IODA copyright claim [Update]

+
IODA copyright claim [Update]

Hi fellow Witchers,

Remember back at 2011 April's conference last year? I promised people on the old forum I would record the stream for those who missed it. Now I received a message from youtube , someone (IODA) claimed copyright for sound content. I know I should have gone to Riverside instead, but they are just people who perform. Why should I bother them with these questions when they are on the road all time? Forum seems dead too.

It appears on their website that Riverside is included into their "label", but I'm not sure/convinced if they actually have the right to claim this content. Confirmation would be nice from those who are involved. Reason I'm asking this is because I rather remove a video than let them cash on ads if it goes to the wrong people. (I'm not using ads on any video)

Remember, this is actually a flash record of a livestream (Mousepointer). The sound quality is really bad.

Screenshot

I actually hear quite some awesome things from Poland btw. (ACTA stuff)

Greetings and

This type of shit happens with Youtube's automated system.

Contact Youtube using the resolution method included in whatever notification you got, and advise them this it's "fair use". Also contact CDPR support and let them know what happened.

By registering a dispute against the takedown, you will ensure that it gets reviewed by organic entities*. By bringing CDPR into it, it will increase the chances of ensuring that IODA back down, since CDPR presumably have an agreement with the rights owner to use this music for promo material, and, hopefully, this will extend to others uploading. By disputing, you should also be able to make sure it doesn't affect your Youtube "Good Standing".

I make use of music by an artist who freely makes his music available with a Creative Commons Attribution licence. He had a spate of incidents like this last year. A hundred people would use one of his pieces in their videos, and then some asshole would register one of these videos with the Youtube system and all of the others would suddenly get hit with false claims that the asshole owned the IP to the music. The real owner did get it resolved quite quickly when he found out what was happening.

(*I couldn't decide what to call them. "Humans" and "Sentient Beings" may or may not be accurate, since we're talking about record company executives here)

^ I agree. One time I uploaded a videogame trailer that I got from the game's official site. MTV sent a takedown notice because they had shown the trailer once during one of their videogame preview shows. I thought that was so ridiculous that they were claiming ownership of what is essentially a commercial for another company's product.

Anyway I've given up on Youtube and deleted my account. I never used it much anyway aside from a few game trailers, and a few videos that I made myself out of videogame footage. I decided it wasn't worth the headache of wondering if any of my videos would get accused of copyright infringement.

My husband and I have had three videos taken down at different times, twice with totally false claims (both of which were resolved in under a week), and one that was legally justifiable but unfortunate (the video used a track from a band's album. The band had actually offered its use to us, and featured the resulting video on their own website afterwards, but the copyright was owned by their record company and a couple of years later they objected. I should really have got permission in writing).

Thanks for the input so far. I give it another 24 hours before doing anything. Would be a shame to remove content that actually has to promote this game.

+upvotes

Mikhailrc said:
Thanks for the input so far. I give it another 24 hours before doing anything. Would be a shame to remove content that actually has to promote this game.

+upvotes

I suggest you respond quickly - it won't get fixed on its own.

IODA may have a claim that Youtube is bound to respect. Or they may not. Initiating a dispute is the way to get satisfaction, either way.

IODA claims to be an association of indy music distributors, which among other activities that it claims are beneficial to its members, places their music on Youtube and oversees infringement.

In practice, IODA attempts to steal its members' IP, by taking a nonexclusive license and then claiming infringement whenever it finds any use that IODA didn't sanction (and profit from). In fewer words, they are a copyright troll.

In terms of ownership, IODA is Sony.

Ouch.

Mikhailrc - if you're nervous about disputing it (although you shouldn't be), I'd be happy to re-publish it myself if you can get a copy to me. PM if you want to go by that route.

I just noticed the update.

Let us know what happens, and the offer to republish still stands if this doesn't get resolved. I hate copyright trolls.

Top Bottom