Talent Sheet does not appear during Meditation/Level-Up

+
Talent Sheet does not appear during Meditation/Level-Up

I found a similar thread that addressed the seemingly same problem, but I lost track of it. That is irrelevant however, because there was no closure to it anyway. So here's my take on the situation:My version is: The Witcher 1.5 (Enhanced Edition)I am running it on Windows XP Pro SP3.And my machine consists of an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, with dual ASUS EN9800GTX DK (setup for PhysX), with 2GB of RAM.The ProblemWhen starting the "tutorials" at Kaer Morhen at the beginning of the game, the first chance you get to level-up is when Vesemir officially tells you to, down in the Laboratory. A frequent problem I am having is that when I choose to rest via Vesemir, the message stating that I have "learned new talents" appears, the screen fades black, but then the Talent Sheet does not appear. The meditation simply ends, and I am expected to continue on.I have gotten as far as Level 3 without the Talent Sheet showing up. I know that I am still accumulating point for the Bronze Talents, because I got lucky with one level-up and every point that I hadn't used, was available for me to use (ended up with 9 of them for that level).I have thought of the idea that maybe I hadn't gotten enough EXP to officially level-up, but when I cursor over the "wolf" in the upper-left of the screen, and it tells me I am at Level 3, that obviously is not the situation.I have even gone as far as to completely delete all of my previous save-files, thinking there may be a bug there, but it doesn't always work.The duration of meditation does not have any effect on it either.Is/Has anybody had the same problem? And if you could please enlighten me as to how you fixed it?[EDIT] Attached the PC Wizard report...

read: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_tech_help_on_the_forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructeddo attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

tommy5761 said:
read: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_tech_help_on_the_forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructeddo attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )
Will do. The game doesn't crash, it just doesn't let me pick talents.

eternal83 said:
eternal83 said:
I`ll finish going through the report but until then you need to get the latest directx update hereand most likely the VC Redistributales here for 64 bit systems you need both X86 and X64 versionsI also see that your running older video drivers have you tried updating them as well as your sound drivers

tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
I`ll finish going through the report but until then you need to get the latest directx update hereand most likely the VC Redistributales here for 64 bit systems you need both X86 and X64 versionsI also see that your running older video drivers have you tried updating them as well as your sound drivers
I'm updating DirectX. I will not update my video drivers until nVidia decides to go back to stretching, instead of cropping, the viewing screen to fit on my TV. As for sound drivers, I'm using my on-board sound card.Quite honestly, the only problem with the game that I am having, is the Talent Sheet not showing up when it's supposed to. Everything else works as advertised, which is why I'm still trying to figure this out. So, beyond the possibility of it being a DirectX issue, I don't see what any of that other stuff has to do with poorly written game code. Maybe I am missing something, so would you be able to enlighten me to the connection?

eternal83 said:
I'm updating DirectX. I will not update my video drivers until nVidia decides to go back to stretching, instead of cropping, the viewing screen to fit on my TV. As for sound drivers, I'm using my on-board sound card.Quite honestly, the only problem with the game that I am having, is the Talent Sheet not showing up when it's supposed to. Everything else works as advertised, which is why I'm still trying to figure this out. So, beyond the possibility of it being a DirectX issue, I don't see what any of that other stuff has to do with poorly written game code. Maybe I am missing something, so would you be able to enlighten me to the connection?
Well i wouldn`t say it`s a poorly written game code for example if it was the "game" then every computer it was put on would have a problem as we all have the same game and the witcher runs great on my system . The only thing different is the hardware and drivers and software it has to interact with. I mean or am trying to say that maybe your av program or security suite software if you use any could have kept the game from installing correctly. In which case you would need to uninstall the game shutdown your av program and security suite programs and reinstall the game and patches and reenable said programs

tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
Well i wouldn`t say it`s a poorly written game code for example if it was the "game" then every computer it was put on would have a problem as we all have the same game and the witcher runs great on my system . The only thing different is the hardware and drivers and software it has to interact with. I mean or am trying to say that maybe your av program or security suite software if you use any could have kept the game from installing correctly. In which case you would need to uninstall the game shutdown your av program and security suite programs and reinstall the game and patches and reenable said programs
Ahh, I see now. That makes complete sense. I apologize for my "snippy" comment about the code, I've been under a bit of stress this weekend, and it's looking for an outlet for expression which I haven't been able to find yet.I will give a re-install a shot and see what happens. My only concern is that I bought it online, which means I had to download it, which I would guess means it has DRM on it. Using up licences needlessly does worry me.

eternal83 said:
Ahh, I see now. That makes complete sense. I apologize for my "snippy" comment about the code, I've been under a bit of stress this weekend, and it's looking for an outlet for expression which I haven't been able to find yet.I will give a re-install a shot and see what happens. My only concern is that I bought it online, which means I had to download it, which I would guess means it has DRM on it. Using up licences needlessly does worry me.
if it`s a digital download then maybe you can do a file integrity check first as that might save downloading the whole thing again

tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
His game isn't crashing. It's just not functioning properly. Will that generate an error log too? I mean, if the game generates an error log (ie: it recognizes there has been an error), won't it crash first?

Vilgefortze said:
His game isn't crashing. It's just not functioning properly. Will that generate an error log too? I mean, if the game generates an error log (ie: it recognizes there has been an error), won't it crash first?
not functioning properly generally won`t create an error log but a crash will create one. It`s just easier when asking for a PC Wizard report to include the ERR/LOG TXT from the witcher/system folder if there has been a crash

Vilgefortze said:
A simple reinstallation might do the trick. Or some patching.
sometimes you do need to do a reinstall but often times it`s a driver or software issue of which a reinstall won`t fix and if it`s a digital download ....well you can imagine that headache

tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
sometimes you do need to do a reinstall but often times it`s a driver or software issue of which a reinstall won`t fix and if it`s a digital download ....well you can imagine that headache
Be careful with what you say about digital downloads. I wouldn't have been able to buy the game if they didn't exist, because I couldn't find the retail box in any store. ;-)

eternal83 said:
Be careful with what you say about digital downloads. I wouldn't have been able to buy the game if they didn't exist, because I couldn't find the retail box in any store. ;-)[/QUOTE]No offense intended and i know what you mean about the store issue when the wife found mine it was the last one they had and i haven`t seen any other copies since. Were you able to verify the file integrity check through whatever service you use or are you redownloading the game completely ?

tommy5761 said:
tommy5761 said:
Be careful with what you say about digital downloads. I wouldn't have been able to buy the game if they didn't exist, because I couldn't find the retail box in any store. ;-)
No offense intended and i know what you mean about the store issue when the wife found mine it was the last one they had and i haven`t seen any other copies since. Were you able to verify the file integrity check through whatever service you use or are you redownloading the game completely ? [/QUOTE]Well Im glad I got 3 copys then

*facepalm* (this forum needs emotes)I can't believe it never occurred to me before to actually try MANUALLY opening the Talent Sheet to select my talents before hitting the hourglass to meditate. Problem solved...Now excuse me while I go bang my head on the wall for a few minutes...

eternal83 said:
*facepalm* (this forum needs emotes)I can't believe it never occurred to me before to actually try MANUALLY opening the Talent Sheet to select my talents before hitting the hourglass to meditate. Problem solved...Now excuse me while I go bang my head on the wall for a few minutes...
Dont feel so bad in my veary frist play I did the same thing

eternal83 said:
eternal83 said:
eternal83 said:
1. You couldn't find TW in a store? That's surprising.
eternal83 said:
2. If you have any leftover undistributed points, from a previous allocation, it does not open the skill tree again by itself, till another level-up is reached. However, sometimes even after a level-up, it does not pop-up by itself. Keep this in mind. I believed it to be a bug, but I doubt it has been fixed. Even my 1.5 version has that problem.

Top Bottom