you but I just felt like adding a few of my own thoughts

Last edited:
His relationship with Yen seems like a master pet relationship and his relationship with Triss seem more affectionate, loving and true. I have said this many times but IMO his feelings for Yen is more lust than love hence the constant breakups and reunions. His feelings for Triss even tho they weren't adequately explored in the book still left me thinking he was in love with her but could not break from

Poor Geralt. Throughout the saga he really experienced internal drama, because he really loved only Triss and wanted to be with her, but by this cold bitch Yennefer he could not do that. He often wanted to confess love Triss, but he was afraid that when Yennefer finds out, she will turn him into a frog. Then there's that damn last wish ... One of the most tragic events in his life was the moment when they met together after a few years in Hirundum. Geralt then realized that he would never be with Triss and again hooked up with Yennefer only because of Ciri and the tragic last wish. Then, on Thanedd he had to confess her love, because she probably had forced him to do so through magic, but when he spoke the words "I love you, Yen," in his heart he cried and thought about Triss.

I'm sorry, I could not resist. :smile:

Poor Geralt. Throughout the saga he really experienced internal drama, because he really loved only Triss and wanted to be with her, but by this cold bitch Yennefer he could not do that. He often wanted to confess love Triss, but he was afraid that when Yennefer finds out, she will turn him into a frog. Then there's that damn last wish ... One of the most tragic events in his life was the moment when they met together after a few years in Hirundum. Geralt then realized that he would never be with Triss and again hooked up with Yennefer only because of Ciri and the tragic last wish. Then, on Thanedd he had to confess her love, because she probably had forced him to do so through magic, but when he spoke the words "I love you, Yen," in his heart he cried and thought about Triss.

I'm sorry, I could not resist. :smile:

:facepalm::thinking::facepalm2::eredinfacepalm::hai:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom