Ambush pretty OP right now

+
Ninschi;n8402130 said:
Well, that sounds reasonable, but doesn't really work out in play, since the buffed up component can as well be a Sapper / Ele'yas. Are you really willing to pass earlier and not use your last hand-card for the ~50% possibility that it's Toruviel? Are you even ahead to make that kind of play? From my experience with and against ST, that's very unlikely (and wise, since I would rather buff up Sapper instead of Toruviel, if I have both in hand).

I agree that reducing the buff to 2 (or even 1, but then - whats the point of it?) might help out a bit, but I fear that the meta then simply switches to Ele'yas neophyte spam, which works out similary.

Don't get me wrong - I really like those mechanics too, but mobility shouldn't be used on ambush cards themself as it makes the read for your opponent sooo much harder. Ambush itself is not the culprit, but stacking is as well as the fact that your opponent gets little to no information about the possible ambush identity. The game is growing and additional ambush cards are somewhat guaranteed to be implemented. However, every new ambush card makes it even worse for your opponent. That's why, I would love to see a more defined subset of ambush cards that can be identified by an experienced opponent --> remove agility from all ambush cards, but Toruviel and maybe display the ambush cards color (Bronze, Silver, Gold) when played face down.

But that's literally an opposite of an ambush. You aren't supposed to know what it is. As I said lots of the time already, they could probably implement a silver/bronze (might be too strong for a bronze) card which will have 2 options: Destroy a trap (like Morenn) or do something else (kind of like Rally double effect).

KasumiGoto;n8402860 said:
But that's literally an opposite of an ambush. You aren't supposed to know what it is. As I said lots of the time already, they could probably implement a silver/bronze (might be too strong for a bronze) card which will have 2 options: Destroy a trap (like Morenn) or do something else (kind of like Rally double effect).

Well, the point is not to make it 100% obvious, but at least allow the opponent to trimm it down to 1-2-3 possible cards.

Ambush Cards

Is it just me or do you also find the Ambush cards little too strong? I don't mean the specific cards, only the concept of a card type against which you have no defense at all (only exception being Morenn, but it rather serves as Operator combo).
Wouldn't it be better to have let's say at least one card that could be used against it?

Is Scoia'Tael too OP??

Around 50% of my opponents when I have 3.5k+ mmr are Scoia'tael control. After enough games playing this deck and against this deck, I feel like Scoia'tael vs most decks favor the Scoia'tael player. The only deck in my experience that has a good shot at beating Scoia'tael is consume monsters. This is because consume monsters are easily able to generate lots of power through individual cards, the cards like Scorch are not as effective against this matchup because the minions usually never become the same power as another, and because of how easily monsters can get another big minion to replace the former.

What is Scoia'tael has that makes them powerful:
  • Handbuffs like dragoons are strong because Scoia'tael is the best faction at getting card advantage.
  • Cards like Saskia and Isengrim offer huge power swings with lots of power on board.
  • Ambush cards like Toruviel are very difficult for anyone to counter, since the only way to weaken them is via weather, however using weather vs Scoia'tael is often a bad idea since they usually obtain card advantage and they always run 3 First Lights.
  • Any deck that requires them to set up minions like Northern Realms and Skellige have a very difficult time against this deck.

My suggestion for nerfs:
  • Rework the dragoons to something like a buff on the board, because having a card that buffs cards in hand combined with card advantage often times leads to a fat minion that the opponent cannot shut down. This nerf still keeps Scoia'tael’s win condition by getting card advantage, however they cannot abuse it to play a super buffed minion as their last card.
  • Personally I think that Saskia is too much of a power swing on just one card alone, so my personal change would be to allow the user to pick if they wanted to nuke the enemy for 1 or buff your board for 1.

For these nerfs to make all factions viable, CD Projekt Red should buff Skellige and Nilfgaard.

I am curious to hear what different experiences on the matchup vs Scoia'tael and let me know of your thoughts.

Edit: Right now consume monsters seems to be more popular right now, however whenever I play Scoia'tael against consume monsters, I usually win the game due to card advantage and board control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well saskia is a gold legendary card they cannot nerf it to become weaker than harald which is a gold epic card that deals 2 damage to all opposing units on board. But i agree that saskia needs a nerf of some kind because it is overpowered as hell. They should start 1st by nerfing its base strength from 7 to 5 or 4 and keep theit ability

ST has to be nerfed, the bullshit buffed face down cards you can't do anything about and hey why not the double or triple scorch because ST isn't OP enough. Nerf is coming but CDPR likely won't do anything before that Poland tournament / season end / open beta start.

My expierence...

I did play in the last few days a lot of qwent in no time to rank 9 now 11.
Nice selfmade monster weather deck unstopable :).
But then i needed one whole day to rank 11, cause i lost 1000mr thanks to in my eyes called bug.

They are basically autowin until you are not completly a failure.
Well Hidden Units are untouchable by everything non spell will work tryed it.
You can try scroch even if its non gold highest unit on the field.
They cant get revealed or beeing hurt at all.
Secondly weather dont count on them from the start and if the units pops at the end of the match the weather doesnt affect them at all.
Round ends befor weather did even count.
Thats some unfair stuff and basically the whole rank system above 10 is elves devour catapultes with promoted that still doesnt count in graveyard.
So basically i am salty....... i am free to play player so basically i cant switch to that bug abuse stuff.

By the way only way to win against elves is a perfect draw and you have to go all in. First Round must be a win, Second Round you need to bring the hidden Upgraded Unit out. Third Round you need to overpower them somehow. Thats were you see the coin toss on the beginning declares your fate.

metro_krkljanac;n8453710 said:
ST has to be nerfed, the bullshit buffed face down cards you can't do anything about and hey why not the double or triple scorch because ST isn't OP enough. Nerf is coming but CDPR likely won't do anything before that Poland tournament / season end / open beta start.

While I fully agree that buffed ambush cards need to go, there is no reason to take away ST's spells. They have no resurrection (which is ultra-powerful). Taking away dragoons ability to buff ambush cards will bring ST right where they should be as long as monsters and northern realms is taken care of, also.

Bloodymir99;n8527290 said:
My expierence...

I did play in the last few days a lot of qwent in no time to rank 9 now 11.
Nice selfmade monster weather deck unstopable :).
But then i needed one whole day to rank 11, cause i lost 1000mr thanks to in my eyes called bug.

They are basically autowin until you are not completly a failure.
Well Hidden Units are untouchable by everything non spell will work tryed it.
You can try scroch even if its non gold highest unit on the field.
They cant get revealed or beeing hurt at all.
Secondly weather dont count on them from the start and if the units pops at the end of the match the weather doesnt affect them at all.
Round ends befor weather did even count.
Thats some unfair stuff and basically the whole rank system above 10 is elves devour catapultes with promoted that still doesnt count in graveyard.
So basically i am salty....... i am free to play player so basically i cant switch to that bug abuse stuff.

By the way only way to win against elves is a perfect draw and you have to go all in. First Round must be a win, Second Round you need to bring the hidden Upgraded Unit out. Third Round you need to overpower them somehow. Thats were you see the coin toss on the beginning declares your fate.

Rank 10/11 is right about where you start seeing some real decks. Weather monsters will be really tough to win with in that range. Also, if you think ST is tough, just wait until you rank a bit further and have to deal with Consume and Henselt decks.

Top Bottom