1.06 do we still need to downclock our gpu?

+
what are you talking about? If your gpu is unstable and crashes why is it fault of the devs.
Because if you don´t downclock the graphics card the game usually crashes after few minutes with the error of ACCESS VIOLATION and a code. It doesn´t happen with any other game, but after downclocking no more crashes till now.

You never had to downclock the GPU if it was stable in the first place. 1.04 introduced a negative LOD bias, whereby the game loads a higher-quality-then-before texture set up close,which increased GPU load to some extent. The fact that yours crashes when OCd indicates that it never was stable to begin with, just no game pushed it so hard. Note that this is not the game's fault. I have seen CPU overclocks that could run Aida/Linpack/whatever you throw at it 24/7, and BSOD 2 minutes into FC4. I have seen the same with GPU OC. perfect performance-heat ratio, yet, it crashed five minutes into a particular game. I'm using a 980 STRIX with somewhat higher than average die quality (1376 Mhz factory boost OC) and have yet to crash once on TW3

I have moderately overclocked my MSI GTX980 Twin Frozr Gaming 4G OC (in other words: overclocked by default) and I've never experienced a single crash. Of course I don't know what values we're talking about (i.e. by how much you tweaked CPU clock and / or card memory).

Bottom line is: If the game keeps crashing your OC obviously is not stable. So sadly I agree with the others who told you that this is nothing the devs have anything to do with. If you don't know how to OC your card you'd best leave it as it is (unless you want to vastly reduce it's lifespan ofc)

Last edited:
Some games are sensitive to overclocks. It doesn't automatically mean the OC is truly unstable.

A lot of people have reported this game not responding well to Overclocks.

Some games are sensitive to overclocks. It doesn't automatically mean the OC is truly unstable.
In that event the most commonly used tools (MSI afterburner or EVGA precision X) offer multiple profiles

A lot of people have reported this game not responding well to Overclocks.

I don't intend on arguing with you over semantics but just cause many ppl say the game is sensitive to OC doesn't automatically make it true. Maybe the vast majority of these ppl pushed their graphics card too hard with their presets and that's the end of it.

Is it stable now to overclock?

Game was always stable to overclock. It depends entirely on how strongly and in what manner the program pushes it.

Witcher 3 just pushes your GPU harder in a different area (If I were to guess, I would put my money on shaders in W3) than any of your other games.

Every program has a different stable max O/C on any given type of silicone, be it RAM, CPU, GPU or whatever. The best example I can think of is with a Haswell CPU, I can run the XTU stress test for 24 hours straight at 4.8 ghz on my 5930K, but using Realbench to stress that same overclock I get Blue Screen of Death 10 minutes in and only get it to run stable 24 hours straight at 4.6 ghz.

This does not mean that Realbench is a bad program for stability testing a CPU. What it actually means is that XTU does a poor job of stability testing by not pushing it hard enough. Same principle here with W3 and GPU's. It's not that W3 is a bad overclocking program to test GPU stability, it means it does a better job of it than the other games do.

As a side note I can run Heaven 4.0, Valley 1.0 and Firestrike Ultra tests all day long at 1540 mhz on my GPU's, but in order to stay stable during Witcher 3 I have to drop my O/C down to 1495 mhz. I would hardly call 1495 mhz on a GPU that runs stock at 1000 mhz (boost to 1180 mhz) "being unable to overclock"

If you want to run the same overclock on W3 as in your other games you are going to have to add more voltage to your GPU or add some better cooling to them. If you are at max voltage and using a Peltier cooling set up running around -100 C* on your core, then you sir have found your max overclock for your GPU in W3.

Last edited:
My GPU's been overclocked since I purchased it. No intermittent crashing with Witcher 3. Game's more stable now at patch 1.06.

I wouldn't even consider overclocking as unfriendly to Witcher 3. Faulty gpu and unstable OC may be the culprits.

Same here MSI GTX970 gaming 4GB, OC core clock +140Mhz and memory +500Mhz, powerlimit at 110%
not crashing on patch 1.06 here, got 1 crash in 30 hours but that might nog be related to OC.

People with nV cards who are crashing can try 347.88 WHQL drivers. TDR crashing stopped for me. Been playing for a week+ with no crashes. Newer drivers all crash for me with "driver stopped responding" error. It's the Geforce drivers that are crap, not necessarily your cards, but definitely not the game.
Remember to use DDU to clean all files before installing the older driver.

I don't intend on arguing with you over semantics but just cause many ppl say the game is sensitive to OC doesn't automatically make it true. Maybe the vast majority of these ppl pushed their graphics card too hard with their presets and that's the end of it.

Well let's see... Your inflated sense of self-worth and anecdotal evidence for just yourself...

Versus literally dozens of threads and hundreds of pages of posts, with thousands of users complaining of crashes...

Get over yourself.

1.06 is stable because they capped the trees and grass fps at 30fps and that sucks.. Stay with 1.05 till a new version gets out.

Well let's see... Your inflated sense of self-worth and anecdotal evidence for just yourself...

Versus literally dozens of threads and hundreds of pages of posts, with thousands of users complaining of crashes...

Get over yourself.

I thank you for your candid advice given without knowing me at all. You definitely deserved the REDpoint I gave you for your ability to completely dissect my personality based on a single forum post. Thank you (I also thanked you for your post btw).

Might I add that if I were to add 500MHz to my memory offset (like I have read some ppl do) to an already (manufacturer's side) OC card I would not expect my card to run properly anymore (miracolously for me it appears to be working for the aforementioned user). What I'm trying to say is that there is overclocking and there is OVERCLOCKING. I'm running a very mild OC as my card is OC by default already and have not had a single crash in my over 80 hours of gameplay (I haven't played since 1.05 though as I'm still hoping they will be fixing the texture pop-ins at some point)

Last edited:
Usually game that utilizes hardware bad can run on a bad OC, demanding games that utilizes hardware optimal never can.
If the game crashes with your oc, it is a bad oc, not a game issue.

Top Bottom