A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems setting mip bias scale to 0, and entering the game, the commant line is no more in the user settings.....

Indeed, this has always been the case for me, at least. I don't know why CDPR thought this would be a good idea, but we've seen stranger things around here! ;)

If you ever set "TextureMipBias" to "0" and the line disappeared from your "user.settings" file, you can either move the in-game texture quality setting slider to either "High" or "Ultra", thus forcing the line to re-appear in the file with values of "-0.4" or "-1", respectively, or manually add the line back yourself, but with a value other than "0". :p

Last edited:
Not discounting the chance that it could just be my machine.. but i'm getting a really noticable improvement in smoothness (not fps) when running this mod..

No Talk Icon
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/339/?

I've only done comparisons in a few cities.. novigrad is running as smooth as silk, and the barracks in crows perch is much smoother. Just in case it helps anyone.

EDIT: I am getting insanely smooth fps with this addon.. with 8.2 and this my setup is getting fps ive never seen before in this game.

Will wait for someone else to confirm before blaming it on consoles and err, consoles :) Actually.. which players need frikkin visual prompts whenever they turn their heads? Its TRUE!! Its all TRUE!! :))

Last edited:
Just some extra data to recent findings..

For MeshRenderingDistanceScale, 3.0 was also a very good looking value for some approaches/scenes, but the cost was too high for my setup.. might not be for you!

I still suspect there's a gem there with the no talk icon addon.. I also have npc names turned off to get this state (so the only time the dialog appears is when they are in close range, immersion etc). The effect is at least as positive as the original initial file tweaks for smoothness improvement, hopefully again not just on my setup.

For one of those, i'm going to tweak instead of play mornings... also suggested try max prerendered at 2 instead of 1 like suggested on the first page...! :)

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea what the biggest FPS killers are, aside from Hairworks? Now I'm getting as low as 43 FPS around Velen even with Hairworks off. This is maddening. I wish I would have finished the game earlier now when the frame rate was better.

For the time cycle, You can use a console command. I think TM(0.01666667) is real time, but Ive found you have to enter it twice each time you start the game.

Since the last patch I get much worse performance. Before with HBAO enabled I got 50 FPS worstcase in the bog but now I get drops down to 40. Even with HBAO disabled I have drops into the higher 40s indoors sometimes. I have no idea what caused it.

Just some extra data to recent findings..

For MeshRenderingDistanceScale, 3.0 was also a very good looking value for some approaches/scenes, but the cost was too high for my setup.. might not be for you!

I still suspect there's a gem there with the no talk icon addon.. I also have npc names turned off to get this state (so the only time the dialog appears is when they are in close range, immersion etc). The effect is at least as positive as the original initial file tweaks for smoothness improvement, hopefully again not just on my setup.

For one of those, i'm going to tweak instead of play mornings... also suggested try max prerendered at 2 instead of 1 like suggested on the first page...! :)

I should lower MeshRenderingDistanceScale too, then :)
And I also had to set the max pre-rendered frames at 4 because my video card is crappy.

Since the last patch I get much worse performance. Before with HBAO enabled I got 50 FPS worstcase in the bog but now I get drops down to 40. Even with HBAO disabled I have drops into the higher 40s indoors sometimes. I have no idea what caused it.

Same here, I was getting 60 FPS 90% of the time at 1.08 but updating to 1.08.2 makes my FPS go way down to 30+ to 40.

Aite I'll try it later. Thanks

Yeah stay away from 355.60 since it caused some major crashing in GTA V as well. I noticed all it does is setup as a gameready driver for Ashes singularity game or whatever that thing is coming out. Also 355.60 has zero fixes whatsoever lol. I kid you not:

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 355.60
The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved
in this version. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this
driver version. The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.
Windows 10 Fixed Issues
 There were no fixed issues reported for this release.
Windows 8.1/Windows 8/Windows 7/Windows Vista Fixed
Issues
 There were no fixed issues reported for this release.

Also Windows 10 Nvidia SLI is broken entirely. So many games now have Memory leak when using SLI and even some games in borderless mode have memory leak as well.

Last edited:
I'd personally like to see some form of slow walk brought back to the game. Every time I try to play with the new Alternate A and Alternate B controls, the game feels sped up like Geralt is in a rush. No immersion what so ever. Wonder if it would be possible to bring back the ORIGINAL controls in an optional patch for those of us that enjoyed the game before patch 1.07.

353.30 user here, no FPS drops after patching to 1.08.2

So that would indicate that 355.60 is causing FPS drops with newest update. Interesting wouldn't surprise me though. Considering I was getting hard lockups in everything with the latest Nvidia drivers. Know that SLI in windows 10 is pretty much broken due to Memory leaks in every game that uses SLI. And that is with any drivers. Except I have been told people have downloaded the 8.1 windows drivers on windows 10 and had no issues unless I misread that on nvidia forums.

---------- Updated at 03:23 PM ----------

I'd personally like to see some form of slow walk brought back to the game. Every time I try to play with the new Alternate A and Alternate B controls, the game feels sped up like Geralt is in a rush. No immersion what so ever. Wonder if it would be possible to bring back the ORIGINAL controls in an optional patch for those of us that enjoyed the game before patch 1.07.

You have to checkmark alternative movement in Settings for it to be turned on. Though they did say Patch 1.08 did do some tweaking on regular movement of horses and stuff. I personally noticed much better control on Gamepad and have no issues. You could do the following:

To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement using either a controller or mouse and keyboard, navigate to your "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc" folder, open "platformgameplay.ini" with a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and tweak the following variable as shown:
LeftStickSensitivity=1.0 except make this to LeftStickSensitivity=0.7 or lower and if that isn't too slow enough for movement then try setting it lower :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom