A word about the quitters here...

+
A word about the quitters here...

Its so annoying to here about all the "I'm going to cancel my pre order" threats going on here, for the silliest things ever. So here's my opinion on the matter1.) DRMSo the retail version has SecuRom. But they said its not going to be intrusive like that of Spore/Mass Effect. And more importantly, there going to attempt to remove it after release. But if don't like that at all, just get the GOG version- no DRM. And while Steam is a form of DRM, I'd say it does more to benefit the player than hinder them (and you can play offline, so stop saying you have to be logged in everytime).2.) Aspect RatioI can understand your frustration but is it THAT hard to switch to an alternative resolution for the TIME BEING until they properly patch it? If I'm not mistaken, I believe the TW1 had an aspect ratio problem at launch... (funny thing, is that the DRM was removed later as well! What a coincidence!) 3.) Gamepad Support, Radial Wheel, and "unwieldy" menus...So people are complaining that developers are giving gamers a choice in controls? Believe or not, there are many PC gamers that prefer using a gamepad. And the same goes for the radial wheel. A PC exclusive that never made it to consoles, Crysis 1, had native gamepad support and a use of the radial menu. And since that never made it to consoles, you can't say that game was dumbed down for a different audience when they only intended for 1 audience...I would comment more, such as the redesigned combat system , but thats just a matter of opinion...and I'd have to play the game myself to argue there...So yeah, is there anybody here that will be able to reason enough to stick with their pre orders? All these canceled pre order threats are really annoying....

I agree with you completely. However, there will always be hostile people that always threatening and demanding it to be fixed before release or else they will, cancel pre-order and even pirate it. It's really disappointing when i see such replies. There's nothing much you and i can do about it. There's always reasonable and unreasonable people around.

I'm conflicted here on whether to buy from GOG or from steam. I like the achievements thing but I also want to support the developers the most because they worked so hard. But then theres the sneak attack DRM from the patching system which undermines GOG's stated mission of being DRM free..I'm uber confused

What manner of "sneak attack DRM" exists?Distributing patches only to those who are entitled to receive them is not DRM.

GuyN039wah said:
What manner of "sneak attack DRM" exists?Distributing patches only to those who are entitled to receive them is not DRM.
To stay true to being DRM free, GoG customers should receive stand-alone patches for future updates.

I cancelled my preorder for the Collector's Edition thanks to the limited activations and the fact that I'd have to revoke my installation prior to deinstalling it. That's just unwieldy and annoying, does not serve fighting piracy and, as such, I will not support it.Instead, I'm probably going to get the game on Steam, which has pretty great benefits and is a lot more user-friendly. Perhaps, I'll get the game on GOG to support the devs more, although that means losing the Steam benefits. Uncertain about those.Still, I think it's fair game to complain about the used DRM in the retail version (just as it's fair game not to like Steam, for example) and let the developer and publisher know about it.As for the other things: I haven't played the game yet, but disregarding the game because of the shape of a menu seems pretty stupid... and the aspect ratio issue, IMO, is just blown out of proportion. On my monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, that means I'll have 60 pixels of black below and above the game. Does that really matter? Is it a game-breaker? No... and it's probably going to be addressed in a patch sooner or later, if it can't be easily fixed by manually changing the resolution in some ini-file. It is puzzling they don't support 16:10 from the start, but not a huge deal to me.

freakie1one said:
freakie1one said:
I cancelled my preorder for the Collector's Edition...
Congrats! Can someone get this man a prize?
But he mentioned he is getting it on steam though.. But i would have want the CE version eventhough for the minor DRM. CDPR track record has always been positive. They kept to their promises and i heard even they remove Tages DRM from TW1, although i don't have and never played TW1 before. I'm not doubting them to not remove it in TW2 later.

I hate apologists like you, because you are the reason behind the current state of the industry. People spit in your face and you thank them and ask for more.I didn't cancel my pre-order for TW2, but many things indicate that this will be the last CDP Red game I buy.

archaven said:
But he mentioned he is getting it on steam though..
Yes, I'm leaning towards Steam because that's a DRM system that doesn't get in my way, doesn't need me to revoke an installation or other nonsense like that and, on top of that, actually has benefits for me as a gamer.Still, I dislike the system they used for the retail version and therefore cancelled my Collector's Edition, no matter how much I would have liked the additional stuff in it.
archaven said:
CDPR track record has always been positive. They kept to their promises and i heard even they remove Tages DRM from TW1, although i don't have and never played TW1 before. I'm not doubting them to not remove it in TW2 later.
One game is not much of a track record, to be honest. Also, decisions about the DRM probably were made by the publisher, not the developer. About keeping their promise: Many people took the statements of the CDPR CEO regarding DRM as kind of a promise about the DRM used for The Witcher 2... so one could argue they broke that promise, probably because they couldn't find a publisher who would see it through with them.I've just been burnt too often by game publishers to rely on a promise, to be honest.

matches81 said:
One game is not much of a track record, to be honest. Also, decisions about the DRM probably were made by the publisher, not the developer. About keeping their promise: Many people took the statements of the CDPR CEO regarding DRM as kind of a promise about the DRM used for The Witcher 2... so one could argue they broke that promise, probably because they couldn't find a publisher who would see it through with them.I've just been burnt too often by game publishers to rely on a promise, to be honest.
I believe CDPR has lived up to their supposed "promise". I suggest you reread what they said. They've not gone against anything they've said in their statements. To summarize CDPR said: "we believe making quality products and taking care of the customer are better ways to fight piracy than aggressive DRM". This doesn't promise to not use DRM, it simply says they realize that DRM won't stop people from pirating the game; and that they realize it's more effective to give people reasons to want to buy the game instead of pirate it.Well, I believe they are making a quality product with TW2 and I also believe they are taking care of the customer by making a DRM free version available for those who dislike DRM. They've also said they're not going to release small DLC to milk customers for money. Look what CDPR did with TW1. Free EE = taking care of the customer. Planning on removing DRM from TW2 = taking care of the customer.

I will tell you a short story.When I played the Witcher 1, I made it through act 4. Unfortunually, there was Assassin's Creed, and I've been completly invaded by that game. So I left the Witcher on my shell, telling me "I MUST finish that game, it's just too good.".And I didn't. The time pass, and in 2011, today, there's no great game that interess me. Then I preordered the game : I had 110% full confidence about CDPR, this is very rare of me (I did not saw one thing from the game except the basic trailer). Only a few selected dev team have my full confidence : Rockstar, CCP and CDPR, especially the last two, because on top of their quality products, they have a marketting philosophy that I love.So I tried to reinstall the Witcher before TW2. But that failed. My CD was burned by the sun : I was stupid enough to put out of the box for monthes. I should have known that the Witcher is a shadow lover.So I rebought it on Steam. That made me think "digital distribution : what a great service". Yes, of course, digital distribution let you save your games forever.Until...Well, until Steam closes. If they close their shop, you're screwed.So there's no 100% great ways to fully be sure that your games will be there forever and, by the same time, that your have all the service you'd like, like multi-nstall, lending your game to your friends...

DRM- you will still have to install securom , you can find everything about it in www.reclaimyourgame.com , it ruins your drive and installs into the highest priority of your windows , intrusive or non intrusive it is securom . If you have visited their site a couple of years ago they had "data collection" on plain view , tho this was removed later there is still a chance that this software calls home.I am not against DRM but they could use something less shitty Data Aspect - just accept that it sucks , i am not watching cinemascope movies of the 60's and it will be very hard for me to play a game with black bars above and below , also it points that the game is not specifically made to be played by the most common type of PC monitors.The Rest - game looks and feels consolised , developer's statements , videos showing pads and even screenshots point to the fact that this will be multiplatform , you have to understand that some people (like me) get sick by anything that has to do with consoles and a game not primarily made to be played by mouse and keyboard is suspicious of major suckedome Previews - dunno if this is only me but i haven't read so many of them since the oblivious abomination , for dedicated RPG players hype works in reverse too much of it makes us questioning the product before even play it.Combat - i read here and there that it is streamlined , well streamlining in RPGs is #2 cause of fail only second to consolisation .I have nothing against hard working people making some extra cash but i hate to be played like that with conflicting statements in the media while the game does not look like PC exclusive .Of course i can be wrong, actually i hope i am wrong.

Alalzia said:
DRM- you will still have to install securom , you can find everything about it in www.reclaimyourgame.com , it ruins your drive and installs into the highest priority of your windows , intrusive or non intrusive it is securom . If you have visited their site a couple of years ago they had "data collection" on plain view , tho this was removed later there is still a chance that this software calls home.I am not against DRM but they could use something less ****** Data Aspect - just accept that it sucks , i am not watching cinemascope movies of the 60's and it will be very hard for me to play a game with black bars above and below , also it points that the game is not specifically made to be played by the most common type of PC monitors.The Rest - game looks and feels consolised , developer's statements , videos showing pads and even screenshots point to the fact that this will be multiplatform , you have to understand that some people (like me) get sick by anything that has to do with consoles and a game not primarily made to be played by mouse and keyboard is suspicious of major suckedome Previews - dunno if this is only me but i haven't read so many of them since the oblivious abomination , for dedicated RPG players hype works in reverse too much of it makes us questioning the product before even play it.Combat - i read here and there that it is streamlined , well streamlining in RPGs is #2 cause of fail only second to consolisation .I have nothing against hard working people making some extra cash but i hate to be played like that with conflicting statements in the media while the game does not look like PC exclusive .Of course i can be wrong, actually i hope i am wrong.
So all those people who play flight sims use a mouse and keyboard as controllers never thinking of picking up a joystick? Ive played all assassin creed's on the PC with a 360 controller and you know what? Its 100% better for me because I can kick back with my feet on the desk and enjoy it,Also your argument about the game being consolizes is bullxxx .How does a game look consolized? Graphics? No because it looks as good or better then anything out right now.Controls? please, wile some games work better with mouse/keyboard like FPS some are just the same with a controller.but some work badly like RTS with a controller.Menus? /facepalm...Let me just state for the record that I am not a PC gamer or a console gamer but just a gamer.Things do not have to be so unintuitive that few people have the patience to get through the control scheme or menus from hell.So what if it is ported to the consoles.Are you so elitist that you do not want everyone to play a fantastic game?

Gerrard said:
I hate apologists like you, because you are the reason behind the current state of the industry. People spit in your face and you thank them and ask for more.I didn't cancel my pre-order for TW2, but many things indicate that this will be the last CDP Red game I buy.
This did make me chuckle...Criticise someone harshly for being an apologist, but you're so angry about DRM, you're still buying the game?Fine double standards there sir!*salutes*

Xagnos said:
Its so annoying to here about all the "I'm going to cancel my pre order" threats going on here, for the silliest things ever.
Silly according to you. Other people are entitled to their opinions too, no?
1.) DRMSo the retail version has SecuRom. But they said its not going to be intrusive like that of Spore/Mass Effect. And more importantly, there going to attempt to remove it after release. But if don't like that at all, just get the GOG version- no DRM.
I am getting the GoG version. Still, I'm not going to excuse the DRM. What's in place is bad enough.
2.) Aspect RatioI can understand your frustration but is it THAT hard to switch to an alternative resolution for the TIME BEING until they properly patch it?
Brilliant... Except it's idiotic. LCD monitors only have one native resolution. Still, I expect the game to be be tolerable on my 16:10; but again: I'm not going to excuse this flaw due to some misguided fanboy-ish tendencies.
So yeah, is there anybody here that will be able to reason enough to stick with their pre orders? All these canceled pre order threats are really annoying....
So tune it out. I have; meaning this topic of yours annoyed me more than any such "threat" has in a long while. Congrats.

Cyberfrog said:
So yeah, is there anybody here that will be able to reason enough to stick with their pre orders? All these canceled pre order threats are really annoying....
So tune it out. I have; meaning this topic of yours annoyed me more than any such "threat" has in a long while. Congrats.
+1

heathxxx said:
heathxxx said:
This did make me chuckle...Criticise someone harshly for being an apologist, but you're so angry about DRM, you're still buying the game?Fine double standards there sir!*salutes*
I couldn't care less about this DRM, because I am not an idiot, there are more important things at hand.Are you 13 or something? Go back to 4chan and take your ****** image macro with you.

Cyberfrog said:
Cyberfrog said:
Its so annoying to here about all the "I'm going to cancel my pre order" threats going on here, for the silliest things ever.
Silly according to you. Other people are entitled to their opinions too, no?
1.) DRMSo the retail version has SecuRom. But they said its not going to be intrusive like that of Spore/Mass Effect. And more importantly, there going to attempt to remove it after release. But if don't like that at all, just get the GOG version- no DRM.
I am getting the GoG version. Still, I'm not going to excuse the DRM. What's in place is bad enough.
2.) Aspect RatioI can understand your frustration but is it THAT hard to switch to an alternative resolution for the TIME BEING until they properly patch it?
Brilliant... Except it's idiotic. LCD monitors only have one native resolution. Still, I expect the game to be be tolerable on my 16:10; but again: I'm not going to excuse this flaw due to some misguided fanboyistic tendencies.
if people are going to cancel their pre-order good for them. I don't need to know about it and don't care about it, 'cause i come to this forum looking for info not to know why people are cancelling their pre-orders. But its the only thing i seem to find and its becoming rather annoying. People are entitled to their opinions though...

Top Bottom