AMD and Nvidia Ray Tracing Needs Fixing on The Witcher 3 Version 4.0

+
Not enough memory on a 4090 to both record and play at that resolution i'm afraid. At least thats what i think it is. Had to downscale the recording to 3440X1440. Plus you can't really record "AI" resolutions properly.
HAGS=Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
I am uploading another video as we speak that shows the resolution chosen in game.
Thanks for the additional info! I forget not everyone has a dual PC setup so recording on same PC will not show full potential.

Is it me or since when does DLSS not boost performance when not using RTX?

I quite remember playing CP2077 without RTX and gaining quite a lot with DLSS.

Anybody could try DLSS without RTX and see if they are also not moving the needle?

Thanks for the additional info! I forget not everyone has a dual PC setup so recording on same PC will not show full potential.
If i had a 4000 card in the other pc, i'd do it. No reason for dual with these cards though.

There is the video with DSR resolution. Needs highest performance on the DLSS, but still. At that resolution, it looks quite good. Videos are only recorded in CQP 20 so it is pretty lossy.

If i had a 4000 card in the other pc, i'd do it. No reason for dual with these cards though.

There is the video with DSR resolution. Needs highest performance on the DLSS, but still. At that resolution, it looks quite good. Videos are only recorded in CQP 20 so it is pretty lossy.
Dang that is freaking gorgeous. I'm starting to think the devs only did the upgrade patch with RTX 4090s and just assumed every other GPU below it will play just fine. LOL! How much you paid for yours?
Post automatically merged:

Yes, with RT OFF I have no problems, game runs great.
But the extreme CPU and GPU demands of RT are definitely surprising. I even upgraded recently to 5800X3D and 3080Ti, was confident this would give me 60fps with RT in 1440p and DLSS quality.

No dice, in any populated place the framerate plummets because RT kills CPU.

However, I now realize it probably makes sense. The game was developed at a time when realtime RT was not even a twinkle in CDP programmer's eyes.

Who knows what ungodly hacks and rituals had to be performed to make it run in that version of the engine.

But again, CDP should have set proper expectations upfront. And of course, the crashing issue, which is easily repeateble and widespread, should have been fixed before launch. Even if it meant delaying the PC version.
Apparently, it seems the highest end hardware like RTX 4090 can run this game great with RT on according to another user here who showcased his RT performance metrics on YouTube. It's like the devs only used RTX 4090s and assumed that every other GPU should perform great since RTX 4090 did.

Last edited:
Dang that is freaking gorgeous. I'm starting to think the devs only did the upgrade patch with RTX 4090s and just assumed every other GPU below it will play just fine. LOL! How much you paid for yours?
Got a MSI TrioX at their MSRP, which is way to much still. But hey, i have saved up and turned 50 so i figured, what the hell.

Is it me or since when does DLSS not boost performance when not using RTX?

I quite remember playing CP2077 without RTX and gaining quite a lot with DLSS.

Anybody could try DLSS without RTX and see if they are also not moving the needle?

There you go. DLSS without RT. DLSS at Ultra performance, but all the rest is at Ultra+. Looks ugly as sin, but the performance is there at least.

Last edited:
There you go. DLSS without RT. DLSS at Ultra performance, but all the rest is at Ultra+. Looks ugly as sin, but the performance is there at least.

Thank you for your time. So, in short, you are getting FPS boost with DLSS even without RT, as it is suppose to be.

Anyone else, like me, not getting any extra performances with DLSS?

Hi,
I!m having exactly same problem. RT performs poorly when I manage to load a game with it.
When I try to tamper with RT out of Kaer Morhen, game crashes and keeps crashing until I turn RT off.
With RT off game is stable on ultra+ details.

Normally have no problems with games with RT.

My specs are:
NVIDIA 3070 ti (laptop)'
12th gen intel i7-12700H
16GB RAM
WIN11

Hi,
I!m having exactly same problem. RT performs poorly when I manage to load a game with it.
When I try to tamper with RT out of Kaer Morhen, game crashes and keeps crashing until I turn RT off.

My specs are:
NVIDIA 3070 ti (laptop)'
12th gen intel i7-12700H
16GB RAM
WIN11

Oh and just found out, that if I load my save from wine and blood DLC, problem with crashing disappears. Although RT is still not working exactly good.

In basic game, I tried my old and new saves, but it still crashed.

Last edited:
Those are nice specs! In most cases it would've and should've played decently but something went wrong during the RT implementation and now a majority of users can't even enjoy RT despite having the hardware capable of great RT performance.
Well thank you that makes me feel better! I’m sure the RT will be addressed and maybe I can play with it soon!

Hi,

My specs are:
NVIDIA 3070 ti (laptop)'
12th gen intel i7-12700H
16GB RAM
WIN11

Oh and just found out, that if I load my save from wine and blood DLC, problem with crashing disappears. Although RT is still not working exactly good.

In basic game, I tried my old and new saves, but it still crashed.
Interesting... I haven't tried the DLC yet but the base game seems to have RT issues? Very interesting.

Well thank you that makes me feel better! I’m sure the RT will be addressed and maybe I can play with it soon!
I have hope for this as well. And no problem! I used to game on a Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1660 Super but now it's my secondary PC and my main PC has Ryzen 9 3900XT and RX 6700 XT.

Like I said yesterday on Reddit, this update is so buggy performance wise (PC) and somebody fucked up pretty badly.
So I'm just going to copy my comment from Reddit overhere.

"I have an rtx 3080ti and a 1080p panel, I didn't have the money to upgrade the monitor this year so I'm stuck at full hd resolution, but here is the thing: I'm getting below 60fps in some areas, even when i have 60+ fps it stutters a lot (with RT ON and OFF) in DX12 mode. Also, DLSS seems to be broken because no matter the setting, I don't see a performance boost. Prior to this patch, I was getting like 100+ fps, and I had a lot of mods like: HD Reworked textures, HD monsters, etc.. I can't believe that an update that was nearly 3 years in development got released like this. It's like they didn't even tested it."
EDIT: I forgot to mention I have a 5900x, 32 gigs of ram.

Let's hope that we get some answers soon. I'm really bummed out about this because I was hoping to start another playthrough. Maybe I will roll back to 1.32 patch and wait for them to release a fix.

Yeah, maybe, forgot to check that since the Afterburner overlay does not show. I'll check after a gaming session, but I have a 3700x, I doubt that this is the issue.
3700X is still a darn great CPU today. Less latency on it compared to Ryzen 9 3900X.

Like I said yesterday on Reddit, this update is so buggy performance wise (PC) and somebody fucked up pretty badly.
So I'm just going to copy my comment from Reddit overhere.

"I have an rtx 3080ti and a 1080p panel, I didn't have the money to upgrade the monitor this year so I'm stuck at full hd resolution, but here is the thing: I'm getting below 60fps in some areas, even when i have 60+ fps it stutters a lot (with RT ON and OFF) in DX12 mode. Also, DLSS seems to be broken because no matter the setting, I don't see a performance boost. Prior to this patch, I was getting like 100+ fps, and I had a lot of mods like: HD Reworked textures, HD monsters, etc.. I can't believe that an update that was nearly 3 years in development got released like this. It's like they didn't even tested it."
EDIT: I forgot to mention I have a 5900x, 32 gigs of ram.

Let's hope that we get some answers soon. I'm really bummed out about this because I was hoping to start another playthrough. Maybe I will roll back to 1.32 patch and wait for them to release a fix.
Dang those are fantastic specs and it still struggles even with RT off? Holy cow... and yeah AMD FSR 2.1 also does nothing to improve RT performance when it works.

3700X is still a darn great CPU today. Less latency on it compared to Ryzen 9 3900X.

Dang those are fantastic specs and it still struggles even with RT off? Holy cow... and yeah AMD FSR 2.1 also does nothing to improve RT performance when it works.

Yeah that's what I mean as in "I don't think that it is the issue".

I restarted the game and now I could see some uptick with different DLSS. Very strange.

And today I saw that they posted on twitter that "they are investigateing" that's cool and all but they stated the following:
  • Low Ray Tracing performance on Intel GPUs.
I don't know if they are playing dumb or this is just a PR thing but people with NVIDIA and AMD GPUs are having lot's of problems with performance IN GENERAL and not only with RT. So it's not only with Intel GPUs. Performance is a train wreck on all of the GPUs.

Last edited:
And today I saw that they posted on twitter that "they are investigateing" that's cool and all but they stated the following:
  • Low Ray Tracing performance on Intel GPUs.
I don't know if they are playing dumb or this is just a PR thing but people with NVIDIA and AMD GPUs are having lot's of problems with performance IN GENERAL and not only with RT. So it's not only with Intel GPUs performance is a train wreck.
Amazing how they're only detailing Intel GPUs LMAO!!! Oh and here's the kicker, "Players with less powerful hardware who experience performance issues might want to consider playing the game using the DirectX 11 Version." They're straight up saying "well, if you don't have a RTX 4090? Tough Sh*t." :ROFLMAO:

Yep.

I have a PC that slightly exceeds CDPR's own official requirements.

I have

8700K 4.6GHz
EVGA RTX 3080 Hybrid FTW
32 GB DDR4 3200
1TB PCI-E NVME
Win 11 Pro

Running the game with these settings

1440p - DLSS balanced (also tried perf, no difference in performance)
RT: Only RT GI turned on (CDPR says these specs should be good for RT GI and RT AO)
Other settings:
Background chars - Ultra
Shadows - High
Terrarian quality - Ultra
Water quality - Ultra
Foliage range - High
Foliage density - High
Texture quality - Ultra+
Detail level - Ultra

First segment of the game makes you think it's gonna run just fine. But things nose dive once you get to the first village. Goes from 60-80 FPS (v-sync off for testing) to 35-45 FPS. Basically it seems anytime you aren't out in the middle of the woods the FPS drops dramatically. Like the ride to the base where you get the contract for the Gryphon runs fine. Walk into the base and it drops to 40 FPS. Turn RT GI off and right back to 80+ FPS.

Noticed some weird things. Like performance going from 35-45 FPS but then a cutscene starts in the exact same area and it's 60+. Goes back to gameplay and right back to 35-45.

And yeah I can't load any saves, new or old with RT enabled. Just crashes.

I recorded all this using shadowplay with the GFE performance overlay on. Then when I pulled up the video found out that the performance overlay isn't visible in the recording. Dangit.

Top Bottom