A new interview with Adam Badowski

+

Aver

Forum veteran
Kodaemon said:
It's likely. Consoles are sold at dumping prices at launch, they need the money from higher game prices sales to get a profit.

Don't worry. PC will get higher prices too. If you like so much prices in PLN then check what prices Ubisoft announced for Watch Dogs in Poland. Suggested prices for consoles 199PLN. Suggested price for PC - 179PLN. Have you ever seen so expensive PC game in Poland (other than MMO)? ;)

PC will always be cheaper due to digital distribution and more free market competition. Sorry Aver, but you are plain wrong on this.

Aver said:
Don't worry. PC will get higher prices too. If you like so much prices in PLN then check what prices Ubisoft announced for Watch Dogs in Poland. Suggested prices for consoles 199PLN. Suggested price for PC - 179PLN. Have you ever seen so expensive PC game in Poland (other than MMO)? ;)/>
No one would buy it at 179 pln. in poland.

Aver

Forum veteran
slimgrin said:
PC will always be cheaper due to digital distribution and more free market competition. Sorry Aver, but you are plain wrong on this.

I would actually say that digital distribution make games more expensive. Yes, during sales prices are amazing, but compare prices standard prices of digital games and boxed games half year and more after release. Boxed versions takes place on shelves and there is pressure to sell them and make room for more games.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/hitman-absolution/91071
http://store.steampowered.com/app/203140/

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/far-cry-3/91356
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220240/

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/xcom-enemy-unknown/98947
http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

slimgrin said:
No one would buy it at 179 pln. in poland.

Diablo 3 - 199PLN. Best selling game ever in Poland.

Uh, the highest price for Watch Dogs PC I can find is 129 PLN. I have seen 179 PLN prices before though.

On Gram.pl there is note "Price may change". Their price is placeholder.

Muve.pl has official price as their distributor and it is 179 (159 for preorder). Same price you can find on official site of Ubisoft Poland.

Diablo 3 - 199PLN. Best selling game ever in Poland.

It's Diablo, you don't make an argument about average sales and prices using a Blizzard game when they are clearly the exception rather then the rule.

With regards to the examples you gave, what happens months down the line is less significant then what is at launch and at launch nowadays for the vast majority of games PC is cheaper. Later down the line you get sales which are much better for PC then consoles.

It boggles my mind how retarded one can be to buy fucking diablo 3 for 200 zł. Anyway im used to prices like 100-70 zł max when im buying games. In comparison console games prices are... intimidating. Still overpriced but here:
http://www.ceneo.pl/11450919

Aver

Forum veteran
Sirnaq said:
It boggles my mind how retarded one can be to buy fucking diablo 3 for 200 zł. Anyway im used to prices like 100-70 zł max when im buying games. In comparison console games prices are... intimidating.

Well, I agree in Poland there is significant difference in pricing. On western market not so much.

Still overpriced but here:
http://www.ceneo.pl/11450919

Of course now you can buy it cheaper, but on release it was everywhere 199 and you couldn't find it anywhere because it was already sold out and you had to wait weeks for it.

The better question is asking how retarded one has to be to buy Call of Duty every year for a price similar to that />

I mean Blizard releases games only every few years and they have a very strong and very fanatical loyal fanbase.

Aver: It's still 10 dollars most of the time.

Digital will always be cheaper for the distributor and that will get passed along to the customer. The same thing is happening to the publishing industry. Not having to print books is cheaper for everyone - the publisher, the author, the consumer. Until consoles adopt digital 100%, they will never be cheaper and even then they have MS and Sony to deal with. PC gaming has no anchors. That's why I got AC2 for 8 USD, or Hard Reset for 30 USD at launch.

PC has to deal with steam and to a lesser degree Origin and GoG, well most PC games that is, which take a cut on a similar level to Sony and MS as far as I understand.

Aver

Forum veteran
CostinMoroianu said:
Aver: It's still 10 dollars most of the time.

Yes, usually there is 5-10$ of difference (but not always). On other hand often in Gamestop you can buy used game on release day 5$ cheaper and if you, like me, don't have time to play through all the games that are being released, then you appreciate fast devaluation of games showed in earlier post.

Aver

Forum veteran
ReptilePZ said:
I'm glad to see the conversation devolved into this.

Don't worry, we can get it even lower. We can start discussing about why game X is better than game Y. Those discussions are always very colorful.

CostinMoroianu said:
you will have to forgive me for this but your knowledge on PC parts and pricing isn't exactly the best.

It's not and that's the point.

I am not interested in knowing, because I have a million other things to worry about. I'd rather just buy a machine, plug it and play, without having to do research and worry about which parts to buy and how to install them.

So again, convenient.

Aver said:
Don't worry, we can get it even lower. We can start discussing about why game X is better than game Y. Those discussions are always very colorful.
By all means, go for it.

KnightofPhoenix said:
It's not and that's the point.

I am not interested in knowing, because I have a million other things to worry about. I'd rather just buy a machine, plug it and play, without having to do research and worry about which parts to buy and how to install them.

So again, convenient.

And I didn't disagree with the assessment that consoles are convenient, there are however some retailers that will make good premade PCs for you at decent prices.

Aver

Forum veteran
ReptilePZ said:
By all means, go for it.

Nope, I already have got two warning for it (and another one for something different). I don't know how much more I can get before I will be banned :D.

slimgrin said:
PC gaming is very very expensive that's why I picked Sniper Elite V2 last night for 5$ on steam . 5$ wow that's really expensive for a AAA title right .? PC being expensive is just a myth . PC allows games at dirt cheap prices . Having collection of 60$ boxes and showing it to friends is out dated . Sell your 60$ games and you'll have a great gaming PC and then you'll be getting cheaper than any platform . So I agree with you , in long run PC is the most comfortable platform .
Was disappointed by Adam's answer about PC , CDPR have lot to learn about marketing and what to say and what not .

Digital distribution is obviously pushing out other types for games. It's only a matter of time until boxed "off the shelf" games will become history or will be available only in a very limited amount.

That's why it's important for DRM free channels like GOG to grow, since currently the biggest one (Steam) is still afflicted with DRM. It's way better than situation with video though, where only DVDs are the decent DRM free media (i.e. DRM on DVDs is trivially removable). All digital distribution methods for video are DRM afflicted.

Consoles are objectionable for other reasons than just being less powerful than PCs. Consoles (at least the current breed) are restricted and controlled, with all kind of sick DRM built into the hardware itself. In contrast PCs still remain an open platform. Microsoft and the like attemt to lock PCs up as well (that's the whole UEFI secure boot, where MS got a huge leverage with being virtually the single signing authority). Luckily so far this "secure boot" is still optional, but that's because there was pressure on MS. They naturally want to be in full control. With advance of Linux on the desktop there will be push to preserve PC as an open platform. In consoles - I doubt that will happen any time soon. Upcoming Valve's Steambox can be more open, but since they use DRM in Steam and aren't principally anti DRM, I don't expect it to be open completely.

Top Bottom