A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a few small observations earlier, that I thought some may be interested in.

Firstly a few small tweaks for animations, that I'd like if people could help test.

Code:
[Behavior]
AnimatedComponentUpdateFrameSkip=false
SuppressAnimatedComponent=false
[Physics]
MimicsQuality=10

They seem to produce smoother animations (the top two for gameplay animations, and the botton one, for facial cutscene animations). Would be nice, if anyone wants to help test. To confirm, or deny.

------------------

ps: CDPR pls fix the wonky lighting. It's cheaply done, clearly cutting corners, by using pixel colour as a reference for luminance. Along with skin, geometry interaction, etc. It's clearly not PBR shading..

There's PBR shading done in very small locations in-game (Kaer Morhen, for instance). Most others have some watered down cheapo version.

I can get over the consolized textures/draw distance, lod, detail, etc. But the flat, lifeless lighting is too far. It's literally a negligible performance difference on a modern PC. But, consoles compute obviously didn't like it..

Thank you once again for digging these tweaks out, Asmodean! :D

Unfortunately, I tried them out and didn't notice an improvement at all. Animations actually seemed more sluggish and I was getting a lot of framerate fluctuations as well. I don't know if it's related or not, but since trying them I have had two instance in which my game crashed to desktop instantly while changing the in-game tabs between the "journal", "character", "inventory", etc. I've never had the game crash like this before, but it only happened in Novigrad from what I could tell! :(

Other than that, let's hope CD Projekt RED will include true PBR rendering in the Enhanced Edition of the game! ;)

This is an old post but wanted to inform you guys that we have a deband shader coming up on the next release of ReShade's Framework. Here are some screenshots to give you some idea. :) For best results see the screenshots as 1:1, because there is some additional dithering involved in debanding process. When scaling down browsers might still show slight banding.

This is a temporary shader fix until we implement a way to force the games to render in 10bit. Then it will be possible to do 10bit to 8bit dithering, which should give the most optimal results.

Wow, thank you ever so much for this, makine! You have no idea how long I have been using SweetFX's dithering, in hopes of getting rid of the horrible banding present in some games. I cannot wait for the next version of ReShade now! :D

I won't bother testing with my 16:10 display since the game changes the FOV for the worse when I use my native resolution but these numbers should be accurate for a cornered HUD. I found them in the comments section of some mod on the nexus.

16:9
Change uiVerticalFrameScale from 1 to 1.0650
Change uiHorizontalFrameScale from 1 to 1.0375
16:10
uiVerticalFrameScale=1.18
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1.04
21:9
uiVerticalFrameScale=1.05
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1.37

Thank you very much for these numbers, Saorise! If they do work well, then I will add them to the relevant section of the OP! ;)

Hi thanks for the guide!!!
is it noemal that when i do the shadow distance scaleb and texturemipmap changes my ingame options go from Ultra to Low?
and is it a menu bug or do i get the low settings in game?

No problem at all, I really appreciate your support! :D

Yes, it is perfectly normal for the settings to be shown as "Low" in the in-game options menu after you manually tweak them outside the game (e.g. via the "user.settings" file). As long as you do your tweaks, then leave the settings alone in the in-game options menu, the game will use your tweaked values, even though they are listed as "Low"! ;)

any progress on a mod for better graphics bc with this many posts i cant keep up and im lost!!! :huh:

Only thing you can do now to improve the graphics (but just for the colors/atmosphere side) is to use a Reshade preset or the Cutscene Lightning mod. Everything else is off-limits without RedKit (and it's even debatable, imo, the extent you can go also having the toolkit to work with as certain things are very difficult/impossible to do without having access to proper resources and practically outside the ability of the majority of modders).

https://github.com/hhrhhr/Lua-utils-for-Witcher-3

These Lua codes do not work for me i created all lua files but get error when compiling

HELP PLEASE

Those codes need LUA 5.3 and there's not yet a distributable version for Windows. You need to use Visual Studio (you can download the Express verions) to create a compiler for it:
http://blog.spreendigital.de/2015/01/16/how-to-compile-lua-5-3-0-for-windows/

EDIT:

It seems you are lucky. In that thread somebody already created a compiler for Windows and shared it. No need to do it yourself. Look at the messages there,, it's the second one.

Last edited:
Those codes need LUA 5.3 and there's not yet a distributable version for Windows. You need to use Visual Studio (you can download the Express verions) to compile the code:
http://blog.spreendigital.de/2015/01/16/how-to-compile-lua-5-3-0-for-windows/

Follow the instructions given in there.

You don't need to compile anything yourself. Just get the

LUA 5.3 Win32 Binaries... from

http://www.lua.org/download.html

direct download link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/luabinaries/files/latest/download?source=files

Edit:

you also need: lua-zlib

https://github.com/brimworks/lua-zlib

Last edited:
I just wana read redscripts files so i startet from the scratch...but fail?
Downloaded needed zlib and lua 5.3 archive and lua scripts but i dont know what to do next-.-
What do i need to do?

[video=youtube;dbs9du5-bYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbs9du5-bYE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
I just wana read redscripts files so i startet from the scratch...but fail?
Downloaded needed zlib and lua 5.3 archive and lua scripts but i dont know what to do next-.-
What do i need to do?

[video=youtube;dbs9du5-bYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbs9du5-bYE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

First use luac.exe to compile the lua file, this will generate a file named "luac.out", then you use the lua.exe command line interpreter and use the command "dofile" to start the output.

Example let's say you have a file named "try.lua" that you want to compile. You open a command prompt (where lua.exe and luac.exe are to be found) and write luac try.lua and press enter. This will generate a file named luac.out. Then you simply start lua.exe and when the prompt ">" appear you enter the line dofile "luac.out" then press enter and this will execute the compiled lua script.

In summary.

1. Open command prompt.
2. luac try.lua [enter]
3. lua [enter]
4- > dofile "lua.out" [enter]

Last edited:
First use luac.exe to compile the lua file, this will generate a file named "luac.out", then you use the lua.exe command line interpreter and use the command "dofile" to start the output.

Example let's say you have a file named "try.lua" that you want to compile. You open a command prompt (where lua.exe and luac.exe are to be found) and write luac try.lua and press enter. This will generate a file named luac.out. Then you simply start lua.exe and when the prompt ">" appear you enter the line dofile "luac.out" then press enter and this will execute the compiled lua script.

In summary.

1. Open command prompt.
2. luac try.lua [enter]
3. lua [enter]
4- > dofile "lua.out" [enter]

CMD says luac not found

CMD says luac not found

You must open a command prompt inside the directory where lua.exe and luac.exe are to be found (use the right mouse button to do this). You also need to put the lua scripts you want to compile in there.

Listen, I don't seriously know if you can do this if you don't either know what the instructions that I gave you before means. What do those scripts do anyway?

CMD says luac not found

you can't decompile the .redscript files with the lua tools.

the lua script "inspect_redscript.lua" is an very early version, it was commited 29 days ago and it doesn't work. The redscript files have already been decompiled though by Sir_Kane and the decompiled source code is available on the internet. I don't know if I should post that link here on the official forums though.

also, to use the other available .lua scripts all you need to do is

- download the binaries I linked earlier
- download the .lua tools
- copy the lua tools scripts into the binaries folder
- open a command prompt window and navigate to your extracted lua binaries folder that has the lua tools scripts in it
- type: lua53.exe inspect_w3speech.lua path_to.w3speech [output_dir [debug]]

or use the other examples provided on the lua tools github under instructions.

it's that easy.

edit: If you haven't done this before and no idea of what you're doing I don't see a reason why you're trying to do it anyway. All you can do is "inspect" or read stuff, you can't edit or change. There's nothing to be gained by this as of now since all the information you might be gathering can't be used as of now.

Last edited:
evrybody tells me i need lua 5.3 and lua zlib and inspect_redscript.lua to read the cooked.redscripts files....so thats what im trying to do <.<

i followed you instructions but same error as first post

http://www11.pic-upload.de/15.06.15/sat39qekkzb.jpg[\IMG][/QUOTE]

read again. you can't use inspect_redscript.lua to read cooked.redscripts files. the inspect_redscript.lua script isn't finished yet and doesn't work. you can't read the redscript files using the lua tools.

hence why there are no "instructions" on the github page on how to use inspect_redscript.lua - it isn't finished yet.

also your screenshot pretty much tells you what is wrong: "No Input" if you don't specify a .redscript file that the inspect_redscript.lua file should read, then it won't find anything to read.

Last edited:
so is any of these lua files working...

nowhere on the internet there is a tutorial for reading readscripts or strings files .... just the .bundlefiles there is a nice tutorial for...

so i wonder how some of the posters here can read .env .redscripts files q.q

read again. you can't use inspect_redscript.lua to read cooked.redscripts files. the inspect_redscript.lua script isn't finished yet and doesn't work. you can't read the redscript files using the lua tools.

hence why there are no "instructions" on the github page on how to use inspect_redscript.lua - it isn't finished yet.

also your screenshot pretty much tells you what is wrong: "No Input" if you don't specify a .redscript file that the inspect_redscript.lua file should read, then it won't find anything to read.

Apart this he either missed the input file for the lua script.

I cannot understand why ALL people want to inspect those files. Apart the fact that you cannot change nothing I can bet that 80% of those people would neither understand what's written in there, so what's the point? Probably they really think they can magically learn to change the graphics in the game just by running a lua script.

so is any of these lua files working...

nowhere on the internet there is a tutorial for reading readscripts or strings files .... just the .bundlefiles there is a nice tutorial for...

yes, the other scripts works just fine.

why would you need a tutorial anyway? If you know what you want to look at, the instructions make it pretty clear how you have to use it.

also cooked.redscript files have been decompiled by Sir_Kane for a while now and all classes, functions and methods used in the .redscript files are pretty much available on some sites. if you know where to look. send me a pm if you can't find it. I won't be the one posting the link to the decompiled code on the official forums.

---------- Updated at 06:51 PM ----------

Apart this he either missed the input file for the lua script.

I cannot understand why ALL people want to inspect those files. Apart the fact that you cannot change nothing I can bet that 80% of those people would neither understand what's written in there, so what's the point? Probably they really think they can magically learn to change the graphics in the game just by running a lua script.

This. Pretty much. What is the point in looking at the game's code if you can't get a simple lua script to run. You will be pretty much lost anyway.

edit:

Also on another note. A few weeks ago Skomski (the guy who released the debug-console) already released a simple script-loader that allows you to inject your own scripts you compiled with witcher 3's compiler. it does work on some functions, like ShowHud() and stuff like that, but pretty much crashes the game on everything else so far. :)

if you call that function in your own code you can pretty much code your own debug-console commands. i.e. showhud executes the custom function showhud that calls another function from the game called ShowHud(true); or the custom function called hidehud calls the same function ShowHud(false);

Hasn't been updated though for like 14 days. I think Skomski is on vacation and AFK for a while.

Last edited:
Also on another note. A few weeks ago Skomski (the guy who released the debug-console) already released a simple script-loader that allows you to inject your own scripts you compiled with witcher 3's compiler. it does work on some functions, like ShowHud() and stuff like that, but pretty much crashes the game on everything else so far. :)

if you call that function in your own code you can pretty much code your own debug-console commands. i.e. showhud executes the custom function showhud that calls another function from the game called ShowHud(true); or the custom function called hidehud calls the same function ShowHud(false);

Hasn't been updated though for like 14 days. I think Skomski is on vacation and AFK for a while.

That's really good to know. If even only scripts can be compiled and make to work a lot of things more can be done (practically many of the best mods are done almost entirely with good scripting). Let's hope he can fix the compiler to make all commands work as that would be fantastic already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom