Alchemy and Crafting Thread

+
i think they need greatly reduce availability of Dwarven Spirit.. it is laying around everywhere..so you never have to buy any of it, and it makes potion refiling no brainier..
I personally liked the potion system in W1, where alcohol was needed for every potion, while being quite costly so every single penny mattered..
I'm making a mod right now that will include a change so that you would only be able to restock you potions and bombs with Alkahest and White Gull while also increasing Alkahest's price and tweaking its recipe to require less pricy alcohol (timerian rye and nilfgaardian lemon) but more herbs. I will also try to significantly decrease its drop chance. This mod will include a number of other alchemy-related changes so I'm not sure when it will be done, but if anyone wants to do the same on their own you simply need to delete strongalcohol tag from selected items in def_item_edibles.xml. Sadly, I don't see a way of making bombs and potions to require different items to restock.

I actually don't have a huge problem with the leveling system. Geralt is an amazing fighter, but, no matter how talented you are, monsters are no joking matter. Even Vezimir was injured by a Royal Griffin in the prologue. These beasts are dangerous. That said, it does break immersion a bit knowing that I'm supposed to be an elite fighter who can kill a Royal Griffin in White Orchard, but can't kill a pack of Nekkers in Velen. I guess I'm just not sure what the alternative would be in an open world game like this. You could, perhaps, make his skills more reliant on gear stats.

Which brings me to my second point - the level capped gear is necessary given the current format for the game, otherwise, you can find high level gear and diagrams in Novigrad that would just wipe the floor with lower level enemies early on. I also think the leveling format and gear capping is built into every part of the game, from main questing to side questing and even scavenging to a degree. I don't really see them adjusting this because it would be a mass overhaul of the game's foundation. I agree it breaks immersion but the game also needs a bit of balance given the way designed it.

Quite frankly, I don't see much of this changing. They would've had to do something different from the get go, and probably would've had to make the game more linear by design. That's why more linear games can control your gear access and enemy difficulty because the game decides when you have access to better gear and weapons.

The only fix that comes to my mind would enemy scaling based on Geralt's level, but, a lot of people hate that because it can break immersion to a degree, as well.

---------- Updated at 10:08 AM ----------

One change I would like to see, which I've brought up in other threads, is a return to more accessible craftable armor sets. Take Ursine armor, for example. Currently, the most basic set is available at level 20, which is more than halfway through the game. The mastercrafted version is unavailable until level 34. That means some of the best armor in the game is really only accessible when the player is just a couple of missions away from finishing the entire game.

For context, this is my second playthrough and I'm on Death March. I completed all the side quests and contracts I could that rewarded XP and weren't gray, and arrived at the Sunstone Quest at level 33. I really, really wanted to have more time to play with that gear. So, I grinded one cyclops for about ~20 minutes over and over until I hit 34. It was either that or run around clearing "?" for a few hours, more than likely. However, now, I'm done with all the quests and am about to start the final mission. This is disappointing to me.

I'm not sure why they upped the levels - perhaps it was because of how good the gear is. Well, I have a fix.

- Make Ursine armor accessible at level 16, and slightly lower the accessibility to other craft gear sets (if those were raised too - I haven't looked).
- Lower the stats on the basic set, and as Geralt gains a level, slightly buff the stats on that gear until Geralt hits level 21.
- At level 21, Geralt can craft Enhanced Ursine, and then each level beefs up the gear again to a max level of 26. Then, 26-31 is the same for Superior, and then Mastercrafted is the same until a capped level of 35 or 36.

It's either that, or, the devs could just return the gear levels to what they were and slightly lower the stats, while maintaining the stats of the mastercrafted gear. The person wielding the sword/gear still matters more than the sword/gear. It's silly that I'm almost done with the entire game and just now got access to the best gear.

Hello guys. This is my thought on the matter.

I completed the game on broken bones without crafting nor buying any weapon nor armour until i hit 30 lvl and crafted complete feline armour and ursine swords. I simply had better random loot all around, and sold all i could haul around. I never got the difference between light medium and heavy armour, so i just went for the best stats, and i also like the dismembering chance.

ALL THE SUGGESTIONS I AM MAKING COULD BE SET ON A EVEN HIGHER DIFFICULTY SETTING, OR A MOD.

As far as crafting is concerned i would like that:

- armorers and weaponsmiths would craft their relevant items for their level DOWN. This means that a master crafter can craft EVERYTHING, not just master items, and journeyman can do journeyman and amateur items.

- i would like to see level capped items removed. a sword is a sword, you dont use it any differently from any other sword. Also geralt is a hundred year old fighter, proficient in everything that ends lives. It is silly to have 6 swords with fancy elven names and your best weapon is a dull axe you cant even use because it's capped. Same goes for armors. Also i find lame having the same weapon names used indifferently for level 5 and level 25 items. How can a novigrad sword inflict 20 and 180 HP? Just give powerful loot to high level foes, and thats the extent of all you need to prevent giving a 20 level sword to a 5 lvl witcher.

- On this matter, i also find it pretty silly having the same enemies being indifferently level 5 and 10 and 20. A wolf is a wolf. A ghoul is a ghoul. And honestly Geralt is Geralt. He regaind his memory, he is the killing machine of yore, the butcher of blaviken. He doesnt need level up anymore, he is what he is. He knows all the signs, he knows his potions. And if there's something he doesnt know he's not going to learn it in a couple of weeks in the wilderness, unless he finds something revealing like a schematic (or a Skyrim's thu'um sort of stuff you absorb by seeing)

- Alchemy. Pretty useless and confusing, which made me to avoid it as much as possible. The game is pretty easy as it is, and there's just too much different stuff yopu can loot or take from destroyed equipment. I just crafted bombs for nest clearing and contract requirements. There's too many elements around, which i compulsively looted around the world because you never know, but i never got what was needed for what, nor the fact that all you needed to remake a potion is just alchool, and not the elements you needed to make it in the first place. I just used some oil when i faced some monster that was 7-8 lvl above me and could not (or couldnt bother) to kill it on horseback. I wish alchemy was a more tactical choice to take before a fight (together with eating food: plain silly munching berries while you fight), and that taking a potion takes you time to gulp and time to take effect, like in the cinematic trailer "A night to remember". Also i wish you needed all the ingredients all the time, and the more you make the more you need to meditate, and that there where some kind of Herbarium in the menu where ingredients would be listed with their characteristics and lilely places to find them.

This is it. Thanks for reading :)

Not going to argue about swords, as the witcher kit *isn't* substantially better than alternatives, but if you think you had "better" looted armours for fighting monsters than the witcher sets, optimally used, then you misunderstand how armour works in the game.

The "Armour" value is the least useful part of the armour definition (0-450 ish over the course of the game).. but you are being hit by some *normal* creatures by upwards of 3000 damage at a time** and even more from some Redskull overlevelled types.... so a small increase in damage resistance is *far* more useful than the raw armour value. Most armours you find have *no* protection against monsters or elemental damage... and the dlc sets have some, but not a huge amount.

Planning ahead and using appropriate armour types for the *main* threat you will face is definitely worthwhile, and this means a combination of different witcher sets and the highest level dlc you can equip if you want to maximise protection, depending on whether you are facing monsters or humans.

Obviously though, where resistances are the same, the flat armour value has utility *except* against attacks using "elemental" style, where it is Only resistance that counts.

Question: Does anyone know how to make decotions add toxicity? I've trying playing around with the def_item_alchemy_mutagens.xml file but i'm can't seem to make any progress. Any tips?

Many people have stated that the alchemy system, while convenient, is less immersive and detracts form the "Witcher" experience presented in in the other games. Considering that all other aspects of a Witcher's work are handled so well (investigate, Witcher senses, etc.), it's a real shame that alchemy is approached so casually. My suggestions to remedy that:
- Remove auto refill (or make it optional) and make potions, oils, bombs, etc. consumables, akin to the alchemy system of TW1+2
- Make potions and decoctions last longer and give them lengthy drinking animation, so that drinking them in combat becomes a more tactical choice
- Creating alchemical items for the first time should stay as is, but refilling/remaking them should take less ingredients
- Make it possible to extract alchemical ingredients from other items (like crafting components or food/drink items)

yes please I TOTALLY hate the autorefill, it was so good the system as it was in tw1 and tw2 !

I would like to see a search function in Alchemy/Crafting/Character/Bestiary/Journal/etc. menus - basically everywhere except probably Map menu. Often it's a really pain in the bun to search for a particular monster or recipe in those menus.
I also gonna throw another thing in here, though it's a wrong thread for it. Have three separate map markers - main (story) quest, secondary (also for treasure hunts, contracts), and custom. We now have two of them (quest and custom), but only one functions properly, and by that I mean it shows a follow along path. I think it would be a nice feature to have, separate markers for separate tasks (differently coloured of course) which would also show you a path. Or if it feels too bloated on the minimap, then have it like now, but also add path to custom marker.

Last edited:

pimac

Forum regular
I don't know if it's been said or not but here's my suggestions:

-Remember how you put your "tabs" (Oils, Potion etc) if you are at a vendor and going from ALCHEMY to ITEMS. Exemple: if you closed up Oils and Potions just to have Decoctions, let it that way so that we don't have to close then down again

-Let us choose which alcool to use. I only have some Alcohest but I have 100+ Dwarven Spirit, why don't you just let me use those??

-If I can't use right now an item that a vendor is selling, put the required level IN RED so that I don't buy it foolishly thinking that this +5 DMG is usable right now...

-Have a filter of BETTER & WEARABLE at the armorer and weaponsmith when I want to craft something, this way I will know what is better for me NOW, instead of showing me what is going to be good for in like 15 levels

EDIT: -If I can't use right now an item that a vendor is selling, put the required level IN RED so that I don't buy it foolishly thinking that this +5 DMG is usable right now... <===this has been done! Yay!

Last edited:
Please fix the bug where you need a pair of enhanced wolven gauntlets to be able to craft the mastercrafted legendary ones.

I had to use console commands to finish my Witcher armor sets and I dislike cheating. Also, now I have a bunch of quest items I can't drop and needed a mod to compensate for carry weight.

-My take on alchemy so far is their attempts to streamline it have not only made it less enjoyable, but infinitely more fiddly as it requires constant menu switching now.

-Many of the early skills are mundane mechanics that should have been built into the basic system, like slowdown time effect for casting bombs or shooting crossbow.

-The crafting menu is highly inefficient and the system is poorly explained. It's hard to find the right blacksmith to craft what I need.

-I don't get decoctions. They jack my toxicity up to the max but seem to offer little benefit.

-Not a fan of removing economy management for oils.

I'm still investing in alchemy on my first run since that was one of the things I liked most about the Witcher, but so far I'm underwhelmed. The tree seems uninspired and a hassle to use.

Last edited:
There is really huge number of different potions, decoctions and oils which player should use in battle or just before. Too much, as i belive. So I wish to propose some mechanics changes: make decoctions have a small but permanent effect, instead of long-term moderate effect. If so, collection of decoctions recipies would become a mini goal for a player, beacaues, even small permanent improvements of antagonist characteristics psychologically satisfies players much stronger then hypothetical possibility to apply decoction before battle (which possibility is used too rare).
(I have never used decoctions as they is in the game now, and I have never had a desire to do it)
Also, I wish to propose small changes on oils: to prolong duration or even make it everlasting. In this case, player will not have to renew the oil, but will have to choose between the different oil types, while fighting with different monster breeds. This changes will make gameplay more enjoyable, I believe.

Not going to argue about swords, as the witcher kit *isn't* substantially better than alternatives, but if you think you had "better" looted armours for fighting monsters than the witcher sets, optimally used, then you misunderstand how armour works in the game.

The "Armour" value is the least useful part of the armour definition (0-450 ish over the course of the game).. but you are being hit by some *normal* creatures by upwards of 3000 damage at a time** and even more from some Redskull overlevelled types.... so a small increase in damage resistance is *far* more useful than the raw armour value. Most armours you find have *no* protection against monsters or elemental damage... and the dlc sets have some, but not a huge amount.

Planning ahead and using appropriate armour types for the *main* threat you will face is definitely worthwhile, and this means a combination of different witcher sets and the highest level dlc you can equip if you want to maximise protection, depending on whether you are facing monsters or humans.

Obviously though, where resistances are the same, the flat armour value has utility *except* against attacks using "elemental" style, where it is Only resistance that counts.

Hi there. Thoought of coming back to see what was new in the forum since i beat the game this summer, because of some review i read on PCgamer. The fact that i beat the game without understandig these fine points of yours on armour management says it all about the system mechanics and the game difficulty (i.e. complex and all in all negligible). I am no way an uberplayer, but i played all RPG P&P back in the day and also in modern times, so im no stranger to stats and characteristics. Also, i find it pretty sad on a roleplaying point of view to bring along several armours and getting dressed for success depending on the enemy you want to face. I dont like how items and level are managed in the game, i just dont, and this really affects the enjoyment of the game.

Truth be told, im not too kind of tackling the game again. The story is superb but it fails on the mechanics, imo. It gets in my way too often, it manages to be in-your-face and complicated but negligible at the same time.

if there were a mod that overhauls the game completely ill be very keen on playing it again. As it is, im satisfied with just one playthough.

Last edited:
Random loot should not break the craft

Hi,

Sorry if a topic like that already exists. Tried the search function, but with no success. I will (re)move it if I can find a better place for this post.
I don't really like to create a topic for a little matter like that, but, hey, suggestion it is.

My complaint (yeah, complaint it is!) is about craft. I just tried to farm some troll liver, and I just can't. So I'm stuck with some recipes I will never be able to craft. So, I'm sad now, and I don't like to be sad. : (

So, it's a suggestion part, and I don't know if CD Projekt RED really have time to read these forums, but I couldn't give up without one try : please, do something so the guys who like to craft everything can do it. It should be easy with some merchant or some monster who can respawn (in my specific case, can't understand why the troll near the bridge was removed ;_; ).

Please, it's hard to spend more than 200 hours to just not be able to have the last oils (oil is good! oil is important!), or some other things. : ( I was able to pass on the succubus and doppler decoctions (moral choice comes with a cost), but for the rest, it's... well, not unfair, but just sad. And sad is bad (not like oil, which is good!).

Complaint complete. : )

Cdpr, take note from Fallout IV crafting system

I usually don't bring games from other companies in discussion, but I think, at the core, Witcher crafting system simply misses the whole point of crafting to begin with: your own Customization.

It would be far more satisfying if we had something similar here and player had the opportunity of creating something that you can "mold" exactly to your liking... a sword where each part would have specific properties, weight having impact on speed, stat synergies, ability to name the item...ultimately giving the player impression of creating something unique that you can "tailor" to your own play style.

If it's not too late consider adding this to the coming expansion.
Equipment customization and loot in this game need a lot more depth and refining than what we've seen in the base game.

More like Inquisition, then.
But the cost for customization should be high according with the stats buffs, and also it should not repeat the mistake Inquisition made. Meaning, you craft your own weapon and then every standard item became useless because your weapon is the strongest.

True, tricky part would be balancing it...but still a huge improvement over the current system.
On a scale of 1-5 , I would say the highest quality crafted gear would go never go farther than 4, with 5 equals "legendary" gear , something you receive from boss battles/ high level opponents. Elite gear would also have unique properties, unobtainable through crafting (that would be more "raw" in comparison), giving "character" to each weapon( anyone remember Equalizer from BG II) or their own history...like a sword from Icewind Dale II with a story about barbarian who crossed the world in search of his family.
Plus this would also be a good way to make lower level gear that you receive from bandit camps/etc a lot more useful.

Hello,

I like to play a bit of hybrid and I got to thinking, could multi colored mutagens be added with say full or 2/3 effective bonus % happen?

This way I can mix and match more colors.

It would still take 3/3 of a certain type to make except you would need 3/3 of both colors, making it more expensive but you can play around a bit more with what abilities you take.

or say a tri colored mutagen so we could have one of each.

Currently i'm using 7 blue, 2 green, last 3 don't count toward a mutagen.

I'm just wondering if this could be implemented.

Thanks!

Herbarium - Herbs locationts and Infos like Bestiary

The only way to get rapidly herbs is to purchase it. It would be a nice idea have infos about where plants grows so you can pick them up.
I mean the common area...like this

Probably waaay too late for new features, something that would be immensely useful ( for alchemy builds, particularly) would be the ability to mix your own decoctions. For example, maybe there is container you can purchase from alchemists, in it you can add up to three potions, put it in your pocket and pop it during combat and you get all three at once. Would be much better than trying to fumble with popping a potion, switching pockets popping another, then going into inventory for another during combat, which is just lame and flow-breaking.

Please add some new recipes for alchemy and bombs! Also, it would add to game more exploration time if you change alchemy refill system. Using only one ingredient to refill all potions and bombs makes it too easy and plants are no longer needed when further in game. Make it that we always need plants for refilling (maybe all of them seperetly) potions, at least on Death March.

Hi, this is my first post to this forum.
I have a question/suggestion about the crafting menu.
If this alredy is possible in some way, then I would be happy to know how, otherwise this will be a suggestion to the crafting menu.

So. When Crafting, is it possible to see, when you are in the crafting menu, how many of the item/material that you already have in stock?
This feature would be really handy. (this also applies when dealing with shopsman/merchandise people. When you are looking to buy some of the shopmens items it would be great if you can see quickly if you have that item already, or if you have it, then see how many of it you got.

Thanks

Top Bottom